Browsing: Middle East News

‘In letters to the United Nations, Syria has demanded compensation from the US and its “illegitimate coalition” allies for bombing civilian targets and destroying the country’s infrastructure, calling for an immediate halt to such strikes.

Syria’s permanent mission at the United Nations made the comments in two letters addressed to the world body’s secretary-general and the UN Security Council’s president, RT reported on Friday.

The Damascus government “insists that these attacks must come to an end, and that the members of this illegitimate coalition must bear the political and legal responsibility for the destruction of infrastructure in the Syrian Arab Republic, including responsibility for compensation,” said the letters.

The letters also underlined that the ongoing US-led airstrikes – purportedly aimed at destroying Daesh terrorists – “continue to claim the lives of hundreds of innocent Syrian civilians.”’

Read more: Syria demands reparation from US, allies for destroying Syria infrastructure

‘The new report on Gaza by a team led by Robert Piper, the United Nations’ chief humanitarian coordinator in Palestine, makes for disturbing reading.

That’s not only because of the alarming statistics or “indicators” about the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, of which there is no shortage in the report.

That the situation in Gaza is untenable, its population living in a pressure cooker that gets worse by the day, is clear to anyone who pays attention.

The UN has previously predicted that Gaza would become “unlivable” by the year 2020.

Piper’s report “tries to look past the polemic and review – as we approach 2020 – the socioeconomic, humanitarian and human rights disaster that is unfolding in Gaza and to advocate on behalf of the two million people trapped in this sad reality.”

Pushing for Gaza’s surrender
Yet what the report actually does is reveal how the UN has apparently aligned with Israel and its international backers in pushing for Gaza’s total surrender to its tormentors.’

Read more: Why is UN pushing for Gaza’s surrender?

‘At least four people have reportedly lost their lives during clashes in the occupied Palestinian lands as tensions (#SaveAlAqsa) remain high there in the wake of the Tel Aviv regime’s crackdown on Palestinian worshipers wishing to pray at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound.

Palestinian medical sources and witnesses, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a Palestinian teenager, identified as 17-year-old Muhammad Mahmoud Sharaf from the predominantly Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan on the outskirts of the Old City of Jerusalem al-Quds, was fatally shot in Ras al-Amud neighborhood of East Jerusalem al-Quds on Friday afternoon, Arabic-language Ma’an news agency reported.

Witnesses said Sharaf was shot in the neck by an Israeli settler, and later succumbed to his wounds.

Palestinian protesters arranged Sharaf’s funeral shortly after his death amid speculations that Israeli authorities might seize his body. Participants in the funeral chanted slogans in memory of the teenager, and in support of al-Aqsa Mosque.’

Read more: Four Palestinians killed during al-Aqsa Mosque rallies

‘Three Israelis have been killed in an attack in the West Bank, Israeli officials have said.

The attack comes at the end of a day of violence between Israelis and Palestinians. Tensions have arisen over new security measures put in place at a holy shrine in Jerusalem.

Israeli media reported that said the three dead were all members of the same family, two men aged 60 and 40 and a woman of 40. The wounded woman, 68, was hospitalised with stab wounds to her back. A still photo carried by Israeli television showed a kitchen floor completely red with blood.

The family had sat down to a traditional Friday evening meal when the attack occurred, according to Israel Radio. The Israeli army said the assailant slipped into the settlement under cover of darkness to carry out his attack.’

Read more: West Bank attack: Three Israelis stabbed to death amid day of violent clashes

‘Prime Minister Theresa May has been urged to talk to the UK’s Saudi allies about forthcoming executions as new figures show £3.3 billion worth of arms sales to the Gulf regime have been licensed in the past three years alone.

The human rights charity Reprieve has warned that 14 men, including one arrested as a minor, are set to be executed by the Saudi authorities for cybercrime offenses.

MPs, including former Labour leader Ed Miliband, have signed a letter to the PM asking her to try and intervene to stop the sentences being carried out.

Reprieve and the MPs have both warned that the men, who allegedly signed confessions under torture, could have been caught and held by Saudi personnel who had received training by UK security forces.

Tory MP Andrew Mitchell and the Liberal Democrats’ Tom Brake also signed the letter which asks May “to take urgent steps to confirm that UK assistance played no role in these individuals’ conviction under Saudi Arabia’s anti-cybercrime law.”’

Read more: May urged to intervene in Saudi executions as figures show arms sale bonanza

‘At least eight fishermen have been killed and another has gone missing when Saudi fighter jets carried out an airstrike off the coast of Yemen’s western province of Hudaydah as the Riyadh regime continues its aerial bombardment campaign against its crisis-stricken southern neighbor.

An unnamed military source told the al-Masirah television network that the aircraft struck a fishing boat in waters off the coast of al-Khawkhah district, located more than 150 kilometers southwest of the capital Sana’a, on Friday evening.

Earlier in the day, Yemeni forces and allied fighters from Popular Committees had launched a number of Zelzal-1 heavy artillery rockets as well as Katyusha rockets at a position of Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to Yemen’s resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in Midi desert in the northwestern province of Hajjah, inflicting losses on the mercenaries.

Yemeni soldiers and Popular Committees fighters also launched an attack against Saudi border guards in the kingdom’s southwestern border region of Asir, leaving one soldier dead.’

Read more: Saudi air raid leaves eight Yemeni fishermen dead, another missing

‘The Egyptian military says it has killed 30 militants over the course of four days in ground and air raids in the restive Sinai Peninsula​.

The military said in a statement on Friday that 30 “highly dangerous” militants had been killed and five others arrested in the operations in the province of North Sinai.

The army, however, did not explain what group the militants belonged to.

Earlier this month, Egypt was hit by one of the worst attacks on its security forces in years. At least 23 soldiers were killed and 26 more wounded in two bombings, claimed by the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, that targeted security checkpoints south of Rafah City in northern Sinai on July 7.’

Read more: Egypt kills 30 ‘highly dangerous’ militants in Sinai

‘Yemen’s ballooning cholera epidemic is now the single biggest outbreak of the disease since records began, infecting more than 360,000 people as the country also struggles with war, famine and imminent state collapse.

Since the first suspected case was recorded in March the outbreak has surpassed the previous annual record of new cases set by Haiti in 2011 340,311, Oxfam said on Friday, and has the potential to infect over 600,000 people.

Almost 2,000 people have already died from the acute diarrhoeal infection caused by ingestion of contaminated food or water. Cholera can kill the old, young and otherwise sick in hours if fluids are not replaced…

…Less than half of the country’s medical centres are still functional, 14.5 million people don’t have regular access to clean water, and in several provinces health and sanitation workers have not been paid in months.

The circumstances have made it difficult for international aid organisations to operate. Last week, the UN said that up to one million doses of cholera vaccines may have to be diverted elsewhere thanks to logistical difficulties caused by the Saudi-led siege on the country.’

Read more: Yemen cholera epidemic now worst in modern history at 360,000 cases and counting

‘U.S. President Donald Trump is creating dozens of innocent casualties a day as he takes on the Islamic State in a bombing campaign in the Middle East risking to double the numbers his predecessor Barack Obama had according to Airwars a watchdog organization who did an investigation for The Daily Beast.

“Airwars researchers estimated that at least 2,300 civilians died from Coalition strikes overseen by the Obama White House—roughly 80 each month in Iraq and Syria,” The Daily Beast wrote.

As of July 13, the Beast estimated that more than 2,200 civilians have been killed under Trump’s coalition raids since he was inaugurated to be the 45th President of the United States. In under a year, Trump’s administration has killed an estimated upwards of 360 per month, or 12 or more civilians killed every single day.’

Read more: Trump’s Bombing Campaign In Middle East Has Already Killed At Least 2,200 Civilians

1