'The World Health Organization (WHO) says nearly 400 people have been killed and a lot more injured since Libya’s renegade general Khalifa Haftar launched a major military offensive to seize the Libyan capital of Tripoli last month.
The Geneva-based organization, which is the specialized United Nations agency on international public health, announced on Friday that at least 392 people had been killed and 1,936 wounded since forces allied with the so-called Libyan National Army (LNA) led by strongman Haftar launched an offensive against the internationally-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli on April 4.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) also expressed concern about the alarming levels of displacement near the Libyan capital, saying more than 50,000 people had been displaced as a direct result "of the intensifying armed conflict in Tripoli.”
According to @IOM_Libya #DTM,there are now over 50,000 displaced persons as a direct result to the intensifying armed conflict in #Tripoli. While our response continues to provide needed support to affected populations, we are concerned about the alarming figures of displacement. pic.twitter.com/aQZ8vGUG8K
— IOM Libya (@IOM_Libya) May 3, 2019
Additionally, Othman Abdel Jalil, the GNA's education minister and the head of the government's crisis committee, said on Thursday that the conflict had displaced 55,000 people (some 11,000 families). Jalil added that 40 reception centers and 27 schools had opened their doors to render aid to those in need.
Earlier this week, the UN warned against the "continuing deterioration" of humanitarian situation in the North African country as fierce fighting rages on between rival forces for control of the capital.'
Read more: Nearly 400 killed, 50,000 displaced in Libya conflict: UN