'Brussels is ready to fight any British attempts to renegotiate fishing quotas in the seas around the UK for two years after Brexit - and it appears the May government could be backing down.
EU diplomats agree that Britain should effectively remain governed by the EU’s common fisheries policy (CFP) during the transition period, but should not have a role in deciding the catches elsewhere in Europe. Given that quotas are set in December for the following year, then a two-year transition would mean the CFP would still apply to the UK for two years and nine months up to December 2021.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove claimed last year that the UK would “take back control” of its waters after Brexit by exiting the CFP, which gives member states fishing rights between 12 and 200 nautical miles off the UK’s coastline.
That was a claim reiterated by Prime Minister Theresa May in the Commons. She said: “We will be leaving the European Union on March 29 2019, we will therefore be leaving the Common Fisheries Policy and the Common Agricultural Policy at that date.”
Gove’s confident claim, however, has not been heard since. One EU diplomat believes he may have quietly conceded that the UK will be unable to discuss fishing quotas until the end of the transition period.
The diplomat told the Guardian: “We notice Gove hasn’t repeated that recently. Perhaps he has been reined in, because it isn’t going to happen.”'
Read more: EU plans to keep Britain locked into fish quotas for years after Brexit
Did you like this article?
Thank you for your vote!
7 minutes ago
Terror bobbies on the CHEAP: Volunteers will be used to take on jihadis in just one of the controversial new plans to deploy the public on the crime-fighting beat
18 January 2018
Britain is battered by 95mph winds as Storm Fionn blows in with drivers warned to 'stay off the roads' due to 'persistent and heavy snow' that may cut off rural communities
17 January 2018
Brexit: European Union membership is 'still open' for Britain, both EU presidents say
15 January 2018
France tells Britain to take in MORE migrants and pay for MORE security at Calais as it seeks to rewrite border deal
14 January 2018
No wonder Trump ditched his trip! US tells tourists Britain is as dangerous as CONGO after president cancels his visit to London next month
From our advertisers
23 hours ago
U.S. Humiliates South Korea, Threatens North Korea. Trump Undermines North-South Dialogue
From our advertisers