'US Labor Secretary Alex Acosta will step down from his position, just days after holding a press conference to defend a plea deal he helped to obtain for sex offender Jeffrey Epstein as a US attorney over ten years ago.
President Donald Trump announced the resignation at the White House on Friday morning, with Acosta at his side. The president said he left the decision up to the secretary, and lauded him as a “great labor secretary, not a good one.”
“I thought the right thing was to step aside,” Acosta said.
Acosta has stood by his involvement in the 2007 Epstein case, in which he brokered a plea deal for the accused, but a federal judge ruled in February that the former prosecutor violated the law by failing to notify Epstein’s victims of the terms of the deal. Democratic critics of the Trump administration have since called for his resignation.
The secretary “must step down” because “he engaged in an unconscionable agreement” with Epstein, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-California) said last week. She was joined by the Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, who also demanded Acosta step down.
In a series of tweets attempting to address the criticisms, the now-former labor secretary said he was “pleased” to learn authorities were going ahead with another investigation of Epstein, who was arrested again on July 6 for sex trafficking and exploitation of minors, and pleaded not guilty in federal court on Monday.
“Now that new evidence and additional testimony is available, the NY prosecution offers an important opportunity to more fully bring him to justice,” Acosta said.
Epstein, a billionaire New York financier, was first convicted of soliciting prostitution from a 14-year-old in 2008, for which he served 13 months in custody. some of which was spent on work release, the plea deal secured for him by Acosta ensured his indictment was sealed, and that proceedings would no go forward to investigate 36 other potential victims identified by the FBI.'
Schumer got thousands in donations from Jeffrey Epstein
'Sen. Chuck Schumer — who called on Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta to resign and said President Trump should “answer” for his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein — accepted thousands of dollars in donations from the alleged pedophile throughout the 1990s, The Post has learned.
Federal Election Commission records show that Schumer received seven $1,000 donations from Epstein between 1992 and 1997, first as a US congressman from New York and then when he was vying to be the state’s senator in 1998, an election he won.
Epstein — who was arrested Saturday and charged with sex trafficking and a related conspiracy count for allegedly sexually abusing a vast network of underage girls — also gave $10,000 to Victory in New York, a joint fundraising committee established by Schumer and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
Epstein gave an additional $5,000 to Win New York, a Schumer-associated joint committee that benefited the Liberal Party of New York state.
Both of Epstein’s donations to the committees came in October 1998 — and look to have primarily benefited the DSCC and the Liberal Party of New York, as Epstein would have already met the $2,000 limit on donating individually to Schumer.
At the time, donors could give $1,000 to a candidate per election — once in the primary and again in the general.
That means Schumer and Schumer-linked entities received a combined $22,000.'
Read more ...
Prince Andrew partied with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein at billionaire's infamous $77m Manhattan mansion - just months after his jail release for soliciting young girls for sex
'Prince Andrew partied with his pedophile companion Jeffrey Epstein at the billionaire's $77million Manhattan mansion - just weeks after the shamed businessman was released from jail, DailyMail.com can reveal.
Epstein, hosted the bash in The Duke of York's honour as the Prince stayed at his home for four days in December 2010.
The 66-year-old hedge fund tycoon invited Andrew to stay after he had been released from prison in July following a 13-month prison term for soliciting girls as young as 14 for sex.
After his release and a year of house arrest in Palm Beach, Florida, Epstein hosted the star-studded dinner party in honor of his friend at his 71st Street mansion in New York, the same property raided by the FBI this week.
Guests at the intimate Manhattan townhouse soiree of around 15 people included Woody Allen, CBS anchor Katie Couric, Charlie Rose, Chelsea Handler and George Stephanopoulos.
It was just two months after the engagement of Prince William to Kate Middleton and the main topic of conversation was the forthcoming wedding of the future Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in London that coming April.
According to reports, Ms Couric recalled telling Andrew she would be broadcasting live from outside Westminster Abbey for the wedding and asked: 'If I mail your BlackBerry, will you give me the details on what is happening inside?'
The intimate get-together was hosted in the same month an embarrassing photo was taken showing Andrew deep in conversation with shamed Epstein as they strolled through Central Park.
The picture was published in February the following year and made headlines around the world, with questions being raised over the Duke's judgement in associating himself with the high-profile sex abuser.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace today insisted that the Prince, who had previously holidayed with Epstein in Thailand and invited him for stays at Windsor Castle and the Queen's country residence Sandringham, had not seen the pedophile since that photo was taken.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace today told DailyMail.com: 'The Duke of York has not visited any home of Mr Epstein or met with him since December 2010 when the photograph in Central Park was taken.''
Read more ...