'A manhunt is underway in the southeastern French city of Lyon after more than a dozen people were injured in the explosion of a "nail bomb".
The blast was caused by a "home-made bomb" in a case containing "an explosive charge and nuts and bolts", which went off at 5.30pm local time, said the interior ministry. The explosion occurred in the centre of France's third-largest city outside a boulangerie in rue Victor Hugo.
Prosecutors have launched a terror probe into the attack.
Police on Friday night issued an appeal for witnesses, publishing a grainy CCTV photo of the “dangerous” suspect, who is wearing large dark glasses and appears to be masked.
It said he was “wearing a dark top, light shorts and could be moving around by bike”.
According to French reports, the suspect in his early to mid-30s placed the case on the ground and made his escape on a mountain bike.
An eight-year old girl was reportedly among those hit by the blast but was not seriously hurt.
AFP cited police sources as saying that 13 people were injured and that 11 had been evacuated to hospital. None are in a serious condition, according to the mayor of the second arrondissement of Lyon, Denis Broliquier.
Police were able to track the suspects movements across the city on CCTV. “We have his itinerary there and back,” said Mr Broliquier. They lost him, however once he crossed the Rhone river to the East of the city.
The mayor said that while the bomb appeared to be the work of an “expert”, the "explosive charge was relatively weak”. Most of the injuries were caused by broken glass from a shop window.
French president Emmanuel Macron confirmed there had been an "attack in Lyon" but no deaths.
"My thoughts obviously go to the wounded and their families," he said during an interview.'
Read more: Manhunt underway after 13 injured in 'nail bomb' blast in French city of Lyon
Did you like this article?
Thank you for your vote!
12 June 2019
French parents sue government to make it disclose nappy brands containing toxic chemicals
From our advertisers
23 hours ago
Palestinians instantly reject Trump’s $50 billion economic peace plan: ‘Palestine is not for sale’
From our advertisers