'At least 290 people were killed in a series of blasts in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, updated casualty figures confirm. The government plans to hold a security council meeting to assess the threat level in the country.
In addition, around 500 people received various injuries when eight coordinated blasts struck churches and hotels in the country, as thousands celebrated Easter Sunday, police said on Monday morning, updating the body count from 207 to 290 victims.
At least 32 foreigners were among those killed. They included American, British, Turkish, Indian, Chinese, Danish, Dutch and Portuguese nationals.
So far security forces have identified and detained 24 suspects allegedly connected with the bombings, which targeted three churches and four luxury hotels. The eighth blast went off inside a house during a security operation later in the afternoon. Three police officers were killed in that explosion. A ninth bomb, apparently targeting Colombo’s international airport, was destroyed in a controlled explosion later in the day.
Even though a curfew, introduced in the wake of the unprecedented terror spree, was lifted on Monday, tight security measures remained in place, with armed military personnel deployed. So far there have been no claims of responsibility for the attacks.'
Source - RT
‘Why was warning ignored?’ Sri Lankan minister tweets intel letter from 10 days before bombings
A letter warning of imminent terrorist attacks and sent to security forces 10 days prior to the Easter Sunday bombing spree in Sri Lanka has been made public, raising questions as to whether law enforcement failed to act on it.
On April 11, Sri Lanka’s intelligence had issued a nationwide alert of possible suicide attacks being planned against Catholic Churches and potentially the Indian High Commission in Colombo by an extremist Islamist organization called the National Thowheed Jamath.
Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. What my father heard was also from an intelligence officer. Serious action need to be taken as to why this warning was ignored. I was in Badulla last night pic.twitter.com/ssJyItJF1x
— Harin Fernando (@fernandoharin) April 21, 2019
Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action,” cabinet member and Minister of Telecommunication, Digital Infrastructure Facilities, Foreign Employment and Sports, Harin Fernando said, showing the warning letter on Twitter.
Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored.
At least 207 people were killed, including dozens of foreigners, and over 450 are injured in a series of coordinated suicide attacks on churches and hotels in the country. No group has yet claimed responsibility for the atrocities.'
Source - RT