Helen Spilsbury, 33, of Manchester, was shocked because she thought her son Jack was already protected against measles, mumps and rubella
'A mother has issued a warning to parents after her son contracted highly contagious measles - despite him being immunised twice for it.
Helen Spilsbury, 33, says that she first noticed an itch on her son Jack on Sunday evening and thought it was a heat rash.
But by Monday the Manchester schoolboy was covered with it and was scratching all over his body.
Manchester Evening News reports that after a visit to the chemist, staff initially thought the eight-year-old might have hand, food and mouth disease
However a trip to see the doctor on Tuesday confirmed that Jack had measles - and it was the worst case he had ever seen.
Helen was shocked because Jack has had both MMR jabs when he was younger - giving protection against measles, mumps and rubella.
She said: "Even at the doctor's the nurse first thought it could be either hand, foot and mouth or slap cheek as they'd seen recent cases.
"After looking a bit more they realised it was measles and the doctor said it was the worst case he's seen."
She added: "When they first said it looks like measles I just thought it can't be. I was really surprised because he's had both jabs against it."'
Read more: Boy, 8, gets 'worst case of measles doctor had seen' despite two MMR jabs