'Conspiracy theorists have made the incredible accusation that the French state orchestrated last night's terror attack - to divert attention from the Yellow Vest protests.
A 29-year-old gunman shot dead at least two people and injured 13 others at a Christmas market before escaping in a hijacked taxi in Strasbourg.
Protesters today made the extraordinary claim on social media that President Emmanuel Macron had set up the attack for an 'excuse' to ask protesters to call off a demonstration planned for Saturday.
One wrote: 'You'll see next week there won't be a single yellow vest. Well played, Macron' while another added: 'Coincidence, chance? Or just manipulation!'.
One protester wrote: 'They want to create fear so that people don't take to the streets.'
Another said: 'Well of course it was the State! If you look back in time, there have often been terror attacks when there were too many strikes or protests.'
An infamous Yellow Vest protester called Maxime Nicolle posted a Facebook Live video of him saying the attack was a set up.
He said: 'Do you really think that a guy who wanted to carry out a terror attack would wait until there were three people in the street at 8pm? He would go into the Middle Of the Champs Elysees and blow himself up.''
How did French and German security services overlook Strasbourg 'radical Islamist' with a string of convictions and bungle raid on his home where he stored guns and grenades?
'The 29-year-old who shot and killed at least two people and injured 13 others at a Christmas market in Strasbourg, northeastern France last night, was well known to police and security services in no less than three countries.
Cherif Chekatt, who shouted 'Allahu Akbar' - meaning 'God is Great' in Arabic - as he opened fire on the crowds, is known to be part of Islamist networks in Strasbourg and has a lengthy criminal record which includes 27 convictions as well as lengthy prison sentences in Germany, France and Switzerland.
The French secret service had been warned that he had become radicalised in prison, and placed him on a designated 'threat to the state' watchlist in 2015 - but this had not been communicated to German authorities who jailed him for burglary in 2016.
Yesterday morning, police searched his flat in connection with a different crime, and found an arsenal of weapons including a grenade, but Chekatt was not at home at the time of the raid, and would later go on to kill and maim more than a dozen people.
Meanwhile, his first victim has been named as Anupong Suebsamarn, a 45-year-old Thai man on holiday in Europe with his wife, according to Thai media.
Four of those injured are still fighting for their lives, among them 28-year-old Italian journalist Antonio Megalizzi, who was in town to cover the European Parliament, with six others seriously hurt.'
Read more ...