The Strasbourg shooting, which claimed two lives on Tuesday night, was not a secret government ploy to undermine the mass protests gripping France for weeks, contrary to rumors online, a senior official has said.
Secretary of State for the Interior Ministry Laurent Nuñez said he was “outraged” by claims that the attack in Strasbourg may benefit the government in its struggle against the so-called Yellow Vest movement.
.@LaurentNunez, secrétaire d'État auprès du ministre de l'Intérieur : "Je suis indigné [...] on est clairement dans les thèses complotistes" #le79inter #Giletsjaunes #Strasbourg pic.twitter.com/b1AMJDEjIj
— France Inter (@franceinter) December 12, 2018
I don’t understand how anybody could imagine this… We should call it for what it is – such ideas are obviously coming from conspiracy theorists,” he told the media.
According to tweets and other remarks, such conspiracy theories flourish among the ranks of the ‘Yellow Vests’. And this is yet another proof. Saying such things is, frankly speaking, disgraceful.
In the wake of the shooting, all mass gatherings had been banned in Strasbourg by the government. No restrictions were placed on public events in other parts of France though.'
Read more: Strasbourg attack not a government conspiracy to undermine Yellow Vests – Interior Ministry official