Five people have been shot dead and several more injured by a gunman at the offices of Capital Gazette, a newspaper in the Maryland capital of Annapolis. The attacker seemed to have targeted the paper deliberately, police said.
“We do have fatalities and we do have serious injuries,” acting police chief Bill Krampf said. He confirmed later that five people have died, and three were injured.
The shooting was a “targeted attack” and the suspect’s “intent was to cause harm,” Krampf said at a press conference Thursday evening. He said that threats that “indicated violence” were sent to the Gazette this morning via social media, and that the newspaper itself seemed to be the target rather than a specific employee.
— Joshua McKerrow (@joshuamckerrow) June 28, 2018
The shooter is in custody and being interrogated. Several news outlets have reported that the suspect is not cooperating, damaged his fingerprints in an attempt to avoid identification, and had been identified through facial recognition software.
Krampf pushed back on those reports, however. He did not identify the suspect, but said he was in his late 30s and a resident of Maryland. NBC News reported the suspect’s name as Jarrod Ramos, 38, who sued the Gazette for defamation in 2012, but lost the case in 2015.
“We did recover what we thought may have been an explosive device,” Krampf had said earlier in the day, in response to questions whether a grenade was found on the scene. He later clarified the object was a canister of smoke grenades, which the attacker had used inside the building.'
Read more: Gunman kills five in 'targeted attack' on Maryland newspaper