Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the internet a living, sentient being? An 'AI'?
Sure is, yep! 5 16.13%
No, no, no, no 20 64.52%
Possibly Maybe I'm Not Saying Sitting Here On The Fence 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
zero1
Inactive

Question Is the Internet a living, sentient being?

Came across this article on wiki about machine consciousness and artificial intelligence / selection;

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki

Darwin among the Machines" appeared as the heading of an article published in The Press newspaper on 13 June 1863 in Christchurch, New Zealand. Signed Cellarius but written by Samuel Butler, the article raised the possibility that machines could evolve "mechanical consciousness" by means of Darwinian natural selection.
Of course, in 1863, artificial selection would not have been recognized as the correct term in that context. Perhaps...

Quote:

Butler developed this and subsequent articles into The Book of the Machines, three chapters of Erewhon, published anonymously in 1872. From chapter xxiii: the book of the machines:

"There is no security"--to quote his own words--"against the ultimate development of mechanical consciousness, in the fact of machines possessing little consciousness now. A mollusc has not much consciousness. Reflect upon the extraordinary advance which machines have made during the last few hundred years, and note how slowly the animal and vegetable kingdoms are advancing. The more highly organized machines are creatures not so much of yesterday, as of the last five minutes, so to speak, in comparison with past time."
Not many technophobes here, but this is still interesting;

Quote:

Erewhonian technophobia

The Erewhonian society envisioned by Butler came to the conclusion "...that the machines were ultimately destined to supplant the race of man, and to become instinct with a vitality as different from, and superior to, that of animals, as animal to vegetable life. So... they made a clean sweep of all machinery that had not been in use for more than two hundred and seventy-one years..." (from chapter ix: to the metropolis.) Despite the initial popularity of Erewhon, its speculation on the evolution of "mechanical consciousness" was dismissed as an "attempt to laugh at Mr. Darwin." Furthermore, the type of intelligence envisioned by Butler is natural, not artificial.
Now it gets good;

Quote:

Evolution of Global Intelligence

George Dyson applies Butler's original premise to the artificial life and intelligence of Alan Turing in Darwin Among the Machines: The Evolution of Global Intelligence (1998) ISBN 0-7382-0030-1, to suggest coherently that the internet is a living, sentient being.

Dyson's main claim is that the evolution of a conscious mind from today's technology is inevitable. It is not clear whether this will be a single mind or multiple minds, how smart that mind would be, and even if we will be able to communicate with it. He also clearly suggests that there are forms of intelligence on Earth that we are currently unable to understand. From the book: "What mind, if any, will become apprehensive of the great coiling of ideas now under way is not a meaningless question, but it is still too early in the game to expect an answer that is meaningful to us."
Interesting that he described it, in 1998, as a 'game'.

Poll incl.
zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
dreamweaver

Who's been watching Terminator 3?

George Dyson - any relation to Miles Dyson?

I did see an article recently where some experts were predicting machine intelligence would overtake humans in the space of a few years, although I don't recall if they were claiming these machines would become self-aware.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post

I did see an article recently where some experts were predicting machine intelligence would overtake humans in the space of a few years, although I don't recall if they were claiming these machines would become self-aware.
Like the Terminator movies in general, but not that; I just have an interest in machines.

I see a lot of humans imitate (or try to) imitate machines. It is, I believe, called 'normality'.

George Dyson was a science historian, as far as I know. Who Miles Dyson is I don't know, sorry.

Well, self-awareness tends to happen spontaneously in evolution, in my view.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero1 View Post
Who Miles Dyson is I don't know, sorry.
The fictional inventor of Skynet.

I mentioned T3 because in that timeline Skynet began as a virus spread over the internet.

The internet does have some analogies with an organism - but I don't think it's sentient, at least not yet.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Quote:
The fictional inventor of Skynet.
Oh of course, sorry, I forgot. You don't think the writer(s) of Terminator series used the name 'Dyson' because of the AI connexion, do you? My my, that would be something. And if Sophia Stewart "Third Eye" script really did inspire the Terminator series, well , it would almost be prophetic wouldn't it? (!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
I mentioned T3 because in that timeline Skynet began as a virus spread over the internet.
Yes, yes true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
The internet does have some analogies with an organism - but I don't think it's sentient, at least not yet.
Well, who can say? For some reason I can't stop thinking of "Google" when I think of Artificial Intelligence. 'Googie' is the sound a child makes, and an AI is born as a child, surely, needing to be 'fed', 'nurtured', to find out about and explore the world eventually? Is this what they do at Google's main place, in California? I dunno, perhaps a classic case of seeing 'random' patterns where there are none...

Last edited by zero1; 13-01-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 13-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
dreamweaver

Quote:
Well, who can say? For some reason I can't stop thinking of "Google" when I think of Artificial Intelligence. 'Googie' is the sound a child makes, and an AI is born as a child, surely, needing to be 'fed', 'nurtured', to find out about and explore the world eventually? Is this what they do at Google's main place, in California? I dunno, perhaps a classic case of seeing 'random' patterns where there are none...
Yeah, I know what you're getting at, but they're still using armies of programmers to create all these algorithms. I dunno, I think an intelligence has to be autonomous before it can be considered sentient, but that's just a personal opinion which may be completely wrong.
Old 13-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
octopusrex

THe answer to that question is probably here: www.deoxy.org
octopusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
lewi

Lightbulb

There is a real cyberdyne company making cyborg-type robots that can be adapted to humans. Its is only a matter of connecting the internet and the hybrid system that allows autonomous movements to produce what has been seen in sci fi movies. I doupt the internet is Sentient.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/

Quote:
This is what we call a 'voluntary control system' that provides movement interpreting the wearer's intention from the biosignals in advance of the actual movement. Not only a 'voluntary control system' "HAL" has, but also a 'robotic autonomous control system' that provides human-like movement based on a robotic system which integrally work together with the 'autonomous control system'. "HAL" is the world's first cyborg-type robot controlled by this unique Hybrid System.

Last edited by lewi; 14-01-2010 at 12:09 AM.
lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
haukipesukone

Quote:
Is the Internet a living, sentient being?
Good question. Answer: no.

No idea really... but I would still say no, not yet at least.
"What lies within always has a form without and that which is without takes a shape within. Put another way, we sometimes say that which is visible must always have an invisible aspect, just as everything invisible must be represented by the visible."
- Oone the dreamthief

Peruse through Bad Poetry of Pain and Hurt
Or wrack your brain with Concordia ab Chao and Your Life is a Lie
haukipesukone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
zero1
Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopusrex View Post
THe answer to that question is probably here: www.deoxy.org
Great site, Octopusrex, duly bookmarked for further exploration.
Old 14-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
actaeons_revenge

The title of this thread sounds like an episode of Odyssey 5. Does anyone even remember that show?
actaeons_revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #12
leviathanstaar

Skynet needs a way to be plugged in everywhere now doesnt it.
Old 14-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
reversi

In due time, when religion have been 'proven' wrong and misinterpreted there will probaly be buildings where you can interface with "the internet" for guidence.

In my opinion, AC/MC will replace religious authorithy.

My vote was for: Possibly Maybe I'm Not Saying Sitting Here On The Fence
Old 14-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
the cosmos
Inactive

Quote:
Came across this article on wiki about machine consciousness and artificial intelligence / selection;

Of course, in 1863, artificial selection would not have been recognized as the correct term in that context. Perhaps...

Not many technophobes here, but this is still interesting;

Now it gets good;

Interesting that he described it, in 1998, as a 'game'.

Poll incl.
I think so.
the cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
the cosmos
Inactive

Quote:

This post of yours ties in with a thread i posted here.
the cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
flickflack

I think that the living Internet is not there yet, and neither is it here. But one day, perhaps? If a singularity happened, we would have been there already. But I guess it still takes at least a few years...
flickflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Old 15-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #18
reversi

The Singularity.....

Quote:
http://singularity.com/themovie/future.php

So what is the Singularity?

Within a quarter century, nonbiological intelligence will match the range and subtlety of human intelligence. It will then soar past it because of the continuing acceleration of information-based technologies, as well as the ability of machines to instantly share their knowledge. Intelligent nanorobots will be deeply integrated in our bodies, our brains, and our environment, overcoming pollution and poverty, providing vastly extended longevity, full-immersion virtual reality incorporating all of the senses (like “The Matrix”), "experience beaming” (like “Being John Malkovich”), and vastly enhanced human intelligence. The result will be an intimate merger between the technology-creating species and the technological evolutionary process it spawned.

And that’s the Singularity?

No, that’s just the precursor. Nonbiological intelligence will have access to its own design and will be able to improve itself in an increasingly rapid redesign cycle. We’ll get to a point where technical progress will be so fast that unenhanced human intelligence will be unable to follow it. That will mark the Singularity.

When will that occur?

I set the date for the Singularity—representing a profound and disruptive transformation in human capability—as 2045. The nonbiological intelligence created in that year will be one billion times more powerful than all human intelligence today.
http://singularity.com/themovie/

Last edited by reversi; 15-01-2010 at 12:58 AM.
reversi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #19
sloloris
Inactive

No. It's 1's and 0's. Bits of data.
It has no flesh.
sloloris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #20
reversi

^

Quote:
Although the term "sentience" is avoided by major artificial intelligence textbooks and researchers, it is sometimes used in popular accounts of AI to describe "human level or higher intelligence" (or strong AI).
Source:

Last edited by reversi; 15-01-2010 at 04:06 AM.
reversi is offline   Reply With Quote