Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 31-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
bvwh

Default The UK Electoral Roll

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for a while now.

My London council is threatening me with a court summons and a 1000 fine as I am refusing to join the electoral roll.
I have no intention of voting as I don't believe that choosing between the conservatives and labour will make any difference to either myself or the rest of the UK in any important sense. Therefore I cannot see the importance of being on the electoral roll, especially as the list is available for sale to companies for marketing purposes.

I strongly object to this. I mean, it's not like they don't who or where I am as I do pay my council tax (begrudgingly) at my current address.

Have any of you refused to be on the electoral roll? Do any of you have any advice for me? Despite their legal threats, is it actually illegal to not be on the roll?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

B x
bvwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
eyepod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvwh View Post
Hi everyone,

My London council is threatening me with a court summons and a 1000 fine as I am refusing to join the electoral roll.
I have no intention of voting as I don't believe that choosing between the conservatives and labour will make any difference to either myself or the rest of the UK in any important sense. Therefore I cannot see the importance of being on the electoral roll, especially as the list is available for sale to companies for marketing purposes.

I strongly object to this. I mean, it's not like they don't who or where I am as I do pay my council tax (begrudgingly) at my current address.

Have any of you refused to be on the electoral roll? Do any of you have any advice for me? Despite their legal threats, is it actually illegal to not be on the roll?

B x
Well I haven't been on the electoral register for maybe 10 years. I just ignore the letters and chuck them in the bin, nothing has ever happened about it. They never cross referenced the fact that I was paying council tax but was not on the electoral roll. I voted once when I was 18 for the novelty factor and never bothered after that.

You should have just ignored the letter rather than respond to it if that is what you did. No idea of the legality or illegality of being on it.

Only problem with not being on the electoral roll is that it is used as part of the credit checking process. Not on it - no credit, but it's not exactly a wise time to be getting in debt right now.

Last edited by eyepod; 31-10-2008 at 05:50 PM.
eyepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
rhydra

The only reason that the local and national government want as many people on the electoral roll is because they make a tidy sum selling your details to all and sundry from cold callers to tracing agencies. Imagine how much they will be able to make when they have even more details with the national identity database.
Old 31-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
skyline

Quote:
Hi everyone,

B x
A lady knocked on my door only yesterday asking me to complete the form,I refused to which she informed me would stop her getting paid! So she is on a bonus? so I filled the form out as Mr Bart Simpson and signed it annunaki

Maybe fill it out as D Vadar?
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
homebrew1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
A lady knocked on my door only yesterday asking me to complete the form,I refused to which she informed me would stop her getting paid! So she is on a bonus? so I filled the form out as Mr Bart Simpson and signed it annunaki

Maybe fill it out as D Vadar?
One of them visited me twice within an hour some day last week and twice I didn`t answer the door to them, I`ll never vote again unless it`s a totally secret ballot and there`s a "none of the above" box but there`s probably no chance of that happening.
homebrew1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
tom bombadil

Quote:
Hi everyone,

B x
Simple. Next time they come just ask for the law to be clarified, an how it effects you if you dont vote. Or dont open the door.

Tom.

Last edited by tom bombadil; 31-10-2008 at 10:22 PM.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Infinite I

Good to know you can just ignore it as thats what ive been doing, got my
2nd reminder the other day. I dont answer the door to anyone anyway. Hope you dont have to pay a fine bvhw

The Spice expands conciousness

The Spice is vital for space travel
Infinite I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
armoured_amazon

Quote:
Hi everyone,

B x
Are you not automatically on it because of paying council tax? If not, then I've not been on the roll since 18 (voted once), muahaha. Surely being on the electoral roll is only about voting? I'm like you, I have no intention of voting, voting is meaningless. It's a charade to make people believe they have a choice.

I Am Warrior, Queen Tantrum

Last edited by armoured_amazon; 31-10-2008 at 10:30 PM.
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
hagbard_celine

Quote:
Hi everyone,

B x
Well done for resisting taking part in the charade of democracy.

I've been off the electoral roll for five years now and nobody has complained. Maybe the rules are different for different councils.

"Because he refused to compete in games for domination he was indomitable."
from The Dispossessed by Ursula le Guin

Last edited by hagbard_celine; 01-11-2008 at 11:34 AM.
hagbard_celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
psychedelia

I had my 3rd reminder sent to me this week or me & my boyfriend to put our names on the electoral role. We are both refusing. We have never voted & never will.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
cf24

I've ignored them for years without any problem, although last year I opened the door to some guy from the council, so I told him I didn't want to go on it, and he told me I could be prosecuted. I told him that the council had never taken any action against me for years, but somehow last year they decided to put me on the roll without my signature, bloody cheek!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
hagbard_celine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf24 View Post
I've ignored them for years without any problem, although last year I opened the door to some guy from the council, so I told him I didn't want to go on it, and he told me I could be prosecuted. I told him that the council had never taken any action against me for years, but somehow last year they decided to put me on the roll without my signature, bloody cheek!
Damn bloody right.

(BTW: good to see you back mate!)

Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
hagbard_celine

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelia View Post
I had my 3rd reminder sent to me this week or me & my boyfriend to put our names on the electoral role. We are both refusing. We have never voted & never will.
Good for you!

In a way I hope they catch up with me. I'd love to stand up in court and have a good rant about the things we're taliking about on this thread. It would be a wonderful release! Worth a fine!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
bvwh

Hi everyone,

Thanks for you replies and thoughts. Unfortunately my housemates don't feel as strongly as me on the subject and they are reluctant to put false info on there (i.e. their names without mine) in case they get done for it.

It's such a shame that it has to be like this, I really feel like making a stand on this issue
bvwh is offline   Reply With Quote