Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Meditation / Human Consciousness / Spirituality / Ascension / 2012 Mayan Calendar
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
seanx

Default The 'dangerous', 'evil' ideas of Eckhart Tolle

You have been warned.

For those of you interested....

We have had a lot of people come onto this forum and, as
usual with any author who writes about ideas that do
not fit into their conventional, philosphical model
of the world they blindly attack the ideas of this man.

Calling him a 'coman', a 'charlatan', a man who is
here to 'brainwash us into the new age' etc.....

So here are some of these terribly 'evil' dangerous ideas
Tolle talks about. .

Again, you have been warned: These ideas could
'brainwash' you.

And you might start to doubt all the 'great stuff' you have
indoctrinated with since childhood

Quote:
"I cannot tell you any spiritual truth that deep within you don't know already. All I can do is remind you of what you have forgotten

Quote:
"The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly. Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive. To put it more accurately, it is not so much that you use your mind wrongly—you usually don't use it at all. It uses you."

Quote:
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness"
Quote:
"When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. The mind in itself is a wonderful tool. Dysfunction sets in when you seek your self in it and mistake it for who you are

Quote:
"To be identified with your mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation

Quote:
"Nothing ever happened in the past; it happened in the Now. Nothing will ever happen in the future; it will happen in the Now"

Quote:
"To be free of time is to be free of the psychological need of past for your identity and future for your fulfillment

Quote:
"[Relationships] do not cause pain and unhappiness. They bring out the pain and unhappiness that is already in you
Old 29-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
seanx

More:

Quote:
On the surface it seems that the present moment is only one of many, many moments. Each day of your life appears to consists of thousands of moments where different things happen.

Yet if you look more deeply, is there not only one moment, ever? Is life ever not “this moment?”

This one moment — Now — the only thing you can never escape from, the one constant factor in your life.

No matter what happens, no matter how much your life changes, one thing is certain: it's always Now. Since there is no escape from the Now, why not welcome it, become friendly with it?

Quote:
For most things in life, you need time: to learn a new skill, build a house, become an expert, make a cup of tea. . . .

Time is useless, however, for the most essential thing in life, the one thing that really matters: self-realization, which means knowing who you are beyond the surface self — beyond your name, your physical form, your history, your story.

You cannot find yourself in the past or future. The only place where you can find yourself is in the Now.

Spiritual seekers look for self-realization or enlightenment in the future.

To be a seeker implies that you need the future.

If this is what you believe, it becomes true for you: you will need time until you realize that you don't need time to be who you are.

When you make the present moment the focal point of your attention — instead of using it as a means to an end — you go beyond the ego and beyond the unconscious compulsion to use people as a means to an end, the end being self-enhancement at the cost of others.

When you give your fullest attention to whoever you are interacting with, you take past and future out of the relationship, except for practical matters.

When you are fully present with everyone you meet, you relinquish the conceptual identity you made for them — your interpretation of who they are and what they did in the past — and are able to interact without the egoic movements of desire and fear.

Quote:
Attention, which is alert stillness, is the key.

Quote:
To know another human being in their essence, you don’t really need to know anything about them — their past, their history, their story.

We confuse knowing about with a deeper knowing that is non-conceptual. Knowing about and knowing are totally different modalities.

One is concerned with form, the other with the formless. One operates through thought, the other through stillness.

Knowing about is helpful for practical purposes. On that level, we cannot do without it. When it is the predominant modality in relationships, however, it becomes very limiting, even destructive.

Thoughts and concepts create an artificial barrier, a separation between human beings.

Your interactions are then not rooted in Being, but become mind-based. Without the conceptual barriers, love is naturally present in all human interactions.
Old 29-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
seanx

More insights from this 'evil' 'con man'

Quote:
True listening is another way of bringing stillness into the relationship.

When you truly listen to someone, the dimension of stillness arises and becomes an essential part of the relationship.

But true listening is a rare skill.

Usually, the greater part of a person’s attention is taken up by their thinking.

At best, they may be evaluating your words or preparing the next thing to say.

Or they may not be listening at all, lost in their own thoughts.

True listening goes far beyond auditory perception. It is the arising of alert attention, a space of presence in which the words are being received. The words now become secondary. They may be meaningful or they may not make sense.

Far more important than what you are listening to is the act of listening itself, the space of conscious presence that arises as you listen.

That space is a unifying field of awareness in which you meet the other person without the separative barriers created by conceptual thinking.

And now the other person is no longer “other.”

In that space, you are joined together as one awareness, one consciousness.

Quote:
Having access to that formless realm is truly liberating.

It frees you from bondage to form and identification with form.

It is life in its undifferentiated state prior to its fragmentation into multiplicity.

We may call it the Unmanifested, the invisible Source of all things, the Being within all beings. It is a realm of deep stillness and peace, but also of joy and intense aliveness.

Whenever you are present, you become "transparent" to some extent to the light, the pure consciousness that emanates from this Source. You also realize that the light is not separate from who you are but constitutes your very essence

Quote:
Being is not only beyond but also deep within every form as its innermost invisible and indestructible essence. This means that it is accessible to you now as your own deepest self, your true nature. But don't seek to grasp it with your mind. Don't try to understand it. You can know it only when the mind is still.

When you are present, when your attention is fully and intensely in the Now, Being can be felt, but it can never be understood mentally. To regain awareness of Being and to abide in that state of "feeling-realization" is enlightenment

Quote:
Be present as the watcher of your mind -- of your thoughts and emotions as well as your reactions in various situations.

Be at least as interested in your reactions as in the situation or person that causes you to react. Notice also how often your attention is in the past or future.

Don't judge or analyze what you observe. Watch the thought, feel the emotion, observe the reaction. Don't make a personal problem out of them. You will then feel something more powerful than any of those things that you observe: the still, observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher
Quote:
You are not just a meaningless fragment in an alien universe, briefly suspended between life and death, allowed a few short-lived pleasures followed by pain and ultimate annihilation.

Underneath your outer form, you are connected with something so vast, so immeasurable and sacred, that it cannot be spoken of - yet I am speaking of it now. I am speaking of it now not to give you something to believe in but to show you how you can know it for yourself.

Quote:
The word enlightenment conjures up the idea of some superhuman accomplishment, and the ego likes to keep it that way, but it is simply your natural state of felt oneness with Being.

It is a state of connectedness with something immeasurable and indestructible, something that, almost paradoxically, is essentially you and yet is much greater than you. It is finding your true nature beyond name and form.
Quote:
When you lose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world.
Quote:
Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret of life is to "die before you die" --- and find that there is no death.

Reincarnation doesn't help you if in your next incarnation you still don't know who you are

Humanity is under great pressure to evolve because it is our only chance of survival as a race. This will affect every aspect of your life and close relationships in particular. Never before have relationships been as problematic and conflict ridden as they are now. As you may continue to pursue the goal of salvation through a relationship, you will be disillusioned again and again.

But if you accept that the relationship is here to make you conscious instead of happy, then the relationship will offer you salvation, and you will be aligning yourself with the higher consciousness that wants to be born into this world. For those who hold to the old patterns, there will be increasing pain, violence, confusion, and madness.

Quote:
"You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge. But it can only emerge if something fundamental changes in your state of consciousness."

Quote:
"The unchecked striving for more, for endless growth, is a dysfunction and a disease. It is the same dysfunction the cancerous cell manifests, whose only goal is to multiply itself, unaware that it is bringing about its own destruction by destroying the organism of which it is a part."
Old 29-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
beldazar

Thanks seanx, Ive just started reading 'A new earth' and I felt the need to look into this a bit more. One thing put me off the book was seeing a sticker saying its part of Oprah's book club!

Im at the stage I feel very confused. He speaks a great deal of sense and of transcending the ego. I have only just started it. I also have The power of now but didnt get to finish it, his style of writing seems to send me to sleep
Old 29-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
seanx

On wanting:

Quote:
"Wanting is structural, so no amount of content can provide lasting fulfillment as long as that mental structure remains in place

Quote:
The content of the ego varies from person to person, bu in every ego the same structure operates." –

Quote:
"Nonreaction to the ego in others is one of the most effective ways not only of going beyond ego in yourself but also of dissolving the collective human ego.

But you can only be in a state of nonreaction if you can recognize someone's behavior as coming from the ego, as being an expression of the collective human dysfunction. When you realize it's not personal, there is no longer a compulsion to react as if it were."
Quote:
The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist."

Quote:
Awareness is the greatest agent for change

Quote:
"Unconscious people – and many remain unconscious, trapped in their egos throughout their lives – will quickly tell you who they are: their name, their occupation, their personal history, the shape or state of their body, and whatever else they identify with.

Others may appear to be more evolved because they think of themselves as an immortal soul or living spirit.

But do they really know themselves, or have they just added some spiritual sounding concepts to the content of their mind?

Knowing yourself goes far deeper than the adoption of a set of ideas or beliefs. Spiritual ideas and beliefs may at best be helpful pointers, but in themselves they rarely have the power to dislodge the more firmly established core concepts of who you think you are, which are part of the conditioning of the human mind. Knowing yourself deeply has nothing to do with whatever ideas are floating around in your mind. Knowing yourself is to be rooted in Being, instead of lost in your mind.

Quote:
"You might say, “I know I am an immortal spirit,” or “I am tired of this mad world, and peace is all I want” until the phone rings. Bad news: The stock market has collapsed; the deal may fall through; the car has been stolen; your motherinlaw has arrived; the trip is cancelled, the contract has been broken; your partner has left you; they demand more money; they say it's your fault. Suddenly there is a surge of anger, of anxiety. A harshness comes into your voice; “I can't take any more of this.” You accuse and blame, attack, defend, or justify yourself, and it's all happening on autopilot. Something is obviously much more important to you now than the inner peace that a moment ago you said was all you wanted, and you're not an immortal spirit anymore either. The deal, the money, the contract, the loss or threat of loss are more important. To whom? To the immortal spirit that you said you are? No, to me. The small me that seeks security for fulfillment in things that are transient and gets anxious or angry because it fails to find it. Well, at least now you know who you really think you are

Quote:
"If the belief of lack – whether it be money, recognition, or love – has become part of who you think you are, you will always experience lack. Rather than acknowledge the good that is already in your life, all you see is lack

Quote:
"There is the dream, and there is the dreamer of the dream.

The dream is a short-lived play of forms. It is the world – relatively real but not absolutely real.

Then there is the dreamer, the absolute reality in which the forms come and go. The dreamer is not the person. The person is part of the dream. The dreamer is the substratum in which the dream appears, that which makes the dream possible. It is the absolute behind the relative, the timeless behind time, the consciousness in and behind form. The dreamer is consciousness itself – who you are
Old 29-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
loderlive

o pur-lease.

People that say, these creatures are imaginary. Then why are we able to eat them.

Freemasons worship the "great architect" of the fake reality enslaving them.

Use your light, and head in the darkness, I don't fear the unknown.
Old 29-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
esse
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beldazar View Post
Thanks seanx, Ive just started reading 'A new earth' and I felt the need to look into this a bit more. One thing put me off the book was seeing a sticker saying its part of Oprah's book club!

Im at the stage I feel very confused. He speaks a great deal of sense and of transcending the ego. I have only just started it. I also have The power of now but didnt get to finish it, his style of writing seems to send me to sleep
Ego - right.... so who's experiencing the now???
Old 29-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
seanx

beldazar wrote:
Quote:

As the saying goes, it's the message that's important not the
messenger.

The key is not just to read it - but to be still and allow your self
to feel - to experience- to 'touch' -
to 'taste' whatever is there beyond all the thoughts,
ideas and concepts.

Another key is to drop all expectations, all desires - all
preconditions
about what might be there - and just be still ....
and feel what is there.

Its really a modern way ofxplaining one of the oldest
teachings
in the world - insight meditation to a
new generation of people.

So reading is important - but the main thing is being
still in the present moment- and actually ALLOWING
yourself to EXPERIENCE - to FEEL what life feels like flowing
in your body beyond thoughts and memories.

As someone once said the 'divine means nothing unless you
can feel it in your body now'
Old 29-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
synergy777

speaks simple truths, i think its a great way to make ancient knowledge/vedic stuff open to the modern masses, i like deepak chopra aswell.

goodstuff seanx.

Fearlessness means faith in God: faith in His protection, His justice, His wisdom, His mercy, His Love, and His omnipresence… To be fit for Self-realization, man must be fearless.— Paramahansa Yogananda
Old 29-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
phoebe

Oh yes there are people who say that
Tolle is Illuminati and out to brainwash us with
Oneness religion and get us to kill our ego.
They say these things of course without
an ounce of understanding between the lot of them.
Self-empowerment is a scary thing to the ego...

Tolle is the man who woke me up.
Although his teachings are based on Eastern mysticism
and are nothing new, his way of speaking and writing
are perfect for the modern day world -
anyone can pick up one of his books and understand it
completely.

I Love Eckhart!
And balls to all those of you who poo-poo him
for being an agent.

Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes.
Old 29-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
esse
Premier Subscribers

And get us to kill our ego - implying plurality?

WTF?

Who is the self do you reckon?

Yes fie to all those bringing up the old "oneness" issue

what does that have to do with Eastern Wisdom???
Old 29-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
synergy777

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/deepak_chopra/

Deepak Chopra

“If you want to reach a state of bliss, then go beyond your ego and the internal dialogue. Make a decision to relinquish the need to control, the need to be approved, and the need to judge. Those are the three things the ego is doing all the time. It's very important to be aware of them every time they come up.”

“Whatever relationships you have attracted in your life at this moment, are precisely the ones you need in your life at this moment. There is a hidden meaning behind all events, and this hidden meaning is serving your own evolution.”

“If you and I are having a single thought of violence or hatred against anyone in the world at this moment, we are contributing to the wounding of the world...”

“The secret of attraction is to love yourself. Attractive people judge neither themselves nor others. They are open to gestures of love. They think about love, and express their love in every action. They know that love is not a mere sentiment, but the ultimate truth at the heart of the universe.”

“The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers”

Fearlessness means faith in God: faith in His protection, His justice, His wisdom, His mercy, His Love, and His omnipresence… To be fit for Self-realization, man must be fearless.— Paramahansa Yogananda
Old 29-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
rossus

Eckhart Tolle is not that bad,
his style of speaking is comparable with that of speakers like Gangaji.

Those that like Eckhart Tolle...
I recommend to check out Nisargadatta (in my signature)

It's about the same thing, but explained better... and therefor more helpful. (in my opinion)

"Throw away profit and greed, and there won't be any thieves." - Laozi

Last edited by rossus; 29-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 29-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
synergy777

Deepak Chopra

“Our thinking and our behaviour are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based.”

“Every person is a God in embryo. Its only desire is to be born.”

“The possibility of stepping into a higher plane is quite real for everyone. It requires no force or effort or sacrifice. It involves little more than changing our ideas about what is normal.”

“The physical world, including our bodies, is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.”

“We are not victims of aging, sickness and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.”

Old 29-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
esse
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy777 View Post

Deepak Chopra

“If you want to reach a state of bliss, then go beyond your ego and the internal dialogue. Make a decision to relinquish the need to control, the need to be approved, and the need to judge. Those are the three things the ego is doing all the time. It's very important to be aware of them every time they come up.”

“Whatever relationships you have attracted in your life at this moment, are precisely the ones you need in your life at this moment. There is a hidden meaning behind all events, and this hidden meaning is serving your own evolution.”

“If you and I are having a single thought of violence or hatred against anyone in the world at this moment, we are contributing to the wounding of the world...”

“The secret of attraction is to love yourself. Attractive people judge neither themselves nor others. They are open to gestures of love. They think about love, and express their love in every action. They know that love is not a mere sentiment, but the ultimate truth at the heart of the universe.”

“The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers”
If you want to experience bliss - simply look inside and realize who you are.
Remember yrself...
Old 29-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #16
synergy777

“It would be a real mistake for us to think that India will ever influence the world through its outsourcing or through its software technology. If India is going to influence the world, it will be through a cultural invasion, a cultural colonization.” deepak chopra

esse, spot on bro.

Old 29-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
esse
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy777 View Post

Deepak Chopra

“Our thinking and our behaviour are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based.”

“Every person is a God in embryo. Its only desire is to be born.”

“The possibility of stepping into a higher plane is quite real for everyone. It requires no force or effort or sacrifice. It involves little more than changing our ideas about what is normal.”

“The physical world, including our bodies, is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.”

“We are not victims of aging, sickness and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.”
How can the beginningless be born?
Old 29-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
lookfar
Premier Subscribers

I've only read The Power Of Now so far, but thoroughly enjoyed it & have recommended it to a few others who have also enjoyed it too
“It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.” BILL HICKS
http://www.markthomasinfo.com/ http://www.waykiwayki.com/
Dolphins playing in bubble rings
Old 29-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #19
esse
Premier Subscribers

Selflessness ---

To realize the Ego Illusion is just the shabbiest lie about yr real nature

To do this is bliss, yet so simple - It is just mere awareness

Just recognizing reality as it is

This awakening empowers us to do the real magic

To care for each other

Live our romantic dreams

Liberation into the infinite artists we are

and dissolving the nightmare of ignorance
Old 29-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
seanx

synergy777 wrote:
Quote:
speaks simple truths, i think its a great way to make ancient knowledge/vedic stuff open to the modern masses, i like deepak chopra aswell
That's right. The ideas he speaks about are ancient - he's just
one of many new modern writers expressing it in terms that
will resonate with a particular group of people.

Other writers will express it in different ways that will
appeal to people who resonate to that writers style of
expressing things.

Deepak Chopra talks about the same ideas in a language that
is modern and appealing especially when he includes the lastest
science behind these ideas.
Closed Thread