Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
kirkie

Default Applicants wanted for a one-way ticket to Mars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

Want to go to Mars? Dutch organisation Mars One says it will open applications imminently. It would be a one-way trip, and the company hopes to build a community of settlers on the planet.

Uncharted waters, mountains or far away lands have always drawn explorers. History books show that desire for adventure, even in the face of extreme danger, did not deter the likes of Columbus or Magellan.

So it is perhaps not surprising that Mars One has already received thousands of prospective applicants. But there is no return - unlike the mission which hopes to fly to Mars and back in 2018.

Continue reading the main story
A hostile planet

Scientists believe that Earth and Mars once had similar atmospheres, but they developed very differently
Mars' atmosphere is very thin, extremely cold and what water remains is frozen or hidden underground
There's evidence that Mars was once covered in oceans of water at a time when it had an abundant atmosphere
This very thin atmosphere can't stop heat from the Sun escaping into space
What makes Mars so hostile to life?
Watch how Mars and Earth ended up with such different atmospheres
Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.

On a visit to the BBC's London office, Mars One's co-founder Bas Lansdorp explains why this would be a one-way flight.

During the seven-to-eight month journey, astronauts will lose bone and muscle mass. After spending time on Mars' much weaker gravitational field, it would be almost impossible to readjust back to Earth's much stronger gravity, says Landsorp.

Successful applicants will be trained physically and psychologically. The team will use existing technology for all aspects of the project. Energy will be generated from solar panels, water will be recycled and extracted from soil and the astronauts will grow their own food - they will also have an emergency ration and regular top-ups as new explorers join every two years.

Solar wind
But is it realistic to believe that individuals could live and prosper on the Red Planet?

Mars is in the firing line of the Sun's high energy particles, called solar wind. The atmosphere of Mars is very thin as the solar wind is thought to have stripped much of it away.

Start Quote

Exploring our world, and now beyond is what humans do, its in our genome”

Bas Lansdorp
Co-Founder, Mars One
On Earth, we are protected from the solar wind by a strong magnetic field. Without this, it would be much more difficult to survive. Although Mars once had similar protection about four billion years ago, today there is no such shield protecting it.

The Martian surface is therefore extremely hostile to life, says Dr Veronica Bray, from the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, who is sceptical about the project.

There's no liquid water, the atmospheric pressure is "practically a vacuum", radiation levels are higher and temperatures vary wildly, she says.

"Radiation exposure is a concern, especially during the trip. This can lead to increased cancer risk, a lowered immune system and possibly infertility."

To minimise radiation, the project team will cover the domes with several metres of soil, which the colonists will have to dig up.
kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
get_into_them

Interesting!
get_into_them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
branwen01

Can we nominate people? I think Blair should go and take Cherie for company!
Old 18-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
ivand

Whats wrong with the moon?
Quote:
To minimise radiation, the project team will cover the domes with several metres of soil, which the colonists will have to dig up.
Oh that'll be easy with a shovel and suit on.
ivand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
cybersurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkie View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

Want to go to Mars? Dutch organisation Mars One says it will open applications imminently. It would be a one-way trip, and the company hopes to build a community of settlers on the planet.

Uncharted waters, mountains or far away lands have always drawn explorers. History books show that desire for adventure, even in the face of extreme danger, did not deter the likes of Columbus or Magellan.

So it is perhaps not surprising that Mars One has already received thousands of prospective applicants. But there is no return - unlike the mission which hopes to fly to Mars and back in 2018.

A hostile planet

Scientists believe that Earth and Mars once had similar atmospheres, but they developed very differently
Mars' atmosphere is very thin, extremely cold and what water remains is frozen or hidden underground
There's evidence that Mars was once covered in oceans of water at a time when it had an abundant atmosphere
This very thin atmosphere can't stop heat from the Sun escaping into space
What makes Mars so hostile to life?
Watch how Mars and Earth ended up with such different atmospheres
Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.

On a visit to the BBC's London office, Mars One's co-founder Bas Lansdorp explains why this would be a one-way flight.

During the seven-to-eight month journey, astronauts will lose bone and muscle mass. After spending time on Mars' much weaker gravitational field, it would be almost impossible to readjust back to Earth's much stronger gravity, says Landsorp.

Successful applicants will be trained physically and psychologically. The team will use existing technology for all aspects of the project. Energy will be generated from solar panels, water will be recycled and extracted from soil and the astronauts will grow their own food - they will also have an emergency ration and regular top-ups as new explorers join every two years.

Solar wind
But is it realistic to believe that individuals could live and prosper on the Red Planet?

Mars is in the firing line of the Sun's high energy particles, called solar wind. The atmosphere of Mars is very thin as the solar wind is thought to have stripped much of it away.

Start Quote

Exploring our world, and now beyond is what humans do, its in our genome”

Bas Lansdorp
Co-Founder, Mars One
On Earth, we are protected from the solar wind by a strong magnetic field. Without this, it would be much more difficult to survive. Although Mars once had similar protection about four billion years ago, today there is no such shield protecting it.

The Martian surface is therefore extremely hostile to life, says Dr Veronica Bray, from the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, who is sceptical about the project.

There's no liquid water, the atmospheric pressure is "practically a vacuum", radiation levels are higher and temperatures vary wildly, she says.

"Radiation exposure is a concern, especially during the trip. This can lead to increased cancer risk, a lowered immune system and possibly infertility."

But they alredy have settlers there, and can or could go by jumproom.
Old 18-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
dentedarthur

not sure

do the people who are going get to take weapons incase there are current inhabitats who are unfamiliar with english law?
Old 18-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
billybleach

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedarthur View Post
not sure

do the people who are going get to take weapons incase there are current inhabitats who are unfamiliar with english law?
LOL...that made me *HOCK* with laughter

Last edited by billybleach; 18-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
billybleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
edelweiss pirate

This is distraction fantasy masquerading as news.

It's crazy to think that there are actually people who would volunteer for this.

It would soon become a kind of hell.

Visit the Truthatron

Visit the Truthspoon

From the man they couldn't recruit. Illuminati analysis, and a bit of messing about on the side.

Last edited by edelweiss pirate; 18-04-2013 at 09:21 AM.
edelweiss pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
hoax
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branwen01 View Post
Hehehehehe

"A one way trip"
LOL
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
enlighten me

Send the benefit scroungers first
enlighten me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
matematik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedarthur View Post
not sure

Considering it is a Dutch company, the candidate is most likely to be continental European, not English.
matematik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
martg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlighten me View Post
I agree, all those politicians who have their noses in the trough.

although I suspect that's not what you meant
martg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
hoax
Inactive

Interesting choice of tattoo there enlighten me.
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
jondoeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlighten me View Post
The royals I couldn't agree more
Someone once asked me if I was "out of my mind". To which I replied "of course I am, as its dark & scary in there". There is nothing more secure than an opinion based on little to no knowledge. It's hard to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him NOT understanding it!
http://www.republic.org.uk/ & http://www.democraticrepublicanparty.co.uk/
jondoeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
gremlin

I am on planet mars already
"Radical Libertarians are equivalent to leftist Saul Alinskyites. Both despise government and the Constitution, seeking to destroy America. Alinsky wanted a community government; radical libertarians want Rothbardian uprisings to destroy government and wealth altogether for communal equality. To accomplish this, radical libertarians demand anarchy."
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
fairyprincess

Sign me up...... Get away from my hassles, get away from the elite. Spend the rest of my days growing space potatoes.....

"if you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you." (Jesus Christ, gospel of thomas.)

We've been fighting ww3 for at least ten years. Steppewar was right....
fairyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
screamingeagle

Where can i apply....sounds cool
Old 20-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
steppewar
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by branwen01 View Post
Yes, but only if there is enough oxygen in the spacecraft to get halfway there.
steppewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
danielfulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppewar View Post
Yes, but only if there is enough oxygen in the spacecraft to get halfway there.
As if getting there was the goal:

http://kristinbythesea.blogspot.com/...-artistic.html
danielfulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
blahblah
Banned

Total fake story....we have never been to Mars...all propaganda...

In fact, what will probably happen here, is they will create a reality show about this, with actors, pretending to go to Mars....and the fucked up braindead masses will believe it....

You heard it here first......
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote