Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 18-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
catnap

Default Why do people pay the TV licence fee in the UK?

Why do so many pay this inexcusable fee particularly in times of economic austerity?

I see people on the news talking of cutting back food to help pay increasing energy bills, turning the heating off to save money etc etc but most people carry on paying over £140 for a TV licence! Why?

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.
catnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
thegatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post
Why do so many pay this inexcusable fee particularly in times of economic austerity?

I see people on the news talking of cutting back food to help pay increasing energy bills, turning the heating off to save money etc etc but most people carry on paying over £140 for a TV licence! Why?
I think you have to pay it now if you have an internet connection and no tv...as you may be watching tv on the computer!

It's actually very strictly enforced with quite large fines etc. The weather's so bad in the UK that you inevitably have to resign yourself to a bit of telly here and there...which is why most people just pay it. Nobody agrees with it by the way, just another thing we take on the chin in the UK.
thegatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
catnap

I guess what I am saying is why, when money is so tight for so many, doesnt everyone turn around and give the BBC the finger and refuse to pay the fee? There is little they could do about it.

How can the license fee be even remotely justifiable?

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited by catnap; 18-10-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 18-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
chris

Actually, I've just been on the phone to the TV licencing company and they have informed me that the only time you need a TV licence if you watch TV over the internet is if you are watching a live streaming show.

So you can even watch BBC IPlayer and 4oD.

I got him to confirm this numerous times, I then asked him to cancel my TV licence (the systems were down so I said I'll call back later)...

Here's a quote from the TV licence website...

Quote:
You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
So this is excellent news...
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
faustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegatherer View Post
I think you have to pay it now if you have an internet connection and no tv...as you may be watching tv on the computer!

You only need a TV license to watch live TV streams on the internet, or recorded programs being broadcast on the internet at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

You can watch Iplayer and 4od etc all day long without a license as long as whatever you're watching isn't being shown in TV at the same time.

3 years with no license and I wouldn't go back even if it was free.

Last edited by faustus; 18-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
faustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
faustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I then asked him to cancel my TV licence
Welcome to the real world brother!
Old 18-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
carole21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post

Such a good question, i wish I knew the answer. I think that i pay for one because I am too frightened not to.
Old 18-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
catnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole21 View Post
I think that i pay for one because I am too frightened not to.
I think maybe allot of people feel afraid - I can understand that. I used to feel the same but then just got too angry about it all and their bully boy tactics. I would love to see everyone give them the finger and refuse to pay!

Old 18-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
chris

Catnap, before this I have heard rumours that TV Licencing people were like the Mafia. If you don't own a TV licence, they won't believe you and will try to get you.

I also heard the rumour that if you so much as own a computer connected to the internet, you will have to have a TV licence. I heard this from multiple sources and even in a news paper.

The truth of why I and many other people that don't watch much TV is, they are afraid of the BBC. I personally was scared that if I didn't own a TV licence, they would send their goons round and violate my property and try to frame me in some way. So I paid my TV licence out of fear. Also when I moved into my flat, I had ideas of potentially growing some bud so I really didn't want to draw any attention to the place.

Look at these links, you can see that people get harrassed non-stop if you do not own a TV licence.

http://www.lime-marmalade.net/
http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Tips%20f...harassment.htm

However, thanks to your post I plucked up the initiative and am going to cancel my TV licence as soon as possible. I hope others will do the same
Old 18-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
sorath

Through fear of not being like everyone else. Nobody wants to stand out as a non-conformists in our society. It's the same reason people still have their children christened and get married in a church. These people may not be christians, but they do it because it's always been done.

"…why should we not calmly and patiently review our own thoughts, and thoroughly examine and see what these appearances in us really are?"

Last edited by sorath; 18-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
sorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
faustus

In 3 years I've had one Capita employee round my house (the License Fee collection service is outsourced to Capita, like most UK government financial schemes.... ) that lasted about 5 minutes.

He came in, asked me why I still had an aerial if I no longer watched TV.
I asked him if he was using his Microwave oven right that moment.
He answered- no of course not.
I then pointed out to him that even though he wasn't using it right that second, it didn't mean he threw it in the bin, did it?

He tried arguing further with me, but at that I told him to now leave my premises, he was no longer welcome.

Other than that, I've had calls from my broadband provider every 6 months or so offering me TV deals, which I have to explain to them every time that I don't actually watch TV. Had some amusing responses to that.

Nothing else.
Old 18-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
1eyeopen

People pay it because they are afraid not to. Afraid of the enforcement agents knocking on the door, afraid of what the neighbours will think, afraid of the fine.

It comes down to fear.
1eyeopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
carole21

I am not afraid of being different, I am afraid of going to court, having money taken away from me and being harrassed.
Before I had a tv and therefore nor liscense I used to get a lot of threatening letters from the company- I found it frightening.
I relly just want to live a quiet law abiding life.
Old 18-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
sorath

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole21 View Post
I am not afraid of being different, I am afraid of going to court, having money taken away from me and being harrassed.
Before I had a tv and therefore nor liscense I used to get a lot of threatening letters from the company- I found it frightening.
I relly just want to live a quiet law abiding life.
It's not the law though.

I got the letters for at least 3 years before they stopped. I don't actually watch tv but I didn't want to play their game so just ignored them. They send petty letters right through to heavy letters and then back to petty letters again before it all just stopped.

"…why should we not calmly and patiently review our own thoughts, and thoroughly examine and see what these appearances in us really are?"
sorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
sillybilly

I thought the law was you are supposed to have a licence even if you just had equipment capable of receiving live tv? Apparently not.
How do they know you are not watching live tv on your computer anyway? Are they actually going to check your computer?
I currently watch Sky freesat on an ancient TV with an even more ancient sky box. The TV is rubbish, the box needs replacement and the satellite dish needs checking. I may just ditch it all when the time comes.
Will be interesting as I won't be taking down the sat dish.

Last edited by sillybilly; 18-10-2011 at 04:24 PM.
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
zephirop
Banned

I don't watch any TV these days, haven't for a year now.

But when I did, I used to like the advert-free nature of the BBC programs, I know they fudge it all the time, with adverts for their own stuff and product placement.

But still, it was nice.
zephirop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
smigger
Banned

Don't pay it, tell all of your friends don't pay.

Google ..........TV licence resistance....... and get involved with one or more of those that appear. You will find youtube videos of people at their own front doors frustrating the TV licence callers.

Don't pay, the BBC are another criminal organisation.
smigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
wake_up_bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
I thought the law was you are supposed to have a licence even if you just had equipment capable of receiving live tv? Apparently not.
How do they know you are not watching live tv on your computer anyway? Are they actually going to check your computer?
I currently watch Sky freesat on an ancient TV with an even more ancient sky box. The TV is rubbish, the box needs replacement and the satellite dish needs checking. I may just ditch it all when the time comes.
Will be interesting as I won't be taking down the sat dish.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15/

Quote:
You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.
Regarding the second part, this is the point. The only way they could enforce the law regarding laptops is to take everyone in the country to court. This would be rather impractical.

Just so you know as well, see page 5:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...c/128/128i.pdf

Quote:
In January 2006, the Office of National Statistics classified the licence fee as a tax for the first time.
The licence fee is a television tax.
wake_up_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #19
thegatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Actually, I've just been on the phone to the TV licencing company and they have informed me that the only time you need a TV licence if you watch TV over the internet is if you are watching a live streaming show.

So you can even watch BBC IPlayer and 4oD.

I got him to confirm this numerous times, I then asked him to cancel my TV licence (the systems were down so I said I'll call back later)...

Here's a quote from the TV licence website...

So this is excellent news...
That's some good news then, cheers!

Last edited by thegatherer; 18-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.
thegatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
chris

Just phoned them back and their system is now online and I cancelled my licence. I also got a refund of about £60 which is pretty sweet.