Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
theabbot 7

Default The Shamanic View of Mental Illness

The Shamanic View of Mental Illness
What a Shaman Sees in A Mental Hospital

In the shamanic view, mental illness signals “the birth of a healer,” explains Malidoma Patrice Somé. Thus, mental disorders are spiritual emergencies, spiritual crises, and need to be regarded as such to aid the healer in being born.

What those in the West view as mental illness, the Dagara people regard as “good news from the other world.” The person going through the crisis has been chosen as a medium for a message to the community that needs to be communicated from the spirit realm. “Mental disorder, behavioral disorder of all kinds, signal the fact that two obviously incompatible energies have merged into the same field,” says Dr. Somé. These disturbances result when the person does not get assistance in dealing with the presence of the energy from the spirit realm.

One of the things Dr. Somé encountered when he first came to the United States in 1980 for graduate study was how this country deals with mental illness. When a fellow student was sent to a mental institute due to “nervous depression,” Dr. Somé went to visit him.

“I was so shocked. That was the first time I was brought face to face with what is done here to people exhibiting the same symptoms I’ve seen in my village.” What struck Dr. Somé was that the attention given to such symptoms was based on pathology, on the idea that the condition is something that needs to stop. This was in complete opposition to the way his culture views such a situation. As he looked around the stark ward at the patients, some in straitjackets, some zoned out on medications, others screaming, he observed to himself, “So this is how the healers who are attempting to be born are treated in this culture. What a loss! What a loss that a person who is finally being aligned with a power from the other world is just being wasted.”

Another way to say this, which may make more sense to the Western mind, is that we in the West are not trained in how to deal or even taught to acknowledge the existence of psychic phenomena, the spiritual world. In fact, psychic abilities are denigrated. When energies from the spiritual world emerge in a Western psyche, that individual is completely unequipped to integrate them or even recognize what is happening. The result can be terrifying. Without the proper context for and assistance in dealing with the breakthrough from another level of reality, for all practical purposes, the person is insane. Heavy dosing with anti-psychotic drugs compounds the problem and prevents the integration that could lead to soul development and growth in the individual who has received these energies.

On the mental ward, Dr Somé saw a lot of “beings” hanging around the patients, “entities” that are invisible to most people but that shamans and psychics are able to see. “They were causing the crisis in these people,” he says. It appeared to him that these beings were trying to get the medications and their effects out of the bodies of the people the beings were trying to merge with, and were increasing the patients’ pain in the process. “The beings were acting almost like some kind of excavator in the energy field of people. They were really fierce about that. The people they were doing that to were just screaming and yelling,” he said. He couldn’t stay in that environment and had to leave.

http://www.jaysongaddis.com/2010/11/...ental-illness/

THis is all ill to me because i can do some crazy stuff in my mind, but i dont have an outlet yet to prove it to people. After taking some drugs like Salvia and Psylocybin mushrooms i must have opened some sort of gateway to the spirit dimension and experience all sorts of synchronicities and events that normal people wouldn't see or hear.
theabbot 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
armoured_amazon

I can totally agree with that.

I Am Warrior, Queen Tantrum
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
ragnarok

I can't agree with anything that tries to excuse or explain extremes of human behaviour by reference to spirits, demons and entities.

It'd be a dull world if we all thought the same tho'.

Individuals do not need satanic influences to carry out dastardly behaviour. They are quite capable of that off their own bat.

Last edited by ragnarok; 03-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
dhama_initiative

I think skitzo (sorry for spelling) people may have a head tuned to hearing demons or something. do any of them get nice voices? what can we do. We dont have shamans here to train them to be protected. its really scary for them.
dhama_initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
divadsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabbot 7 View Post
The Shamanic View of Mental Illness
What a Shaman Sees in A Mental Hospital

In the shamanic view, mental illness signals “the birth of a healer,” explains Malidoma Patrice Somé. Thus, mental disorders are spiritual emergencies, spiritual crises, and need to be regarded as such to aid the healer in being born.

What those in the West view as mental illness, the Dagara people regard as “good news from the other world.” The person going through the crisis has been chosen as a medium for a message to the community that needs to be communicated from the spirit realm. “Mental disorder, behavioral disorder of all kinds, signal the fact that two obviously incompatible energies have merged into the same field,” says Dr. Somé. These disturbances result when the person does not get assistance in dealing with the presence of the energy from the spirit realm.

One of the things Dr. Somé encountered when he first came to the United States in 1980 for graduate study was how this country deals with mental illness. When a fellow student was sent to a mental institute due to “nervous depression,” Dr. Somé went to visit him.

“I was so shocked. That was the first time I was brought face to face with what is done here to people exhibiting the same symptoms I’ve seen in my village.” What struck Dr. Somé was that the attention given to such symptoms was based on pathology, on the idea that the condition is something that needs to stop. This was in complete opposition to the way his culture views such a situation. As he looked around the stark ward at the patients, some in straitjackets, some zoned out on medications, others screaming, he observed to himself, “So this is how the healers who are attempting to be born are treated in this culture. What a loss! What a loss that a person who is finally being aligned with a power from the other world is just being wasted.”

Another way to say this, which may make more sense to the Western mind, is that we in the West are not trained in how to deal or even taught to acknowledge the existence of psychic phenomena, the spiritual world. In fact, psychic abilities are denigrated. When energies from the spiritual world emerge in a Western psyche, that individual is completely unequipped to integrate them or even recognize what is happening. The result can be terrifying. Without the proper context for and assistance in dealing with the breakthrough from another level of reality, for all practical purposes, the person is insane. Heavy dosing with anti-psychotic drugs compounds the problem and prevents the integration that could lead to soul development and growth in the individual who has received these energies.

On the mental ward, Dr Somé saw a lot of “beings” hanging around the patients, “entities” that are invisible to most people but that shamans and psychics are able to see. “They were causing the crisis in these people,” he says. It appeared to him that these beings were trying to get the medications and their effects out of the bodies of the people the beings were trying to merge with, and were increasing the patients’ pain in the process. “The beings were acting almost like some kind of excavator in the energy field of people. They were really fierce about that. The people they were doing that to were just screaming and yelling,” he said. He couldn’t stay in that environment and had to leave.

THis is all ill to me because i can do some crazy stuff in my mind, but i dont have an outlet yet to prove it to people. After taking some drugs like Salvia and Psylocybin mushrooms i must have opened some sort of gateway to the spirit dimension and experience all sorts of synchronicities and events that normal people wouldn't see or hear.
This is no accident or mistake on the part of the western powers that be.
This is intentional.
How can someone connected to spirit with healing abilities be controlled in a world where fear is used as a tool to control?
The western powers that be simply cannot afford to have many emerging psychic powers in people, because they wont be able to control these people.

This is also why there is stigma in mental illness.
divadsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
cantata
Inactive

I absolutely agree with the Shamanic view of mental illness.

And, having worked as a Legal Advocate in the U.K. mental health system, I can't tell you how deeply I disagree with the Western approach.
cantata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
oilydoyley

great post op
oilydoyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
porridge

Similar views:

The Value of Psychotic Experience by Alan Watts http://deoxy.org/w_value.htm

Terence Mckenna - Schizophrenic or Shaman

http://biologyofkundalini.com/articl...dSchizophrenia
porridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
dawnbreak
Banned

It's a hard one

some people are actually ill and can make their life better with help

Then some people are labelled 'mentally ill' but aren't ....they simply have a different experience.

But how can anyone truely say if what a person experiences in their own head is real or not
dawnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
phemohilia
Banned

I read Somé's book "Of Water And The Spirit" years ago and really enjoyed it!!
phemohilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
beldazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilydoyley View Post
great post op
Yes I completely agree, nice one.

I did a bit about abnormal behaviour in psychology a few years back and learnt then how other cultures view so-called mental illnesses like schizophrenia as a gift from the spirit-worlds. It made perfect sense.
beldazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
elpressiedente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
I can't agree with anything that tries to excuse or explain extremes of human behaviour by reference to spirits, demons and entities.

It'd be a dull world if we all thought the same tho'.

Individuals do not need satanic influences to carry out dastardly behaviour. They are quite capable of that off their own bat.

Its good to see you apply your satanic beliefs to everything you read.

we need posters like you so the rest of us know the good from the bad
elpressiedente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
blackstar76

I feel that is true. Tramatic events and or drug/booze opens up doors for these entities. Once in they are hard to get rid off. They influence your thoughts and energy to further suck you dry.

I use to sense these entities on certain mushrooms and pyote. I use to call them shadow people. They would pretend to be on myside and convince me that everyone was out to get me. They would turn my energy negative and people would sense my fear and act different towards me. Which in turn made me think these shadow friends are right. Sounds bonkers I know. Maybe bad trips or maybe something more.

Then 15 years of harder drug and booze abuse. And these beings have gained full control of me. Except they can't make me hurt others. So they make me hurt myself. Or influence me is a better word.

Even on a day where I meditate and clear my mind. The next day they come back with a vengence. Thoughts just pop into my head. I am like how the fuck did that thought get in my head. Especially after a night of heavy drinking. I think drugs and booze feed them.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
thegatherer

I think the whole 'matrix' of Westen soceiety makes a mental illness much more difficult to deal with. In a tribal and nature setting you would be much more grounded in reality and better equipped to come through it, especially when it was given respect within your culture.

Unfortunately we (in Modern siciety) dont have that, we have a full spectrum matrix society to work through, leeches (medical establishement and pharma) feeding off your crisis and a massive social stigma working against us.
A lot of people who see truth very clearly after passing through all that still get locked up for being 'crazy'!

Mad.
thegatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
porridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar76 View Post
I feel that is true. Tramatic events and or drug/booze opens up doors for these entities. Once in they are hard to get rid off. They influence your thoughts and energy to further suck you dry.

I use to sense these entities on certain mushrooms and pyote. I use to call them shadow people. They would pretend to be on myside and convince me that everyone was out to get me. They would turn my energy negative and people would sense my fear and act different towards me. Which in turn made me think these shadow friends are right. Sounds bonkers I know. Maybe bad trips or maybe something more.

Then 15 years of harder drug and booze abuse. And these beings have gained full control of me. Except they can't make me hurt others. So they make me hurt myself. Or influence me is a better word.

Even on a day where I meditate and clear my mind. The next day they come back with a vengence. Thoughts just pop into my head. I am like how the fuck did that thought get in my head. Especially after a night of heavy drinking. I think drugs and booze feed them.
Good post Black & I agree, Drugs/plants can open you up to entitys & specially with drink. Of course western belief would say this is total bullshit, but shamanic beliefs have been around for 1000's of years.
porridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
griffinman

Patient a; "Jeremy Paxman is sending microwaves into my brain, via the television."

Shamanic psychologist; "mmmh perhaps Paxman's spirit is trying to commune with your soul....coooMMMmmmune with you deep breaths.

Last edited by griffinman; 05-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.
griffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
ozpixie

Someone close to me had a 'psychotic breakdown' and was diagnosed with acute paranoid schizophrenia some years ago now. In all the jumble of 'ramblings' he spoke of corruption in the police force and named names. He warned that a certain group of organised crime had infiltrated the public service and were data mining people's personal and financial details. Within about 2 years later all that was reported in the mainstream news as fact and people went to prison as a result.
Changed my view of schizophrenia forever.

Last edited by ozpixie; 05-08-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
ozpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
kaiser
Premier Subscribers

Scitso runs in my family thus I take a great interest in the subject and have had a front row seat watching it at times.
I agree that those who suffer from this have been given a gift like the shamans say, but i fear the gift is usually mis understood and causes great confusion to the recipient, especially here in the west!
I'm undecided as to wether the spirit or energy is negative or positive but i suspect it could be mischievous in some.

Its definitely a genetic thing, my family history proves that and it keeps me on my toes being aware for it to come to me if it hasn't already. Ive always been aware of being watched and have been told I have a marvelous aura, so I'm ether there in the midst of it or am to positive for anything spiritually mischievous to bother me lol. Ether way I know my own mind and that seems to be enough, for now.....
Queen Elizabeth II has committed treason signing the EU treatys and Parliament, the courts and the judiciary are also corrupt. The time to bear arms approaches it is your lawfull right people but first we must assemble en masse to seek remedy by peaceful means if possible. The time is now to organise in your locality so do not delay or you and your children will be enslaved in the EU and the NWO dictatorship forever.

Magna Carta to the rescue ___The British constitution (1688) ___UKcolumn.org
kaiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
armoured_amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Ive always been aware of being watched and have been told I have a marvelous aura
Same. I also come from a long line of spiritual women. I think that's why I feel unfulfilled; maybe I should be doing something with my life in lieu of that. Strangers, psychics, mediums, randoms on the street etc, often tell me I'm a healer. Me? I can't even heal myself!

I Am Warrior, Queen Tantrum

Last edited by armoured_amazon; 05-08-2011 at 01:08 PM.
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
beldazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpixie View Post
Someone close to me had a 'psychotic breakdown' and was diagnosed with acute paranoid schizophrenia some years ago now. In all the jumble of 'ramblings' he spoke of corruption in the police force and named names. He warned that a certain group of organised crime had infiltrated the public service and were data mining people's personal and financial details. Within about 2 years later all that was reported in the mainstream news as fact and people went to prison as a result.
Changed my view of schizophrenia forever.
Wow nice one

I wanted to repost the article OP but the page can't be found

beldazar is offline   Reply With Quote