Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Have a Laugh
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 14-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
disorder2k8
Inactive

Default Saying text speak out loud

I'm starting to say text/net speech out loud and its starting to worry me. I often say "lol" to myself if I find something amusing. I also have one friend and know of at least one other who both say "lol" out loud.

Does anyone else know people who says net speech out loud? Or do you speak net speech yourself?

Its a very bad habit but I think this is going to be the future.

Technology is frying my brain because I also sometimes have computer activity in my dreams, like things I was doing and games I was playing in the last hour or so before I went to bed. Does anyone else get this?

I'm going nuts I think.
disorder2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
gallifrey
Inactive

I am aware of two people who do it incessantly. It makes me cringe. Text speak is the worst crime against the English language since the Americans wrote their own dictionary.
gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
neoconsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder2k8 View Post
Its a very bad habit but I think this is going to be the future.
I should hope not, I find it genuinely difficult to resist strangling people who actually say "lol".

That said, I generally don't abbreviate anything in a "txt spk" kind of way, regardless of whether I'm using MSN or my mobile phone or whatever. It's no extra effort to spell things correctly and punctuate properly.

I tend to ignore people who can't be arsed to type anything properly, and like I said - if they ever verbally said something like 'LMAO!' I'd give them a slap.
neoconsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
magenta_moonshadow

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

I sometimes say 'LOL!' out loud.
'Occam's Razor' - 'The simplest explanation is the likeliest one.' However, on this forum, not only does Occam not shave, but his balls haven't even dropped yet...
magenta_moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
bobbydiva

I did it as a joke for a while, walking around saying lol (loal) and rofl (roffle) I don't think I've ever said it seriously.

I get the gaming thing sometimes. In fact I've been on the DI forum in my dreams also...roffle.

Recent Posts:
Judy Wood And Why 9/11 Debates Still Rage On
bobbydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
disorder2k8
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallifrey View Post
I am aware of two people who do it incessantly. It makes me cringe. Text speak is the worst crime against the English language since the Americans wrote their own dictionary.
Yeah and that's why it worries me. But language always adapts and changes, why wouldn't it have a leaning towards technology which is extremely prevalent? Its not unreasonable to assume that it would.

I bet on more than a few occasions you've said 'googling'? Which is now an accepted verb in the Oxford Dictionary lol

Also I know a lot of people that will type LOL in a chat, but not actually be laughing or even smiling that bugs me too.. filthy lying hobos.

Last edited by disorder2k8; 14-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 14-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
gallifrey
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah and that's why it worries me. But language always adapts and changes, why wouldn't it have a leaning towards technology which is extremely prevalent? Its not unreasonable to assume that it would.

I bet on more than a few occasions you've said 'googling'? Which is now an accepted verb in the Oxford Dictionary lol
Ha, I concede the term "scroogling", but not "googling", unless someone doesn't know what Scroogle is.

The Oxford English Dictionary is great. I was so thrilled when they made 'TARDIS' an entry.

The English language should be advancing, with an ever expanding vocabulary, yet strangely, it seems to be regressing.
Old 14-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
gallifrey
Inactive

Quote:
Also I know a lot of people that will type LOL in a chat, but not actually be laughing or even smiling that bugs me too.. filthy lying hobos.
Yes, I hate that.

Desensitized automated response....
Old 14-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
disorder2k8
Inactive

Quote:
Ha, I concede the term "scroogling", but not "googling", unless someone doesn't know what Scroogle is.

The Oxford English Dictionary is great. I was so thrilled when they made 'TARDIS' an entry.

The English language should be advancing, with an ever expanding vocabulary, yet strangely, it seems to be regressing.
Yes thats true, but we also still understand it. What a word is spelt like should have no impact on its meaning. Its the grammar and sentence formation that is a real problem and any idiot can form a crap sentence out of any words.

"I aint got nothing".. for example. Which are fairly normal words used in a terrible way.
Old 14-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
gallifrey
Inactive

Quote:
Yes thats true, but we also still understand it. What a word is spelt like should have no impact on its meaning. Its the grammar and sentence formation that is a real problem and any idiot can form a crap sentence out of any words.

"I aint got nothing".. for example. Which are fairly normal words used in a terrible way.
Yes. It speaks volumes for the educational system that a vast number of people don't know how to use a colon, semi-colon or hyphen in context. Even the apostrophe is falling foul of misuse and abuse.

I don't even want to start on the spelling...

And as for the so-called word "innit"... What the hell does that mean???
Old 14-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
disorder2k8
Inactive

Quote:
Yes. It speaks volumes for the educational system that a vast number of people don't know how to use a colon, semi-colon or hyphen in context. Even the apostrophe is falling foul of misuse and abuse.

I don't even want to start on the spelling...

And as for the so-called word "innit"... What the hell does that mean???
Its a hybrid of 'Isn't it' and it means "do you agree/do you know what I mean?"
Old 14-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
cultofexperience

Quote:

LOL

Back in the 80's they attempted to get us accept Ebonics, which was a phonetics-based way of communicating. I figured this was just the politically correct version that they finally managed to insinuate into common usage.
cultofexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
myth

Never use text speak out load myself, and try not to even use it on my phone. But the English language is evolving all the time, so I guess it's inevitable that some text type language will find it's way in there and stick

The sooner we start to realise that we are all part of the Universe, instead of believing that the Universe revolves around us individually.... then the sooner we will start living a more harmonised and peaceful life together - Heath
myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
truthseeker512

It truly pains me when I hear people I know saying 'LOL' out loud.
truthseeker512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
gallifrey
Inactive

Quote:
Its a hybrid of 'Isn't it' and it means "do you agree/do you know what I mean?"
It makes me cringe worse than 'lol' or the other one, 'leet', aka '1337'. Urgh.

At least 10 years ago 'leet' would have been spelt '3l173', as I remember.

Last edited by gallifrey; 14-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 14-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
curtaincat
Banned

Quote:
This is the funniest thread ever. Don't you even know that the english language comes from a whole lot of other languages, all mixed together, jeez louise... well, I know you do. But why get so snobby about it? French, Latin, the danish, etc...

I cannot help laughing. I have been defending text speak forever, and I can hardly even use a mobile. I have trouble texting ffs. See, u see wot i said there. and yet u understand.

the only thing that really matters is that people communicate.

OK, say you got fell off a boat in a freezing lake... BUT .. u had your mobile wiv u... are you going to text

"Dear Lifesavers, If you have the time, I am having a spot of bother here, perchance I may drown. I would welcome the opportunity of being saved. Thankyou for your kindness, in advance. Yours Sincerely... glug.. glug.. drowin... fishies got me..."

Or would you type in the nearest emergency number, HELP SOS

maybe you do not even believe in S.O.S

S.O.S. was one of the FIRST TEXT MSGS.

hey, u gotta laugh, right?
'

and yeah, emoticons do help, i reckon.

Or , to be old fashioned formal and all that, I posit that to the forum.
curtaincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
curtaincat
Banned

I forgot to say, yeah, i do say TY out loud, and LOL, and YW

btw, YW lol
Old 14-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
gallifrey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtaincat View Post
This is the funniest thread ever. Don't you even know that the english language comes from a whole lot of other languages, all mixed together, jeez louise... well, I know you do. But why get so snobby about it? French, Latin, the danish, etc...

I cannot help laughing. I have been defending text speak forever, and I can hardly even use a mobile. I have trouble texting ffs. See, u see wot i said there. and yet u understand.

the only thing that really matters is that people communicate.

OK, say you got fell off a boat in a freezing lake... BUT .. u had your mobile wiv u... are you going to text

"Dear Lifesavers, If you have the time, I am having a spot of bother here, perchance I may drown. I would welcome the opportunity of being saved. Thankyou for your kindness, in advance. Yours Sincerely... glug.. glug.. drowin... fishies got me..."

Or would you type in the nearest emergency number, HELP SOS

maybe you do not even believe in S.O.S

S.O.S. was one of the FIRST TEXT MSGS.

hey, u gotta laugh, right?
'

and yeah, emoticons do help, i reckon.

Or , to be old fashioned formal and all that, I posit that to the forum.
I am a language Nazi.

I admit it. And no, I don't approve of SOS. It was much better when it was CQD!!!

As it happens, I am going to enter:

"Dear Lifesavers, If you have the time, I am having a spot of bother here, perchance I may drown. I would welcome the opportunity of being saved. Thankyou for your kindness, in advance. Yours Sincerely..."

into my phone now, and save it as a draft message, ready to send should I ever need to, thus avoiding text speak.
Old 14-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
ellis_deatrip

"O.K." does that count?
..), .(_(__) /
.// (..)),````
//__/Give a man a bank,he can rob the world!
.//__/
ellis_deatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
curtaincat
Banned

Quote:
I am a language Nazi.

I admit it. And no, I don't approve of SOS. It was much better when it was CQD!!!

As it happens, I am going to enter:

"Dear Lifesavers, If you have the time, I am having a spot of bother here, perchance I may drown. I would welcome the opportunity of being saved. Thankyou for your kindness, in advance. Yours Sincerely..."

into my phone now, and save it as a draft message, ready to send should I ever need to, thus avoiding text speak.

LOL, ( that means i am laughing in a friendly way, kind of going a bit hilarious, cos i love your msg, hee hee) ,

Ok, so next time u r on a boat, i have saved you a lot of texting, wow, am i brill or what? lol

I dont even know what a draft message is.
Only two people have my number and one of them is if i need beer , ie stop at the pub on the way home , lol. See, to me .. lol, means a friendly msg, smiles.

Now, dont make me run to my history books , cos latin is not my subject.

Dont go into any boats either.