Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
authority
Banned

Default Magic Lantern, FBI's keystroke logging software

Magic Lantern is keystroke logging software developed by the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation. Magic Lantern was first reported in a column by Bob Sullivan of MSNBC on 20 November 2001[1] and by Ted Bridis of the Associated Press.[2]\\\

How it works

Magic Lantern can reportedly be installed remotely, via an e-mail attachment or by exploiting common operating system vulnerabilities, unlike previous keystroke logger programs used by the FBI
.[3][4] It has been variously described as a virus and a Trojan horse. It is not known how the program might store or communicate the recorded keystrokes.

Purpose

In response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed in 2000 by the Electronic Privacy Information Center, the FBI released a series of unclassified documents relating to Carnivore, which included the "Enhanced Carnivore Project Plan". Sullivan's confidential source said that redacted portions of that document mention "Cyber Knight",

“ a database that sorts and matches data gathered using various Carnivore-like methods from e-mail, chat rooms, instant messages, and Internet phone calls. It also matches files with captured encryption keys. ”

(who do you think is behind Google's "Google Voice"?

Spokesmen for the FBI soon confirmed the existence of a program called Magic Lantern. They denied that it had been deployed, and they declined to comment further.[5]

[edit] Antivirus Vendor Cooperation

The public disclosure of the existence of Magic Lantern sparked a debate as to whether anti-virus companies could or should detect the FBI's keystroke logger.

[edit] Network Associates, McAfee products

Bridis reported that at least some anti-virus companies, including Network Associates (maker of McAfee anti-virus products), had contacted the FBI following the press reports about Magic Lantern to ensure their anti-virus software would not detect the program.[6]

Network Associates issued a statement denying cooperation with U.S. legal authorities within a week, fueling speculation as to which anti-virus products might or might not detect government trojans.[7] CNET News has surveyed 13 security companies about their contacts with and level of cooperation with law enforcement authorities.[8]

[edit] Symantec

The FBI confirmed the active development of Magic Lantern, a keylogger intended to obtain passwords to encrypted e-mail as part of a criminal investigation. Magic Lantern was first reported in the media by Bob Sullivan of MSNBC on 20 November 2001 and by Ted Bridis of the Associated Press.[1][2] The FBI intends to deploy Magic Lantern in the form of an e-mail attachment. When the attachment is opened, it installs a trojan horse on the suspect's computer. The trojan horse is activated when the suspect uses PGP encryption, often used to increase the security of sent e-mail messages. When activated, the trojan horse will log the PGP password, which allows the FBI to decrypt user communications.[9][10] Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted Magic Lantern, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton Internet Security, incapable of detecting Magic Lantern. Concerns include uncertainties about Magic Lantern's full potential and whether hackers could subvert it for purposes outside the jurisdiction of the law.[11][12]

Graham Cluley, a technology consultant from Sophos, said "We have no way of knowing if it was written by the FBI, and even if we did, we wouldn’t know whether it was being used by the FBI or if it had been commandeered by a third party".[13] Another reaction from this came from Marc Maiffret, chief technology officer and cofounder of eEye Digital Security who states: "Our customers are paying us for a service, to protect them from all forms of malicious code. It is not up to us to do law enforcement's job for them so we do not, and will not, make any exceptions for law enforcement malware or other tools."[14]

When asked if Magic Lantern would need a court order to deploy, FBI spokesman Paul Bresson would not comment, stating: "Like all technology projects or tools deployed by the FBI it would be used pursuant to the appropriate legal process."[15][16] Proponents of Magic Lantern argue the technology would allow law enforcement to efficiently and quickly decrypt messages protected by encryption schemes. Implementing Magic Lantern does not require physical access to a suspect's computer, unlike Carnivore, a predecessor to Magic Lantern, since physical access to a computer would require a court order.[17]

-----------------------------------------------------------

so, those fuckers can infect our computers so that they collect "dirt" on us and antivirus companies are in bed with them.

that is why we should be using only open source antivirus engines

we should also expose companies like Symantec, McAffee and others that are in bed with those ZOG criminals and tell everyone not to buy their products, products that may also have backdoors built in, not only whitelisted some agency of U.S. government.

Antivirus and internet security products are PERFECT way to spy on us, to upload "interesting" data to some government database
that was obtained by some company like McAffee or Symantec,

all while those companies are pretending that they are downloading virus engine updates and virus definitions
And, all of that is done because ostensibly they want to protect us.
When Iwas using Symantec antivirus products it used to take long time for updates, with Czech based Avast Antivirus my updatess take a few seconds. What was Symantec transferring - i have no idea, but i can tell you that it should not take so much time to update the definitions.

this reminds me of all those cell towers that are frying people alive
while people think that those cell towers are there for improving coverage of their mobile phones.

we need to look in plain site, there are the greatest conspiracies of all hiding in front of our noses!

only open source software should be used for any security related applications as open source software can be openly scrutinized. period

it makes you think who is writing all of those viruses and whom those virus writers really work for!

Last edited by authority; 07-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.
authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
littlegreenman

Install Keyscrambler, it encrypts your keystrokes as you type away.

Problem solved
littlegreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
illuminumnuts

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman View Post

Problem solved
Any good threads on this sort of stuff?
Are you selling out your own sons, daughters, nephews and nieces? Good job! Bellboy!
illuminumnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
littlegreenman

Quote:
Any good threads on this sort of stuff?
I couldn't say about any threads on this kinda stuff. I've been using Keyscrambler for awhile now and am impressed with it. Gives me piece of mind, as I surf

There's a free addon version for firefox (encrypts everyhing typed in firefox) or the premium version that encrypts everything, when using Word etc.

Last edited by littlegreenman; 08-02-2010 at 08:30 AM.
littlegreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
illuminumnuts

Well, i'm not doing anything illegal and I do everything on the basis that they can see everything. However, I would like to make their lives as difficult as poissible, as I know they are nosey control freaks. How about we turn this thread into a general pc security thread if the OP has no objections? How about people post their complete package of tools and their logic behind it? We can then compare and criticise. I'm sure others would have questions too.
Are you selling out your own sons, daughters, nephews and nieces? Good job! Bellboy!

Last edited by illuminumnuts; 08-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
karen3
Banned

It seems like a gross invasion of privacy.

That said, I'm sure no one here really has to worry about it. I'm sure the feds use their tools for, you know, things that are actually important.
karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
illuminumnuts

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen3 View Post
It seems like a gross invasion of privacy.

That said, I'm sure no one here really has to worry about it. I'm sure the feds use their tools for, you know, things that are actually important.
Sure thing Karen.

If Karen has come on to this thread, then this has to be something we should be pressing on with. Cheers for the info Karen.

Last edited by illuminumnuts; 08-02-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
illuminumnuts

Does anyone have a preference out of AVG and Avast for any reason?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
orage

Exclamation tools

here's a list of privacy tools & tips, including encryption, proxy services and key-scramblers. Important for everyone; when you thing you got nothing to hide, how about your banking information or passwords?

http://privacytools.freeservers.com/

http://mensch-orage.blogspot.com/
orage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
karen3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminumnuts View Post
Does anyone have a preference out of AVG and Avast for any reason?
AVG seems to be the best Anti-virus software out there. It's the only I've used that didn't slow my computer down at all.
karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
illuminumnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orage View Post
here's a list of privacy tools & tips, including encryption, proxy services and key-scramblers. Important for everyone; when you thing you got nothing to hide, how about your banking information or passwords?

http://privacytools.freeservers.com/
I guess, but thinking about it I do have something to hide. My privacy...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
brownjason

Good computer tracking software will help you to log and trace all your computer's activities and IP address even though you are away from your computer. it is now widely used in office to ensure employees work hard during working hours. If you wanna computer tracking software, you can visit anykeylogger.
brownjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
andy1033

The fbi who perve into your life are not very smart. They would never be able to work out your name, in a house of 1 person, thats how bad they are.
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
dolores1
Sin bin - Time Out

Andy the FBI don't have to be smart, they only need to use smart programming!

D
dolores1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
ritchs

I remember some years ago someone posted a keywords list that people should put on the end of their emails. It can be white text on white background so that it doesn't get seen by your recipient. Then the alphabet agencies computers go into high temperature when everyone starts doing it. I thought it was a funny post. Giving phantoms for them to chase and have their watch lists swell to the tens of millions
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
willoweyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman View Post

Problem solved
I've never heard of this, I shall be looking into it thank you - I had a key logger a few years ago, not sure where it came from mind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen3 View Post
AVG seems to be the best Anti-virus software out there. It's the only I've used that didn't slow my computer down at all.
See now AVG slowed my computer down when I had it, I have Norton at the moment, that cost me, and I'm not impressed with it at all
willoweyes is offline   Reply With Quote