Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
magicmerlin

Default ""2012 Survival Kit""....anyone making one?

Who here has a 'doomsday' survival kit, or is thinking of getting one before December 2012 arrives? It's something I have put off and obviously might not even need (ever).

But like many, I have tried to 'not be a sheep' for the past decade and naturally that includes being 'open-minded' about 21 December 2012, and other possible scenarios such as serious solar storms. If something did happen on December 2012 which brought down power, food, etc, then
I would feel like a complete fool, saying 'told you so' and then having not prepared for it.

It's not that I think something WILL happen, it's just that it might....whether it's December or beyond.

So, who here has one and who here is going to get one.... if so, what will it/does it contain?

All the best.
magicmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
tom bombadil

I like these sort of quizzers as it gets the old grey matter sparking.

On a budget, as lots are, I would first consider backing-up all of my comp stuff to a hard drive and placing it in a Farraday cage. These are simple to make, and all you really have to do is to wrap some tinfoil over anything you like and place it into a secondhand filing cabinet.

Include things like a radio, some walky-talkies, your hard drives and or tablets and lap tops (even if you use these every day, just get into the habbit of placing them in the cabinet when you are not using them).

Next I would find some bricks and some fire wood, and I would make a sixteen brick stove. You tube it. It is a very easy thing to do. No glue required. The stove is a very efficiant thing and you should not be tempted to make it any bigger. I experimented and just succeeded in buring more wood for the same cooking times. You use these things in the garden or on the porch, and because of this I would find a sea-side windbreak and place it around it and you but leaving the bottom open to wind. Or 1. it wont work as well. And 2. you might breath in to much soot. But the windbreak will also hide you and your chair and small table and stove. You can build the stove on top of the table, just use your head, depending on the table type. I I could, I would cover the lot with a tarp or the like so I dont have to stand in the rain.

At the same time, and using the same type of goodies, I would biuld a latrine. Jig-saw out an old chair (sand it a bit...oooh!) place it over a hole or trench. Cover the shit with the back-fill and ignore the wee. Move the chair along the trench as it fills. Do it as far as you wish to travel in the dark and find a potty or piss-pot too for times of 'I am not going out there'.

Both these things above (the stove to eat and heat water, and the bog) will cover the fact that if it does go tits-up, then the power will also stop and pumps wont pump. So no lecky or water from Thames or Eon.

For light and a little heat, then use candles. Dont seal-up the rooms vents or you might die of suffercation or Carbon monoxide poisoning. For real winter heat you need a fire place or a chair by a south facing window.

Dont light a stove in the kitchen. Use your 16 brick stove outside.
Stay warm by eating and living in sleeping bags.

For water, use the stand pipe outside that the gov. might set-up, even if you have your own water. Save water. A gallon per person-per day is minimum.

For food. Plenty of rice (in the uk its about Ģ1 a kilo). Lots of dried beans...look it up. Get more complicated if you like.

Anyone else?

nelly.
tom bombadil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
rbl_4nik8r

I agree with a lot of what was said above, but one thing I think the OP over looks is that you don't have to look at this as a Dec. 2012 event. Many of the people that went thru Hurricane Sandy are faced with some major problems and over a week out with no power, no gas for gens or cars, no stores open or ATM machines working for cash, no fresh water, and many of other things, just not there.

To me this is a good base model to work with and look at what can be done to fix each problem or prepare, that and a lot of common sense can make the difference.

Well if you are out of power what will this effect you on over the course of a day or few days to over a week, and if it effects a major area than you have even more problems. I have 2 generators but only one is at my house, plus I have a windmill so to me this is a moot point, I also have a tank for gas that would give me weeks of fuel for the gens. But what I have is out of the norm so lets look at some other things. What do you need power for ? Well cellphones can be a very useful tool if they still have service and one of the best things I would look at would be a solar charger for cellphones and other electric devices. Most of these can be found for under 100$ but the more you spend the better they are, or are they? Batteries would be next and if it means taking some out of cars that are sitting on top of other cars so be it, you could set up some lights with car batteries and if you don't have them on all the time they could last a few days, but this depends if you want to be seen or not.

Gas is a very big problem right now in the Northeast since a lot of the areas had gas but no electric to pump it, so what can you do? Well my first thought here would be some kind of hand pump that could go into the main tanks as well as some kind of siphon to get gas out of cars. OH then you also need to have the means to carry said gas, but you can worry about that later. It would not take much for someone to come up with a way to use a 55 gallon Rotary Hand Crank Pump and hook up a bike so you could peddle gas out of a big under ground tank from a store that has no power, if not you stick a 25 foot hose on the end and open the inlet or find the vent and your going to have gas. From cars well this depends, to me with what I saw you had cars thrown all over the place from tidal surge and in that case an Ice Pick would be the best bet its not like the cars are going any were, and if you put a hole at the lowest point on the tank you should not have to worry to much about water IF there is any till the tank is close to empty. I would not recommend the hose in the tank and suck on it, the taste can stay in your mouth for hours and could very well mess your body up, or worst yet you go smoke a cig afterwards and blow your mouth off. Now if you take a 4 foot hose and a 6 foot rope that fits thru it and tie it around something thats going to have a snug fit as you pull the rope out of the hose you will get a vacuum.

Cash countless number of people were left with no means of getting any money, or basically there ATM Cards were worthless. Here Silver is one of your best bets its still cheap and its unlikely that if you put a 100$ into Silver you would lose its value. Dime values for coins dated 1964 or earlier have the current silver price as their base value. At over $30.86 per ounce, all silver dimes are worth at least $2.08 each, and a half dollar going for $10.31 each. No I am not a coin collector, but I do have dimes, quarters and half dollars in silver and its not for hunting Werewolf's. Paper money to me in these times tho it might be useful I would be very careful on using it, most people will round up and they are not going to be picky on if you want change when they have a hundred people behind you wanting the same thing, odds are if it cost 10$ and all you have are 20$ its a good bet your paying 20$.

Food well yea I have rice and beans and lots of other things but a lot of it needs to be cooked or have water added to it, bet you never thought of that one. I think one of the biggest mistakes by the people in the first 24 hours after the storm went thru was them thinking help was only hours away. There is a fine line between Looting and trying to feed yourself when your starving, and with some of the things I heard about Staten Island they waited to long before taking action. In the first 24 hours the search party's should have been looking for food and either from refrigerator's floating around or in house no longer in use or off there foundation, or even if the Smiths and Jones next door evacuated and left a freezer full of meats, its a good bet that they wont make it back before the power gets on so the people left over taking it and using it is better then it going to waste. At 48 hours you might find some food still good, but this should have started at the first chance you had, and here is the fine line, I would not do it alone this is a time when the community needs to come together and in Staten Island it did, but in many cases it was not for days after the storm, and them first pickings were no longer good.

Medicine think about all the people that needed to take Insulin, thats got to be kept below 45 degrees, not much of a problem there now at night but had this been in the middle of summer many diabetics would be dead. If you or loved ones need to take some kind of meds have some on hand and store it safe and keep it with them.

Anyways just a few things I thought of that most people dont cover, I will try and get back here later and add few more things.

4.I am not that interested in seeking proof so to prove my point. doobyferkin
rbl_4nik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
living99

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
I like these sort of quizzers as it gets the old grey matter sparking.

nelly.

Yes, I have got the bricks for the oven as well and it might just fit inside my open fireplace indoors if needs be.

Candles/night lights tick
Water butts front and back of house tick (however i can only assume to use the back of house as the front of the house is on the street and I don't intend to guard it with a crowbar!

Empty and large containers for water; fill and refill every other week if you can. In our area water has been off for most of the day twice this year due to burst pipes and we got a feel for how much water is needed.

Food; usual cans as can't assume sufficient heat to cook rice etc but do have a camping stove and extra gas bottles. Need to buy a gas heater and bottle as well.

Got herbs/supplements/Spirulina to augment a poor diet. Iodine for radiation. Pulses to sprout for nutritious protein. Books to read when there is no power, Imagine how used we are to going to google or youtube for information on everything from health to learning how to build the brick oven .... need to have some printed material for what we have been saving up to study/learn 'when we get the time'.

I took a course on Ham Radio some years ago but never got the equipment so have forgotten how to set up. Maybe getting radio for a group/family/ community would be good now.

Great idea for the toilet Tom b; hadn't thought of that but worth finding an old bucket for indoors as well and empty each day.

You know the Japanese 'Princess' who talks about 3 days and nights of darkness around the end of the year. I sometimes mentally prepare myself for something like that. Warm clothing, candles, some firewood indoors and try to sleep through it all.

So much I could add but the mental preparation is the most important. Have a long-term view of this; don't expect things will 'return to normal' .... find inner strength or otherwise psychosis ensues if all that life was based upon was material worth and comfort so if/when that goes, what is left? Keep my humanity and don't die for the sake of a loaf of bread. In fact I have more of less given up buying bread anyway as i focus on getting strong and healthy.

Last edited by living99; 07-11-2012 at 01:19 AM.
living99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
mememe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmerlin View Post
Who here has a 'doomsday' survival kit, or is thinking of getting one before December 2012 arrives? It's something I have put off and obviously might not even need (ever).

But like many, I have tried to 'not be a sheep' for the past decade and naturally that includes being 'open-minded' about 21 December 2012, and other possible scenarios such as serious solar storms. If something did happen on December 2012 which brought down power, food, etc, then
I would feel like a complete fool, saying 'told you so' and then having not prepared for it.

It's not that I think something WILL happen, it's just that it might....whether it's December or beyond.

So, who here has one and who here is going to get one.... if so, what will it/does it contain?

All the best.

This is actually a really good topic that Iīve been kind of thinking a tiny little bit about lately. I even had planned to have a little wine later and start going through my storage and finding out exactly what I have. Iīve been stocking up on batteries and stuff for a few years (not for 21122012 specifically) but I donīt know where they are, I never find any when I need them and I know I have some interesting things in the mess I call closets, drawers, etc

I have lots of noodles and pasta, probably enough to get my family through for weeks and weeks (ok years) and I always like to have a little extra of all the stuff I use, so that if s really htf then Iīd be able to get used to loosing the luxury slowly. But I focus on things that keep you warm and give off light. My candle collection is huge! So is my firewood stash (I donīt care if people think Iīm crazy for hoarding tree branches in my basement lol) And I know that somewhere there is lots of other stuff, one box was filled with soaps but I havenīt seen that in at least 4 years... itīs here somewhere!

I found it funny to picture you telling people "I told you so" and then realizing that you hadnīt prepared - yeah I know my humor sucks

My advice is to quickly read a good book on survivalism that teaches you about all situations - if you havenīt already.

Iīd rather know the truth than be right

Last edited by mememe; 07-11-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: adding more
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
motleyhoo

What are you going to prepare for? This is the hardest question to answer and how you prepare depends entirely on that answer.

If you think you might get hit by a hurricane, tornado, flood, or temporary power outage, then a basic bugout bag and 72-hour food supply should suffice. But what about something more long term, like you have no power for 3 months or longer, or no water, or something happens that forces you to leave your dwelling indefinitely?

Right now i am at the stage that I don't have a lot of answers, only lots of questions. Like, what if it's winter and you have no heat?

I don't think there is any one right answer, nor do I believe that most people can prepare for every scenario. Maybe if you're already self-sufficient and living on a farm, but few people are in this situation. What if you live in a city?

My wife and I have begun to stock up on basic survival supplies, and we've started hiking and camping again just to get the feel of it. But long term survival? That's a whole nuther ballgame. I think most people who think they're prepped have no idea what it could really be like when the SHTF.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine

Last edited by motleyhoo; 12-11-2012 at 06:28 PM.
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
tom bombadil

I like the Jack Spearco way of doing things (mostly).

Prep for the best of times.

He says ' for when times get tough, or even if they dont'. And as a mantra its solid advice.

For me I think that if we change now rather than later, then that would be going someway into being prepaired for any (or most) of those problems that come your way.

To that end, I installed a big wood burner in the living room, insulated the house to within an inch of its life. Eat good foods and buy a minimum of processed nonsense. Take some supliments. Have a stocked larder and save cash by buying in bulk. Teach the kids (city kids through and through I fear ) the basics of self preservation against authourative figures. And how to use and make the stuff I said in my prievious post above. I have a get-home-bag at work. I am working on the wife's (in my oppinion, if she had what I have in her bag, she would not pick it up as she cant see the need, so I am still 'training' her).
For food I also have a book on 'hot-pot' cuisine as I can slow-cook on the burner. I know where all (read 'most') of the nut trees are in my area, and as I live on the borders I remind you that that is a lot of trees and bushes!!!

Thats not including all the 'kit' for us and the house that we have got over the last thousand years, but the stuff above (apart from the burner) is simple stuff and can be achived by anyone.

And it just helps us stay sane.

nelly.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
tom bombadil

Actualy, seing as I was the one that installed the burner, having never done it before, I say that any sod that thinks thay can do it probably CAN.

I wish I could post a pic. I did it over a few weeks while my mum was making her departure from this realm. I needed somthing to do!

Old 13-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
neonlinux

In relation to Tom's post about insulation within the home.
I have also been carrying out a good amount of insulation in our home and already reaping the benefits. I used an underlay of polystyrene insulation and then the foil insulation over the top of that and it is working pretty darn good.

I would love to be able to build my own free energy system. Been researching methods but I am not that great with building things. I am a Software Engineer, so my skills lay elsewhere. Though I try.
neonlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
tom bombadil

Hi neonlinux.

Having the knowhow is not an easy task in anything, as you know.

It takes too much of anyones time to do it all for themselves, so I am happy to bow out to those that sell the product or at least make it simple to understand for me.

What T F am I on about? Well in all of my lookings and studying and experimentings, I have come to the conclusion that its as easy as pie.
Forget all the electric and gas gennies, the turbines and all the stuff that costs monies to replace over the years, and concentrate on how it was done in the past.

This also means changing the way one views life though and getting the kids and the missus to follow suit is another toughy to think over.

To that, my goals are thus:
Property or land enough to supply all of ones 'needs'. Simple! I will not go on about becoming a farmer here, But what are they, my needs? Well to start off, my goal would include trying not to bring outside energy into my property as this costs monies or takes the resorses off of my land (barter etc).

Shelter. Lets be honest!! I could build a house, any of us could, by using the things on the land. But that is something one would find hard to do if they still had to work for another. When I went to the Lammas place in Wales, there was a chap that had done just that and said to himself that there would be nothing brought in that was more than five miles distant. This he found hard so I understand (I never spoke with him but others there know of his ways) So I WILL buy a house from another. I know of a gent in Scotland that supplies homes (pre-fab) that dont need any more heating other than that which comes from passive solar and human heat, and this is in the cold of the Scotish winters! Dont ask me just yet for the contact as its in a book and that book is packed away. The house looks no different from others.

With a water well and fuel supply in the form of pollarded and coppicing trees, I end up with heat if required, a cooking medium and water to drink and wash. Yes I need a stove (brought in) and yes I need a pump (brought in) But that is not my point. I am not gonna smithy all the metals a I? What I am on about here is cutting the need for everyday outside help.

So I have shelter, heat, water. No rent, no fuel bills and no water bills.

With water, I need to flush it away too. This easy and depending on my needs, I might just have a tank outside rather than a 'reed-bed'. But nothing leaves if I can help it.

Wheres the leccy you ask? Ok. What for? A fridge. a freezer. a telly-comp etc. a washing machine. kitchen appliances. The list goes on. But first must be for LIGHT. Question? How much light do I need and how much does it take in power to do that? Answer. I use LED arrays to supply the light and the power comes from batteries of course. How the batts. get charged is another issue. Later on that.

So what the freezer? OK, why a freezer? Why not hang food in a cold room? or use the veges available at the time of year? Meat and fish can be stored in other ways so one does not NEED a freezer. The same as the fridge. Use a cold wall. A short story; A few years ago I lived in a block of council flats. Not all of them, just the one. My wife, our child, my mum and my bro.-in law. We had a cold wall with a space behind a door that WAS the fridge. We still had a bog standard fridge-freezer combination but that was too small at the time and this cold cupboard was what we ended up using. That was in a block of flats built in the fifties. What could I do in my new home?
So in my view, why have frozen stuff if I use fresh foods or otherwise prepared foods?

The next power drain is from the washing machine. Ok, bear with me on this one as it takes a bit of thought.
We used to have a washing machine with two drums. One to wash and one to spin-dry. Not a drier, but just to remove the excess water before hanging out to dry. So, I would have a simple washer unit that can tumble and another unit that spins. Hot water from the stove goes in with the wash (and today, that water can be almost cold!) and I adgitate it over a period. I could have a pully system that does it for me, turning it a few revolutions before stopping for a few mins. Using a simple hung weight.
To spin, it goes into a second unit and is spun faster by the same pulley or from a simple windmill pulley. Shh, I know, but thats what will do all the leccy draining if I just used a normal washing machine set-up.

We also would have an aired wash-room that can be used in winter.

Ok. Then what? Most of the other stuff can run off of a battery set-up.

So what provides the power to the batts? Well that depends. Can I run a wood-steam combination? A water turbine? Forget Photovoltaic or a wind genny.

At first I use the outside leccy from the grid. It would be nonsense to not get connected straight away. The building of all of my infrastructure would move in leaps and bounds. Later, when the land I am on gives me the clue as to what I need to do, only then will I go off grid.

nelly.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
motleyhoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlinux View Post
In relation to Tom's post about insulation within the home.
I have also been carrying out a good amount of insulation in our home and already reaping the benefits. I used an underlay of polystyrene insulation and then the foil insulation over the top of that and it is working pretty darn good.

I would love to be able to build my own free energy system. Been researching methods but I am not that great with building things. I am a Software Engineer, so my skills lay elsewhere. Though I try.
Not only am I also a Software Engineer, but I live in one of those suburb subdivisions with big brick houses where everyone's lawn and property looks like it belongs on a magazine. It's nothing to brag about, and I actually hate it. Moved here when I was a different person inside. My point being that, not only am I not that mechanically handy, but because of restrictions I cannot really do anything to my house that would be cosmetically disparaging. I wish I could move out of this god-forsaken place, but homes everywhere around me have been sitting for sale for up to 3 years now.

My wife is the same, as if she also has had some switch flicked that makes her want to live a more simpler rural life. And she's a Software Engineer too.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
rbl_4nik8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhoo View Post
Not only am I also a Software Engineer, but I live in one of those suburb subdivisions with big brick houses where everyone's lawn and property looks like it belongs on a magazine. It's nothing to brag about, and I actually hate it. Moved here when I was a different person inside. My point being that, not only am I not that mechanically handy, but because of restrictions I cannot really do anything to my house that would be cosmetically disparaging. I wish I could move out of this god-forsaken place, but homes everywhere around me have been sitting for sale for up to 3 years now.

My wife is the same, as if she also has had some switch flicked that makes her want to live a more simpler rural life. And she's a Software Engineer too.

Are your kids Hardware Engineers, oh never mind it was a lame joke.

On electric, I think some people need to really think about that issue if its no longer there. Last weekend I was using some of my battery powered tools, to help put up a shed, and I was using 3" wood screws with my drill zapped 30 of them into the base in a few minutes, and I got to thinking how much time would it have taken me if I was using a screw driver, anyways I got halfway on the first screw and said fuck it.

Sure you can do it by hand but thats if you have all the time in the world to kill, I on the other hand don't. Anyways I was wondering if anyone here thought of or knows how to use a bike to charge up batteries. I am not to worried about it because I have a good deal of wind and I have 4 old forklift batteries that can power my needs for a few days at a time, and we have generator for back up, but I will be damn if I am going to look at building anything without power tools, and get it done in a timely manner.

Old 15-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
lhaull

Cool Thread guys, figured I'd add this link

http://www.springwise.com/eco_sustai...small-devices/

this looks cool.

Last edited by lhaull; 15-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
lhaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
apollo_gnomon
Banned

THAT'S what those are. I saw those in a picture from Hurricane Sandy and wondered what they were.

Thanks!

Here's the link to the company, BioLite. http://www.biolitestove.com/

This product is very interesting. In terms of how and what it burns it reminds me of the various "rocket stove" or "16 brick" stove designs, that use passive, channeled convection to induce draft into the burn chamber for more efficient burning, use small twigs as fuel, and cook on the "chimney" of the stove. It also reminds me of a tent heater we use in the National Guard, that burns diesel and the heat of the combustion creates the electricity to drive both the injector/burner fan and the warm air circulation blower.

Another thing about the BioLite stove that I like is the charging function. They're trying to push this technology into developing nations. Many of those have cell phone service way out in the bush where there's no infrastructure, so this gives the ability to charge a phone to more people.

People commenting on the article you link to complain that the BioLite costs 130 bucks, but here's a rocket stove for 135 that's not packable and doesn't charge a phone: http://www.buy.com/prod/grover-rocke...ngId=169403046

On the other hand, here's a site that sells a rocket stove made of tin cans for 35 bucks, and they tell you how to make one of your own: http://rocketstoves.org/
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
arcyclus

Quick!

Your area has a mandatory evacuation notice. You have only a few min. to get inside the evacuation vehicle waiting outside, You are only allowed to carry medium suitcase with you, What should that suitcase contain?
arcyclus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
apollo_gnomon
Banned

3 handguns and all the ammo in the house, 6 MREs, 2 aim-and-flame lighters, a box of bandaids, a bar of soap, a flashlight and fill the rest with toilet paper.

{eta**

following the premise of your question I typed this as fast as I could after reading it.

Last edited by apollo_gnomon; 17-11-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 17-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
blaze9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcyclus View Post
Quick!

Your area has a mandatory evacuation notice. You have only a few min. to get inside the evacuation vehicle waiting outside, You are only allowed to carry medium suitcase with you, What should that suitcase contain?
I dont take that evacuation vehicule.
blaze9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
arcyclus

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo_gnomon View Post
3 handguns and all the ammo in the house, 6 MREs, 2 aim-and-flame lighters, a box of bandaids, a bar of soap, a flashlight and fill the rest with toilet paper.

{eta**

following the premise of your question I typed this as fast as I could after reading it.

IMO, one of the most important and least mentioned thing is your identification- your Social Security card, Birth certificate, DL, and any thing else that could identify you as being who you say you are.
arcyclus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
rbl_4nik8r

Quote:

IMO, one of the most important and least mentioned thing is your identification- your Social Security card, Birth certificate, DL, and any thing else that could identify you as being who you say you are.
What if I want to be someone else? Or you don't want to be known.

I agree with the TP you can never have enough.

Also my truck is most likely bigger then the evacuation vehicle so I am good with what I want to take.

Old 17-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:

Damn. You got me on that one. Good post.