Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities
Register FAQ Chat Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
master card

Default Survival equipment, or no survival?!

Inspired by the recent earthquake thread and the drought we're facing this summer*, how many posters in the UK have made preparations for utilities and food should the banking system hit the fan, or worse?

Apart from large water containers, huge amounts of tinned food, camping gas, candles, lighters/matches, warm clothing, non prescription drugs etc., and loo roll of course, what other supplies should one need?

Or, is having nothing a more positive outlook?

Quite curious to know what percentage of people are prepared or don't feel the need.

MC

* I've had numerous dreams about this even before the hosepipe ban was implemented so the above is based on pure speculation and gut feeling!
master card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
belch

WTSHTF i will revert back to as far as a i need to revert back to.
If that means being a sewer rat thats happy to chew the rotting meat of a dead mans maggot infested carcass, then so be it.

If i can see it thru with my curtains drawn and a few pot noodles, All the better.

May the best form of life win!

Ps.
I own a Swiss Army Knife with no less than 7 life saving utensils built in.

Divnt worry man. You can always dream.

SPECTRE.
belch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
master card

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by belch View Post
If that means being a sewer rat thats happy to chew the rotting meat of a dead mans maggot infested carcass, then so be it.

If i can see it thru with my curtains drawn and a few pot noodles, All the better.

Ps.
I just spat a bit of pot noodle on my keyboard!

Good for you, I suspect I have the same laissez-faire attitude towards the whole survival thing. There are clearly some real pros on here which I offer my greatest respect.

On that note, if they could possibly offer their addresses that would be quite handy. I mean, I'd never ever consider abducting one of their chickens or anything

On a serious note, I'm sure a set of curtains could be cut into individual sheets of reusable bog roll if required... especially after all of those pot noodles.
master card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
hypophos

I would buy a cross bow or other primitive but effective weapon.
You can hunt and use it for defense.
hypophos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
bornfreenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by master card View Post
I just spat a bit of pot noodle on my keyboard!

Good for you, I suspect I have the same laissez-faire attitude towards the whole survival thing. There are clearly some real pros on here which I offer my greatest respect.

On that note, if they could possibly offer their addresses that would be quite handy. I mean, I'd never ever consider abducting one of their chickens or anything

On a serious note, I'm sure a set of curtains could be cut into individual sheets of reusable bog roll if required... especially after all of those pot noodles.
The best advice I can give you is only eat pot noodles when the shit truly hits the fan, fucking vile things
bornfreenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
noobcybot

Is anyone planning to be a bad guy in the post apocalyptic movie? Im going to fuck and eat anything that moves, tie skulls and random bits of metal my car, house and person. I shall also be holding thunderdome style events from the get go and listening exclusivley to heavy metal ( on stolen cd players with stolen batteries). I am also thjnking of some creepy slogans to put about the place in red spraypaint so suggestions are welcome. If anyone wants to join that would be great cus you need quite a few cars to do that thing where you ride around the good guys in a shark circle whooping and hollering. Cus i am gonna look like a dick trying to circle a refugee caravan with two cars.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
morgen_hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by belch View Post

Ps.
Top answer, in fact one of the best answers of all time... imho

Lots of good gear is great fun but knowledge weighs less and is more versatile (imo)

Politicians piss on us and the media tell us it's raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauneroo View Post
Or, alternatively, fuck you.
morgen_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
jonas parker

I don't know if it's a "creepy" slogan, but in the aftermath of Hurricane Rita, the neighbor down the street spray painted the following on a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood and posted it on his house which effectively deterred looters:

"ARMED AND INEBRIATED!
FEMA - SEND MORE BEER!"

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
noobcybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker View Post
I don't know if it's a "creepy" slogan, but in the aftermath of Hurricane Rita, the neighbor down the street spray painted the following on a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood and posted it on his house which effectively deterred looters:

"ARMED AND INEBRIATED!
FEMA - SEND MORE BEER!"

Haha, genius. You would have to think twice before heading in there.

We are having a joke here obviously, but on a more serious note a lot of survival guides dont go into the psychology of such a situation even with as JP pointed out, real life examples such as Katrina to learn from.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
alienbiketrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobcybot View Post
Ha ha, genius. You would have to think twice before heading in there.

We are having a joke here obviously, but on a more serious note a lot of survival guides don't go into the psychology of such a situation even with as JP pointed out, real life examples such as Katrina to learn from.
If a large scale Katrina hit a small to medium size country that would be the end of the government,law,social structure,and food and shelter in that country.And the country would be at the mercy of any help from people and governments other than their own.

That's the real fact about a large scale natural disaster and a serious example as you have mentioned, as to what can one even do or learn from if a large scale event such as this occurred.

And what individual items would even be realistic.
alienbiketrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
apollo_gnomon
Banned

I've posted this a number of times but it's always worth re-posting:

Here's a basic "checklist" I use. This started when I was taking my little kids to the park a lot (now they're in school) and I had to pack a bag. My wife joked that my diaper bag was equipped better than my ancestors packed to move cross-country on an ox-cart.

These items are listed in order of importance

1. water
2. food
3. clothing
4. shelter
5. transportation
6. sanitation
7. health care
8. small appliances
9. furniture
10. pets

The first 4 are your "survival basics. " Transportation is the difference between a pleasant vacation trip and eating your fellow passengers on a mountain top. When transportation becomes an issue, all the others take on greater importance.

Small appliances are things that make your life easier - like a lighter instead of matches, a telephone, hand-crank weather radio, flashlight, things like that.

Furniture makes occupation of an area more comfortable, but is the first thing you leave behind when it's time to bug out.

Pets are any life form that doesn't fall into one of the above categories. A dog that guards you is a small appliance for security. If you can eat the animal it's food, not a pet.

Do you remember pix of people escaping Hurricane Katrina with big screen televisions? Those people were stupid and deserved to die.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
isabeau

Here's my plan so far....

1.make a note of nearest gun shop
if shite hits fan loot that shop
2.then go to the camping store
and live there with all survival goods.

Haven't got any further, maybe
steal a tank, loot Tescos and live
in a cave...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
typenicknamehere

for several months we have had a wardrobe of various water/food which we add to every shopping should we ever need it in the future, however my biggest problem is one of health,

I constantly need preventer puffers I take one almost daily and if I was not able to access a chemist during some kind of 'end of the world' aftermath then that would mean a life or death situation for me, I was sent to hospital in one such scenario when I could not access these medicines.

I can only imagine looting chemists very early on when supplies are still available and taking what I need for my health, I would never do such a thing in normal circumstances but I nearly died before and I cannot let that happen again especially if I am trying to protect and survive with my family.
typenicknamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabeau View Post
Here's my plan so far....

1.make a note of nearest gun shop
if shite hits fan loot that shop
2.then go to the camping store
and live there with all survival goods.

Haven't got any further, maybe
steal a tank, loot Tescos and live
in a cave...
My list above is in order of importance. Your plan covers item 8, "small appliances."

Take food and water with you.
Old 13-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by typenicknamehere View Post
for several months we have had a wardrobe of various water/food which we add to every shopping should we ever need it in the future, however my biggest problem is one of health,

I constantly need preventer puffers I take one almost daily and if I was not able to access a chemist during some kind of 'end of the world' aftermath then that would mean a life or death situation for me, I was sent to hospital in one such scenario when I could not access these medicines.

I can only imagine looting chemists very early on when supplies are still available and taking what I need for my health, I would never do such a thing in normal circumstances but I nearly died before and I cannot let that happen again especially if I am trying to protect and survive with my family.
In your case an Item from #7 becomes life-critical. So I'd recommend figuring out away to have week ahead of your meds on hand, and rotate stock.

In the US these are called "inhalers." Not sure what the cost and useful lifespan and dose count is for one cartridge nor how tightly the prescription is controlled.

My mother went to Mexico several years ago and in order to get an extra week of a moderately controlled prescription (not something abusable like vicoden) she claimed she had lost the bottle and paid for an extra.