PDA

View Full Version : How to update three huawei E5830 Mi-Fi firmware

smoke n mirrors
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
How to get more out of your 3 MiFi E5830 or other huawei E58XX this is a software upgrade.

I have done this update on my Three Mobile Broadband MiFi E5830 and it works a treat. Disclaimer: If you wish to under take this software update I accept no responsibility should it fail! DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT WITH FIRMWARE UPDATES! IT CAN CAUSE THE TOTAL FAILURE OF YOUR UNIT IF THINGS GO WRONG.

There is a possibility that once you do this update you will not be able to alter the APN ID and Password. This update will give you access to the web based admin page via 192.168.1.1 which is blocked with the default firmware settings. You will still have access to the default 3 E5830 WiFi Manager in the usual way. You can access the APN settings there under TOOLS > Options > Profile Manager. I can switch between three.co.uk and 3internet but I already had them created prior to the update. I haven't tested this fully but it seems OK so far.

You only need to do this update if you want to access more advanced features and over come some shortcomings, with your Huawei E5830 MiFi unit default software as shipped by Three Mobile.

What you will need to do first is paste this link into your browser address bar: add [http:w ww.]netvigatoreverywhere.com/download/E5838Update_716.11.17.07.108SP02.exe and download a
30Mb exe file. :cool:

Now connect your E5830 to the USB port of your machine with the supplied cable. I'm assuming that you have already followed the original E5830 software installation. Now run the .exe file you downloaded and follow the instructions. A little warning...you will think you have bricked your unit if the update goes the same as mine. The updater will tell you not to power off or disconnect the unit while updating. The problem is it will reset your unit without having done anything! Poo in pants moment. :o If you had the standard 3 wifi manager open CLOSE IT! Now rerun the .exe and the update will proceed as expected. It takes a few minutes to complete so go and make a coffee.

Don't panic too much when you can't set and save the APN data on your upgraded E5830. All you need to do now is pull the cable out of the unit and do a power off/hard reset of the modem.

NOTE: You can't change the APN when you use the Quick Setup option! This is controlled by the default Three E5830 manager, which you can access when connected via USB in the usual way. After the hard reset the NETVIGATOR web interface will auto detect the settings stored in the default software. Access it again by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser if you closed the page in the last step.

The major advantages after following this upgrade to your Huawei E5830 are...

You can access the Web admin page of the router/modem via 192.168.1.1 user = admin password = admin. Obviously this has the advantage of allowing you to access the E5830, without it being connected to the USB port of your computer. (its worth it just for that!)

The Web admin interface will allow you to see the status of the battery and signal strength etc. It gets better, you can also gain access to features blocked by the nice guys at Three mobile. :cool:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2349/quickstart.jpg

You will notice that you can now see your usage stats on the system info page (something the guys at three thought we could live without :mad:). Unfortunately this is only useful on a uninterrupted connection per session, there is no direct way of seeing previous/accumulated totals etc. You will also see other useful info such as IP and Mac Address blar blar.

The mobile connection option allows you to change the status of your connection, depending on the options you have selected, regarding always on which I will mention later.

Now we get to the fun part...Advanced settings.

Advanced Settings is new: You can Restore Defaults (not sure I will be trying that one), Soft Reboot and Version.

Sim Settings: allows you to change the PIN (don't think I will try that one either). I'm assuming that the default software handles the PIN security.

Mobile Network settings: self explanatory.

Mobile Connection Settings: useful you can select the default connection functionality and idle time. Options available are Always On, Manual, On Demand and the idle time in minutes.

DHCP settings: self explanatory.

WLAN Settings: (here's the good bit)

WLAN status switching.

WLAN Basic Settings: There are some extras here you can select the country which allows access to the relevant wifi channels for each country.

AP isolation: You can allow machines to connect through the router to each other or not.

WiFi Auto Off: A common complaint with the 3 E5830 is that it is set to turn off by default - not any more, now you can force it to stay on. (Three default is fixed to Auto Off.)

WiFi Off Time (mins): depending on the option selected above, allows you to control the time before the unit turns the wifi off, when there is no activity.

WLAN Advanced Settings: WPA settings etc. probably best left to the default software to control.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7179/wlansettings.jpg

WLAN MAC Filter: Now you have the option to fix MAC addresses that are allowed to connect to your system (something the Three Mobile crew didn't think we needed). Unfortunately the list only allows for the entry of four mac addresses. For people who need the added security its a real bonus. :)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9682/macfilter.jpg

Security Settings:

Fire Wall Switch:

Change Admin Password: Change it from the default User = admin PW = admin before some stranger visits your newly accessible web admin settings. http://www.davidicke.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

The remaining options are much the same as default options available via the standard three E5830 control panel. IP Filter, Virtual Server, Special Applications, DMZ Zone, UPnP and Wireless web manager.

Another common complaint is the fact that the status lights on the E5830 power of after a few seconds. Well a nice touch of this update is that the broadband MODE (M) light stays on permanently, so you can see at a glance if you have a HSDPA connection. Nice!

There is no wireless access to the micro SD storage which would have been nice. I'm not sure if there is away to set-up a small ftp service, which could allow use of the SD card on the WLAN.

I know this isn't really the place for a tech type thread, but this is quite a hot topic among users of the E5830. There is very little information about this anywhere on the web that I could find. Hopefully once google sniffs about and indexes this thread, it should attract some additional traffic to the DI forums. If any DI users got one of these for Christmas they may find this useful also.

Credit needs to go to various posters on this thread... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1299227.html for the information they provided, as well as the link to the download file. :cool:

Enjoy

smoke n mirrors
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
If you don't know what an E5830 MiFi is here is a link http://www.which.co.uk/reviews-ns/3-mifi-mobile-broadband/index.jsp

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6339/3mifie5830.jpg

If you are interested in getting one, you need to make sure that you're in a good area for using the three network. It can be a bit of a pain to connect or get good data speeds in some areas. For an idea of coverage use this link http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage . I have been using the three network in SE London, Kent and Hampshire for well over a year now. It has been pretty good with the exception of the more remote locations in Hampshire and Kent. I use the 3Gb pay and go plan @ 15.00 which normally last the month. My machine is connected to the web in excess of 500 hours every month. I support a few websites and remote admin a few locations. I don't download too much or watch too many videos on-line. You also get something in the region of 500 sms txts per month included. Skype VOIP works well, I don't use a cam but I imagine it would be OK. I don't have a fixed land line, so the cost of my Broadband is not much more than one months line rental with BT, plus I can have web access when and where I want for just 15 PM. The current price for the E5830 is 49.99 plus a topup of 10 1Gb 15 3Gb 25 7Gb. It is cheaper on contract but obviously not as flexible. They also offer a One Month contract plan 15 5Gb. Price Plan Link http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/

If you're interested in three mobile broadband, I would say that the MiFi connection is the best solution. Its far more flexible than the traditional dongles. You can have up too four devices connected to the internet at any one time - useful if your have iPods, netbooks, IP camera's or multiple machines.

The downside is its not as fast as a fixed line solution (not an issue for normal browsing) - for youtube or download freaks, its very limited due to the data allowance. No fixed IP option, the IP you get is handled through some type of NATS system by three (I haven't had a problem so far due to that). The fix IP can be over come free using something like DynDNS http://dyndns.com.

flickflack
07-01-2010, 07:06 PM
The downside is its not as fast as a fixed line solution (not an issue for normal browsing) - for youtube or download freaks, its very limited due to the data allowance.

Also, there is usually a clear bandwidth limit/quota of how much data you can download/upload on the long run. Exceeding the bandwidth quota could temporary cut down service or higher the cost.

smoke n mirrors
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Also, there is usually a clear bandwidth limit/quota of how much data you can download/upload on the long run. Exceeding the bandwidth quota could temporary cut down service or higher the cost.

Not on pay as you go...when your 3Gb has gone it's game over, until you top up and start again. I think it cost 10p per meg if you exceed your allowance on a contract. In which case you would really need to log/monitor your usage. The E5830 has no logging for bandwidth which means you have to visit your account at three.co.uk. The problem with that is it doesn't refresh very quickly, the site also goes down regularly at night. You can over come this, by accessing the three site using the slower 3g connection. That forces you on to the web phone service, which is apparently more reliable and refreshes more often. I haven't tried that method yet though.

webguy
17-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the firmware update link. I'm in a spot of trouble though with it. I have the Huawei Mi-Fi E5830 and the firmware on it was 666.11.17.07.108SP02. I updated to the 716.11.17.07.108SP02 one. I had trouble updating it as I got unknown errors, but I succeeded in the end. So my problem is, when I go to the web interface and go to advanced settings and go to system, I get the software version as 666.11.17.07.108SP02, but I updated to 716.11.17.07.108SP02. How can I fix this?

The dark blue light is always on now (which is a good thing) but it never changes to the HSDPA cyan light which always changed for me before the update. Why is this?

Can you change the DNS servers to the openDNS servers for faster speed through the web interface?

Thank you so much for your help guys.

culabula
19-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Before I attempt this can it be confirmed that it does not re-lock an unlocked unit?

smoke n mirrors
19-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the firmware update link. I'm in a spot of trouble though with it. I have the Huawei Mi-Fi E5830 and the firmware on it was 666.11.17.07.108SP02. I updated to the 716.11.17.07.108SP02 one. I had trouble updating it as I got unknown errors, but I succeeded in the end. So my problem is, when I go to the web interface and go to advanced settings and go to system, I get the software version as 666.11.17.07.108SP02, but I updated to 716.11.17.07.108SP02. How can I fix this?

The firmware version is reported incorrectly. This update only allows you to access the unit, via the web interface. The main system firmware stays intact. Many of the settings are still governed by the primary software, while others can be viewed and changed from the web interface. You will need to use trial and error, to determine which SW dictates the changes to a given parameter.

The dark blue light is always on now (which is a good thing) but it never changes to the HSDPA cyan light which always changed for me before the update. Why is this?

I have no idea why the state of the light remains the same. The advantage is that you know you have a connection.

Can you change the DNS servers to the openDNS servers for faster speed through the web interface?

I haven't found away to change the DNS as yet. It's on the todo list, I will post a solution here if I find one.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Before I attempt this can it be confirmed that it does not re-lock an unlocked unit?

To the best of my knowledge, it will not re-lock your unit as it doesn't change the software that controls that. My unit isn't unlocked so I can't say first hand. There should be other threads on the web by now, that have more details about this update. There may even be a different firmware version, from an alternative third party E583x service provider. I haven't looked into it any deeper, as I can achieve what I needed to.

If you find more upto date info please post a link in this thread.

Cheers,

webguy
19-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks smoke n mirrors. Oh the DNS can't be changed on the unit itself but you can change it if you go to your active wireless properties on your computer and double click TCP/IPv4. All you have to do is click on use the following DNS server addresses and type in 208-67-222-222, next line, 208-67-220-220. This speeds the internet connection alot.

londonboy
20-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi I followed these instructions and fried a modem! This happened because the update failed mid way through and despite trying several times I was left with a useless piece of plastic. (Message was very helpful: 'An unexpected error has occured'!)

Determined to get the functionality I was after I got another one, and this time I researched the process. Don't follow the instructions above!!!! These seem to have an important stage missing. If you go to a Japanese carrier's site not only can you download the software, but you can also donwload the flashing instructions. In sumnmary, there is a stage where you have to hold the Power and Connect key for two seconds until two lights appear, then hard reset, cancel the update process, then re-start. All seems a bit magical, but I followed this and managed to update a second modem in a few minutes with no problems at all.

The site to go to is netvigatoreverywhere.com.

Good luck!

smoke n mirrors
20-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks smoke n mirrors. Oh the DNS can't be changed on the unit itself but you can change it if you go to your active wireless properties on your computer and double click TCP/IPv4. All you have to do is click on use the following DNS server addresses and type in 208-67-222-222, next line, 208-67-220-220. This speeds the internet connection alot.

Thanks for mentioning openDNS (http://www.opendns.com/) dns service more info here... http://www.opendns.com/

Hi I followed these instructions and fried a modem! This happened because the update failed mid way through and despite trying several times I was left with a useless piece of plastic. (Message was very helpful: 'An unexpected error has occured'!)

Determined to get the functionality I was after I got another one, and this time I researched the process. Don't follow the instructions above!!!! These seem to have an important stage missing. If you go to a Japanese carrier's site not only can you download the software, but you can also donwload the flashing instructions. In sumnmary, there is a stage where you have to hold the Power and Connect key for two seconds until two lights appear, then hard reset, cancel the update process, then re-start. All seems a bit magical, but I followed this and managed to update a second modem in a few minutes with no problems at all.

Good luck!

I have now flashed several using the link and method in the OP. The file in the link maybe an XP update utility. The crash at the mid point, is commonly caused when you try flashing the unit with a different OS. I only discovered the problem myself last night, when I tried it on a friends Vista box, although I have not had that problem on some vista machines which is a little odd.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the file source, you have directed people to is the same source as the one in the OP. Thanks for the additional instructions and info on the documentation. :)

Reminder:
If you are worried about damaging your unit don't attempt to flash it! There is always a risk when flashing a device, that it could cause an undesirable out come. It's your choice!

Addendum:

There is an error in the OP the number of mac addresses assignable is 8 not 4 as mentioned.

There is a stage where you have to hold the Power and Connect key for two seconds until two lights appear, then hard reset, cancel the update process, then re-start. (Thanks to Londonboy)

Factory reset:
If you need to reset your unit to the defaults, press and hold Wi-Fi/WPS buttons for 5 seconds. If you have successfully flashed the unit with the instructions above, the reset will reset the default passwords etc. not the firmware. There is no way at this point, to revert back to the original firmware.

Links/Downloads:
Flash Instructions English .pdf http://www.netvigatoreverywhere.com/download/Pocket_wifi_E5838_install_guide_eng.html
Flash Utility E583x http://www.netvigatoreverywhere.com/download/E5838_Pocket_wifi_eng.html
Site http://www.netvigatoreverywhere.com/ Switch for English top right.

Attention:
If your update fails try using WinXP, when you use the file linked in the OP!

Hope that helps.

smoke n mirrors
25-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Update (alternative FW)

There is a new (alternative) software update for the Huawei E5830 - E583x.

Hardware Version: WLC2GCPU
Software Version: 666.11.00.20.112sp05
Available from http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/ article and FW link http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/Huawei-E5-firmware-update

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5331/e583xswupdate.jpg

It now gives you access to the Web admin page @ http://192.168.1.1 :cool:

:)

The update reported errors but seems to be working OK for me! I haven't spent any time testing the functionality...my MAC filter info was retained in the update.

brightpoint.co.uk

"A firmware update is available for the Huawei E5, aka the iMo, also known as the E5830 / E5832.

The update is a self-contained executable that needs to be run on a Windows host, and is only intended for unlocked units. Compatibility with network-branded equipment is not guaranteed."Information only:
The unit I have done this on is a three.co.uk locked device! The device was running the firmware version 716.11.17.07.108SP02 from netvigatoreverywhere.com.

Original Version: 666.11.17.07.108SP02 No access to web admin.
Alternative Ver: 666.11.00.20.112sp05 Access to web admin but old version.
*netvigatoreverywhere: 716.11.17.07.108SP02 Access to web admin with a battery state indicator in browser and later version.

The netvigatoreverywhere web admin has a battery state indicator, plus it's a newer version. I will be going back to it, as there seems to be no advantage with the new alternative, apart from better graphic presentation. The Alternative may help some people, who have had the netvigator update fail at the mid point.

If you have an unlocked unit the alternative version is a nice solution, it will give you enhanced functionality even though it's an older version.

Three UK are supposed to be releasing a firmware update, that will allow mac filtering as well as access to web admin page. It is pending approval by three apparently.

E583x FAQ's http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/faq.do?method=searchProduct&directoryId=50&pId=3185

adlorenz
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Update (alternative FW)

Available from http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/ article and FW link http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/Huawei-E5-firmware-update

Quick and simple question - does that firmware allow to change APN profile settings via 192.168.1.1 web-admin panel? Say I want to swap SIM card in my router to use different network, hence I must change APN profile too - can I do it via web-admin panel or do I still need to use Windows-based software manager to do that?

Many thanks in advance,
Dawid Lorenz

welshpaul
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
does that firmware allow to change APN profile settings via 192.168.1.1 web-admin panel?

I have registered and waited 24 hours just to answer your question as nobody else has bothered to let you know...

I can confirm that you can change the APN profile via the 192.168.1.1 web-admin panel.

adlorenz
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I have registered and waited 24 hours just to answer your question as nobody else has bothered to let you know...

I can confirm that you can change the APN profile via the 192.168.1.1 web-admin panel.

Many thanks. I have figured that out by myself already, once I upgraded firmware in my device. Although I have to admit that changing APN profile via web-admin panel isn't that straightforward as you could think. :)

Thanks again for making the effort to register, wait 24hrs and reply to my question. Much appreciated!

nickb
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
[B][SIZE=6][COLOR=Red]Information only:
The unit I have done this on is a three.co.uk locked device! The device was running the firmware version 716.11.17.07.108SP02 from netvigatoreverywhere.com.

Did you update the device to the alternative brightpointuk.co.uk firmware from the netvigatoreverywhere.com firmware or from the original three.co.uk firmware? If you did the former, did you first follow the 2-button procedure described on the netvigatoreverywhere site or this isn't necessary?

[B][SIZE=6][COLOR=Red]
The netvigatoreverywhere web admin has a battery state indicator, plus it's a newer version. I will be going back to it, as there seems to be no advantage with the new alternative, apart from better graphic presentation.

Actually there *is* a big advantage with the new alternative, the fact that you can change APN through the web admin panel, as discussed on the later posts. For people who use multiple providers, that is an essential issue.

Although I have to admit that changing APN profile via web-admin panel isn't that straightforward as you could think. :)

Could you give a little more info about that? Is it tricky to change APN profile or just impossible? I'll be visiting another country for a short stay soon, and I would appreciate if you could tell me if it's possible to change or create APN profiles through the web-admin *without* a computer (I'll be using the iPhone and Windows Mobile browsers instead).

Thanks all in advance.

adlorenz
12-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Could you give a little more info about that? Is it tricky to change APN profile or just impossible? I'll be visiting another country for a short stay soon, and I would appreciate if you could tell me if it's possible to change or create APN profiles through the web-admin *without* a computer (I'll be using the iPhone and Windows Mobile browsers instead).

Yes, you can amend APN profiles without a computer - just connect to your E5830 via WiFi from any device, then go to 192.168.1.1 address in that device's browser, which will take you to web-admin panel, obviously.

Now, the tricky bit is that there's no straight "Create new APN profile" functionality, as you could expect. At first I was just about to surrender and just assume lack of such feature is somehow locked by 3UK-specific branding of the device. However, I have accidentally discovered the way of creating a new profile - and it works. :) Here's how:

1) Login to web-admin panel.
2) Go to Advanced Settings menu from left-hand side menu.
3) Click through Dial Up Settings -> Profile Settings.
4) You'll find a dropdown box with existing APN profiles listed (most likely just "3UK(D)" - D stands for Default profile), but no "Create new"-alike button anywhere, which is very misleading at first. Trick is that you need to change a value in "Profile Name" field, which is the only one enabled at first. This will enable all input boxes below, making it possible to enter new APN settings appropriate for network you want to use. Once you enter all APN profile settings in these boxes, just click "Save" button and that's it - new APN profile is now created!
5) To set new profile as Default, so it would be used as default mobile broadband connection, go back to previous screen and click on "Connection Settings" icon. On that screen select your new profile from dropdown box and then set "Connection" field to Auto. All done. :)

From that point, whenever I swap SIM cards in my MiFi, I just switch profiles by logging into web-admin panel, click through Advanced Settings -> Dial-up Settings -> Connection Settings and select a new default profile from that screen, and I'm done. Perhaps not the most convenient and easiest solutions ever, but works perfectly for me. :)

nickb
12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks a million for the prompt and very detailed reply adlorenz! Looks a little tricky but with your instructions I don't think I'll have any problem. :-)

Now I have to wait the reply of smoke'n'mirrors before I update to this alternate firmware. I got my Huawei (3 branded), unlocked from eBay with the firmware from netvigatoreverywhere.com so I'm not sure about the steps required to update to the brightpointuk.co.uk firmware.

Did you update yours from the 3-"original" firmware straight to the brightpointuk.co.uk one? If you did, could you tell me if you've updated straight away, or you first followed the procedure described on netvigatoreverywhere.com and on the 1st page here? I mean the one where you have to press the connect and power buttons first, wait for two red lights to appear and so on.

adlorenz
12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Did you update yours from the 3-"original" firmware straight to the brightpointuk.co.uk one? If you did, could you tell me if you've updated straight away, or you first followed the procedure described on netvigatoreverywhere.com and on the 1st page here? I mean the one where you have to press the connect and power buttons first, wait for two red lights to appear and so on.

Yep, I've updated straight from original firmware to brightpoint's and I haven't followed netvigator instructions, just plugged device and started update. After about 10 minutes it was done. Simple as that.

narkoman
14-03-2010, 08:52 AM

This feature work on original 3UK firmware only. Good point is that modem work in HSPA, but don't show You when.

I wait for firmware update from 3UK - options from software from first post and working light blue icon, that all I want ;-)

btw - updated device on Windows 7 x64 - only double-click and wait some time. No any problems.

adlorenz
14-03-2010, 11:46 PM
This feature work on original 3UK firmware only. Good point is that modem work in HSPA, but don't show You when.

I've noticed same thing, but I'm not bothered about that at all, really. My device is usually plugged into charged somewhere well away from my laptop or I simply keep it in my bag or pocket, so I don't see these lights much anyway. They do turn off by itself after few seconds too.

nickb
15-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Yep, I've updated straight from original firmware to brightpoint's and I haven't followed netvigator instructions, just plugged device and started update. After about 10 minutes it was done. Simple as that.

btw - updated device on Windows 7 x64 - only double-click and wait some time. No any problems.

Thanks a lot for the info. I've successfully updated to the brightpointuk.co.uk firmware and finally I can change APN from the web admin panel.

Much better with the original Huawei firmware than both the "3" and the "netvigatoreverywhere". Not only everything is unlocked now but also the lights scheme and patterns make more sense now. E.g., when you are on GPRS/EDGE the M-light is green (didn't do that on 3-firmware), ALL lights go off after a while (not like the netvigatoreverywhere where the M-light was always on or flashing) etc.

adlorenz
15-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Much better with the original Huawei firmware than both the "3" and the "netvigatoreverywhere". Not only everything is unlocked now but also the lights scheme and patterns make more sense now. E.g., when you are on GPRS/EDGE the M-light is green (didn't do that on 3-firmware), ALL lights go off after a while (not like the netvigatoreverywhere where the M-light was always on or flashing) etc.

"M" light is always green whenever you're get into GPRS/EDGE coverage, even with original firmware, but point is that 3UK don't have own 2G coverage, hence you've probably couldn't see this light ever go green with 3UK SIM card inside. :)

nickb
18-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Ah yes, it makes sense :)

amf14
23-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Very informative thread!

I used the ALTERNATIVE version on my unlocked E5830 as changing the APN is available via web access. I also tried the Original version and the netnavigatoranywhere version but they doesn't support APN changes via web (there's no "dial-up settings" option under "Advanced Settings").

Thanks a lot!!!

flextel
14-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Good luck!

Exactly the same problem, use the life-saving 2 button reset and so on re-running flasher program was able to see modem, but flash status was now blank. Despite this "breakthrough" the flash process failed everytime at about the same point with the same unhelpful message.

So in desperation I turned off my Virus scanner (Kaspersky Internet Protection version 8.0.0.454). Reset modem, restart flash program and bingo back in business with all the goodies as promised.

So I suggest you turn off your virus scanner & don't do anything else on your PC when waiting for the flash to finish.

What a complex web we weave!

snow999
17-07-2010, 06:37 AM
I Have E5830 since i change the sim from zain to viva the moden continue restarting some time every 1, 5 mintes or 1 hour i have tried all the firmware available but no use make reset several time any body facing the same problem .

thanks

smoke n mirrors
17-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I have no experience with either of the providers you mention. I haven't noticed any post mentioning your issue either I'm afraid.

I think the first option to explore, would a forum discusses or supporting the provider in question. If you know someone, with a sim from another provider you could test your unit with their sim.

Sorry I can't offer more useful advice.

zibri
19-07-2010, 03:36 PM
If you need to unlock the E5830 or the E585, visit http://www.zibri.org

Regards,
Zibri

snow999
19-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I have no experience with either of the providers you mention. I haven't noticed any post mentioning your issue either I'm afraid.

I think the first option to explore, would a forum discusses or supporting the provider in question. If you know someone, with a sim from another provider you could test your unit with their sim.

Sorry I can't offer more useful advice.

Thanks smoke n mirrors for your response the new sim i use now is for viva.bh they are using the latest HSPA network LTE speeds up to 21.1 Mbps very high speed and the most advanced technology in the middle east if i set the modem to gsm only it will work very smooth, in the past i was using zain its normal network but now most of the provider in my country upgrade to 21mbps network so expect more complant from e5830 owner unless the firmware update for this router .

lumalee
19-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I have unlocked my 5830 from 3UK and put my Orange simcard from my datadongle in the MiFi unit, but it wont connect at all, I get the green antenna icon, the blue W icon and the M is light blue and flashing, press and hold the "connect button" and the M light flashes green a few times then goes back to slow flash blue and my iPad connects vi WiFi but no net coverage, I am using orangeinternet as the APN. Anyone give me any pointers on how to get it running pls.
Regards
Lee

smoke n mirrors
19-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I have unlocked my 5830 from 3UK and put my Orange simcard from my datadongle in the MiFi unit, but it wont connect at all, I get the green antenna icon, the blue W icon and the M is light blue and flashing, press and hold the "connect button" and the M light flashes green a few times then goes back to slow flash blue and my iPad connects vi WiFi but no net coverage, I am using orangeinternet as the APN. Anyone give me any pointers on how to get it running pls.
Regards
Lee

Are you sure you're within the coverage area of the orange service?

This is quite a good resource for 3g service related info 3G Forum (http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/)

flickflack
20-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Regards
Lee

Have you ever got your SIM card working? It sounds like a faulty SIM card the way it won't connect. Otherwise you would have had constantly blue or green light, instead of these lights flashing.

vice552
22-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Update (alternative FW)

:)

The update reported errors but seems to be working OK for me! I haven't spent any time testing the functionality...my MAC filter info was retained in the update.

Information only:

Original Version: 666.11.17.07.108SP02 No access to web admin.
Alternative Ver: 666.11.00.20.112sp05 Access to web admin but old version.
*netvigatoreverywhere: 716.11.17.07.108SP02 Access to web admin with a battery state indicator in browser and later version.

The netvigatoreverywhere web admin has a battery state indicator, plus it's a newer version. I will be going back to it, as there seems to be no advantage with the new alternative, apart from better graphic presentation. The Alternative may help some people, who have had the netvigator update fail at the mid point.

If you have an unlocked unit the alternative version is a nice solution, it will give you enhanced functionality even though it's an older version.

Three UK are supposed to be releasing a firmware update, that will allow mac filtering as well as access to web admin page. It is pending approval by three apparently.

E583x FAQ's http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/faq.do?method=searchProduct&directoryId=50&pId=3185

Hello,

I've a big problem.
I've applied 716.11.17.07.108SP02 firmware on my E5830. But this firmware was not better and I has wanted to apply the previous firmware : 666.11.00.20.112sp05
The setup has failed and my E5830 is blocked.
Impossible to switch on, no led on, nothing...

Help me ! What can I do ?

Thanks !

smoke n mirrors
22-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Hello,

I've a big problem.
I've applied 716.11.17.07.108SP02 firmware on my E5830. But this firmware was not better and I has wanted to apply the previous firmware : 666.11.00.20.112sp05
The setup has failed and my E5830 is blocked.
Impossible to switch on, no led on, nothing...

Help me ! What can I do ?

Thanks !

You can try reading this post from this thread hopefully the answer is there. It will give you links at the foot of the post. It also explains OS issues and reset functions. If you read the previous post you will see comments from other users with reset issues etc. http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1058567675&postcount=10

You can also try removing the battery and sim, replace the battery and power on then replace the sim again.

Hope that helps,

vice552
22-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks !
It has worked with your link and the firmware E5838Update_716.11.17.10.111SP01.exe.
But no way to come back at the 666.11.00.20.112sp05 version ???

smoke n mirrors
22-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks !
It has worked with your link and the firmware E5838Update_716.11.17.10.111SP01.exe.
But no way to come back at the 666.11.00.20.112sp05 version ???

You can use either file linked to in this thread to flash the unit! So yes you can go back to 666.11.00.20.112sp05.

You can't flash back to the factory supplied original firmware - because it has never been released AFAIK.

vice552
22-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I've tried again and this time, it's ok !
I don't know what was going on the first time.

Thanks a lot !

smoke n mirrors
23-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Great glad you got there in the end. :)

rreeve
23-07-2010, 01:06 AM
I've had a dongle usb broadband on 02, T-Mobile, three and vodafone in the past and each one I got the package with the highest allowance and top speed.
All of them are total garbage and a complete waste of money unless you commute on public transport for about an hour each day and you need to work online. I can't think of any other situation when they would be useful.

smoke n mirrors
23-07-2010, 01:53 AM
One good thing is it's a dynamic IP which is sitting behind a NAT layer. :cool:
The other thing you can have 247 broadband for 30 days for 15 3gb.
BT want 11 for line rental alone!
You have a broadband connection when your over the hills and far away provided you get hooked in to a cell.
You can pretty much give 24/7 website support or manage hosting accounts, from anywhere.
You can offer remote desktop support as above.
Oh and of course you have VOIP while your out and about, no mobile phone charges.

With the unit being discussed here, you can have upto five units all sharing the connection, or you can just use it for a small and portable mobile wireless network.

The only downside is if you're a download junkie or you want to watch/listen to lots of streamed media.

I get my monies worth! Apart from the odd slow spell and a very occasional outage or being in an out of service area I have no complaints.

Screw BT, Virgin etc.

Telco cost is 15 PM all in :D

adlorenz
23-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I've had a dongle usb broadband on 02, T-Mobile, three and vodafone in the past and each one I got the package with the highest allowance and top speed.
All of them are total garbage and a complete waste of money unless you commute on public transport for about an hour each day and you need to work online. I can't think of any other situation when they would be useful.

Mobile broadband performance is generally *very* sensitive to network coverage and quality, as well as the number of subscribers (both broadband AND voice) around, concurrently using the same cell(s) as you are. All in all, there are way more factors having direct impact on performance than in average xDSL line - imho this is a major reason why people still perceive mobile broadband as "worse" than a cable.

Having optimal circumstances and all these "negative factors" reduced to minimum, MB performance is actually pretty good. I live near 3G base station well away from town centre and on many occasions MB over MiFi was working better in my house than my DSL line over crappy BT lines we have in our neighbourhood. However, when I jump on the train to work and try to use MB on my mobile phone, I'm continuously annoyed by patchy coverage and frequent slowdowns while on the move. Unless network operators fill in these gaps (which is rather unlikely), that is the unfortunate side-effect of using MB on the move.

lumalee
23-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Have you ever got your SIM card working? It sounds like a faulty SIM card the way it won't connect. Otherwise you would have had constantly blue or green light, instead of these lights flashing.

Yeah the simcard works fine in my data dongle, so I know the sim is working for sure. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Flashed mine yesterday with the new firmware, and now I still have the Orange problem, yellow/orange signal light, wifif is blue, connection is flashing green, battery is solid green, still wont connect, the real bad news is it now wont do anything with the original 3 simcard in it, I just get solid red signal light... am I the proud owner of a Huawei paper weight ?
Pls help if you can.

rreeve
23-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Mobile broadband performance is generally *very* sensitive to network coverage and quality, as well as the number of subscribers (both broadband AND voice) around, concurrently using the same cell(s) as you are. All in all, there are way more factors having direct impact on performance than in average xDSL line - imho this is a major reason why people still perceive mobile broadband as "worse" than a cable.

Having optimal circumstances and all these "negative factors" reduced to minimum, MB performance is actually pretty good. I live near 3G base station well away from town centre and on many occasions MB over MiFi was working better in my house than my DSL line over crappy BT lines we have in our neighbourhood. However, when I jump on the train to work and try to use MB on my mobile phone, I'm continuously annoyed by patchy coverage and frequent slowdowns while on the move. Unless network operators fill in these gaps (which is rather unlikely), that is the unfortunate side-effect of using MB on the move.

Fair enough! I'm not a techno head so I really dunno what most of what you said meant but it sounds like you know what your talking about so I won't argue. I know these mobile networks do have potential because you only have to look at the networks available in the far east to know how far this technology can go. I think if I remember correctly, in Japan their FREE public wifi has speeds of something like between 10MB - 15MB and that is fast, Much faster than people's wired connections in the UK. But then when you consider the wired connections in Japan can range from as high as 1GB to 100MB, they probably feel their wifi is also slow in comparison.

These networks do have serious potential but all of our providers in the UK are more interested in capping usage and making profits that putting us at the forefront of internet technology.

I use Virgin Media 50MB broadband which is fast but not as fast as you might think. I still occassionally get videos that buffer and the 50MB only really comes into play when your downloading TWO files at the same time. Virgin don't tell their customers this and this kinda sums up the whole problem with UK communications networks i,e it's too commercial. But then again with my little faith in government, I can't imagine they would do a much better job if communication became a public service because their just a giant corporation themselves who's only concern is money.

quasa
04-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread, I had no idea that the admin page was blocked, I thought my router was just silly. From the admin page I should be able to open the NAT, my questions are what does the NAT do, is it safe to open it and is a firmware update the only way to open it?

smoke n mirrors
04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread, I had no idea that the admin page was blocked, I thought my router was just silly. From the admin page I should be able to open the NAT, my questions are what does the NAT do, is it safe to open it and is a firmware update the only way to open it?

You can't control the Network Address Translation (NAT) layer, as it's controlled by the ISP and their APN/routing system. Here is some info on NAT COSCO NAT Article (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094831.shtml) . TMK Three.co.uk don't offer a publicy accessible gatway/AP which connects to the WAN, without passing through their NATS's systems. I'm not sure if other networks offer this service either.

EDIT: Added for clarity. There can be local and remote NAT's layers. NAT's isn't exclusive to the ISP/APN you can have a local internal NAT layer.

There are some companies that offer fixed ip addresses, for mobile broadband networks, which would allow you to connect remotely to devices such as IP video cameras or VNC servers etc.

You may find some useful information about this on the Dyndns website as NATs is a common issue, when trying to use their services via Mobile BB.
Links for Dyndns New Forum (http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/) and Old Forum (http://forum.dyndnscommunity.com/forum/)

NAT layers are both good and bad depending on what you're trying to achieve. For security they can be a good thing for VPN/VNC and other remote access systems. For Privacy they can be a good thing as resolving back to the source machine, is difficult without control of the infrastructure. It's a pain in the butt when you have no control of the process, because you can't gain access to your machine remotely.

On a regular router there will be options to control the NAT for Bidirectional services. One external IP in/out to the WAN can be used by multiple machines your local LAN. To access a machine on you local LAN from the WAN (working from home connecting to an office machine), you connect to the Routers IP (global IP), the router then runs through the NAT service to redirect you to the internal LAN IP (unique) target machine.

Edit: As an example if you had a mobile BB router in a site hut (office camera VNC server etc.) location, and you wanted to connect to it from home the network/ISP NAT would cause a issue when trying to resolve the office IP.

This firmware won't help with WAN NAT services - which makes control of local NAT services less useful.

I'm assuming you are trying to connect remotely from the WAN to your LAN in my response. If you're asking for some other reason, I apologise in advance for any confusion, I may have brought your situation.

Hope that actually makes some sense.

quasa
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for trying, but most of what you said made no sense whatsoever to me, the main reason I wanted to open the NAT was to speed up my Xbox Live connection, it says the NAT is moderate so I was hoping I could speed it up, I also have the VNC issue, I can't conect :(

Oh and I went ahead and did the update anyway, it worked but I still don't have access to the admin page???

smoke n mirrors
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for trying, but most of what you said made no sense whatsoever to me, the main reason I wanted to open the NAT was to speed up my Xbox Live connection, it says the NAT is moderate so I was hoping I could speed it up, I also have the VNC issue, I can't conect :(

Oh and I went ahead and did the update anyway, it worked but I still don't have access to the admin page???

You will need to get a better explanation, from the source that was talking about increased speed using NAT.

Without a fixed IP you can't VNC into your modem as the service runs through an ISP's NAT layer.

If you have followed the instruction then you should access the Admin web panel. Use your browser and visiting this address http://192.168.1.1
the admin password is admin.

Read post number ten in this thread I think it should have all the details.

Cheers,

quasa
05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
You will need to get a better explanation, from the source that was talking about increased speed using NAT.

Sorry, I didn't quite say that right, I meant that my router would be less strict about communucation with other routers thus making it faster to conect to the other routers, I think, I'm new to all this, it confuses me.
http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/62-my-nat-is-strict-or-moderate

Without a fixed IP you can't VNC into your modem as the service runs through an ISP's NAT layer.

So are there any guides to setting up a fixed IP or can you not set one up.

If you have followed the instruction then you should access the Admin web panel. Use your browser and visiting this address http://192.168.1.1

Thanks, I kept putting in 198.

smoke n mirrors
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't quite say that right, I meant that my router would be less strict about communucation with other routers thus making it faster to conect to the other routers, I think, I'm new to all this, it confuses me.

The link you provided is saying what I was originally trying highlight in my first response, to your question. All tough they are more concise. :o

Some mobile phone companies are offering Internet access via a 3G USB modem that talks to your mobile phone, you can use this to connect your Xbox to Xbox Live (via your PC), but it has been found that some setups like 3 Broadband give you a strict NAT, to date there is nothing you can do about this and this is because of the way the service is provided. 3G broadband providers usually allocate you a private IP Address and do the translation (NAT) to a public IP Address themselves outside of your control, leaving you with a strict NAT. So we do not recommend using this method at the moment.There is noway to avoid that I have tried all their access points and none gets round the NAT's issue. That doesn't mean that they don't have a service, which can provide you with a real public IP address as opposed to a private NAT's converted one.

So are there any guides to setting up a fixed IP or can you not set one up.You have no control over the isp's NAT so no there are no guides! There are companies that offer a solution to over come the problem. However I think it would be an expensive solution for gaming. Here is a link to a UK based company http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/mobile-broadband/3g-static-fixed-ip.htm I don't know anyone who has used their services.

Thanks, I kept putting in 198.It's an easy mistake to make glad you got it sorted. :)

Until IPv6 matures this situation isn't going to change any time soon because, there aren't enough available IP addresses to go round. With IPv6 there will be enough available numbers that every grain of sand could have a unique id. Which means each device will eventually have a unique identifier through it's IPv6 address. :eek::D

If you want to know more about IP addresses you can take a look here...http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_InternetProtocolIPIPv4IPngIPv6andIPRelatedProtoc ol.htm

This table of Private IP allocations was taken from that site...
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1730/ipaddresstableloopbackp.jpg

If you want to discover your external IP address use this tool http://checkip.dyndns.com/
You will probably see an IP beginning with 2xx.x.x.x depending on the ISP and AP you are connecting with. Then look at the table above and you will see that it falls within a class C private range (I'm not sure how comprehensive this table is). That means that your real public IP is created and translated by a NAT layer.

If you want to experiment, you can create a free account at Dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/) and setup a domain. Once you have done that, go to the Dyndns control panel and try to reroute the domains DNS to your reported public IP.

You won't be able to connect via that IP! :mad:

If you have access to another machine with a regular web connection try to redirect the DNS to that IP.

It should work if all the port and firewall settings etc. are correct.

You can try TightVNC (http://tightvnc.org/) to establish a connection. You need to setup a server and client or try listen mode, the instructions are pretty straight forward.

EDIT: If you try test the connection (server and host) on the same machine you will get an infinite cascade effect!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6423/dnsissexy.jpg
www.dnsissexy.com (http://www.dnsissexy.com/)

You can do all kinds of cool stuff with a Dyndns account. Unfortunately most 3g mobile network arrangements (NAT), stop you using features, where you would like to gain access into a machine, from the WWW/ public network. :mad: So hosting games, sharing files or VNC control on your local machine, isn't going to happen with most 3g BB connections.

Hope some of that was useful.

quasa
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
You have no control over the isp's NAT so no there are no guides! There are companies that offer a solution to over come the problem. However I think it would be an expensive solution for gaming. Here is a link to a UK based company http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/mobile-broadband/3g-static-fixed-ip.htm I don't know anyone who has used their services.

I won't be using there services either, I'm not really up for paying anything, but thanks for going to the trouble of hunting this down, it probably is an expensive solution for gaming.

If you want to discover your external IP address use this tool http://checkip.dyndns.com/
You will probably see an IP beginning with 2xx.x.x.x depending on the ISP and AP you are connecting with. Then look at the table above and you will see that it falls within a class C private range (I'm not sure how comprehensive this table is). That means that your real public IP is created and translated by a NAT layer.

I'm starting to understand this a bit now, and my external ip on my laptop seems to be 92.40.160.176, much different from what you said it would probably be :D

You've answered a lot of my questions, thanks :)

smoke n mirrors
06-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm starting to understand this a bit now, and my external ip on my laptop seems to be 92.40.160.176, much different from what you said it would probably be :D

You've answered a lot of my questions, thanks :)

The IP range will vary - I expect that the AP you are using is 3internet. :)
When I was writing the post, I was connecting through 3ireland.ie which would account for the my crazy assumption. :o

Anyway the main thing is you have a better understanding of the issue. :) Hopefully it will help you at some point in the future.

Happy gaming,

S&M

P.S I have upgraded to the NEW E585 Which has a better web admin that's accessible out of the box. Plus you can access the SD card over the air. :) I have no complaints so far and it's been on pretty much 24/7 for the past month.

adlorenz
06-08-2010, 11:20 PM
P.S I have upgraded to the NEW E585 Which has a better web admin that's accessible out of the box. Plus you can access the SD card over the air. :) I have no complaints so far and it's been on pretty much 24/7 for the past month.

Is battery life any better?

smoke n mirrors
07-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Is battery life any better?

I can't honestly say, my unit is seldom removed from the mains for long enough to notice. :D

ucoxlbs
13-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I recently upgraded my E5830, but when I try to access 192.168.1.1, and input username: admin, password: admin.

This message that appears "wrong username", please help me, what should I do.

Thanks.

adlorenz
27-08-2010, 02:35 PM

I am pondering over upgrade as well, however could you let me know whether you are able to set new APN profiles via web interface? It might not be straighforward, see my previous post for reference: http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1058711640&postcount=16

Thanks.

jte5830
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Hello:)!

1) USING MICROSD WIRELESSLY
Does anybody know how to activate/use the microsd memory card with Huawei E5830?
Sorry... I mean... using it as a wireless disk or similar accesing the microsd through wifi.

2) FIRMWARE UPGRADE VERSION WRONGLY SHOWN
I've just bought a e5830 (hardware revision WLC2GCPU) unlocked from 3 uk. It came with firmware 666.11.20.112sp05 already usable with web but trying to use the microsd wirelessly I've upgraded it to 716.11.17.07.108sp2...

Upgrade went fine... only that in diagnostics (mobile partner)
says that I have :eek::eek:666:eek::eek:.11.17.07.08sp instead of 716.xx.xx.xx.xxxx ... in other words... it has changed all version numbers after 666 ... but should say version 716 (the upgrade program showed the 666 version was to be updated to 716:confused:)

Is it important that 666 remains against 716 at the begining of the firmware version after upgrade???... :confused:

I've repeated the upgrade 2 or 3 times using windows 7-32bits, just in case first with the e5830 on and 2 more times off, pressing "on" and "3g" botons to start it in upgrade mode (yellow lights)... all with same results.

3) DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE HUAWEI FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD LINKS?
I've entered in ther web...
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downLoadDetail.do?
method=view&centerFlag=software&productId=3314&oneSelected=4&twoSelected=582&thirdSelected=3314&soft
wareName=

but even after selecting E5830, E583x, E5 Series... Doesn't show any download, not even manuals, etc. :confused::mad:
Please, Does anybody have download likns? (official ad unofficial) would be wellcome.:D

Thanks to all reading this.

zibri
19-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Almost any E5 model can be unlocked for cheap here: http://www.zibri.org

psycik
20-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Is 716.11.17.07.108 still the latest version or only version you can get?

Mine is reporting 716.11.251.02.113.sp01 Wondering if the version you guys are looking at is an downgrade or not?

keyhole
22-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Is 716.11.17.07.108 still the latest version or only version you can get?

Mine is reporting 716.11.251.02.113.sp01 Wondering if the version you guys are looking at is an downgrade or not?
Guys, I wonder if anyone could help me out a little bit with a few drops of wisdom.

I have a Huawei E5830, unlocked (SIM Lock status: unlocked). Questions:
1) Is it the same as E5838?
2) Can it be flashed with a E5838's firmware? One that's here: w**.netvigatoreverywhere.com/download/E5838Update_716.11.17.10.111SP01.exe
3) It's a branded device originally, will it continue working fine if I flash it with another branded firmware (see #2)?

I would be very much thankful for any help! :)

P.S. Some technical info from our good friend DC Unlocker
model - Huawei E5830/E583x

Found modem : E5830
Model : Huawei E5830/E583x
Firmware : 666.11.208.04.113sp03
Compile date / time : Sep 14 2010 19:19:03
Dashboard version : UTPS13.001.08.12.143_MAC15.001.06.06.143
Chipset : Qualcomm MSM7625A
SIM Lock status : unlocked

P.P.S. By the by, here (http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+E5+(E5830,+E5832,+E5838,+i-Mo)) it says that this version (716.11.17.07.108SP02) does NOT support APN changing via web interface. Anyone tried the latest 716.11.17.10.111SP01 and whether it supports APN changing via web interface?