PDA

View Full Version : Rapeseed Oil, Canola Oil - Poison

mark1963
01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
This stuff is so bad for humans yet it is being constantly touted as a health product due to it's content of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.

Here's the link.

Health Warning / CANOLA OIL (http://implants.clic.net/tony/Corner22/32.html).

Oh, and there is a strong correlation between it and mad cow disease, heart disease, ad infinitum.

mark1963
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Whenever you look at the labels on food and they say "vegetable oil" 99 times out of 100 it will be rapeseed oil - the reason being it is the cheapest oil.

I asked my local chip shop what oil they use and it is rapeseed oil - it's the cheapest and has no discernable flavour of it's own.

mark1963
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Can you clarify what you mean - of course omega 3 is healthy, but what about the erucic acid that is in it.

Which particular part is bullshit - what research have you done specifically?

Can you prove the researcher is paid by the margarine industry? To say you wouldn't be surprised is no proof at all.

If I follow the money I find a whole industry based on rapeseed/canola - what am I missing?

Your comments lack specifics - please clarify.

fuggles
01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
hi son

what do you think of rapeseed sprouts ?

look at the cress in a supermarket, it will be 90 per cent rapeseed, 10 per cent cress

fuggles
01-01-2010, 08:23 PM
i agree

it is in literally everything

for some strange reason I have seen it labelled as vegetable oil ??? wtf

mark1963
01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, I have noticed it in the cress sprouts as well.

Every piece of research I have seen on erucic acid shows it is very toxic to the human metabolism. The rapeseed oil now produced is low erucic acid, so there is a theoretical argument for that being acceptable.

The trouble is even small amounts, being an oil, hang around in the body and if you look at most products having vegetable (rapeseed) oil in their makeup means there is a massive cumulative effect.

This stuff is harming humans, probably much more than fluoride in your water.

I know it is being touted as good because of the Lorenzo's Oil, but, that is the exception, not the rule.

mark1963
01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Here is another link:

Canola Oil Report (http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/canola.htm)

erucic acid at any level has been proven to cause health problems, but, then the food industry says there is a safe level. I cannot find any evidence to say that at any level it is safe. I am talking about the original research.

fuggles
02-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I shall make my own mind up and completely avoid it.

Its a shame because I was reading about how good sprouts can be for you, and I got some ''cress'' sprouts. Cress sounds better than Rape I suppose.

sofa king
02-01-2010, 12:41 AM
having worked in the processed food industry at one time I can tell you about "vegetable oil"

veg oils are selected as commodity ingredients.

If it just says "vegetable oil" what you get is what was cheapest that day. SO a margarine could be canola and/or soya and/or safflower and/or olive and/or sunflower etc

zarah
02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Ive been using Rapeseed Oil for ages because I thought it was the best one to use.

So what's best then?

sofa king
02-01-2010, 12:44 AM
http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Canola+Oil+Warning+Hoax

Type: Urban Legend

Description:

This is a hoax. It warns its recipients not to buy any products containing Canola oil for several reasons.

First, it states that Canola oil is a genetically engineered plant developed in Canada from the Rapeseed Plant. It contains Rapeseed oil which is related to the spread of 'Mad Cow Disease'. But this is false because 'Mad Cow Disease'is caused by a virus-like form of protein called prions. The outbreaks of this disease in Europe and South America have been caused by the use of feed containing animal byproducts from BSE infected animals.

Second, it explains that Rapeseed oil was the source of the chemical warfare agent mustard gas'. This is still false because Mustard gas is Bis(2-chloroethyl)sulfide and is manufactured by chemical processes that have nothing to with the plant or oil.

Third, it links Canola oil to a fatal degenerative disease Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD). Still incorrect. Actually, it contains erucic acid which is used in oil preparation for the treatment of ALD.

Fourth, as an industrial oil, it emits cancer causing chemicals. This is partly true. However, scientific studies have shown that unrefined rapeseed oil, as well as refined canola oil, give off some mutagenic compounds that increase the risk of lung cancer. Studies have also evaluated Chinese rapeseed oil, not refined canola oil.

fuggles
02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
the best oil will be coconut oil

or olive oil

not heated though

coconut oil can be expensive though

mark1963
02-01-2010, 01:28 AM
http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Canola+Oil+Warning+Hoax

My stepdaughter died of mad cow disease or vCJD. The reason I say this is that I researched it alot during her illness. The prions are normal proteins that somehow have been malformed - they are not, I repeat not, any sort of virus like structure. This is complete misinformation.

Canola is heated to 400 degrees to get rid of that awful smell that rapeseed has. It is rancid and therefore cancer forming before you even unscrew the cap.

morjo
02-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Ive been using Rapeseed Oil for ages because I thought it was the best one to use.

So what's best then?

There are many good oils to use. Coconut oil and Olive oil are good to use while cooking food or add after. Hemp oil and Flaxseed oil are not to be used for cooking though, just add raw to food once cooked food or salads etc.
I'm not sure if Sunflower oil can be eaten raw though.

sofa king
02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
My stepdaughter died of mad cow disease or vCJD.

my condolences for your loss

ant777uk
06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Canola and rapeseed tend to be GM so definitely best avoided.

Most Soy is also GM.

As is cotton.

All of which may be packaged as Vegetable Oil. Even though they are not really vegetables...

So yeah stick to olive/sunflower.

And hemp is prob the best I reckon

boots
06-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Fourth, as an industrial oil, it emits cancer causing chemicals. This is partly true. However, scientific studies have shown that unrefined rapeseed oil, as well as refined canola oil, give off some mutagenic compounds that increase the risk of lung cancer. Studies have also evaluated Chinese rapeseed oil, not refined canola oil.

Canola is a genetic modification of the rapeseed plant. It will still contain the genetics of rapeseed.:rolleyes::mad:

I wouldn't use canola oil as there are no studies to show that it DOESN'T effect the genetic structure of our body.

icecoldmeltz
06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Is this the stuff yall' on about http://www.carotino.eu/uk/

mark1963
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Is this the stuff yall' on about http://www.carotino.eu/uk/

Yes, one of them - I've seen that on the shelves at my local supermarkets.

mark1963
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, I have just had it confirmed by Patak's who do the curry sauces and pastes that they use rapeseed oil for all of their products.

ex sheep
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I always had some doubt about rapeseed oil, so this is another thing off my list, soon there will be nothing left for us to eat or drink.

mark1963
11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
It's unbelievable isn't it.

They tell us it's good for us because most of us trust authority and they are poisining us.

I never trusted rapeseed after smelling it growing on the north side of the M25. Anything that smells of the sickly/sweet smell of death cannot be good for you.

ytch
25-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I know its an old thread,
but people, what is going on?

Around 10 years ago, rapeseed oil was considered unhealthy as can,
nobody would use it for anything, when I tasted it,
my body said "poison", there were warnings in the eco- community about it (amongst others), i just forgot about this stuff, why would anybody consume this stuff.

During the last one or two years i often thought "whats that taste?!"
while consuming well known products, when I checked the labels
it became clear that
not only the industry exchanged other oils with rapeseed oil in almost all
products,
no,
they heavily promoted it as healthy as can!
Is there something more sinister going on?

It takes about 10 seconds to find a lot of
studies relating rapeseed oil to health problems
on the internet...

I mean, I cant stand the taste anyways, so I try to avoid it wherever I can.

But does anybody have an idea, how to force the industry to reconsider this trend?

limitufo
25-01-2012, 09:34 PM
the reason canola oil is bad is because its processed with hexane.

psilocybin
26-01-2012, 03:20 AM

So what's best then?

The only oils you really can use which are healthy:

Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (not light or olive oil 100%). Use only in cold form for salads and never for cooking, it turns rancid quickly when heated.

Cold pressed unrefined organic coconut oil can be used for cooking.

Avoid rapeseed, canola and cottonseed oil. McDonalds use cottonseed oil for deep frying.

Google Udo Erazmus "Fats that heal and fats that kill".

nwo2012
26-01-2012, 08:24 AM
The only oils you really can use which are healthy:

Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (not light or olive oil 100%). Use only in cold form for salads and never for cooking, it turns rancid quickly when heated.

Cold pressed unrefined organic coconut oil can be used for cooking.

Avoid rapeseed, canola and cottonseed oil. McDonalds use cottonseed oil for deep frying.

Google Udo Erazmus "Fats that heal and fats that kill".

Yes and no. All the oils high in PUFAs are toxic. Flaxseed, hempseed, fish oil etc etc. All immuno-suppressive, including Udo's Snake-oil.

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Whenever you look at the labels on food and they say "vegetable oil" 99 times out of 100 it will be rapeseed oil - the reason being it is the cheapest oil.

It can also be palm oil.

^ Fail.

Mediterranean countries have been frying in it for millenia.

More propaganda from the canola industry...this one is bordering on a conspiracy, put out there by the big canola Agricorps and food multinationals.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil

People in Mediterranean countries who use olive oil as their main cooking oil have lower incidences of coronary problems, and long life expectancy.

And yes they fry with it.

Extra virgin olive oil prices are at an all time low at the moment, so its not expensive either if one knows where to get it. Its selling for $2.70 USD per litre bulk.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=olive-oil&months=60

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Some excerpts from the link above...

When heated, olive oil is the most stable fat, which means it stands up well to high frying temperatures. Its high smoke point (410F or 210C) is well above the ideal temperature for frying food (356F or 180C). The digestibility of olive oil is not affected when it is heated, even when it is re-used several times for frying.

The smoke point of oil varies with its quality. High quality extra virgin olive oils (with low free fatty acids) have a high smoke point. They are an excellent choice, but an expensive one. Mass produced, low quality olive oils have a much lower smoke point.

Dr. John Deane wrote the following excellent article about the smoke point of olive oil and various cooking considerations. This is the most comprehensive discussion of smoke point that we know of.

Smoke Point of Olive Oil by John Deane (updated 09/20/2007)

Oil which has oxidized because of exposure to air, heat and light will have a lower smoke point. Using oil repeatedly will also make it smoke sooner. When looking for the smoke point of an oil you should expect a range of values. The Olive Oil Source claims that extra virgin olive oil smokes from 400 to 365F, according to its free fatty acid content. But the macadamia nut folk say that olive oil smokes at the temperature of hot water out of the tap. When I suggested to the macadamia people that it seemed unlikely that olive oil smokes at temperature lower than boiling water and that maybe they were confusing centigrade with Fahrenheit they insisted they were right.

So who do you trust for the real smoke point? The industry group which is advertising and promoting the oil, a random website or a food chemistry text? Here is what some research yielded:

The International Olive Oil Council: 410F
Institute of Shortening and Edible Oils: 420F

Or why not get some olive oil off the shelf and heat it up in a saucepan with a frying thermometer. This is properly done in a lab with special lighting which shows the first hint of smoke. My stovetop experiment yielded 350F for a jug of discount store oil which had been sitting open in the garage for a few years and 380F for a premium fresh extra virgin oil.

Olive oil is fine for frying.

MYTHS ABOUT COOKING WITH OLIVE OIL

There are some myths that have recently circulated about olive oil that we are constantly answering via email and our newsletter. Following are the two most common.

Myth: Heating Olive Oil Will Make it Saturated or Trans-fatty.

One common myth is that heating olive oil will make it saturated or trans-fatty.

This is not true.

The large refinery-like factories that take unsaturated vegetable oil and turn it into margarine or vegetable lard do so by bubbling hydrogen gas through 250 to 400F (121 to 204C) hot vegetable oil in the presence of a metal catalyst, usually nickel or platinum. The process can take several hours. You cannot make a saturated product like margarine at home by heating olive oil or any other vegetable oil in a pan. We don't know where this weird notion has come from. For more details, see Olive Chemistry (http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/olive-chemistry).

Changing a cis-fat to a trans-fat does not occur on a home stove.

We don't know where this weird notion has come from.

I do know where it has probably come from ;)

psilocybin
26-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Olive oil under heat is unstable and turns rancid. You can even see and smell the difference on the frying pan.

I'll stick with proven and effective oil for cooking, coconut oil.
PS have you seen most Italians and Greeks? Quiet a lot are overweight and suffer heart disease.

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Olive oil under heat is unstable and turns rancid. You can even see and smell the difference on the frying pan.

Only if you burn it, if the heat is too high. :cool:

Same as most other oils.

PS have you seen most Italians and Greeks? Quiet a lot are overweight and suffer heart disease.

Thats quite a generalisation.

And the heart disease part is completely wrong.

The Mediterranean diet
Olive oil is a major component of the 'Mediterranean diet'. Research shows that people living in Mediterranean regions have reduced risk for certain chronic diseases and longer life expectancy, compared with other groups of people in the world. This is despite their high dietary fat intake, which usually makes up a large proportion of their total energy intake (more than 30 per cent).

A famous study carried out in the 1950s showed there were differences in the patterns of disease occurring among Mediterranean populations compared with those living in northern Europe and North America. This was thought to be related to diet. Over the next 30 years, investigators also found that the Mediterranean diet was associated with low rates of non communicable diseases, such as cardiovascular disease (CVD) and certain types of cancers, as well as increased life expectancy.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/olive_oil?open

Im not knocking coconut oil btw, but claiming olive oil under heat is unstable is just not true, unless it is burned.

blue2
26-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Obesity in Italians as with any other culture is down to refined Wheat that is most likely GM.

I've bought a high quality Olive oil from Troots online that comes from Sitia and is lowest Polyunsaturated oil i've come across at 7g per 100ml with Monounsaturated at 79g per 100ml. It's actually Krya from the Lantxanakis Estate in Sitia and is organic extra virgin cold pressed and worth every penny of the 13.

You now need to be very careful with Olive oil as Supermarket giants are greedy and oil coming through from Spain to Italy has often been changed from it's normal pure value with something added in. So now we have truly toxic olive oils too refined.The growers of the olives are having a difficult time because of this corruption.

curtaincat
26-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Olive Oil in australia ( made in oz) should be deff safe.

Apparently o/s they are marketing fake OO. Really sad.

Otherwise all OO should be totally safe in every way.

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 03:04 PM
You now need to be very careful with Olive oil as Supermarket giants are greedy and oil coming through from Spain to Italy has often been changed from it's normal pure value with something added in. So now we have truly toxic olive oils too refined.

Yes, and these oils have a lower smoke point.

Which is why some people may have gotten ideas that olive oil is unstable when heated, because they are experiencing doctored oil.

Some of it has been found to contain canola and even some nut oils.

Good quality olive oil can be fryed with many times.

Sure it breaks down a bit each time, and over time, but just like most other oils.

But it is not unstable, and far from rancid even after multiple uses.

It is about trusting the supplier.

And i dont trust big supermarkets and what they sell.

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Olive Oil in australia ( made in oz) should be deff safe.

Apparently o/s they are marketing fake OO. Really sad.

I saw on Today Tonight :o (yeah i know :D) ...but still...

that the olive oils are fake in oz too, alot of them in the supermarkets...from spain and italy, so they ship it here too not just o/s

curtaincat
26-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I saw on Today Tonight :o (yeah i know :D) ...but still...

that the olive oils are fake in oz too, alot of them in the supermarkets...from spain and italy, so they ship it here too not just o/s

Yep, I used to buy Bertolli from Italy, cos years ago i heard spanish OO was crap.
Then I got ProChef Australian OO e/v coldpressed. ( proudly aust owned, amazing how all aussie stuff is proudly owned.. could it be true? ) then , the latest one i got is called 'red island australia' EVOO cold pressed, 100% oz, or so they say. ( i just noticed it has even got that horrible fake pink ribbon breast cancer-scare-you-to-bits on it)... yikes

now, i just think everything is poison.

we dont stand a chance. :eek::mad:

oh fuck it, i will just eat wotever i wants. :p:D

ownoiz
26-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Whatcha doing still posting then , get ur butt to a McDonalds, you know they still open.

Get some of those artery clogging cottonseed oil fries. :D

j/k

al209
26-01-2012, 03:20 PM
heating small amounts of olive oil for short periods shouldnt be too much of a problem, but unless you specifically want an olive oil taste, refined coconut oil is the best oil for cooking. The poly fats in olive oil (7-12% dependent on source) are the ones damaged by heat, and despite what some say, they become marginally less harmful when denatured.

Id be more concerned with the total amount of Olive Oil your eating, rather than whether its cooked.

curtaincat
26-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Whatcha doing still posting then , get ur butt to a McDonalds, you know they still open.

Get some of those artery clogging cottonseed oil fries. :D

j/k

Lol, i had a KFC chicken piece, I wrapped it up in all the napkins, the amount of grease was unbelievable, i reckon they chuck more grease on it, even after it is fried!!!! No kidding! ( and people live on this stuff, unbelievable again!)

:eek::D

nwo2012
26-01-2012, 03:31 PM
It can also be palm oil.

^ Fail.

Mediterranean countries have been frying in it for millenia.

More propaganda from the canola industry...this one is bordering on a conspiracy, put out there by the big canola Agricorps and food multinationals.

People in Mediterranean countries who use olive oil as their main cooking oil have lower incidences of coronary problems, and long life expectancy.

And yes they fry with it.

Extra virgin olive oil prices are at an all time low at the moment, so its not expensive either if one knows where to get it. Its selling for $2.70 USD per litre bulk.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=olive-oil&months=60

Lower heart disease because they don't use excessive PUFAs like US, UK & Oz et al.

gthorp
26-01-2012, 04:08 PM
the best oil will be coconut oil

or olive oil

not heated though

coconut oil can be expensive though

+1 for the coconut oil recommendation. I absolutely love the stuff. You have to be sure and get the organic virgin kind though. Overall, I find it nice to cook with because:

A) It's a great source of saturated fat. There's no reason to be scared of sat fat, it's actually quite good for you.
B) It doesn't oxidize as easily as other oils, making it more heat-resistant.

If I am all out of coconut oil, then I roll with grassfed butter. Kerrygold makes some delicious grassfed butter.

al209
26-01-2012, 04:31 PM
You have to be sure and get the organic virgin kind though.
No you dont, the refined stuff is fine. Its several times cheaper, contains no potential allergens and doesnt make everything taste like coconut. Why so worried about it being raw if your gonna cook with it anyway?

hypnoticspectre
26-01-2012, 04:45 PM
does any1 know a good site to buy coconut oil? Supermarkets only sell the shampoo which im not sure Ill want to be cooking with:eek:

al209
26-01-2012, 04:47 PM
does any1 know a good site to buy coconut oil? Supermarkets only sell the shampoo which im not sure Ill want to be cooking with:eek:
Chinese / asian supermarkets are your best bet. Unless you want the dear stuff.

psilocybin
26-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep, I used to buy Bertolli from Italy, cos years ago i heard spanish OO was crap.
Then I got ProChef Australian OO e/v coldpressed. ( proudly aust owned, amazing how all aussie stuff is proudly owned.. could it be true? ) then , the latest one i got is called 'red island australia' EVOO cold pressed, 100% oz, or so they say. ( i just noticed it has even got that horrible fake pink ribbon breast cancer-scare-you-to-bits on it)... yikes

now, i just think everything is poison.

we dont stand a chance. :eek::mad:

I buy my extra virgin cold extracted olive oil from a supermarket, the one I switched to lately is from Greece, I think "Mervina" or something, I'll check the name later. Really can taste the fruity taste and it's very green.

Organic unrefined cold pressed coconut oil I buy from a health food shop is by "Melrose" and it's from Pacific Islands.

theabbot 7
26-08-2012, 09:22 PM
didnt know this