PDA

View Full Version : The Cottingley Fairies Photo 5 Real?

hagbard_celine
15-05-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN3DpHDKFMg

(I've left some comments; I'm "benthejrporter".:))

Frances announced that although the girls had indeed faked the first four photos, the fifth one was genuine:eek:. This astonished me; I assumed that the original deathbed confessions had been the end of the matter. Above you can see a clip from a TV programme in January 2009, The Antiques Roadshow, in which Frances’ daughter and granddaughter reveal Frances’ true statement; no doubt the editors overlooked it because this programme doesn’t normally discuss paranormal phenomena:D:p.

The fifth photo looks very different in style to the others and to her last breath Frances swore that it was genuine. I wonder why she’d do that if she and Elsie had really fabricated all of them. Another thing: Take a closer look at it. Just in front of the foreground being by the picture's right hand edge there is what looks to me like another entity:eek::eek::cool:. Only its head is visible because it is hidden by vegetation. I’m a bit ashamed of myself. I fell for the “Doug n’ Dave” hoax a few years ago and I should have learned my lesson by now.:o

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8741/cottingley5.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cottingley5.jpg)

I wonder how many other supposedly-debunked phenomena are actually still alive and well, but we've just not heard of them yet:confused:. They’ve been glossed over by propaganda and narrow-minded investigators with homespun explanations; and now we're just waiting to pick up the true story on unrelated, and therefore uncensored, programmes like The Antiques Roadshow.

biblegirl
15-05-2009, 11:26 AM
beautiful faces

the transparency of the fairies gives this photo more validity imo, def contrasts with the other photos...good catch on Antiques Roadshow of all places :D

size_of_light
15-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Good post hagbard, and an interesting segment there from Antiques Roadshow.

The 'genuine' fifth photo isn't terribly impressive though, is it?

It looks pretty one-dimensional and static even though it's different to the others.

Why would the old girl lie about one of the photos even on her deathbed?

Maybe the deception had such a guilt-ravaging effect on her entire life that she still couldn't give it all up and made the mistake of wanting to deceive the world one last time into loving her before she died.

Who knows? It's a very interesting case...just wish the fairy/fairies in the fifth 'legitimate' photo looked more 'real' to my eye.

margaretr
15-05-2009, 12:00 PM
In the last few weeks before her death my mother related a strange phenomenon to my brother. She was not on any mind altering drugs and had no symptoms of dementia.

This is what my brother told me -
she said that on several occasions in the near past she had been amused and entertained by a crowd of 'little people'. They were dressed in medical type uniforms like doctors and nurses. They danced and sang and cheered her up considerably.

ps - we are not Irish

biblegirl
15-05-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.realfairies.net/a-fairy-sighting-in-nevada.html

A Fairy Sighting in Nevada…
Written by admin on January 15, 2009 – 2:56 am -

A very nice woman named Teri recently contacted me with this interesting story–
While camping in the Wheeler Pass / Spring Mountain, Nevada area, Teri brought along an “enchanted” fairy pendant that she had purchased from Ebay. Teri believes that this pendant is truly an enchanted object. According to her story, she called the fairy, whose name is Arianna, while she was up at the camp site and the fairy responded by showing herself.

Is this a fairy come to visit?
The photo that was taken right after she summoned the fairy is definitely thought provoking. As you can see in the first photo (left, in the circled area), there is a small but very bright object clearly visible. According to Teri, there were no fires in the area and no flash was used when taking the photo.

Enlarged image
An enlargement of the photo (below, left) is even more intriguing. Even though it is blurry, you can definitely see what appears to be a small, luminous figure. This does not appear to be a moth or other insect because this object was emitting its own light and most insects don’t do that. One insect that does emit it’s own light is a firefly/lightening bug but they only emit light from their lower abdomen and are shaped like a beetle (see image below) which wouldn’t match the image above.

There were other photos taken during this camping trip that showed lots of orbs which you can see here if you are interested.
Again, these photos were taken without flash so it’s extremely unlikely that the fairy picture and the orbs are just dust particles (which would have been something to consider if a flash had been used).
Is this proof that a fairy appeared when summoned? It’s a very impressive photo taken under great conditions but it’s always hard to be 100% certain. What do you think???

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5682/fairyphoto1300x231.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fairyphoto1300x231.jpg)
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1033/enlargedfairy2.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enlargedfairy2.jpg)

hagbard_celine
18-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Good post hagbard, and an interesting segment there from Antiques Roadshow.

The 'genuine' fifth photo isn't terribly impressive though, is it?

It looks pretty one-dimensional and static even though it's different to the others.

Why would the old girl lie about one of the photos even on her deathbed?

Maybe the deception had such a guilt-ravaging effect on her entire life that she still couldn't give it all up and made the mistake of wanting to deceive the world one last time into loving her before she died.

Who knows? It's a very interesting case...just wish the fairy/fairies in the fifth 'legitimate' photo looked more 'real' to my eye.

Possibly, but Why would the girls have changed their stylein photo 5? If asked to guess I'd say that the girls did Photo 5 first, capturing a real fairy on film, the extra one I noticed. They were so overawed with their discovery that decided to enhance it with a bit of fake embellishment. They reshot the plate with a transparency of a single fairy figure, the central figure of photo 5; it does look very transparent to me and not as solid as the others. Also Elsie was a keen photographer and might well have learned a few special effects. They were only 16 and 10, too young to understand how psychical research works and that such embellishments would only their real achievement to scorn. :(

What interested me is that I saw another fairy face in the grass behind the central figure:confused:. You might not be able to see it on there unless you zoom in.

hagbard_celine
18-05-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.realfairies.net/a-fairy-sighting-in-nevada.html

This is more like what REAL fairy sightings tend to be like. Interesting. Thanks:)

leviathanstaar
19-05-2009, 04:22 AM
My grandmother is near the end and has Alzheimerz

A drug was given to her for hallucinating and erratic behaviour, and all of it has gone away except for the tiny little people.

The tiny little people will not go away, even during moments where she totally coherent.

merlincove
19-05-2009, 04:44 AM
i see all kindsa things, angels mostly, but i never see faerie folk, and i really want to - i have a friend who does.

One day while lying in a rarely visited circle in derbyshire i could see tiny specks of light in the air, kinda dancing and moving, they were tiny tiny, and the other people i was with saw them too - don't think they were faeries tho.

i really love this story, have done sinse i was a kid :D

dreamweaver
19-05-2009, 06:02 AM
i see all kindsa things, angels mostly, but i never see faerie folk, and i really want to - i have a friend who does.

One day while lying in a rarely visited circle in derbyshire i could see tiny specks of light in the air, kinda dancing and moving, they were tiny tiny, and the other people i was with saw them too - don't think they were faeries tho.

Last year I was at a festival where a friend found lots of liberty caps growing naturally. We ate some and later went to see Bill Bailey on stage (like you do). The tent where he was performing was overcrowded and we sat among the crowd hearing him on the speakers outside.

During this time the shrooms came up and I noticed that everyone in the crowd had really strange faces. I remarked to the girl who I was with, who'd also had some of the nice vegetation, that either the shrooms were up or the festival was full of really ugly people, with faces like Mr Punch (i.e. long pointy noses and chins). She giggled and said she was seeing the same.

Almost everybody had very "pixie" features, but in quite an ugly way rather than being cute, and I do wonder if this is where stories of "the little people" come from. After all, you nearly always see them depicted around toadstools/mushrooms (usually fly agaric rather than liberty caps though).

This doesn't explain what you saw on the stone circles at all, of course. But this conversation about little folk took me back to last year's experience.

merlincove
19-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Almost everybody had very "pixie" features, but in quite an ugly way rather than being cute, and I do wonder if this is where stories of "the little people" come from. After all, you nearly always see them depicted around toadstools/mushrooms (usually fly agaric rather than liberty caps though).

This doesn't explain what you saw on the stone circles at all, of course. But this conversation about little folk took me back to last year's experience.

Good point dreamweaver, blindingly good point :cool:

Your post reminds me of something we did very similar many years back at the reading festival, we were the nutters dancing to greg proops outside the comedy tent :rolleyes:

it is actualy quite inspiring how 'reality' can be switched with the simple application of mother nature :p

hagbard_celine
22-05-2009, 04:14 PM
My grandmother is near the end and has Alzheimerz

A drug was given to her for hallucinating and erratic behaviour, and all of it has gone away except for the tiny little people.

The tiny little people will not go away, even during moments where she totally coherent.

Very interesting, thanks. It's very significant if an "hallucination" endures after its supposed cause has worn off.

Hope your Gran feels better soon.:)

hagbard_celine
22-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Yeah, me too:). It must be nice to meet these beings. Did he try communicating to them?

hagbard_celine
22-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Last year I was at a festival where a friend found lots of liberty caps growing naturally. We ate some and later went to see Bill Bailey on stage (like you do). The tent where he was performing was overcrowded and we sat among the crowd hearing him on the speakers outside.

During this time the shrooms came up and I noticed that everyone in the crowd had really strange faces. I remarked to the girl who I was with, who'd also had some of the nice vegetation, that either the shrooms were up or the festival was full of really ugly people, with faces like Mr Punch (i.e. long pointy noses and chins). She giggled and said she was seeing the same.

Maybe there's a Faerie side to all of us; in our ancestry, and the shrooms helped you see it when it would normally be hidden.

hagbard_celine
22-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Good point dreamweaver, blindingly good point :cool:

Your post reminds me of something we did very similar many years back at the reading festival, we were the nutters dancing to greg proops outside the comedy tent :rolleyes:

it is actualy quite inspiring how 'reality' can be switched with the simple application of mother nature :p

In Rick Strassmen's book DMT- The Spirit Molecule, he asks if clowns are inspired by encounters with these entities. I didn't know this, but clowns with make-up and funny clothes date back to Roman times.

biblegirl
22-05-2009, 05:41 PM
In Rick Strassmen's book DMT- The Spirit Molecule, he asks if clowns are inspired by encounters with these entities. I didn't know this, but clowns with make-up and funny clothes date back to Roman times.

Tibetan Book of the Dead

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1545/tibetanbuddhismwheelofl.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tibetanbuddhismwheelofl.jpg)

hagbard_celine
22-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Tibetan Book of the Dead

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1545/tibetanbuddhismwheelofl.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tibetanbuddhismwheelofl.jpg)

OMG!:eek: They're identical to the clowns you see in a modern Western circus! Good find, BG!:cool::) Yeas, the origins of clowns is something worth investigating.

waitew
24-05-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm going to go with James Randi on photo 5.The girls tricked themselves on photo 5 by mistakenly exposing the plate twice.There does appear to be evidence of double exposure on photo 5.

merlincove
24-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, me too:). It must be nice to meet these beings. Did he try communicating to them?

i'm not sure, but i know that if i met one i would :D

chattanova
24-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey fellow members:) It seems like most of you haven't noticed the real fairy in the photos.
It's not about the paper-figures but the face that is visible through the grass.
cheers

http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/2/5/24/kennet/f_cottingley5m_a074ecc.jpg

edit: or is it that face it's being referred to ?

hagbard_celine
24-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey fellow members:) It seems like most of you haven't noticed the real fairy in the photos.
It's not about the paper-figures but the face that is visible through the grass.
cheers

http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/2/5/24/kennet/f_cottingley5m_a074ecc.jpg

edit: or is it that face it's being referred to ?

That's the one I meant!:cool::cool::)

Thanks for the enlargement.

hagbard_celine
24-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm going to go with James Randi on photo 5.The girls tricked themselves on photo 5 by mistakenly exposing the plate twice.There does appear to be evidence of double exposure on photo 5.

Where does Randi discuss Photo 5?:confused:

He never specifies it in the film nor in his JREF report as far as I can see.

alexc
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
In the last few weeks before her death my mother related a strange phenomenon to my brother. She was not on any mind altering drugs and had no symptoms of dementia.

This is what my brother told me -
she said that on several occasions in the near past she had been amused and entertained by a crowd of 'little people'. They were dressed in medical type uniforms like doctors and nurses. They danced and sang and cheered her up considerably.

ps - we are not Irish

I'm sorry she was being tormented by demons on her death bed. I can only pray they failed in their attempts to drag her soul to Hell.

rhydra
04-06-2009, 12:37 AM
A family friend and her husband were sitting on the side of a hill when this thing appeared. It was twilight and a light appeared next to them, it was like a gnome like thing. They both looked at each other and then scarpered, it was perhaps in the 30s. The place was frequented by druids thousands of years ago and has legends of faeries and other manifestations around a few neolithic burial sites. There is also a legend of something far more sinister which roams the hillsides around the area.

hagbard_celine
06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
A family friend and her husband were sitting on the side of a hill when this thing appeared. It was twilight and a light appeared next to them, it was like a gnome like thing. They both looked at each other and then scarpered, it was perhaps in the 30s. The place was frequented by druids thousands of years ago and has legends of faeries and other manifestations around a few neolithic burial sites. There is also a legend of something far more sinister which roams the hillsides around the area.

That's interesting:cool:. Can you say where it was?

nambo
07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Heres my story I posted on Paranormal phenomena.
http://paranormal.about.com/library/blstory_april08_22.htm

You will have to excuse the title the site decided to give my story.
They also cut out what I felt to be an expanation for the events, hense the fact I started asking the reader to compare with UFO abductions, but do not appear to say why.

Having looked into as much info as I can find for obvious reasons, I noticed many similarities between UFO abductions and the Fairy abductions and changlings of old. There seems to be a list of criteria that both groups fullfill to a certain extent to suffer such visitations, much of the criteria I myself fullfilled, the most important one in my case was being an unwanted and neglected, though quite beautifull and intelligent child.
My stepfather hated my presence, hense I was sent to bed in the late afternoon everyday after school, untill time to get up for school the next day.
Shortly after my visitation, the only one I ever had, I was given to the Childrens Society to be brought up in one of thier childrens homes.

Over the years, Ive come to the conclusion that the Fairy wanted something from me, or to do me some harm, but that the "Cobweb of Energy" was a good, as in Angelic entity, who remained in my room for the two weeks to ensure the Fairy never came back for me.

I had submitted this experience to a couple of writers of books of Fairy encounters, but I expect it was too vivid and unbeliveable for them when compared with the usual reported "Fairy" encounter.

drhemp
07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I remember the day it was on the news they said they faked the pics. I think I was quite young.

Fake pics they may be, but they are still wonderful pics.

biblegirl
08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
nambo that is such a great story, thanks for sharing :)

metacomet
08-07-2009, 05:48 AM
That is such an incredible picture...I don't really care if it's real or not.

It could be our minds finding the face of a fairy because we want to.

Or it could be a dimensional being (the fairy) poking it's head into our reality because the people involved were trying to fake a picture of them.

It's like the freak accident UFO pictures where someone is faking a UFO and all of a sudden an actual craft zips across the sky. Suddenly they realize they are being watched from the other side and it's like a prank has been pulled on them.

I wonder if fairies and UFO's and otherdimensional things really do know when we are looking for them or even faking their appearance.

What a neat idea.

disorder2k8
08-07-2009, 05:56 AM
its called cognition, you find faces in all things

I did it with images of clouds back along, I found lizards and faces and lots of other archetypes.. nobody else did

I can see some pixels and the arrangement happens to form a face

I dont think there is anything there, sorry to be a killjoy

I know lots of people want to find things in whatever they look at, its like belief, but belief is subjective to an individual, therefore some will see things and some wont. in the end you can believe whatever you want, it doesnt make it true

argumentum ad populum

hagbard_celine
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Heres my story I posted on Paranormal phenomena.
http://paranormal.about.com/library/blstory_april08_22.htm

You will have to excuse the title the site decided to give my story.
They also cut out what I felt to be an expanation for the events, hense the fact I started asking the reader to compare with UFO abductions, but do not appear to say why.

Having looked into as much info as I can find for obvious reasons, I noticed many similarities between UFO abductions and the Fairy abductions and changlings of old. There seems to be a list of criteria that both groups fullfill to a certain extent to suffer such visitations, much of the criteria I myself fullfilled, the most important one in my case was being an unwanted and neglected, though quite beautifull and intelligent child.
My stepfather hated my presence, hense I was sent to bed in the late afternoon everyday after school, untill time to get up for school the next day.
Shortly after my visitation, the only one I ever had, I was given to the Childrens Society to be brought up in one of thier childrens homes.

Over the years, Ive come to the conclusion that the Fairy wanted something from me, or to do me some harm, but that the "Cobweb of Energy" was a good, as in Angelic entity, who remained in my room for the two weeks to ensure the Fairy never came back for me.

I had submitted this experience to a couple of writers of books of Fairy encounters, but I expect it was too vivid and unbeliveable for them when compared with the usual reported "Fairy" encounter.

Thanks for sharing that, Nambo.:) I too think that the modern alien abduction is the very same thing as fairy abductions stories of old. The classic Extraterrestrial Hypothesis has had its day, in my view. Aliens are not flesh-and-blood creatures that fly across light-years of space from Sirius or Zeta Reticuli in nut-and-bolts flying saucers. They’re much more akin to ghosts, pixies and trolls etc. Not from “out there” as such, but from “another down here”.:confused: Then again, it seems they do sometimes take physical form like in the Roswell Incident. There’s more to be discovered.:cool:

You’re story reminds me a lot of Whitley Strieber’s. He encountered beings that resemble yours somewhat if I remember rightly from the book.

hagbard_celine
09-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I remember the day it was on the news they said they faked the pics. I think I was quite young.

Fake pics they may be, but they are still wonderful pics.

It was big news, Doc. I remember hearing that too and I thought. "Ah, another mystery solved". But it seems that that was not the end of the story.

I’m ashamed to admit that I fell for the Doug ‘n Dave Hoax too!:eek::o

hagbard_celine
09-07-2009, 10:02 AM
its called cognition, you find faces in all things

I did it with images of clouds back along, I found lizards and faces and lots of other archetypes.. nobody else did

I can see some pixels and the arrangement happens to form a face

I dont think there is anything there, sorry to be a killjoy

I know lots of people want to find things in whatever they look at, its like belief, but belief is subjective to an individual, therefore some will see things and some wont. in the end you can believe whatever you want, it doesnt make it true

argumentum ad populum

Maybe not, but when your belief leads you to do a proper investigation that generates evidence, that makes it true.:cool:

Fairies are something that many people do believe in purely on the basis of faith; "I sense they exist, so therefore they do". I'm not knocking intuition at all, but I would still back up my gut feeling with down-to-Earth research. There are many people who have done down-to-Earth research into Fairies and similar phenomena and found that there is a sound evidential basis for them.:eek: However this tends to lead to the notion that although Fairies exist they are not what we previously thought they were. They're there, but do not match their popular image of Tinkerbell and Oberon etc. They are far more akin to the ghosts and aliens etc, see my reply to Nambo.

disorder2k8
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
interesting :o

belladonna
09-07-2009, 12:19 PM

I am glad to see this post. I am just the same. See all kinds of things but upto now no Fairies, but know of people who see them frequently.
I wonder if fairies are a less dense dimension than say 'ghosts' or angels making it harder to tume into their frequency??

hagbard_celine
11-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I am glad to see this post. I am just the same. See all kinds of things but upto now no Fairies, but know of people who see them frequently.
I wonder if fairies are a less dense dimension than say 'ghosts' or angels making it harder to tume into their frequency??

Could be. I too have seen spectral figures and UFO's, but never anything that I'd identify as a fairy. Unless this was it: http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69663

When we speak of "The other worlds" it is the plural I think. In the same way that it's not just the Earth and "other planets" , it is not just this universe and all the others. We're neither separate nor special.

Have you ever read the Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman?

biblegirl
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I wonder if fairies and UFO's and otherdimensional things really do know when we are looking for them or even faking their appearance.

What a neat idea.

a little bit of bigfoot in here too, but interesting!

.... mentioned among Iroquois much more often than Bigfoot, are the "little people" who are said to inhabit the Adirondack Mountains...the Iroquois pass down stories of hunters who occasionally saw human like beings in the Adirondacks (which are not that far from the Catskills, where Rip Van Winkle was alleged to have met some little bowlers and slept for one hundred years). Some present-day Iroquois assert that the "little people" are still there, just not seen as often because the Iroquois don't spend as much time hunting up in the mountains as they used to. Many Iroquois seem to regard both Bigfoot and the "little people" as spiritual or interdimensional beings who can enter or leave our physical dimension as they please, and choose to whom they present themselves, always for a reason....The existence of Bigfoot is taken for granted throughout Native North America, and so are his powerful psychic abilities. I can't count the number of times that I have heard elder Indian people say that Bigfoot knows when humans are searching for him and that he chooses when and to whom to make an appearance, and that his psychic powers account for his ability to elude the white man's effort to capture him or hunt him down.

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science p84-85

size_of_light
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
a little bit of bigfoot in here too, but interesting!

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science p84-85

Good info biblegirl. Here in Australia the 'Yowie' is the exact equivalent of Bigfoot and the Aboriginals regarded them in an identical way: i.e. with the ability to move between dimensions.

I had to go to the State library and access microfiche to read some of the early Australian settler reports and newspaper articles from the 1850s about the 'Big Hairy Men' in full but they're genuine, so there's no question that two vastly isolated cultures were describing exactly the same thing.

waitew
15-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Where does Randi discuss Photo 5?:confused:

He never specifies it in the film nor in his JREF report as far as I can see.

Randi discusses photo 5 in his book 'Flim Flam'. At least he does in my 'American' edition page 27 where he says the girls fooled even,"themselves" by exposing the same plate twice. Which is why even on their death bed they believed it to be a genuine fairy photo.

truth finder
15-08-2009, 01:59 PM
these are the photos that got me into cryptozoology when i was in primary school, i know they are fake, but there is something there that i will always love.....

hagbard_celine
15-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Randi discusses photo 5 in his book 'Flim Flam'. At least he does in my 'American' edition page 27 where he says the girls fooled even,"themselves" by exposing the same plate twice. Which is why even on their death bed they believed it to be a genuine fairy photo.

Eh?:confused: They faked these photoes and then saw what they thought were real fairies in one of them?:D

I think that goes down alongside the Joyriding Icecream Van of Rendlesham Forest when it comes to the Absurd Skeptics' Explanation Hall of Fame.:rolleyes::p

hagbard_celine
15-08-2009, 06:30 PM
these are the photos that got me into cryptozoology when i was in primary school, i know they are fake, but there is something there that i will always love.....

They were an influence on me too. I never realized their was any doubt about their fraudulent nature actually, until I saw the above vid.

bobbydiva
17-08-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.theironskeptic.com/articles/fairy/Fairy_5.jpg

Better image.