PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Seeds aren't meant to be chewed.

dajlelion
08-01-2009, 11:52 AM
A lot of seeds are poisonous, but only if you chew them to release the toxins. If you just swallow them they will pass through your system and come out as waste.

That waste use to be exited outside into holes when we were more connected with nature. which then you kicked dirt over like a dog does, and then from your own shit the tree/plant grows!

It's natures way of spreading the seeds through our waste, but if the trust is broken and the seeds are chewed, you are punished with poison (aka cyanide in apple seeds).

I love how nature works!

boots
08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
A lot of seeds are poisonous, but only if you chew them to release the toxins. If you just swallow them they will pass through your system and come out as waste.

That waste use to be exited outside into holes when we were more connected with nature. which then you kicked dirt over like a dog does, and then from your own shit the tree/plant grows!

It's natures way of spreading the seeds through our waste, but if the trust is broken and the seeds are chewed, you are punished with poison (aka cyanide in apple seeds).

I love how nature works!

That's very true that seeds and especially apricot seeds contain cyanide but they have their uses too. For fighting cancer. I guess everything in moderation.

eternal_spirit
08-01-2009, 06:04 PM
:rolleyes:

I'm not buying it.

I wouldn't even like to try swallowing pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds, they're rather big. If you swallow whole, then would you absorb all the nutrients etc?

If what you're saying is true, this sucks because I've just started eating something called omega mix a bag of various seeds - poppy, hemp, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, lin seeds coated in soya sauce! Tastes delicious...

50 pence a bag from Morrisons ffs.

madthumbs
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Yep, go choke on a coconut. :rolleyes:

08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
The cyanide will kill you propaganda concerning apricot seeds is rubbish . There isn't enough to cause any harm .Unless i guess you had an allergy ? I ate 35-40 a day for several months , and know people who ate 50 a day regularly .The Hunza tribe of Pakistan eat lots of apricots and the seeds they have no incidents of cancer among the natural population .Scientists from around the globe study them regularly .They also dont eat processed crap like we do .Apple seeds when eaten in small amounts have the same effect , just dont eat more seeds than you could eat apples in a day , overloading your system with anything isn't good . :D

hordeari
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
absolute rubbish, you must chew seeds...

take for example ultra healthy seeds - flax ...its not even enough to chew it (very hard 'cause the seeds are very small..) you must grind it up! (then store it in the fridge..)

or sesame seeds, first treat thermally then chew it or grind little bi then eat ...so theory that chewing releases poison ....disinfo theories are poison

after all i buy organic seeds :D

revolutionary_jam
08-01-2009, 09:19 PM

I love how nature works!Can you post a source or sources?

I have hemp seeds I hear they are very good for your health, does this mean i shold swallow them whole rather than chew them?

unusual_suspect
08-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I have read on raw food sites that nuts and seeds need to be soaked for about 6 to 8 hrs to release the nutrients and enzymes. Otherwise they can irritate the digestive sytem.

As soon as they are soaked for a few hrs the germination process starts and they are then living foods and eating them will imbue you with the chi/prana or whatever you want to call it. This is highly beneficial in the same way that eating sprouted beans and lentils and chickpeas is.

psych641
09-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Ive recently watched Ray Mears 'wild food' series & read the accompanying book.. Theres a bit where hes chewing some tree flowers for the pleasant almond flavour they release, but warns not to overdo it as the taste is actually cyanide! (or some sort of cyanogenic compound) So i dont reckon its that dangerous.

*goes off to googles the LD50 of cyanide*

simmo
09-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Cyanide is one of the deadliest poisons known to man fyi.

herode
09-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Bad Info, you have to chew the seeds!

Please watch this...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnP9sU1KW4
(5 parts)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_4YkekV9A
(9 parts)

steevo
09-01-2009, 04:56 AM
I eat raspberries alot and I'm always chewing the seeds. I also have eaten the "almond" in the middle of peaches. They taste just like normal almonds. I later found out that they are SUPPOSEDLY poisenous. Not sure if it's true.

I eat sun flower seeds etc too.

dajlelion
09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't have any references, it just makes sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I personally never eat fruit seeds unless their really small. I do eat hemp/flax seed just fine. Nuts always give me problems (bloating), so I avoid them. I think it's mainly fruit seeds you have to watch out about, but who knows. Sorry I named this Warning, I didn't mean to promote fear.

boots
09-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't have any references, it just makes sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I personally never eat fruit seeds unless their really small. I do eat hemp/flax seed just fine. Nuts always give me problems (bloating), so I avoid them. I think it's mainly fruit seeds you have to watch out about, but who knows. Sorry I named this Warning, I didn't mean to promote fear.

Hey, that's alright dajlelion.

We are all here to learn. It's a matter of not over indulging in anything. When the bitterness of seeds really get's to your tongue then you know, that you might have eaten to much of a good thing.

revolutionary_jam
09-01-2009, 01:14 PM
all i know is that pea"nuts" are not nuts, and they are very bad for you...

astro zombie
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
aye tis true, they're legume seeds. peanut butter is soooo good tho *drools*