PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Lake and Mountain Stream Water?

endlessvista
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Where is live is a mountainous region in the East of Ireland and there rushing moountain streams and pristene lakes on top of mountains.

Why can't I put the water from these sources into plastic containers - filter it, boil it and then drink it as flouride free water?

ownoiz
03-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Sounds like a good idea if you know the water is not polluted or salty, but why use plastic though...plastic migrates into liquids...use glass or food grade stainless steel...

I havent drank flouridated and treated water for many years, i have a 170 metre deep artesian bore but the water has been lab tested to check mg/l of chemical compounds and e-coli, these are the things you possibly should check as you cant know for sure whats in the water supply you have located.

Just my 2c

endlessvista
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the tip about the plastic. But I there is not much else option in terms of cost, holding quantity, ease of transport etc.

Another thing. Why could I not make mountain and stream water into beer and hydrate myself with that?

gu3rr1lla
03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Where is live is a mountainous region in the East of Ireland and there rushing moountain streams and pristene lakes on top of mountains.

Why can't I put the water from these sources into plastic containers - filter it, boil it and then drink it as flouride free water?

If the water is running, it looks clean, and theres no farms or any other civilisation above it then most likely you could drink it without filtering/boiling. What I would do is go to the stream and drink a small amount. Wait a few hours. If you dont feel sick then go back and drink double the amount. Wait another few hours. If you still dont feel sick go back and drink more. If you feel ok then most likely its safe but to be safer you can filter/boil it.

Just out of curiousity, do you live near Crone or any other woodland in Wicklow?

badasscass
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
birds, deer and other animals freely poop where they please, including in streams. animals often die near streams.
drink it unsterilized if you want to. the water sources that are the most safest to drink are smaller than lakes or streams.

you CAN use plastic. from purely a survival standpoint its easier and lighter to carry than glass or steel.

i wouldn't store water in plastic for longer than 2 years tho. but if you want to keep a crushed down plastic bottle in your BoB then by all means do so. it has many uses.

endlessvista
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Just out of curiousity, do you live near Crone or any other woodland in Wicklow?

Yes.

the itinerant shrubber
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I've drank from mountain streams loads of times an never been ill. I've also drank from the run off from cliffs. If the water is fast flowing and has no foam,its safe. The only time I've cleaned water is when I've been on Dartmoor because of the risk of dead livestock,giardia etc.

jonas parker
05-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Look into this solar method for water purification:

http://www.sodis.ch/Text2002/T-TheMethod.htm

The Solar Water Disinfection (SODIS) process is a simple technology used to improve the microbiological quality of drinking water. SODIS uses solar radiation to destroy pathogenic microorganisms which cause water borne diseases.

SODIS is ideal to treat small quantities of water. Contaminated water is filled into transparent plastic bottles and exposed to full sunlight for six hours.

Sunlight is treating the contaminated water through two synergetic mechanisms: Radiation in the spectrum of UV-A (wavelength 320-400nm) and increased water temperature. If the water temperatures raises above 50C, the disinfection process is three times faster.

pdcdp
13-01-2009, 03:32 PM
you can get bottles and straws made by webtex which filter infected water as you drink it.

got a straw for 20, good for over 200 litres... bottles are about 45...

ozlo
16-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I think too much emphasis is placed on not drinking water from rivers etc. I always used to drink from streams when I was out and about as a kid and never had any bother. Although I may have a stronger stomach than most as I've eaten from street stalls crawling with flys in Africa etc and never had problems either. I heard before that a good rule of thumb is to walk upsteam a hundred metres or so and if there is no dead sheep etc then go back to the original spot and should be ok. Another thing is to try and drink from where it is bubbling over rocks as the water is high in oxygen there.

the norseman
16-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Never take a chance with drinking unconditioned water unless you are in dire straights.

If you are out in the field and you get Giardia, Cryptosporidium or any other nasty you will most likely die.

In an end of the world scenerio, you are likely to be tired and malnourished meaning you are immunosuppressed and far more likely to develop problems through drinking contaminated water.

Having severe diarhea and or vomitting in this scenerio means you are likely to die as you will have no real means to treat the problem, the rapidly ensuing dehydration will likely be worsened as you ingest more of the nasties through further drinking. You will not be able to feed yourself, you will not be able to defend yourself.

ALL water should be boiled for a full 5 minutes. Ideally then you will want to treat the water with UV or chlorine tablets (long term iodine tablets can mess with your thyroid).

A better scenerio in a fixed based situation is to have a Berkey water filter. If you are on the move look at the Katadyn pocket water filter. I have both and they are truely excellent and do exactly what they say.

Look this study up if you want some facts on the prevalence of water born contaminants:

"""Campylobacter spp., Giardia spp., Cryptosporidium spp., Noroviruses, and Indicator Organisms in Surface Water in Southwestern Finland, 2000-2001"""

To cut a long story short, 139 water sources of both rivers and lakes were analysed for 5 consecutive seasons between 2000 and 2001 for various enterpathogens and fecal indicators, this was done in Finland. Out of these 139, 57 contained a value of the above likely to infect humans. Do you want to play with those odds when sanitisation is quite simple if you are prepared?

I know of no study done in the UK but I would hazard a guess that the results are likely more severe due to the fact of greater and more compact agricultural output than Finland. In a post apocolyptic world, people are likely to leave the cities and head for the country - the UK is very population dense and there may be a lot of people competing for available resourses, many of these people will wash and defecate in the natural water systems. This of course adds to your problems and highlights why you NEED a water sanitation system and a backup.

Those who have not caught any nasties are likely just lucky - I for one will not take those risks and especially in a scenerio where medicine (yes not all medicine kills you) or treatment is likely not available.

The Norseman.

lyrag
18-01-2009, 07:29 PM
If the water is flowing, chances are it is safe, i mean if its obvious nothing is flowing into it. if i saw wild animals drinking out of it i would, but id prefer to be able to see the spring.
I will try and find it on youtube, but there are a few people who put videos up, mainly raw eaters who will only drink spring water and store it in huge glass cylinders and have felt much better since drinking it.
Its living water, its what we are suppose to drink. im not going to start preaching about raw food, but in my opinion, the chemicals kill the water, just like spraying and boiling vegetables kills most of the nutrients out of them.
Iv been thinking alot about this recently, the more healthier i eat the more i can taste chemicals in the water, especially chlorine and no im not just paranoid, because when im eating a cooked diet i cant taste it as well even though i know its there.
I was thinking about collecting rainwater, but then with all the chemtrails etc would it be safer than drinking tap water? i would think no, but there again, the wild animals are drinking it, and are healthier than us!! but alot of them also have working appendixes ....anyone?