PDA

View Full Version : buying woodland UK

glacidtek
22-07-2008, 05:26 PM
does anyone know where to start looking for woodland for sale in the UK - have done the google thing and theres not much on.

any advice appreciated,
mike.

ohforf
22-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Did you have a look at http://www.woodlands.co.uk/ ?

tom bombadil
22-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Hullo glacidtek

If one wants a woodland or forest you may wish to think of this;

What's it for?

Is it for recreational use? Or to invest? Or to move to in times of crisis? To use as a supply of wood for your stove? ect?

1) For Recreational use you could buy anywhere in the world. Bulgaria is cheap at the mo.

2) To invest in? The same applies.

3) To move into in times of crisis? Well you could be limited to that which is close to you.

4) The same for the supply user. There is no point in 'working' a forest or wood for the timber if you have to spend more money in transport getting to and from the place. You should weigh out the pro's and cons.

5) The other option is to buy a field and plant the trees of your choice. This could end up far the cheaper option as grants are available for chaps that do just that. But that is the slow option too, and your first yeild may not be for a few years. Less if you plant food too, or stuff like wheat and the like for thatch and the like. This last option is the one I am opting for. I think that I will end up with all the types of wood for the different jobs on the smallholding that I would need!

What do you want it for, may I ask?

Tom.

glacidtek
23-07-2008, 02:12 PM
cheers for the response....

ohforf:
yeah, thats the first place i looked - theres loads on there, but they'r far too big and way too expensive!

tom:
i'm realy looking for somewhere in the UK - to start off with at least..
the plan is to opt out of the rat-race and disconnect from the main frame... an experiment in self sufficiency

I'm idealy looking for less than an acre, and spending a few thousand pounds - there doesnt seem to be much going for this size and price.... if anyone knows of any land/woodland going then please let me know.... or if you have an idea of where i can search.

cheers,

mike.

tom bombadil
23-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I dont want to tell you stuff I am only a little sure on, but the idea that you keep trying is relivent here. What ever help others give you, I will add that you need to keep at it. If you are told that an area is relivant to you, then up and at it. :D

Let me say that 1 acre is fine if you had a house attached and it has been already 'worked' as a useable forest/wood. But you will be shocked at how small a 1 acre site realy is. Let me clarify.

First go back to that site as it is more in depth :o

Still...read on. A wood or the like, if you are to use it as a place to get timber from (even a small bit of firewood) has to be treated like any crop.

From the start, if you have a field and want to plant trees for any reason, you will have to plan. For instance if you wanted to have it purley as a 'crop' then you can plant them very close and have more trees for your plot. The trees will be tall as they fight for light and the trunks wil tend to be straight and smooth. 5ft between trunks can be achived, you do the maths on the total. However, you will not be able to amble through them an a summers night with your other half without falling over roots and off-shoots and stabing your eyes for the first few years. How romantic. Also, if you had a quad or small tractor or even a small horse (don't dismiss this option), then even getting to the timber and getting it out will be hard. PLANNING. :cool:

When you 'grow' trees for wood, it is best to not chop the lot down, but to take cuttings. You can take from the bottom. Or you can take from the top. When you next take a walk in the woods, take a look at the trees. If the ground is so over-grown that you have to stick to a tiny path, then it is most probably a neglected wood, and the owner isnt fussed or only takes once a year from particular spots. If it has no undergroth then it has been cleared, and is loved. But take a good look at that tree that has fallen. Notice how there are new shoots growing straight up from the roots, or from the dead-looking, horizontal trunk. This is what will happen when you cut a tree and leave the roots in. New growth.

So; if you cut for timber at the base then shoots will pop up from the base (well duh! :p ) and if you cut from the crown then.......!

Why cut at the base or from the top (well 6 or so ft up) ?

Base if you ar lazy :D and 6ft up if you keep pigs or goats.

Let me talk pigs for a while. Get one if you can. Buy a book on it. They will help you a ton. Some examples bellow.

1) The used to be called the gentleman of the farm. It gives all and takes little.
2) It will plough the land for you, getting it ready for planting.
3) you can feed it on the stuff that you dont want.
4) Shhh.... Meat.
5) It sh!ts pure gold with its waste. If you give it a root, it will turn it to gold in a day :)

So if you let it into your wood, it would clear the ground in no time, and leave poo in the bargin and then then you eat it...(not the poo, but the pig) not as simple as that but you get the point. However, if you cut your timber 6ft or more up then you wont have porky scoffing the new shoots.

Just a small example of going green. One thing leads to another.

Or you buy a wood that has been worked and is already set up for you, or you buy a neglected wood that needs a few years loving before it even looks like you think it should.

How you get it to your way of life can vary.

Tom

glacidtek
24-07-2008, 12:58 PM
cheers for your advice tom....

I'm not too sure that the wood would be used for timber - its just an idylic settling for what i'm looking to achieve.
the only real plan to use the 'wood' would be to make charcoal, use the land to grow fruit and vedge and perhaps keep some chickens... for eggs only (i'm vegie)

I'm not an expert on any of this stuff and it is going to be an experiment in self sufficiency - all that would be taken from the land is material for shelter and fresh grown food.... aswell as learning to mange the environment.

although land is relatively cheep here (compaired to say buying a house in a city), it is still damn expensive.... havnt seen much avaialable that suits my budget.

thanks for your advice - its all appreciated.
mike.

chris
24-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I was thinking about this also...I was thinking about a group of people chipping in to get some land to practice for survival/base purposes.

marpat
24-07-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.woods4sale.co.uk/buying.htm

mightiswrong
24-07-2008, 11:32 PM
you could look into auctions.

diamond dogs
25-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I have e-mailed one of the managers of a site regarding posibilities of self sufficency and the planning and covenant issues. I would be looking to build something on the lines of straw/peat huts or similar...If anyone else is interested then we could ascertain an area and price to negotiate if this is feasible..........

tom bombadil
25-07-2008, 02:17 PM
You're welcome glacidtek. I do like my diet but I do respect your own, but for the sake of maybe yourself and others that dont eat meat but might be happy to 'use' animals. Antother thing to look into would be that if you are thinking of 'going native' then you do (should still) have to concider livestock. They are great tools. And they will poop on your land making it more and more fertile.

For example, a horse to pull and carry. A goat to pull and carry and/or give milk. You could keep a cow or two to provide beef if you did not mind (in the form of a boy) or another Daisy for someone to buy and use as you have, all the time providing milk for butter and cheese ect. Chickens for eggs and feathers (they do die after all and waste-not-want-not). Pigs as before.

There are loads of other 'exports' that can run around your plot at the minimum of expence to you. You might concider emus or deer.

I hope you get the point, that asuming you are only using your plot for yourself, you can, with a little practice, create something that you may find a boon to you, in money and spirit. with only a small dent in your pocket.

You could show your chickens if you want. And the eggs!!

You said you ''would want a section for home produce'' (my words) well you might concider that slugs can be kept at bay with a duck or two, or frogs. A pond.

One thing leads to another. And there is a reason that we did it for so long. Its cos it works :)

Have fun. Remember also that you can do drystone walling or hedging.

You could bring in more cash by teaching others.

And that leads me to you chris. If you have a good bussines plan and could convince the bank (boo hiss) to set up a bussines, or just save up. Then you could do your project and get some cash back in return.

lastly, but not leastly; diamond dogs and chris and others. From what I know and have read on the subject, is that the idea of 'going it alone' in self suficiancy is problematic. We all need some one to fall back on. be it for suport or to exchange goods, we need to have a bigger picture of what lay ahead. For example, a flood could wipe you out, and I mean a river bursting its banks, not Noah. Or drought. Or what-ever. Having another strong link in the chain is important.

Even a lonley painter on the moor will want to sell their pictures.

Tom.

theteamstar
08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi there I would be very interested in buying a wood in Devon/Cornwall some where (as I live down here). My plan would be to go down the self suf route. I would even be happy to move into it for a bit and tend it if others are inrested (My job is good you see so I can move around alot.)

Let me know if you intersted and we can try to get a plan I order. I will be doing this at some point within the nxt year or so. So come join me if you like as it has been said above it's the more peolpe the better (max of around 5 or 6 main players and there family and stuff.) coz things do go wrong and a helping hand is always good.

themime
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Anyone ever looked into the feasibility of building a bunker/ fallout shelter?

simplify
12-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi there I would be very interested in buying a wood in Devon/Cornwall some where (as I live down here). My plan would be to go down the self suf route. I would even be happy to move into it for a bit and tend it if others are inrested (My job is good you see so I can move around alot.)

Let me know if you intersted and we can try to get a plan I order. I will be doing this at some point within the nxt year or so. So come join me if you like as it has been said above it's the more peolpe the better (max of around 5 or 6 main players and there family and stuff.) coz things do go wrong and a helping hand is always good.

I agree, there is strength in numbers. The day of the individual" is over. To survive now we have to come together in small communities & help each other out. Because each person has something different to offer. Sort of like an extended family, all working towards the same goal....survival, peace & happiness. Put the ego away & work from the heart! Success will be yours.