PDA

View Full Version : Problem with our neighbours

huxley2013
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
ME and my gf live in a duplex flat which is basically a terraced house split into 2, we have the bottom half. Another couple probably in their 40's live in the top half.

We noticed something strange about them when we first moved in, our bedroom window comes outward so we can see forward and left and right, to the right is the front door to their house.

We couldn't afford curtains or blinds when we first moved in and we noticed that they would look in at us, but in an odd fashion, it was asif they thought they had the right to look at us. They would do this everyday after work as they were waiting to go in through their front door and also we think they are swingers because when we first moved in the man started up a conversation with me, I said I did web design at college and he said his mate made loads of money selling sex toys online.

Now I worked this out straight away, he was testing the water basically and since then we see different men going in on a weekend and she is always dressed up with loads of makeup on.

But anyway, they also started saying things to us when we moved in of how the landlord was a copper and they only have to tell him something and he sorts it out for them, like there was apparently a band that used to practice down the street and were loud and this copper sorted it out for them. Also an incident where their dog killed another dog but their dog was on the leach and another time when people who lived in our flat before were smoking weed and they got chucked out.

Now they have already said to our landlord that they can smell weed, I don't smoke it but it did get smoked once. But even so it wasn't much and clearly they are just looking for excuses.

Now yesterday I questioned her on this and asked her if she was trying to get us chucked out.

They are really gone as far as brainwashed, and are the perfect watchful citizens from orwell's 1984 if I was going to try describe them. They seem to take on a vigilante attitude and this is how they are with everyone because I heard them boasting to the new neighbour at the other side of how their/our landlord is a copper and he did this and that for them.

So yesterday we had a massive argument and I lost it a little bit because my temper is quite bad at the minute and on top of this I can see straight through them and it really riled me.

So I had my music on pretty low really and he started stamping on the floor above us, so I turned it up full blast because the way he stamped on the floor was very aggressive. Then he comes down stairs with his wife and we start arguing and the reason that they are like they are comes out.

He says "We pay for your housing anyway"

So I shout at him and loose the plot telling him how most of the tax pays for the interest on the loans given to the government and how they should be aware that their tax money also pays for bombs that kills innocent people in Libya and all these other countries.

So then it just fizzles out and I'm really wound up because I feel like from the start they have had it in for us and now they have got exactly what they wanted. They have targeted us and they are clearly uphappy with their shitty factory jobs so they choose to take it out on us because we live in close proximity and when they get home they probably make up stories in their heads that we have been laying around all day doing fuck all.

I also mentioned to them that my gf is at college and I did 4 years at university so to shut their mouths.

So I even told the landlord I wana move out now because they aren't guna stop and I don't want it to escalate anymore.

Feel free to offer your opinion on this and ask any questions. I'm still very annoyed and couldn't sleep last night, feel like they have intruded on us and it's so fucked up how they pre-judged us right from the start. How do you deal with people that are so fucked up like this.

Ok rant over

reallife
05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
ME and my gf live in a duplex flat which is basically a terraced house split into 2, we have the bottom half. Another couple probably in their 40's live in the top half.

We noticed something strange about them when we first moved in, our bedroom window comes outward so we can see forward and left and right, to the right is the front door to their house.

We couldn't afford curtains or blinds when we first moved in and we noticed that they would look in at us, but in an odd fashion, it was asif they thought they had the right to look at us. They would do this everyday after work as they were waiting to go in through their front door and also we think they are swingers because when we first moved in the man started up a conversation with me, I said I did web design at college and he said his mate made loads of money selling sex toys online.

Now I worked this out straight away, he was testing the water basically and since then we see different men going in on a weekend and she is always dressed up with loads of makeup on.

But anyway, they also started saying things to us when we moved in of how the landlord was a copper and they only have to tell him something and he sorts it out for them, like there was apparently a band that used to practice down the street and were loud and this copper sorted it out for them. Also an incident where their dog killed another dog but their dog was on the leach and another time when people who lived in our flat before were smoking weed and they got chucked out.

Now they have already said to our landlord that they can smell weed, I don't smoke it but it did get smoked once. But even so it wasn't much and clearly they are just looking for excuses.

Now yesterday I questioned her on this and asked her if she was trying to get us chucked out.

They are really gone as far as brainwashed, and are the perfect watchful citizens from orwell's 1984 if I was going to try describe them. They seem to take on a vigilante attitude and this is how they are with everyone because I heard them boasting to the new neighbour at the other side of how their/our landlord is a copper and he did this and that for them.

So yesterday we had a massive argument and I lost it a little bit because my temper is quite bad at the minute and on top of this I can see straight through them and it really riled me.

So I had my music on pretty low really and he started stamping on the floor above us, so I turned it up full blast because the way he stamped on the floor was very aggressive. Then he comes down stairs with his wife and we start arguing and the reason that they are like they are comes out.

So I shout at him and loose the plot telling him how most of the tax pays for the interest on the loans given to the government and how they should be aware that their tax money also pays for bombs that kills innocent people in Libya and all these other countries.

So then it just fizzles out and I'm really wound up because I feel like from the start they have had it in for us and now they have got exactly what they wanted. They have targeted us and they are clearly uphappy with their shitty factory jobs so they choose to take it out on us because we live in close proximity and when they get home they probably make up stories in their heads that we have been laying around all day doing fuck all.

I also mentioned to them that my gf is at college and I did 4 years at university so to shut their mouths.

So I even told the landlord I wana move out now because they aren't guna stop and I don't want it to escalate anymore.

Feel free to offer your opinion on this and ask any questions. I'm still very annoyed and couldn't sleep last night, feel like they have intruded on us and it's so fucked up how they pre-judged us right from the start. How do you deal with people that are so fucked up like this.

Ok rant over

Sounds like you didnt play ball from the begining with him telling you about the sex toys n stuff. I would start looking for somewhere else he probably wants the downstairs flat for himself for what ever dodgy stuff is going on upstairs. You are better off out of it. It isnt worth the charge sheet if you see what I mean.

huxley2013
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you didnt play ball from the begining with him telling you about the sex toys n stuff. I would start looking for somewhere else he probably wants the downstairs flat for himself for what ever dodgy stuff is going on upstairs. You are better off out of it. It isnt worth the charge sheet if you see what I mean.

Yeh I've already given notice to landlord and started looking for new place to live

decode reality
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Keep a log of any incidents and if you know any of your neighbours, ask them if they've encountered problems from them.

With your music, don't fight fire with fire. If they get a sound meter and it registers your music being too loud, they can get you on an anti social behaviour order - sad but true.

I know you meant well showing them the bigger picture but when people are in a certain mindstate, it's in one ear out of the other. Just stick to the issue of you and your partner wishing to feel safe.

mrunhappy
05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the fantastic housing stock of the UK. Splitting a SMALL house into two with just partition walls and no real sound proofing and calling each a maisonette or flat and charging for each what the whole house would have cost just a few years ago - it's just so Shitish, sorry British.

In your situation, essentially you live with surrogate parents. Them up, you down. I bet you can hear each other talk, sneeze, fart, and fuck.

Find somewhere better.

huxley2013
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Keep a log of any incidents and if you know any of your neighbours, ask them if they've encountered problems from them.

With your music, don't fight fire with fire. If they get a sound meter and it registers your music being too loud, they can get you on an anti social behaviour order - sad but true.

I know you meant well showing them the bigger picture but when people are in a certain mindstate, it's in one ear out of the other. Just stick to the issue of you and your partner wishing to feel safe.

Good advice thanks... These are some deeply unconscious people. I don't think I've met 2 people who were so far from any type of self reflection of some kind.

But any way, I just need to keep my cool as I'm doing this detox which seems to have made me get angry really easy... And find somewhere else better for us away from this kind of abuse.

They clearly had a profile for us before they even knew us, I can't believe the degree to which these people are swallowed the poison from the newspapers and media. It's concerning.

machine
05-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Ok rant over

Inform him his copper landlord is not his private police service and if he uses him this way you will complain about him(I.e the copper) at a higher level.

syxx
05-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Bad neighbours can ruin your health -I know, been there. One of the worst places I have lived had two of them. The one downstairs was a hysterical pensioner with mental health problems who was adamant that her problems were going to be everyone elses. My days were a nightmare. Every time I walked across the floor, every time I flushed the toilet, every time my cats jumped down from the settee, every time I did anything that caused the slightest noise, she kicked off with slamming doors, loud complaining phone calls to the landlord or EH. Eventually, the warden stopped coming round to see her; those Friday visits were sessions in hysterical sobbing about how horrible I was and how I was making her life such a misery; the warden could not take it anymore. This neighbour was so intimidating and controlling, it got so I dreaded to cross the room to go to the toilet, and walking from room to room was an exercise in stealth and tip toeing.

The other neighbour across the landing was at it all night. He did not want to smoke in his own flat, so chose to do it on the landing outside his entry door, which was about a metre and a half from mine. My bedroom was just beyond that, and from the time when he returned home from work (when he had a job), until about 4 or 5 in the morning, every twenty minutes it was open, slam, open, slam, open, slam. I sought to get this stopped when the no smoking in public areas legislation came into effect, but he side-stepped that neatly by standing on the door threshold to smoke, rather than standing on the actual landing. Open, slam, open, slam, open, slam, every twenty minutes.

I endured the woman neighbour four years and the male neighbour five and a half years. In the end, it was my health that suffered, not eating and not sleeping and feeling under constant strain, I decided the best thing to do was move. It was expensive to do so, places were hard to find, and all of the rentals available were poor substitutes for housing, as is typical in British housing stock. No soundproofing, rooms too small/cramped/awkwardly arranged, damp, no cavity walls for insulation, the street mere meter from the front door, and so on.

I rented another place that I quite liked. The day I moved in the boiler broke down; it was beyond repair, so the repair man said; the landlord insisted he could not afford to replace it, despite it being his legal obligation to do so. It was October and bitterly cold, not possible to live without heat or hot water, so I sought another place to live.

I currently live in a building that is almost derelict. It has a fair amount of damp; no insulation; poor electric heat; tiny, awkwardly arranged rooms and my landlord is a bank who doesn't give a fig for anything beyond the balance sheet. But because the building is in such a bad state of repair and the flats in such an antiquated state, there are few tenants who choose to live here. This means that I have no neighbors above, below or to either side of me....... absolute bliss.

I will gladly cope with cold, damp and marginal squalor for peace and quiet and a good night's sleep any day.

It's August, huxley, still time to find a rental before the season changes and options become thin. Go, go go !!! :)

mrunhappy
05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
I rent a terrace house now that I love. It's expensive, takes half of my take home pay, but I value my space. If I want to walk around naked I can. My landlady is nice. She's ok with pets, and I am left alone.

I have had so many experiences. My first ever home of my own - a studio flat - was by the seaside where I grew up. I could walk from the flat and onto the beach. When foggy the lighthouse opposite would shine through the dark curtains and blind me. I resented the poor old guy that lived above me because he seemed so heavy footed. Stomp stomp stomp.. now I just realise he was old, and somewhat portly.. and I shouldn't have been so annoyed with him, especially since I would sometimes play my music loud. Just like today, these were not real flats, like the council would build, rather an old guest house i.e. a normal house with no sound insulation/damping.

I have been in house shares, allowed myself to be badly bullied in one of them... and lived with a beautiful woman I should have married in her home for 8 years...

It's important to have peace at home. Unfortunately, since houses have become a dominant economy in the UK, fueled by funny fractional reserve money, and greed.. that peace is now difficult (too expensive) to find for many.

Some people own too many properties. Either side of me, both terraced properties have been empty for years. Obviously the owners don't need the money.

bridgetshaw
05-08-2013, 12:27 PM
hi huxley, im having the same issues, only my neighbours are polish. Also, the houses to the left and right of me, they are from nigeria, and actually, they are really nice, but the few house oppisite ? Omg they are a nightmare, knocking on my door late at night drunk, ALL of the time, and generally being intimidating.so i called the police, and they were really nice actually, they said, you cant live like that, and we will come and put a stop to that right away...and so i heard them tell them, they are no longer allowed to knock on my door, and it will be classed as an offence as it has been logged etc and harrassment. They have gone very quite...thank god, but you have the legal right to live in peace without been caused alarm and distress. I would say, be fair, and also try to live peacefully, as it is a flat, so you will have to appreciate that the walls are thin....and i would say, that stamping on the floor is causing alarm and distress, dont you ?

whiterabbit33
05-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Pity you can't talk to the people who lived in your flat before you, or any past neighbours of this couple.

ufochick
05-08-2013, 07:00 PM

I think you are making a lot of assumptions. If you don't have drapes up and they were looking it's not that big a deal. So she sells sex toys? That does not make them swingers neither does wearing makeup.

What did she say? If week weed smell was coming in they should have asked you about it. Did you apologize? Just tell them if it happens again to check with you, it could be coming from somewhere else.

So it's not you it's just how they are.

Ok rant over

When we live in close quarters with others it can be hard. Hold your ground and be kind is my theory. There are always going to be people around that we don't care for that's just the world. If we act in such a way that it sets an example for others then we are doing some good in the world.

The next place could have much worse neighbors. Ya never know.

master x
05-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Neighbors suck. Next door ones son used to smoke. No, I don't mean the occasional puff, I mean literally all the time in his room. Yeah, no biggie right? Except it just flooded into our bedrooms ALL NGIHT, EVERY NIGHT. Like a fucking fog. Year after year. The mother played music and TV all the time (music the same tracks over and over) ridiculously loud all day, usually until AFTER 4AM. Usually she'd get up in the AM to "get a snack" which usually involved her burning something slathered in lard, which resulted in even more smoke and stench. There was no safe place, couldn't sleep in my room, couldn't get peace downstairs, couldn't open windows/doors without more smoke coming in. They eventually moved, but thanks to them I have sleeping patterns so fucked up I don't think I'll ever shake them. Yeah, these sound like simple things, but I don't think she EVER slept. She'd also sometimes smash into her son's room at AM hours and shout fucking loud about him playing his TV too loud and waking the neighbors, usually he didn't even have his on and WAS CLEARLY ASLEEP,ironically hers downstairs was still on and her shouting louder than you'd want to hear. They moved many years ago now though.

tildatod
05-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I think the time has come to find a better place OP. Sounds horrific, and psychologically and physically torturous. Sorry. :)

Ian2day
05-08-2013, 08:06 PM
I have neighbours below me who hang out of their front windows to smoke. There is now a massive pile of fag buts on the grass that they have not made any attempt to clean up. There must be thousands of the bloody things.

If that wasn't bad enough when they hang out of the front windows their friends turn up and start chatting to them and having a fag too. This goes on all hours of the day. If I leave my windows open I get nothing but smoke and their endless chatting coming in.

marlowe
05-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I used to have a downstairs neighbour who was in his 60s retired and lived on his own and drank vodka all day with the tv on, he would switch his tv on at 11am when he got up and it would go off at about 4am the next morning when he went to bed, it was a nightmare because I worked from home. I had to write him a note to ask him to lower the volume, he did but even then it was always there muttering in the background, and he would fall asleep pissed in the armchair in front of it. Then he started falling over, I'd hear this almighty crash and go down outside to see what happened and the landlord had to come out in the middle of the night because he couldn't get up and the door was locked. Once the door was open and I went in to help him up and the place reeked of booze and when I got hold of him he was soaking wet and he said 'Oh, I've pissed meself' :rolleyes: Then the final time he bashed his head falling and there was blood on the floor, we had to call an ambulance and his daughter at 2am, thankfully he's now moved into a supervised place with alarms to alert people if he falls over.

Just out of curiosity....when the sun is shining, does your neighbour wear those silly 'short' trousers that come down to the shin, with big pockets and buckles and straps on them?

marlowe
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Jesus...another time I went to stay with a friend in Newmarket, or rather at a flat in a house that he owned and let, he owned two houses next to each other and let them out as flats, and he had another property somewhere else in the town. I stayed there for ten days because I was researching something in a Cambridge library. Anyway, I'd been to Newmarket years before and it was a smart place with some character, and I had seen his properties a couple of years before I went to stay there, when he first had them. They were nice town houses overlooking a little green, one of them used to be his father's.

But when I went back there to stay, the place had turned to shit. I mean, most of the town. It was full of chavs who would cruise down the main street with the car windows open in the evenings with their THUMP THUMP THUMP music belting out, en route to one of the tacky meat-market nightclubs called things like 'Pacino's' and 'De Niro's'. At weekends scores of thugs from the surrounding fen villages would swarm to the town. And there were tons of immigrants who loitered about all day drinking or shouting in their languages, wearing baseball caps, jeans or tracksuit trousers. All the families had moved out of the street where the houses were and they were all divided into flats, and had been let out wholly to immigrants and 'native' unemployed people, drug addicts etc. The landlords just didn't seem to care who they put in them, including my 'friend' (he wasn't my friend for much longer after this), who never asked for references or questioned the legality of obvious illegals (they asked him when they moved in not to let anyone know they were there).

Upstairs there was this obese, grizzled unemployed man in his 50s who walked around the house with just his Y fronts on and went to the toilet with the bathroom door open, he would come in at 3am and start watching fucking soaps that he'd recorded, the moron. Downstairs was this young girl with a baby who was quite nice, but she had a terrible hard-faced chav sister who would come round every few days with her children, and would sit there in the kitchen chain-smoking and bitching about things incessantly with her hard, hateful voice grinding away through the wall. Once I passed he on the stairs and said 'Hello' and she just scowled at me. The other house my 'friend' owned was occupied by an emaciated junkie in a tracksuit, and by the unemployed ex-husband of the landlord's wife :confused:. Then the next house was full of Poles who shouted at each other most of the day. The whole street had been turned into a slum in the space of three years.

When we arrived at the flat we went in and the place was a total squalid mess, what he hadn't told me was that the previous tenant had done a runner a few days before and left all his mess as it was when he lived there, we had to pick up loads of soiled tissues and porn mags and fast-food litter and put it all in bin bags :rolleyes: Fucking rank. The door had been kicked in a week or so before by a drug dealer who wanted his money (the tenant hadn't been in at the time). I was disgusted at the way the whole place had been allowed to decline, the houses and the street. All the houses were owned by slum landlords like my friend, he was a clean, professional, friendly, courteous fella personally, but to see what had happened to Newmarket shocked me, because it had been so pleasant just a few years before. These people obviously didn't care as long as they got their money. This is what the society has become, full of decadence and greed and apathy.

I sat there looking out of the big window one day and every single person who went by for an hour was wearing a tracksuit and baseball cap, most were unemployed immigrants, one day crappy 'r&b' music belted out at full blast from an open window a couple of houses down on a Saturday afternoon, the idiots were just ambling by outside in their baseball caps as if nothing was happening, apart from the stress of the fucking racket there was the astonishment that I seemed to be the only one who minded it, I mean this was full volume, the window frames were actually throbbing in and out. That night I heard primitive drunken bawling and yelling and thuggish chanting and rhythmic clapping from tanked-up hooligans in the town til 3am, if someone had been out there they would no doubt have been beaten up just for being there. I had just gone to sleep when the fat moron upstairs came in and fucking Coronation Street came down through the ceiling, when I finally did drop off there was drilling and hammering in the next house at 8am, I freaked out and went out and walked around the town, nearly crying with frustration.

What a fucking shithole. I never saw my 'friend' again after that, in my eyes he's revealed himself as a twat. Whole towns have had this happen to them because of uncaring and greedy landlords.

frizzjuice
05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
This should solve most of your problems:

http://www.empowernetwork.com/byron_elijah/files/2012/04/flame-thrower3.jpg

jockylittle
05-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Bad neighbours can ruin your health -I know, been there. One of the worst places I have lived had two of them. The one downstairs was a hysterical pensioner with mental health problems who was adamant that her problems were going to be everyone elses. My days were a nightmare. Every time I walked across the floor, every time I flushed the toilet, every time my cats jumped down from the settee, every time I did anything that caused the slightest noise, she kicked off with slamming doors, loud complaining phone calls to the landlord or EH. Eventually, the warden stopped coming round to see her; those Friday visits were sessions in hysterical sobbing about how horrible I was and how I was making her life such a misery; the warden could not take it anymore. This neighbour was so intimidating and controlling, it got so I dreaded to cross the room to go to the toilet, and walking from room to room was an exercise in stealth and tip toeing.

The other neighbour across the landing was at it all night. He did not want to smoke in his own flat, so chose to do it on the landing outside his entry door, which was about a metre and a half from mine. My bedroom was just beyond that, and from the time when he returned home from work (when he had a job), until about 4 or 5 in the morning, every twenty minutes it was open, slam, open, slam, open, slam. I sought to get this stopped when the no smoking in public areas legislation came into effect, but he side-stepped that neatly by standing on the door threshold to smoke, rather than standing on the actual landing. Open, slam, open, slam, open, slam, every twenty minutes.

I endured the woman neighbour four years and the male neighbour five and a half years. In the end, it was my health that suffered, not eating and not sleeping and feeling under constant strain, I decided the best thing to do was move. It was expensive to do so, places were hard to find, and all of the rentals available were poor substitutes for housing, as is typical in British housing stock. No soundproofing, rooms too small/cramped/awkwardly arranged, damp, no cavity walls for insulation, the street mere meter from the front door, and so on.

I rented another place that I quite liked. The day I moved in the boiler broke down; it was beyond repair, so the repair man said; the landlord insisted he could not afford to replace it, despite it being his legal obligation to do so. It was October and bitterly cold, not possible to live without heat or hot water, so I sought another place to live.

I currently live in a building that is almost derelict. It has a fair amount of damp; no insulation; poor electric heat; tiny, awkwardly arranged rooms and my landlord is a bank who doesn't give a fig for anything beyond the balance sheet. But because the building is in such a bad state of repair and the flats in such an antiquated state, there are few tenants who choose to live here. This means that I have no neighbors above, below or to either side of me....... absolute bliss.

I will gladly cope with cold, damp and marginal squalor for peace and quiet and a good night's sleep any day.

It's August, huxley, still time to find a rental before the season changes and options become thin. Go, go go !!! :)

Wow!

What a horrible situation you've endured :(

To the OP, my advice is this: move; do it fast if you value your health (and sanity) because I too have been where you are and it drove me to the point of killing myself just to get some peace from it all. In all honesty, having bad neighbours has got to be one of the worst things in life and I should know, I've had my fair share over the years.

I wish you luck,
John.

marlowe
05-08-2013, 11:03 PM
I too have been where you are and it drove me to the point of killing myself just to get some peace from it all.

Did you write this message through a medium? :D

jockylittle
05-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Did you write this message through a medium? :D

I'm not sure I follow :o

Wishing you well though; very much enjoyed reading what you wrote.

John.

marlowe
05-08-2013, 11:40 PM
You wrote that you killed yourself, I think you meant to write 'almost drove me to the point...', sorry, I didn't mean to make light of it but the typo was irresistible. :)

huxley2013
06-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all your words and advise.

I have spoken to my landlord and he wants us to stay, he seems to like us and when we mentioned a few things about the neighbours we got the impression that he knew what they are like.

mrunhappy
06-08-2013, 11:36 AM

I have spoken to my landlord and he wants us to stay, he seems to like us and when we mentioned a few things about the neighbours we got the impression that he knew what they are like.

How will you find harmony though?

reallife
06-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Pity you can't talk to the people who lived in your flat before you, or any past neighbours of this couple.

That would be a brilliant idea! A company that gets references from the last tenants!! How many of us would use a service like that?

belial
06-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I've had major issues with neighbours in the past - similar to the stories I've been reading on this thread.

I've been on other forums in the past and sought advice at the C.A.B. too.

The amount of times I've heard the keyboard-warrior advice on forums of 'Just move' or 'Find somewhere else to live' is becoming tedious now. Easier said than done and also a case of why should we move when they are causing the problem? Also, it's a bit selfish when you consider someone else will move into your property and have the same problem.

There's that saying 'Out of the frying pan, into the fire'. You could go through the hard work of finding somewhere to live and then find you are living next to a worse set of neighbours. I've been there myself with that one.

Council won't do shit - especially if it's a private tenancy next door to you. The Police need to be called out several times before they will do anything.

With the last of dickheads living next door to us we learnt to have 24-hour CCTV installed (at our expense) and made a written log of all incidents.

huxley2013
06-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I've had major issues with neighbours in the past - similar to the stories I've been reading on this thread.

The amount of times I've heard the keyboard-warrior advice on forums of 'Just move' or 'Find somewhere else to live' is becoming tedious now. Easier said than done and also a case of why should we move when they are causing the problem? Also, it's a bit selfish when you consider someone else will move into your property and have the same problem.

There's that saying 'Out of the frying pan, into the fire'. You could go through the hard work of finding somewhere to live and then find you are living next to a worse set of neighbours. I've been there myself with that one.

Council won't do shit - especially if it's a private tenancy next door to you. The Police need to be called out several times before they will do anything.

With the last of dickheads living next door to us we learnt to have 24-hour CCTV installed (at our expense) and made a written log of all incidents.

We will be ok if we can just avoid them. Keep them away from our business.

They are looking for things to complain about and latch on to. The reason for this according to Eckhart Tolle is that it is an ego strengthening thing. You make someone else wrong in order to make yourself feel right. And it's true, times when you feel low in yourself are the times that you complain and bitch about others.

But, they are guna be letting this whole affair swim round in their heads for a long time and they are guna be looking for excuses and ways to complain. I even think that they would probably ring the benefit people are try say we are doing fraud or something like that.

Their whole tone of voice is also very sanctimonious. When I questioned her about stuff she replies in a tone of like she is sick of it and like she is just being reasonable and is the victim of it all... Extremely unconscious she is... Totally blinded by her desire to inflate her ego in the only ways she knows how

fratoue
06-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Haven't really had issues with tenants but with fellow housemates. Some are right dicks, lived with one lad who was a bi-polar who had delusions but was very bright and manipulative. One of the other tenants was a student Dr and he was able to manipulate the shit out of her. He use to hide her jewellery for days only to have her fretting and then a week or so later 'out of the blue' he would find it and return it to her. She would be so relieved she would cook for him!. She always felt sorry for him as she thought he was vunerable but I seen him for the manipulative shit he was.

My bedroom was the one adjacent the kitchen and for a period of several months he would be in the kitchen til 5/6am talking to himself in grandiose terms as if he were the messiah and being able to move mountains with his mind, every conversation with him was irritating as shit as he wanted to know EVERY detail of everything including how many people exactly were there, what they were wearing, who I spoke to what was said, how it was said etc. This would lead to incredibly tiring boring conversations that went around in rings for ages and eventually lead to an argument as I personally thought he was doing it to rile people up as he was very selective of who he'd say it to.

Did live beside a drug dealer when I lived in inner City Dublin but had no problems with them at all we kept to ourselfs and said hello when we met in the morning or at night, I wasn't going to start any with them either as they had connections!

belial
06-08-2013, 01:45 PM

They are looking for things to complain about and latch on to. The reason for this according to Eckhart Tolle is that it is an ego strengthening thing. You make someone else wrong in order to make yourself feel right. And it's true, times when you feel low in yourself are the times that you complain and bitch about others.

But, they are guna be letting this whole affair swim round in their heads for a long time and they are guna be looking for excuses and ways to complain. I even think that they would probably ring the benefit people are try say we are doing fraud or something like that.

Their whole tone of voice is also very sanctimonious. When I questioned her about stuff she replies in a tone of like she is sick of it and like she is just being reasonable and is the victim of it all... Extremely unconscious she is... Totally blinded by her desire to inflate her ego in the only ways she knows how

Sometimes, it's a battle of mental games/strength.

We had a neighbour once who was booming his music every weekend from Friday night till Sunday. Called the Pigs (sorry, Police) and they copped-out and said ''Can't you just sort it out between yourselves?''. Well, we did, several times... and this neighbour threatened to kill me if I didn't shut up. Told the Police, and they didn't want to know so told them to politely sod off and reminded them my council tax pays your wages, go and catch some real criminals, no wonder people hate the Police, blah, blah just to piss them off too. :)

Thing is, this arrogant prick of a neighbour knew how to play the game of coming across well dressed and making a point of saying hello and engaging in small-talk with other neighbours in the morning and in the evening when he did rarely go to work. So the other neighbours/sheep (who didn't live next to him) wouldn't have known any better and probably wouldn't care. So, I played him at his own game and made a point of talking to neighbours when I knew he was watching and booming my own music at the weekend too... his emotions couldn't hide the fact he was jealous and angry.

After 2 and half years of misery with this nut-job, he finally moved... to the other side of the street (no kidding) so he could sit in his living room watching my family sitting in our own living room. He then had a child to his girlfriend just to make him look more 'respectable' and show his child off to the other neighbours by taking it out for a walk a couple of times a day hoping a neighbour would stop and talk to him whilst going ''Ahhh... isn't your daughter cute''. Puke.

On top of that, he would come out and stand on his own step several times every evening smoking and staring through our window from across the street whilst watching the other neighbours and cars going past too. He basically thought he 'owned' the street.

He did go eventually... and he did it in the middle of the night too. Still don't know (and don't care) why he suddenly left. No For Sale/To Let sign or anything.

There's some sick fucks out there, I tell you. Good riddance :)

belial
06-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Forgot to say, if you haven't been logging/time/date with every incident on paper then you need to start doing it now. Put as much detail down as possible and putting it down on paper might take away the anger/aggression/helplessness you feel. :)

They could be doing it to you, don't forget.

The neighbour I described previous was doing it us, and also making stuff up.

Threatened us - or should I say the Police did with a bang on the door at 6am in the morning - with an injunction.

When the Police turned up accusing us of this and that, we reminded them we had been living in our property for over 8 years and never had any problems with previous neighbours yet these lot turn up and within weeks have been causing trouble. Also reminded the Police that unless they have solid proof then their intrusion is harassment and would seek legal council. Got their badge numbers and names too.

Protect your rights and don't let some punk take them from you. :)

fratoue
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Sometimes, it's a battle of mental games/strength.

We had a neighbour once who was booming his music every weekend from Friday night till Sunday. Called the Pigs (sorry, Police) and they copped-out and said ''Can't you just sort it out between yourselves?''. Well, we did, several times... and this neighbour threatened to kill me if I didn't shut up. Told the Police, and they didn't want to know so told them to politely sod off and reminded them my council tax pays your wages, go and catch some real criminals, no wonder people hate the Police, blah, blah just to piss them off too. :)

Thing is, this arrogant prick of a neighbour knew how to play the game of coming across well dressed and making a point of saying hello and engaging in small-talk with other neighbours in the morning and in the evening when he did rarely go to work. So the other neighbours/sheep (who didn't live next to him) wouldn't have known any better and probably wouldn't care. So, I played him at his own game and made a point of talking to neighbours when I knew he was watching and booming my own music at the weekend too... his emotions couldn't hide the fact he was jealous and angry.

After 2 and half years of misery with this nut-job, he finally moved... to the other side of the street (no kidding) so he could sit in his living room watching my family sitting in our own living room. He then had a child to his girlfriend just to make him look more 'respectable' and show his child off to the other neighbours by taking it out for a walk a couple of times a day hoping a neighbour would stop and talk to him whilst going ''Ahhh... isn't your daughter cute''. Puke.

On top of that, he would come out and stand on his own step several times every evening smoking and staring through our window from across the street whilst watching the other neighbours and cars going past too. He basically thought he 'owned' the street.

He did go eventually... and he did it in the middle of the night too. Still don't know (and don't care) why he suddenly left. No For Sale/To Let sign or anything.

There's some sick fucks out there, I tell you. Good riddance :)

Had a child to look more respectable?. Bit extreme and long drawn out don't you think couldn't he not just wear a suit?. Seems to work on most of the gormless masses, 'oh look he's wearing suit he must be an upstanding member of society with a good job' Balls, I've been on/off employed for years and on the skin off my arse and regularly wear a suit (without the masonic tie of course!)

tildatod
06-08-2013, 02:54 PM

I see what you are saying belial. Why should you make the sacrifice and suffer because of someone else's actions? The problem is that situations often escalate, meaning that the home becomes a war zone, a place of stress and anxiety. I would dread the idea of coming home to face more potential woe. I understand that it's not so easy to walk away, find a new place, and there's no guarantees that the new place will bring peace. However, I've usually fared poorly in terms of mental and emotional health when involved in conflicts of this nature. I've usually had to leave, because whilst the other parties involved were arseholes, they clearly had little else to do with their lives other than remain arseholes. :rolleyes::mad: I stood my ground, knew my rights, and gave as good as I got, but it's very exhausting. I didn't advise the OP to leave or find a new place because I'm a keyboard warrior. Far from it - if anything I'm less and less inclined to be the scapegoat of other people's demented and anti-social behaviour....which is what often happens in these cases.

:)

mrunhappy
06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't understand belial's response either. It's a recipe for sickness to stay in a home where you cannot relax. If you rent, moving is relatively easy.

syxx
06-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Well, that's grand for your landlord, huxley; he still has your rent going into his bank account.
What's in it for you? Did he also say that he would sort it, evict the troublesome upstairs tenants, put them on notice of eviction for any further complaint? What assurances has your landlord given you that you will be able to live in peace? To live in peace--which is your right as a tenant, and one right which you are entitled to expect for which you pay rent in exchange.

My 'happy story' of finally finding a place to live in peace did not end where I left it.

Shortly after moving into where I now live, a new tenant moved in upstairs. I quite liked him, he was alright. Even showed up at my door one night at 2 in the morning, locked out of his flat. I invited him in and got him a hot drink and turned up the heat so he could get warm whilst he sorted having his key brought round from where he'd left it. All was well.
Until the music started. And the parties. And the band members staying over, arriving at 3 am and slamming the heavy oak door with a thunderous almighty wham. And the all-night drumming sessions. It escalated into 17 hour long parties.. one of which carried on without him as he was arrested from nicking sweets from the corner shop and stuck in a cell overnight. Then the girlfriend moved in.... and the walls reverberated and shook all night.

The police showed up a few times; the noise would stop -until they were round the corner. The landlord showed up once around noon one day to show the property to a new buyer: the tenant greeted him at the door with a joint in hand, music and partiers blaring in the background.... and slammed the door in his face. Yet still he remained, still he was the bane of my existence.

Finally, I called the landlord and firmly told them that I had had enough, enough of complaining and calling the police, enough of lost sleep and shattered nerves. I told them that the situation was intolerable and that they WERE going to move one of us.

It took a further two months for them to finally evict him. The leverage they used was that his girlfriend had moved in -and her name was not on the lease which constituted a breach of his tenant agreement.:rolleyes:
The property was left so trashed it is not worth the small rent they get for these flats for them to refurbish it. Thank god. :D

John- I did understand what you meant, btw! "the point of" is a point in time, not necessarily defined by action, but more defined by balancing on a point.

belial
06-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I see what you are saying belial. Why should you make the sacrifice and suffer because of someone else's actions? The problem is that situations often escalate, meaning that the home becomes a war zone, a place of stress and anxiety. I would dread the idea of coming home to face more potential woe. I understand that it's not so easy to walk away, find a new place, and there's no guarantees that the new place will bring peace. However, I've usually fared poorly in terms of mental and emotional health when involved in conflicts of this nature. I've usually had to leave, because whilst the other parties involved were arseholes, they clearly had little else to do with their lives other than remain arseholes. :rolleyes::mad: I stood my ground, knew my rights, and gave as good as I got, but it's very exhausting. I didn't advise the OP to leave or find a new place because I'm a keyboard warrior. Far from it - if anything I'm less and less inclined to be the scapegoat of other people's demented and anti-social behaviour....which is what often happens in these cases.

:)

Fair enough :)

There's no magical solution to neighbours from hell - you can only give your own story, I suppose, and hope other people learn from it.

I particularly hate these TV shows which trivialise/capitalise on wandering around filming neighbour conflicts and classing it as 'entertainment'. Like the scummy BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21506291 . Yes, I know the series wasn't all about neighbours from hell, but the BBC went in heavy/insensitively on the many scenes which did contain neighbour conflicts and many millions of people were watching/absorbing this shite from the BBC.

In my case, it was exhausting dealing with a neighbour from hell. Many times you wanted to get angry and then knew you would regret it the next day.

At the end of the day, if the council and the Police can't do anything, where does that leave you.

The intolerable can only be suffered/tolerated for so long. :)

reallife
06-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I haven't had any major issues with any of my neighbours. There was a guy lived in a flat above me years ago who tried to intimidate me for a while I just phoned the police and after they spoke to him he moved out. I don't know what the answer is really, except that usually if somebody is a bully and you shout back, they shut up.

huxley2013
06-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, that's grand for your landlord, huxley; he still has your rent going into his bank account.
What's in it for you? Did he also say that he would sort it, evict the troublesome upstairs tenants, put them on notice of eviction for any further complaint? What assurances has your landlord given you that you will be able to live in peace? To live in peace--which is your right as a tenant, and one right which you are entitled to expect for which you pay rent in exchange.

I anticipated a response like this.

The difference being now, that the Landlord is not on their side and likes us, and he knows what they are like. So they can't get us chucked out so easily.

Chill out!

artmuzz
06-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Its shit having problem neighbours.

I live in a shitty council flat that was built on the cheap in the late 1950s. I have lived there for over 11 years but in 2006 I got new neighbours moving in upstairs from me when my old neighbour passed away.

Those new neighbours I have got are a bloody nightmare. Since the building is built like crap I can hear everything they say and do. I can here the guy who is an alcoholic shout and swear at his lady friend and its really doing my head in. I can hear them walking across the floor very loudly and I can even hear pissing in the toilet its that bad.

At nights its a nightmare as I can hear them talking loudly when I am in my bed trying to sleep and this goes on until 3 in the morning. I complained about this to the council but they said there was nothing they could do apart from give me a flat in a high rise.

I suffer from severe anxiety and depression and all this shit is making me worse.:(

mrunhappy
06-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I anticipated a response like this.

The difference being now, that the Landlord is not on their side and likes us, and he knows what they are like. So they can't get us chucked out so easily.

Chill out!

Syxx's response was logical and rational. I agree with it.

You came looking for advice but anticipated being told the truth?

You can't get chucked out, unless you go against the terms of your lease.

You enjoy.

belial
06-08-2013, 06:32 PM

I live in a shitty council flat that was built on the cheap in the late 1950s. I have lived there for over 11 years but in 2006 I got new neighbours moving in upstairs from me when my old neighbour passed away.

Those new neighbours I have got are a bloody nightmare. Since the building is built like crap I can hear everything they say and do. I can here the guy who is an alcoholic shout and swear at his lady friend and its really doing my head in. I can hear them walking across the floor very loudly and I can even hear pissing in the toilet its that bad.

At nights its a nightmare as I can hear them talking loudly when I am in my bed trying to sleep and this goes on until 3 in the morning. I complained about this to the council but they said there was nothing they could do apart from give me a flat in a high rise.

I suffer from severe anxiety and depression and all this shit is making me worse.:(

Mate, I hear you.

It's a fucking nightmare.

belial
06-08-2013, 06:36 PM

My 'happy story' of finally finding a place to live in peace did not end where I left it.

Shortly after moving into where I now live, a new tenant moved in upstairs. I quite liked him, he was alright. Even showed up at my door one night at 2 in the morning, locked out of his flat. I invited him in and got him a hot drink and turned up the heat so he could get warm whilst he sorted having his key brought round from where he'd left it. All was well.
Until the music started. And the parties. And the band members staying over, arriving at 3 am and slamming the heavy oak door with a thunderous almighty wham. And the all-night drumming sessions. It escalated into 17 hour long parties.. one of which carried on without him as he was arrested from nicking sweets from the corner shop and stuck in a cell overnight. Then the girlfriend moved in.... and the walls reverberated and shook all night.

The police showed up a few times; the noise would stop -until they were round the corner. The landlord showed up once around noon one day to show the property to a new buyer: the tenant greeted him at the door with a joint in hand, music and partiers blaring in the background.... and slammed the door in his face. Yet still he remained, still he was the bane of my existence.

Finally, I called the landlord and firmly told them that I had had enough, enough of complaining and calling the police, enough of lost sleep and shattered nerves. I told them that the situation was intolerable and that they WERE going to move one of us.

It took a further two months for them to finally evict him. The leverage they used was that his girlfriend had moved in -and her name was not on the lease which constituted a breach of his tenant agreement.:rolleyes:
The property was left so trashed it is not worth the small rent they get for these flats for them to refurbish it. Thank god. :D

John- I did understand what you meant, btw! "the point of" is a point in time, not necessarily defined by action, but more defined by balancing on a point.

Where did you get the number from?

Private landlords' numbers are not as easy to get unless you know someone in the know.

This is how we had to deal with our last landlord/pimp/drug dealer who was letting anybody in as long as he got a monthly cashflow in the form of 'rent'.

huxley2013
06-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Are you aware of toxins like heavy metals from food and dental amalgams? Have you looked into reasons why you might have the anxiety?

ownedtbh
06-08-2013, 10:22 PM
don't let him think hes won put a brick through his window after you have left

Ian2day
06-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I've just had neighbour from below knock on my door asking me to turn down my music. Should I comply or just crank it up louder? lol Talk about anti social twats thinking that everyone has to abide by their wants. They have now thrown a mattress out the back and a couple of wooden pallets on the front lawn by their mountain of fag butts. Needless to say that they also leave all their shite in the hallway causing a fire hazard. Not to mention their massive inflatable castle that is taking up the communal garden at times.

syxx
07-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Where did you get the number from?

Private landlords' numbers are not as easy to get unless you know someone in the know.

This is how we had to deal with our last landlord/pimp/drug dealer who was letting anybody in as long as he got a monthly cashflow in the form of 'rent'.

Every private property that I have ever rented here has been directly from the property owner, or their rep. I always get the owners name and contact details before I sign a lease. If I don't get them, I won't sign a lease. I insist on knowing who owns the property I rent as my home, and to whom I owe responsibilities and obligations; they know who I am and require me to pass certain criteria, I have the right to expect the same in return. In this case, my landlord is a bank.
All business transactions should be as transparent as possible; if they are not, they are not transactions that I enter into. I understand that in many instances, private rentals are handled by estate or letting agents; that's fine as long as the landlord is not hiding behind them -but many expect to remain totally anonymous, and that is not right, in my opinion. :)

whatistruth
07-08-2013, 07:50 AM
It sounds like they have a point, if you're just living on housing benefits then hard working people have a right to be angry when you move in below them and start playing loud music, having parties and doing drugs all the time.

mrunhappy
07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
gets popcorn:rolleyes:

frizzjuice
07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
gets popcorn:rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f-AJ7aYvh9U/ULY9TwjfAEI/AAAAAAAAAIw/TRQ0CjtdteA/s320/eat-popcorn-3D.gif

whatistruth
07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
We're in for one wild night!

http://www.niavlys.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Animated-Gif-300.gif

artmuzz
07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
This is a video I posted to the DI forum a few weeks ago about antisocial neighbours in a high rise in Scotland. Those high rises are no longer there as they were demolished recently.

http://vimeo.com/41696653

mrunhappy
07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
This is a video I posted to the DI forum a few weeks ago about antisocial neighbours in a high rise in Scotland. Those high rises are no longer there as they were demolished recently.

http://vimeo.com/41696653

That video is just doom porn propaganda...

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've had the odd dodgy neighbour.. I'm just saying.. if its been given the green light to show in schools and colleges - it is likely created for an agenda. Like stranger danger, HIV AIDS, and man-made global farting...