PDA

View Full Version : Are you dehyrated?

swamideva
23-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Water Is Life For The Human Body

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lidUK-nTI38/Uekk-hduEhI/AAAAAAAABDQ/Pc91_HvIuGY/s1600/1001391_10200977438692397_1387018257_n.jpg

The majority of us are chronically dehydrated and don't even know it. Did you know that when you are chronically dehydrated your body actually stops feeling thirsty? Also, often times when you feel hungry, it is just another way your body is trying to tell you it is thirsty.
It is impossible for your body to function properly while dehydrated.
You may have problems concentrating
Your blood slows down creating high blood pressure
Muscles can ache, cramp or you may even wake in the night with a Charlie Horse
Your liver does not function up to par which slows down your body's detoxification creating illness and diseases. Cancer occurs when your body cannot eliminate the toxins faster than you put them in. This is why the liver is vital for healing cancer
Your skin becomes dry and crusty. If you are looking to look younger, drinking plenty of water will help.
There are a lot of figures out there which will tell you how much water to drink but I'm going to say that if you don't drink at least 100 oz a day, your body is paying for it. Also, almost everything else you drink such as soda, coffee and alcohol all dehydrate you. This figure may sound high but your body will help you. The more water you drink the more your body tells you that it is thirsty. Build up to this number slowly if you need to. Just keep improving.

Sources: Dave Sommers, Herculean Health

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/07/water-is-life-for-human-body.html

al209
23-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I am extremely wary of recommendations to drink x amount if water a day or drink when you are not thirsty. Excessive water intake and by extension increased blood and interstitial fluid volume and lowered electrolyte concenetration can lower your metabolic rate as easily evidenced by a drop in body temperature. Pissing clear is a sign of the body being stressed, having low blood sugar or relying on fat burning via the stress hormones.

There seems to be a concerted effort to have us drink loads of water, considering that's a primary vehicle for their poisons it's no surprise.

Excess water in the intestine leads to overproduction of serotonin, which contrary to popular belief isn't a good thing.

Regular coffee users are not dehydrated by it, nor does it affect their sleep. Alcohol dehydrates yes, but there are plenty of other reasons to not do that often/at all.

Eat for heat is a good little read on water intake and its effects. I feel much better and warmer when I just drink to thirst.

If your gonna insist on chugging loads of water make sure you take salt too.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 08:31 AM
I am extremely wary of recommendations to drink x amount if water a day or drink when you are not thirsty. Excessive water intake and by extension increased blood and interstitial fluid volume and lowered electrolyte concenetration can lower your metabolic rate as easily evidenced by a drop in body temperature. Pissing clear is a sign of the body being stressed, having low blood sugar or relying on fat burning via the stress hormones.

There seems to be a concerted effort to have us drink loads of water, considering that's a primary vehicle for their poisons it's no surprise.

Excess water in the intestine leads to overproduction of serotonin, which contrary to popular belief isn't a good thing.

Regular coffee users are not dehydrated by it, nor does it affect their sleep. Alcohol dehydrates yes, but there are plenty of other reasons to not do that often/at all.

Eat for heat is a good little read on water intake and its effects. I feel much better and warmer when I just drink to thirst.

Can we have sources for this information.

al209
23-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Personal experience not good enough I suppose? :D

There is a reason we have thirst, same as we have hunger, sensitivity to heat/cold etc.

You could always use google in the meantime swami, or pubmed, or even this very forum, but Ill post some links up later its a nightmare on a phone.

Isn't it obvious that adding water to a salty solution makes the solution less concentrated? And that we need a specific concentration of electrolytes for optimal hydration? Do you really think excess water is harmless?
What about all the E kids who died because of misguided recommendations to drink as much water as possible while out dancing?

Google hyponatremia.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Top 10 Benefits of Drinking Water: Don't Medicate, Hydrate!

1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue – Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!

2. Promotes Weight Loss – Removes by-products of fat, reduces eating intake (by filling up your tummy if consumed prior to meals), reduces hunger (hello natural appetite suppressant!), raises your metabolism and has zero calories!

3. Flushes Out Toxins – Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).

4. Improves Skin Complexion – Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Gets rid of wrinkles. It’s the best anti-aging treatment around!

5. Maintains Regularity – Aids in digestion as water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.

6. Boosts Immune System – A water guzzler is less likely to get sick. And who wouldn’t rather feel healthy the majority of the time? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks.

7. Natural Headache Remedy – Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.

8. Prevents Cramps & Sprains - Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.

9. Puts You in a Good Mood – When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!

10. Save Money! - Water is FREE! Even if you choose bottled/filtered water, it’s STILL cheaper than that high sugar and fat-filled latte!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4287/10-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Drink-More-Water.html

swamideva
23-07-2013, 08:51 AM
10 Surprising Reasons to Drink More Water

We hear about importance of drinking enough water constantly. On the flip side, there has been a growing trend in the media lately that the commonly recommended eight cups of water daily is a myth, which is technically accurate, but not the whole story. Whether you need eight cups of water daily, or four or ten, most people are not getting the message that whatever their particular water needs are, they aren’t meeting them.

And even dietitians, nutritionists, and medical professionals are contributing to the problem by informing people that they get enough water in their diet in the form of fruits and vegetables. That might be true for some people, but after assessing the diets of countless people, I assure you that isn’t the case for most people.

Plus, have you ever noticed that when you throw vegetables in a pan and turn on the heat you’ll see liquid in the pan soon afterward, and then shortly after that you’ll see steam rising from them? That’s because you’re literally cooking the water out of the vegetables.

Researchers estimate that half of the world’s population is chronically dehydrated. And in America, that level is even higher at 75 percent of the population.

More than two-thirds of your body weight is water. Without adequate water your body’s biochemical and electrical (yes electrical, read on!) processes begin to break down. The list of reasons your body needs water is as plentiful as the functions in your body, so due to space limitations, here are 10 good reasons to drink more water:

1. Your blood is over 80 percent water and needs water to make healthy new blood cells.

2. Your bones are over 50 percent water and, you guessed it, need water to make healthy new bone cells.

3. Drinking more water actually helps lessen pain in your body by getting your lymphatic system moving. The lymphatic system is a network of nodes, tubes, vessels, and fluid that move waste out of your tissues. It requires water to function properly.

4. Water helps to eliminate wastes and toxins from your body through the lymphatic system, kidneys, and intestines.

5. Water lubricates your joints and helps reduce joint pain and protect against wear and tear.

6. Water regulates your metabolism so if you’re overweight chances are you may need more water.

7. Water balances body temperature.

8. Water helps to ensure adequate electrical functioning so your brain and nervous system function properly. Your brain and nervous system send out electrical signals to function properly. Researchers estimate that your brain gives off about the same amount of electricity as a 60 watt light bulb. So, there’s some truth to the image of a light bulb going on when someone has a good idea.

9. Water alleviates dehydration (and I’ve already mentioned that most people are chronically dehydrated).

10. Every cell and organ in your body requires adequate water to function properly.

So, one of the quickest and easiest ways to improve your health is to start drinking more pure water every day. Be sure to drink water an empty stomach or you’ll simply be diluting your digestive enzymes and making your digestion less effective.

And, choose purified water as much as possible (but get yourself a BPA-free water bottle so you won’t pollute the planet with all those plastic water bottles. In wealthy, developed nations with plentiful access to water, we really have no excuses for not drinking enough water.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-reasons-to-drink-more-water-that-you-may-not-know.html?page=2

swamideva
23-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Your Body's Many Cries for Water: A Revolutionary Natural Way to Prevent Illness and Restore Good Health

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ooKEQyDLL._.jpg

Amazon Review

Water, water everywhere - but do we drink enough?, 9 Nov 2005
By
Kathy Lang
This review is from: Your Body's Many Cries for Water: A Revolutionary Natural Way to Prevent Illness and Restore Good Health (Paperback)
In the west, most people drink little or no water, and often do drink lots of dehydrating liquids such as coffee or alcoholic drinks. The health pundits tell you to drink more without being very clear on why. And if you've ever tried to lose weight, you'll almost certainly have been urged to drink lots of water - as my mother used cynically to say, ‘to fill you up’.

But is there more to it than that? Dr Batmanghelidj thinks there iis. I found this book by accident when I was trying to find out just WHY water is supposed to be good for you, and I was riveted from the first page. It's easy to be sceptical of anyone so enthusiastic, but, if Dr Batmanghelidjhe is right, then far too many people are taking medication for problems such as high blood pressure and raised cholesterol, when all they really need to do is to drink a lot more water.

I don't suffer from either of those conditions myself, thankfully, but since I started taking the book's advice and drinking at least two litres of plain water each day, I've noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels. It's often hard to keep to this regime when I'm away from home, and I really notice the difference – even when I'm on holiday, I get fatigued much more easily when I drink less water.

My one criticism of this book is that there is not enough independent confirmation of the many fascinating anecdotes. I guess the idea of water being a cure-all is too dangerous for the pharmaceutical companies' profits and too naive for most doctors!

Infinite I
23-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Interesting point of view, heard all the pro water stuff before and for me personally seems a bit over the top, spending half your day getting down lots of water just doesn't seem natural and recently someone told me when hungover and you drink lots of water it doesn't seem that satisfying because your body actually needs electrolytes and sugars to replace what's gone, certainly feels that way, water just doesn't seem to cut it. When I've done the excessive water regime I'm pissing constantly and it doesn't seem normal though open minded to the fact it could be because I'm not used to it. I'm still undecided and don't trust most "studies" out there, usually supported by governments that say drink a shitload of the stuff, another reason I'm wary. I live in a hot country now and my water intake is well up but it seems kinda natural. When drinking a lot in a cold country I was constantly at the toilet which was a put off.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 08:59 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5103AMX9J5L._.jpg

The most important book you'll ever read...

This book challenges the medical establishment at the deepest level. Dr "Batman", following more than twenty years of research and experience into the healing effects of water and salt, has come to the conclusion that almost all our diseases are the result of chronic dehydration. Instead of treating people with water and salt, we are "poisoning" them with drugs, which bring their own risks and can kill people. The book is clearly written for the layperson to understand, but the doctor goes into all the physiological reasons of why our body needs water and how it is constantly signalling us that it is in drought. It all seems so obvious when it's spelt out! I found the book compelling reading and almost instantly cut out caffeine (tea and coffee are prime "dehydrators") and started on The Water Cure. Be prepared to have your old beliefs challenged, but, when you read the testimonials written by people who have recovered from cancer, diabetes, incontinence, asthma and allergies and so on, you might think again. Could be your life-saving read!

al209
23-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Interesting point of view, heard all the pro water stuff before and for me personally seems a bit over the top, spending half your day getting down lots of water just doesn't seem natural and recently someone told me when hungover and you drink lots of water it doesn't seem that satisfying because your body actually needs electrolytes and sugars to replace what's gone, certainly feels that way, water just doesn't seem to cut it. When I've done the excessive water regime I'm pissing constantly and it doesn't seem normal though open minded to the fact it could be because I'm not used to it. I'm still undecided and don't trust most "studies" out there, usually supported by governments that say drink a shitload of the stuff, another reason I'm wary. I live in a hot country now and my water intake is well up but it seems kinda natural. When drinking a lot in a cold country I was constantly at the toilet which was a put off.
I think it's a sign of how arrogant we have become that we think we somehow know better than our body. It will do its best to keep water and salt levels optimal no matter what we think or do. It's limited in its capacity to save us from ourselves though. Millions of years developing thirst, salt cravings and the renin - angiotensin - aldosterone system, and we think we know better because we read a book!

jondoeuk
23-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Nothing beats the metallic tasting, recycled brown water. Filter, filter & filter

jack tripper
23-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Is it true that if your urine is the same color as lemonade it means you are adequately hydrated, but if it is a strong yellow color you are in need of water. Is that true or not?

swamideva
23-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Dr. Batmanghelidj's Water Cure - How Water & Salt Intake Affects Your Health

Have You Heard of Dr.Batmanghelidj's Water Cure?

Disclaimer: This hub is FOR INFORMATION AND ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.Please consult your own personal medical advisor before engaging in any health protocol. Readers acknowledge that they use this information at their own discretion and risk.

Dr. F. Batmanghelidj (aka "Dr. Batman") is now deceased, but before he died, this physician did more than any other doctor to popularize interest in the study of chronic intracellular dehydration as the problem behind a wide variety of common ills.

His insight came while he himself was imprisoned for political reasons in Iran. While there - and without proper medical facilities or medication - as a "doctor" he was expected to treat the ill who came to him in the prison.

One day a man presented himself with acute ulcer pain. Dr. Batmanghelidj only had water to offer. Two glasses of water, however, quickly eased the pain. Because water was the only "medication" freely available to him, the good doctor began to experiment the use of water to remedy a variety of conditions. By the time he was able to escape his imprisonment, he was convinced enough to devote the rest of his life to the study of the link between proper hydration and health.

Below are 6 videos that compose a debate on the efficacy of the Water Cure with Dr. Bathmanghelidj.

I've also attached some relevant links for more information on the "Water Cure".

What is the "Water Cure"?

Here is what Dr. Batmanghelidj prescribed as the "Water Cure".

1. Sufficient Water. For every 2 pounds of body weight, he recommended that one drink one ounce of water.

Someone weighing 200 pounds should, therefore, drink 100 ounces of water in addition to any other liquids one may ingest.

It's important to drink enough water regardless of whatever else one may drink because beverages like coffee, tea, and carbonated beverages contain caffeine and other additives that dehydrate the body and tend to produce the signs of illness.

Water should be consumed upon arising and at 2 hour intervals (approximately) throughout the day.

In addition to water, one easily overlooked component to Dr. Batmanghelidj's "Water Cure" is this:

2. Sea Salt. For every 16 ounces of water, Dr. Batmanghelidj recommended 1/8th tsp of sea salt taken on the tongue.

This is recommended for everybody by Dr. Batmanghelidj but especially for people suffering from asthma and allergies. The salt, he says, serves as an antihistamine.

As I've said salt intake is easily overlooked. The main element is water in a "water cure" but unless you take the right amount of salt, the good doctor says your results will not be as good as they might be.

Conditions Helped By Dr. Batmanghelidj's Water Cure

Dr. Batmanghelidj's studies suggested that dehydration was the culprit behind many conditions. Here are some health issues that Dr. Batmanghelidj offered advice about:

Allergies
Angina
Arthritis
Asthma
Autoimmune Diseases
Back Pain
Cancer
Colitis
Constipation
Depression
Diabetes
Fibromyalgia
Heartburn
High Blood Cholesterol
High Blood Pressure
Low Energy
Migraines
Obesity
Pain
Skin conditions
And many more...

Does Dr. Batmanghelidj Recommend Water Filter usage?

In my reading of Dr. Batmanghelidj's writings, he never suggested the use of "water filters".

He considered that most municipalities in the United States had perfectly fine water for use in the "Water Cure".

Obviously there are situations where taste and contaminants make additional filtration of tap water preferable before use.

The most common complaint about tap water is the "chlorine taste". Many times this can be alleviated through allowing the chlorine in the water to enter the atmosphere which it does, over time.

Some individuals, though, still want to use basic filtration to remove the chlorine taste.

You may wish to consider some water filters that are commonly for sale at Amazon or Ebay if you find the taste of chlorine objectionable.

Water Cure Links

The Official Water Cure site http://searchtermresults.com/?dn=watercure.org&pid=9PO28A2FW&bkt=7978&kwrf=http%3A%2F%2Fchuckhuckaby.hubpages.com%2Fhub% 2FDr-Batmanghelidjs-Water-Cure
The official water cure site has basic information and books by "Dr. B" and other information on the "Water Cure".

Water Cure Unofficial Site http://www.watercure2.org/
This is an unofficial water cure site that makes other information available
on the water cure

WaterCure TV Debate http://youtu.be/Q120JWs3xws

al209
23-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Is it true that if your urine is the same color as lemonade it means you are adequately hydrated, but if it is a strong yellow color you are in need of water. Is that true or not?

I would say thats a pretty good guideline. Yellow, but not almost orange

People seem to forget that its the concentration of salts that is key, not total water intake. Saying 1 ounce water per pound bodyweight is too simplistic. Doesnt take into account environmental factors, water and mineral content of your food etc

swamideva
23-07-2013, 09:45 AM

I do think that your body needs adequate water, and strong yellow urine is definitely a symptom of severe dehydration, though urine is not the only indicator.

Most people think that a dry mouth is the indicator of a need for water. The medical profession think so.

A dry mouth is a symptom that you are dehydrated. But why wait until your body cries out for it. it is best to keep your body topped up.

You would not let your car run out of petrol before you filled it up, so why let your body dehydrate before you top it up.

The title of the above book. Your bodies many cries for water. Says it all.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Your Body’s Many Cries For Water

Author: Barmanghelidj | http://tasteofhealth.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/dr_batman2.jpg

Secrets of “the water cure” were revealed to me in the most unlikely place you could imagine…a Middle Eastern prison. It was 1979 when I found myself caught in a political inferno.

After graduating from St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School of London University and having the honor of being selected as the resident doctor in my own medical school, I returned to my birthplace of Iran to set up medical centers and clinics. I became very successful in this endeavor. Then the political volcano erupted. You likely saw on television the angry masses engaged in the violent overthrow of the Shah and the Iranian government.

Tragically, almost all professional people who had stayed in the country were rounded up and taken to prison to be investigated, tried, and “dealt with” as quickly as possible. Some people were shot on the first day or two. Their “revolutionary” trials consisted of establishment of identity, pronouncement of guilt, then the sentence. Most of the trials lasted no more than ten minutes. Some people were given a little more time before being “processed.” I was fortunate to be among the latter group. I suppose my skills as a doctor were useful to prison authorities.

At one point, the prison which was designed to hold 600 persons was “sardine-packed” with 8,000 to 9,000 prisoners. At the height of their revolutionary fervor, prison authorities used some cells built for six to eight people to isolate up to 90 persons. One third would lie down, one third would squat, and one third would have to stand. Every few hours, prisoners would rotate position.

The nightmare of life and death in that prison haunted everyone and tested the courage of both the strong and the weak. This is when it was revealed to me some of the greatest secrets of the human body never before understood by the medical profession. For most of the prisoners, who ranged in age from 14 to 80, pressures of the exceptionally harsh prison life caused much stress and illness. I knew I was meant to be there to help some of these desperate people.

It was in Evin Prison where I discovered for the first time in medicine that “classical diseases” of the body respond well to an increase in water intake. About two months into my imprisonment (after the first six weeks in solitary confinement), my purpose was revealed and it forever changed my life. Late one night, I was awakened to see an inmate in excruciating stomach pain. He could not walk by himself. Two other inmates were helping him stay upright. He was suffering from peptic ulcer disease and he wanted pain medication. His face dropped when I told him I had not been allowed to bring medical supplies with me to prison.

Then the revolutionary breakthrough occurred! I gave him two glasses of water. His pain disappeared in minutes and he could stand up by himself. He beamed from ear to ear. You cannot imagine the joy of relief he experienced, even in those harsh surroundings. “What happens if the pain comes back?” he asked. “Drink two glasses of water every three hours,” I told him.

He became pain-free and remained disease-free for the rest of his time in prison. His “water cure” totally amazed me as a doctor. I knew I had witnessed a healing power to water that I had not been taught in medical school. If water could relieve a painful condition, surely it needed further research! My eyes were opened. I realized why I had come to prison! I was sent there to learn a new approach to medicine and to reveal many other hidden secrets about the human body.......http://tasteofhealth.net/tips-on-living-healthy-the-christian-way/your-bodies-many-cries-for-water

swamideva
23-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I would say thats a pretty good guideline. Yellow, but not almost orange

People seem to forget that its the concentration of salts that is key, not total water intake. Saying 1 ounce water per pound bodyweight is too simplistic. Doesnt take into account environmental factors, water and mineral content of your food etc

Please source your material.

al209
23-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Please source your material.

Well, i wrote that by myself, so I am the source.

What points do you disagree with?

nixieolgb
23-07-2013, 10:22 AM
al,

thats the trouble with u mate. ur reliance on non evidence based studies is the reason u r where u r today. :D

havent read the whole fred but did any1 mention the quality of water u r drinking is almost as important as drinking fluoride free water. esp. in cancer patients as chemo destroys the electrolyte balance. buxton bottled water seems to have a good balance. high mineral content compared to other brands. perfect for hydrating ur body as u r going thru treatment.

i hate the fact that everything i talk about tends to turn into a discussion about cancer...

al209
23-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Heres a few wikipedia links to get you started. Its difficult sometimes to remember where you learned stuff youve known for years. I could try and make a list of the biology and human physiology books ive read, but there are a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhydration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldosterone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renin%E2%80%93angiotensin_system

Nixie, critical thinking is a curse mate :D

I hate the fact everything i talk about ends up as an argument..

al209
23-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Has anyone actually read Your Bodies Many Cries for Water? Its lousy, its pretty much all anecdote and photocopies of letters he sent to people. Ive not read the follow up

swamideva
23-07-2013, 11:21 AM
The Water Cure

Make up your own mind watch the TV debate,

Part 1
http://youtu.be/Q120JWs3xws
Part 2
http://youtu.be/FDM2PqYPJLU
Part 3
http://youtu.be/KO0oBmFBev8
Part 4
http://youtu.be/LfSGHKZ6C4Q
Part 5
http://youtu.be/y0667hAgHTU
Part 6
http://youtu.be/V4lYkqXK3T8

grandmasterp
23-07-2013, 11:23 AM
If your urine is dark you need fluids.
If it's cloudy or stinky you need to see a doctor.
Clear or light straw coloured urine indicates healthy kidneys and bladder.
We always tested urine as morning MSSU.
( First urine passed after sleep ' mid stream specimen').
What no one needs is to constantly carry and chug down water during ever waking hour like a baby from a feeder bottle wherever you go.
When did that happen?
For goodness sake drink before you go out and when you arrive.
Fair enough on a journey or out for the day, but walking round the shops?

al209
23-07-2013, 11:23 AM
That you need water and salt is not in dispute for me. That there is an defined amount we all need to drink every day is.

grandmasterp
23-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Salt's a killer for goodness sake do NOT drink salt water.
For rehydration during or after a bout of diarrhoea an electrolytic replacer is fine but not as a regular drink when healthy.
http://www.dioralyte.co.uk/
Is a good product.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 11:39 AM
If your urine is dark you need fluids.
If it's cloudy or stinky you need to see a doctor.
Clear or light straw coloured urine indicates healthy kidneys and bladder.
We always tested urine as morning MSSU.
( First urine passed after sleep ' mid stream specimen').
What no one needs is to constantly carry and chug down water during ever waking hour like a baby from a feeder bottle wherever you go.
When did that happen?
For goodness sake drink before you go out and when you arrive.
Fair enough on a journey or out for the day, but walking round the shops?

Have you seen the TV debate, your opinion would be interesting.

Salt is necessary for life, its the type and quantity thatch the issue

swamideva
23-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Salt is GOOD for you: Eating more could even lower the chances of heart disease

Controversial findings question push by authorities to get people to cut consumption

For years, doctors have been telling us that too much salt is bad for us. Until now.
A study claims that cutting down on salt can actually increase the risk of dying from a heart attack or a stroke.

The research has left nutritionists scratching their heads.

Its findings indicate that those who eat the least sodium – about one teaspoon a day – don’t show any health advantage over those who eat the most.

In the eight-year study, people with the lowest salt intake had the highest rate of death from heart disease

In fact, those with less salty diets actually had slightly higher death rates from heart disease.

The study, which followed 3,681 healthy European men and women aged 60 or younger, for about eight years, also found that above-average salt intake did not appear to increase the danger of developing high blood pressure.

The report, in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, was released just three months after the U.S. government launched a public health campaign urging restaurants and food manufacturers to cut down on their use of salt.

Sodium was measured in the urine of those taking part, at the beginning and end of the study.

A little more than six per cent of the participants suffered a heart attack, a stroke or some other cardiovascular emergency during the eight years. About a third of these were fatal.

Those who consumed the least salt had a 56 per cent higher risk of death from a heart attack or stroke compared with those who consumed the most.

This was even after obesity, cholesterol levels, smoking, diabetes and other risk factors were taken into account.

There were 50 deaths in the third of participants with the lowest salt consumption, 24 in the third with medium intake and just ten deaths in those with the highest salt levels.

Lead researcher Jan Staessen, head of the hypertension laboratory at the University of Leuven, in Belgium, said: ‘Our findings do not support a generalised reduction of salt intake in the population.’

The scientists did not have a firm explanation for their results, but they reportedly speculated that low levels of salt in the body could cause more stress in the nervous system, decrease sensitivity to insulin and affect hormones that control blood pressure and sodium absorption.

But they stressed that those with high blood pressure – who were not included in the study – should still stick to a low-salt diet.

Some experts claimed last night that the findings should be taken with, well, a pinch of salt. They argue that the volunteers used in the study all started out with normal blood pressure, were white, relatively young and reasonably healthy.

Past research has shown that those with hypertension, black people, the elderly and the obese tend to react more negatively to ingesting more salt.

Many other studies have shown salt can be bad for you.

In March, Australian scientists reported that it takes only 30 minutes for a salty meal significantly to impair the arteries’ ability to pump blood around the body.

Health experts estimate that cutting average consumption by just a couple of grams a day would slash strokes by 22 per cent and heart attacks by 16 per cent, saving 17,000 lives in the UK.

Research last year suggested heart disease could be cut by almost a fifth if food companies were banned from adding too much salt to their products.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1383393/Salt-intake-drop-increase-chances-heart-disease.html#ixzz2ZreazN9N
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

al209
23-07-2013, 12:01 PM
From everything ive read, the whole "water = good, salt = bad" thing is just more lies to weaken us. if we all religiously swerve the salt, and chug as much water as we can, we are just putting more stress on the body.

Sugar = bad, polyunsaturated fats = good is another one. One increases thyroid output, one hinders it, yet we are told the reverse.

Yes too much salt isnt good for you, in the same way too much water isnt. and processed iodised salt isnt good either and to be avoided at all costs. Once it tastes too salty, then youve had enough. If it tastes delicious, thats a pretty good clue.

basic unadulterated pure white sea salt is ideal, it has to go through some process to harvest it, but any salt does really, if you want it to be clean. Ive heard the dirt in celtic sea salt contains uranium from the British Channel, though i have no source to link, just heard Ray Peat mentioning he knew someone who had tested it. It was on one of his Josh Rubin interviews.

Processed food companies dont use real salt, they use MSG, sodium nitrite etc

ricko
23-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm constantly dehydrated because I'm constantly hungover because I constantly drink alcohol constantly :(

grandmasterp
23-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Adding Salt to anything is really bad for you.
Best avoided.
There's more than enough salt for our bodily needs in everyday foodstuffs.
For goodness sake don't anyone even think about drinking salt in water.
You will be sick.

al209
23-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Best avoided.
You will be sick.

I drink OJ with salt in, and feel much better for doing so. I sometimes put calcium in it too...:eek:

swamideva
23-07-2013, 12:37 PM
It's Time to End the War on Salt

The zealous drive by politicians to limit our salt intake has little basis in science

For decades, policy makers have tried and failed to get Americans to eat less salt. In April 2010 the Institute of Medicine urged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate the amount of salt that food manufacturers put into products; New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has already convinced 16 companies to do so voluntarily. But if the U.S. does conquer salt, what will we gain? Bland french fries, for sure. But a healthy nation? Not necessarily.

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous..........http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt

grandmasterp
23-07-2013, 12:39 PM
I drink OJ with salt in, and feel much better for doing so. I sometimes put calcium in it too...:eek:

Keep an eye on your blood pressure buddy.
Hypertension is asymptomatic 'til it's ( sometimes) too late.

swamideva
23-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Best avoided.
You will be sick.

I suggest you watch the TV debate, before making blanket statements such as that.

Dr Batman recommends 1/4 tsp of sea salt for every quart of water that you drink.

The salt is not added to the water. Who told you that? Or are you jumping to conclusions.

Recent research disproves what you say.

Processed foods contain way to much of the wrong type of salt.

hoverfly
23-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Have you done any research on whether inorganic or organic salts a good/harmful for the body ?

No sources for anything you've stated.

:rolleyes:

swamideva
23-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Have you done any research on whether inorganic or organic salts a good/harmful for the body ?

From what i have read ordinary table salt is bad news. Sea sat is much better.

Better still is stone ground Himalayan pink salt. It can be used to make 'Sole'. It contains 84 minerals and is excellent for mineral supplementation.

I have recently discovered that mineral supplementation is more important than vitamins.

How to make Sole. http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/sole-recipe.html

jack tripper
23-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Salt's a killer for goodness sake do NOT drink salt water.
For rehydration during or after a bout of diarrhoea an electrolytic replacer is fine but not as a regular drink when healthy.
http://www.dioralyte.co.uk/
Is a good product.

What about salt water for mouth ulcers? I have used it for that before and it works quickly, but I never swallow it.

al209
23-07-2013, 01:41 PM

salt isnt organic full stop, its a mineral so inorganic by default. There may be regulations that allow people to put "organic" stickers on packets of salt, but that doesnt alter the fact that unless its a carbon compound, its not organic. How the sticker makes sodium chloride something other than sodium chloride i dont know.

If theres anything you disagree with, or are dubious about let me know and ill address that, or you could always google and see if im lying.

al209
23-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Coffee does not cause dehydration in regular users (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754)

The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised.

i assume thats what you were dubious about Hoverfly?

blista
23-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Just use your pee, transparant white = you're fine, yellow = drink some more. It's a good way to keep track of your hydration.

al209
23-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Just use your pee, transparant white = you're fine, yellow = drink some more. It's a good way to keep track of your hydration.

In my view the opposite is true. Clear means too much water vs solute

swamideva
23-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Add This Seasoning to Your Food Daily - Despite What Your Doctor Says

By Dr. Mercola

The idea that salt is bad for you and contributes to heart disease is an idea that has become more or less cemented as dogma in the West. Where did this idea come from? And more importantly, is it true?

My intention today is to show you the fallacy of the notion that salt is generally bad for you, and how salt has been indicted by so-called nutritional "experts," as well as by government regulators, without a fair trial. When you look at what the research actually says, I believe you will be convinced that salt is not only relatively benign but is a major nutritional goldmine, IF you consume the right kind.

You have probably had the benefits of a low-salt diet drummed into your head for years.

However, decades of scientific research have failed to prove ANY benefits of a low-salt diet, and in fact tend to show the opposite. Studies have also failed to prove salt's connection to heart disease. I will show you where this mistaken idea originated… and the sound you hear may be cardiologists' hearts breaking across the globe.

Salt is an Essential Nutrient

Salt is essential for life—you cannot live without it. Salt has always been important to human life on this planet. Even the word "salary" comes from the root "sal," because Romans were paid in salt. African and European explorers traded an ounce of salt for an ounce of gold—salt was literally worth its weight in gold. Unrefined natural salt is important to many biological processes, including:

Being a major component of your blood plasma, lymphatic fluid, extracellular fluid, and even amniotic fluid
Carrying nutrients into and out of your cells
Maintain and regulate blood pressure
Increasing the glial cells in your brain, which are responsible for creative thinking and long-term planning.
Helping your brain communicate with your muscles, so that you can move on demand via sodium-potassium ion exchange

More than 80 percent of the salt most people consume is from processed foods. Indeed, there is far too much sodium in processed foods. But you shouldn't be eating those foods anyway—sodium is just one of MANY ingredients in packaged foods that will adversely affect your health. The salt added to these convenience foods is mostly sodium—as opposed to natural salt, which is much lower in sodium. I'll be discussing more of the differences between natural and refined salt shortly.

DASH-ing the Sodium Myth: Salt as the Scapegoat for Sugar

If you repeat something long enough, people will believe it's true. And this seems to be the case with salt. The genesis of the sodium myth lies with one study that seemed to show a link between salt and hypertension.

Yes, just ONE study.

In 1997, the DASH-sodium study was conducted to determine whether or not a low-salt diet would control hypertension. The DASH diet consists largely of fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy, and is very low in salt. But it's ALSO low in sugar/fructose. So, while people on DASH diets do show reduced hypertension, the reason for this is not the reduction in salt, but the reduction in fructose.

Hypertension is actually promoted more by excess fructose than excess salt.

Researchers were so eager and personally invested in proving their salt theory that they completely overlooked other factors, thereby drawing the wrong conclusion altogether. This is where the sodium myth really gained its footing. Salt got the blame for the damage sugar was causing in a monumental rush to judgment.

The amount of salt Americans eat pales in comparison to the amount of fructose they consume on a daily basis, and I'm convinced that sugar/fructose—rather than salt—is the major driving force behind our skyrocketing hypertension rates. Gary Taubes is an investigative science and health journalist and author of several books, including Good Calories, Bad Calories.

In his classic 1988 article "The (Political) Science of Salt," Taubes wrote:

"While the government has been denouncing salt as a health hazard for decades, no amount of scientific effort has been able to dispense with the suspicions that it is not. Indeed, the controversy over the benefits, if any, of salt reduction now constitutes one of the longest running, most vitriolic, and surreal disputes in all of medicine….

The data supporting universal salt reduction have never been compelling, nor has it ever been demonstrated that such a program would not have unforeseen negative side effects… After decades of intensive research, the apparent benefits of avoiding salt have only diminished. This suggests either that the true benefit has now been revealed and is indeed small, or that it is nonexistent, and researchers believing they have detected such benefits have been deluded by the confounding influences of other variables…"

Blood pressure drops as much in low-sugar studies as it did in the DASH-sodium study, but this fact has been conveniently ignored. Even though researchers have repeatedly failed to prove the salt/heart disease link, agencies like the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) climbed aboard the anti-salt train, and salt has been painted as "Public Enemy Number One" ever since.

But why?

One reason could be because it directed attention away from the real culprit behind high blood pressure and heart disease—specifically, excess sugar and grain carbohydrates. Whether or not that culprit is known by these agencies is up for debate, but by restricting salt, at least they maintain the appearance that they're doing something to address the increasing cardiovascular disease epidemic. Once the notion of salt's evilness became lodged in the mind of the public, very few bothered to check the facts, and this medical myth became accepted as truth.

The Link Between Fructose and Cardiovascular Disease

Let's review how excess dietary sugar and refined carbohydrates can set you up for developing cardiovascular disease. Hypertension is the common thread linking obesity, type 2 diabetes, gout, heart disease and stroke. But there is ANOTHER common denominator among those diseases: insulin resistance. And what do we know causes insulin resistance? Sugar and refined carbohydrates—primarily fructose.

Sugar and refined carbohydrates raise your insulin levels, which in turn raise your blood pressure and promote storage of body fat, obesity, diabetes and heart disease. The reason fructose does this more than any other sugar is that your body produces uric acid as a byproduct of fructose metabolism, and increased uric acid levels drive up blood pressure. No one explains this more clearly than Dr. Richard Johnson, and I recommend you listen to my interview with him if you want to really understand this basic physiological phenomenon.

What the science shows is very clear. It isn't the salt doing this—it's the fructose. The preponderance of evidence shows that sodium intake does NOT affect blood pressure unless you are especially sodium-sensitive. But there is an added problem with salt-restricted diets.

Can Your Sodium Ever be TOO Low?

Yes it can!

You may not be aware of this, but your risk for health problems increases significantly if your sodium is too low, a condition known as hyponatremia. Sodium is an electrolyte responsible for many critical biological processes, including regulating the amount of water that's in and around your cells, so if your blood becomes too low in sodium, your body's fluid levels rise and your cells begin to swell. This swelling can cause a number of health problems, from mild to severe.

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"A low-sodium, high-water diet can sometimes disturb the proper balance between sodium and fluids in your blood."

Other causes of hyponatremia include medications, drinking too much water during exercise, dehydration, and certain diseases, including those affecting the function of your liver, kidneys, and thyroid gland. At its worst, hyponatremia can be life threatening, leading to brain swelling, coma and death. Premenopausal women appear have the highest risk of hyponatremia-related brain damage due to how female hormones affect women's ability to regulate sodium levels. But mild to moderate hyponatremia has more subtle effects that you or your healthcare provider may not even connect with an electrolyte problem. Hyponatremia can present with the following signs and symptoms:

Nausea, vomiting, and changes in appetite Headache Confusion Hallucinations
Loss of energy Fatigue Urinary incontinence Nervousness, restlessness and irritability, and other mood changes
Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps Seizures Unconsciousness Coma

Changes in mood and appetite are among the first noticeable manifestations of sodium deficiency, yet the cause is often missed. Yet, in order to stave off heart disease, the advice you are likely receiving is, "drink lots of water, exercise vigorously, and cut back on your salt." Talk about a setup for electrolyte disaster! There is evidence that low sodium levels can damage your health in other ways. Consider the following scientific studies:

A 2009 study of large-bone fractures in the elderly found the incidence of hyponatremia in patients with fractures was MORE THAN DOUBLE that of non-fracture patients. They postulated the reason for the sodium deficiency might have been the use of selective serotonin receptor inhibitors (SSRIs), a type of antidepressant drugs.
A 1995 study by the AMA, published in the journal Hypertension, found low urinary sodium associated with an increased risk of heart attack.

Twenty-Five Years of Scientific Evidence Fails to Show Any Benefit of a Low-Salt Diet

To help you access relevant research, I have assembled a chronological list of the main research studies about low-salt diets from the past three decades. As you will see from the table that follows, the benefits of low-salt diets have been quite "underwhelming" in the scientific literature.

J Chronic Dis 1987: The number of people who experience drops in blood pressure after eating high-salt diets almost equals the number who experience blood pressure spikes; many stay exactly the same.
Intersalt study, BMJ 1988: Conclusion: There is no relationship between sodium and hypertension; in fact, those who ate the most salt had a LOWER median blood pressure than those who ate the least salt.

DASH-sodium study, NEJM 1997: Conclusion: "A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods and with reduced saturated and total fat can substantially lower blood pressure. This diet offers an additional nutritional approach to preventing and treating hypertension." (Related Mercola article)

NHANES I, Lancet 1998: Conclusion: "These results do not support current recommendations for routine reduction of sodium consumption, nor do they justify advice to increase salt intake or to decrease its concentration in the diet." (Related Mercola article)

Cochrane review 2003: Conclusion: "There is little evidence for long-term benefit from reducing salt intake."

NHANES II, Am J Med 2006: Conclusion: Lower sodium diets led to HIGHER mortality rates among those with cardiovascular disease, which "raised questions regarding the likelihood of a survival advantage accompanying a lower sodium diet."

Rotterdam Study, Eur J Epidemiol 2007: Conclusion: "From this and other epidemiological studies we conclude th effect of dietary salt on clinical cardiovascular endpoints and overall mortality within the range of intake commonly observed in Western countries has not yet been established."

Clin Sci (Lond) 2008: Low-sodium diets result in WORSE clinical outcomes for people with congestive heart failure, due to "detrimental kidney and neurohormonal effects."

Cochrane review 2011: Conclusion: Cutting down on the amount of salt has no clear benefits in terms of likelihood of dying or experiencing cardiovascular disease.

Rotterdam Study, JBMR 2011: Conclusion: "Mild hyponatremia in the elderly is associated with an increased risk of vertebral fractures and incident nonvertebral fractures, but not with bone mineral density. Increased fracture risk in hyponatremia also was independent of recent falls, pointing toward a possible effect on bone quality."

JAMA 2011: Conclusion: "Systolic blood pressure, but not diastolic pressure, changes over time aligned with change in sodium excretion, but this association did NOT translate into a higher risk of hypertension or cardiovascular disease complications. Lower sodium excretion was associated with higher cardiovascular disease mortality."

Meta-Analysis AJH 2011: Conclusion: "Despite collating more event data than previous systematic reviews, there is still insufficient power to exclude clinically important effects of reduced dietary salt on mortality or cardiovascular disease morbidity."

The second to last study in the table above deserves some explanation. This recent study followed 3,681 middle-aged healthy Europeans for eight years. The participants were divided into three groups: low salt, moderate salt, and high salt consumption. Researchers tracked mortality rates for the three groups, with the following results:

Low-salt group: 50 people died
Moderate salt group: 24 people died
High-salt group: 10 people died

In fact, the risk for heart disease was 56 percent higher for the low-salt group than for the group who at the most salt. So the only reasonable conclusion the researchers could make was, the less salt you eat, the more likely you will die from heart disease. This absolutely flies in the face of conventional views.

In an article in Newswise, Dian Griesel, Ph.D., co-author of the book TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust, explains:

"The optimal level of salt in our diets has been a controversial subject for at least 20 years. There is no disagreement that high blood pressure (even moderately high) is a risk factor for heart disease and stroke. However, salt consumption does not seem to have the same effect on everyone. In addition, there is usually no distinction on the type of salt used."

He is absolutely right. All forms of salt are not equal.

Type of Salt Matters

Today's table salt has practically nothing in common with natural salt. One is health damaging, and the other is healing. Natural salt is 84 percent sodium chloride, and processed salt is 98 percent. So, what comprises the rest?

The remaining 16 percent of natural salt consists of other naturally occurring minerals, including trace minerals like silicon, phosphorous and vanadium. But the remaining two percent of processed salt is comprised of man-made chemicals, such as moisture absorbents, and a little added iodine.

You might be tempted to think "salt is salt," but even the structure of processed salt has been radically altered in the refining process. Refined salt is dried above 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, and this excessive heat alone alters the natural chemical structure of the salt. What remains after ordinary table salt is chemically "cleaned" is sodium chloride,

The processed salt is not pure sodium chloride but is only 97.5 percent sodium chloride and anticaking and flow agents are added to compromise about 2.5 percent. These are dangerous chemicals like ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate. Some European countries, where water fluoridation is not practiced, also add fluoride to table salt. In France, 35 percent of table salt sold contains either sodium fluoride or potassium fluoride and use of fluoridated salt is widespread in South America.

Salt as Nature Intended it: Himalayan Crystal Salt

The more you can move toward a diet of whole organic foods in their natural state, the healthier you'll be—whether it's veggies, meat, dairy products, or salt.

Given that salt is absolutely essential to good health, I recommend switching to a pure, unrefined salt. My favorite is an ancient, all-natural sea salt from the Himalayas.

Himalayan salt is very special. It is completely pure, having spent many thousands of years maturing under extreme tectonic pressure, far away from impurities, so it isn't polluted with the heavy metals and industrial toxins of today. And it's hand-mined, hand-washed, and minimally processed. Himalayan salt is only 85 percent sodium chloride, the remaining 15 percent contains 84 trace minerals from our prehistoric seas. These trace minerals are important for, among other things, good bone health, as explained by Dr. Robert Thompson in his book The Calcium Lie.

It's also the most delicious salt you'll ever find—so much so that I always caution people before they use it because once most people taste it, they have a very difficult time ever using conventional salt again. That is one of the reasons why so many gourmet chefs exclusively use this salt.

So, please, relax and salt your food to taste, provided the salt you're using is natural and unrefined. If you are exercising heavily, or in the middle of a heat wave, you may require more salt than on a cool day when you're relaxing. And remember, the more processed foods you consume, the higher your sodium will be, as it is hidden is just about everything that comes in a box or can. And of course, this is NOT the kind of salt your body needs.

So there you have it, the sodium myth debunked.

To learn even more about this and other health myths, sign up for the 2011 Weston A. Price conference, which will take place in Dallas, Texas, from November 11 to November 13. The conference will feature a long list of prominent health experts, including yours truly.

To sign up, please see the Weston A. Price conference page.

Sources:

Douglass Report
Time Healthland July 7, 2011
Time Healthland July 12, 2011
Scientific American July 8, 2011
Bloomberg Businessweek June 24, 2010
Int Urol Nephrol 2009
Hypertension June 1995
Biomedicine 1988
Mayo Clinic

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/20/salt-myth.aspx

al209
23-07-2013, 07:17 PM
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

In the 1950s, when the pharmaceutical industry was beginning to promote some new chemicals as diuretics to replace the traditional mercury compounds, Walter Kempner’s low-salt “rice diet” began to be discussed in the medical journals and other media. The diuretics were offered for treating high blood pressure, pulmonary edema, heart failure, “idiopathic edema,” orthostatic edema and obesity, and other forms of water retention, including pregnancy, and since they functioned by causing sodium to be excreted in the urine, their sale was accompanied by advising the patients to reduce their salt intake to make the diuretic more effective.

It was clear to some physicians (and to most veterinarians) that salt restriction, especially combined with salt-losing diuresis, was very harmful during pregnancy, but that combination became standard medical practice for many years, damaging millions of babies.

Despite numerous publications showing that diuretics could cause the edematous problems that they were supposed to remedy, they have been one of the most profitable types of drug. Dietary salt restriction has become a cultural cliché, largely as a consequence of the belief that sodium causes edema and hypertension.

Salt restriction, according to a review of about 100 studies (Alderman, 2004), lowers the blood pressure a few points. But that generally doesn’t relate to better health. In one study (3000 people, 4 years), there was a clear increase in mortality in the individuals who ate less salt. An extra few grams of salt per day was associated with a 36% reduction in “coronary events” (Alderman, et al., 1995). Another study (more than 11,000 people, 22 years) also showed an inverse relation between salt intake and mortality (Alderman, et al., 1997).

Tom Brewer, an obstetrician who devoted his career to educating the public about the importance of prenatal nutrition, emphasizing adequate protein (especially milk), calories, and salt, was largely responsible for the gradual abandonment of the low-salt plus diuretics treatment for pregnant women. He explained that sodium, in association with serum albumin, is essential for maintaining blood volume. Without adequate sodium, the serum albumin is unable to keep water from leaving the blood and entering the tissues. The tissues swell as the volume of blood is reduced......

Salt restriction to sell more diuretic drugs. Pharma at it again..:mad:

atredies
23-07-2013, 07:29 PM
On a normal day how much water is absorbed by the digestion system from
the food we eat vs. added fluids.?

If you eat a lot of vegetables and fruit then the needed extra water intake from fluids must surely be less than if you eat heavy dry foods.

The recommendation of drinking a certain number of cups of water a day
must be different depending of the diet right?

Water is good / water is bad / salt is good / salt is bad:
Keep the balance, pay attention to your body's needs, eat organic,
get most of your vitamins and minerals from natural food sources,
and don't let e few neurons in the reptile centre of the brain control what the hole body gets exposed to. :)

swamideva
23-07-2013, 07:30 PM
New MRI research reveals cancer cells thrive on processed sugar

(NaturalNews) Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, your dietary habits could be significantly adding to your risk of developing cancer. New research published in the journal Nature Medicine has confirmed that processed sugar is one of the primary driving forces behind the growth and spread of cancer tumors, so much so that the future of cancer screening could rely on scanning the body for sugar accumulation.

Scientists from University College London (UCL) in the U.K. made this discovery after experimenting with a new cancer detection method that involves utilizing a unique form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). After sensitizing an MRI scanner to look specifically for glucose in the body, it was revealed that cancer tumors, which feed off sugar, light up brightly as they contain high amounts of sugar.

“The new technique, called ‘glucose chemical exchange saturation transfer’ (glucoCEST), is based on the fact that tumors consume much more glucose (a type of sugar) than normal, healthy tissues in order to sustain their growth,” explains a recent UCL announcement, noting that tumors appear as “bright images” on MRI scans of mice.

Traditionally, cancer screenings have involved the use of low-dose radiation injections to identify the presence of tumors, which makes sense as radiation is another known cause of cancer. The things that trigger and promote cancer development and spread, in other words, can also be used by doctors to detect it inside the body. And now sugar can officially be added to this list.

“The method uses an injection of normal sugar and could offer a cheap, safe alternative to existing methods for detecting tumors, which require the injection of radioactive material,” says Dr. Simon Walker-Samuel, lead researcher of the study from the UCL Centre for Advanced Biomedical Imaging (CABI).

Interestingly, it was also noted by the study’s senior author that the amount of sugar in “half a standard sized chocolate bar” is all it takes to effectively identify the presence of tumors using the glucoCEST method. This is astounding, as it suggests that even relatively low amounts of sugar have the potential to promote cancer proliferation.

Many cancer tumors respond directly to insulin produced by sugar consumption

The UCL study is hardly the only one to have identified a connection between processed sugar consumption and diseases like cancer. Other research, including that being currently being conducted by Dr. Robert H. Lustig, M.D., a Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), confirms that the bulk of chronic illnesses prevalent today are caused by sugar consumption.

You can watch a presentation from Dr. Lustig entitled Sugar: The Bitter Truth here:http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

As far as cancer is concerned, hormones produced by the body in response to sugar consumption also feed cancer cells. This means that every time you down a soda or eat a piece of cake, your body produces certain chemicals that tell cancer cells to not only start taking up sugar, but also to grow in size and spread.

“What we’re beginning to learn is that insulin can cause adverse effects in various tissues, and a particular concern is cancer,” says Dr. Lewis Cantley, head of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) at Harvard University, as quoted during an interview with CBS’ 60 Minutes.

“If you happen to have a tumor that has insulin receptors on it, then it will get stimulated to take up the glucose that’s in the bloodstream,” he adds. “So rather than going to the fat or to the muscle, the glucose now goes into the tumor, and the tumor uses it to grow.”

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/041232_cancer_cells_processed_sugar_research.html

Source: Raw For Beauty
http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/07/natural-cures-not-medicine-on-facebook_22.html

Sources for this article include:

http://www.mdtmag.com

http://cancerdefeated.com

http://youtube.com

al209
23-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Thought this was a salt and water thread? Maybe you meant to post that in the fructose thread? I only wanted to ref that that part of the article was nonsense.

master x
23-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Let's face, in the wild most of your water would come from fruit. Occasionally throughout the day when you passed a river you'd have a drink. The water takes longer to absorb (how quickly does water on its own flush?) due to the fruit breaking down in your stomach, slowly hydrating you.

As for salt. I feel wrong in the brain without proper salt.

al209
23-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Let's face, in the wild most of your water would come from fruit. Occasionally throughout the day when you passed a river you'd have a drink. The water takes longer to absorb (how quickly does water on its own flush?) due to the fruit breaking down in your stomach, slowly hydrating you.

As for salt. I feel wrong in the brain without proper salt.

Ideally all your water would come from your food, and a significant portion does. That's why I think the blanket recommendation of 8 glasses or whatever is flawed. It doesn't take into account water from other sources or losses because of heat, exercise etc

piskavac
23-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Sometimes I get dehydrated but I am too lazy to get up and drink a glass of water.

At the moment I am dehidrated, but toooooo laaaazzzzzyyyy.