PDA

View Full Version : Why does Nicotine Patches give you bad dreams?

doubledrop
19-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Been on the patches through the week for the past two weeks now and the dreams I have been having are unreal. Some good some bad but all crazy (last night I was flying around on a fold up mini helicopter)

Just looked at the side effects and it lists abnormal dreams but doesn't go into details, I'm wondering how the patches cause this.

Any idea's?

size_of_light
19-01-2011, 01:51 AM
I love nicotine dreams. Some of the most awe-inspiring spiritual experiences I've ever had have happened when I've been meditating regularly and also wearing the patches at night.

Here's what a poster on the naked scientists forum had to say:

nicotine increases neurotransmission in the brain, giving you more pleasure (or somthing like that)so maybe this is increased whilst you are asleep and you are more susceptible and / or suggestible to those dreams.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=9551

doubledrop
19-01-2011, 09:10 AM
I love nicotine dreams. Some of the most awe-inspiring spiritual experiences I've ever had have happened when I've been meditating regularly and also wearing the patches at night.

Here's what a poster on the naked scientists forum had to say:

Thanks for posting. My dreams aren't spiritual in the slightest sadly, just crazy as hell.

knightofthegrail
19-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Nicotene is a stimulant isnt it?

sweeping_meteor
19-01-2011, 09:25 AM
if u smoked the whole time u were asleep ud have bad dreams too. its because the nicotine is being released into ur blood stream constantly. u should download "allan carrs the easy way to stop smoking"
it worked wonders for my sister and brother in law

ben10
19-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Why on earth are you trying to stop smoking? If you smoke cigarettes then change to tobacco, it's these processed fags that are bad for you (they don't really have any tobacco in them) but hand rolling tobacco is good for you, full of essential vitamins.

doubledrop
19-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Why on earth are you trying to stop smoking? If you smoke cigarettes then change to tobacco, it's these processed fags that are bad for you (they don't really have any tobacco in them) but hand rolling tobacco is good for you, full of essential vitamins.

I am 29 and I have the lungs of a 70 year old, I was diagnosed with Asthma about 6 months ago and I want to be able to breathe properly.

I've never heard of Tobacco full of essential vitamins, are you sure about that?

sweeping_meteor
19-01-2011, 09:45 AM

hope ur being sarcasstic. smoking is a complete and utter waste of time!!!
the only reason people smoke their next cigarette is because they didnt have the will power to not smoke their last cigarette.

give it up and as soona s u can.

jus keep the money u dont spent on cigs in a jar for a few weeks and see how much ul save!

sweeping_meteor
19-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I've never heard of Tobacco full of essential vitamins, are you sure about that?

if u count tar as a vitamin

doubledrop
19-01-2011, 09:59 AM
hope ur being sarcasstic. smoking is a complete and utter waste of time!!!
the only reason people smoke their next cigarette is because they didnt have the will power to not smoke their last cigarette.

give it up and as soona s u can.

jus keep the money u dont spent on cigs in a jar for a few weeks and see how much ul save!

there is a charity shop by my work and I have been going in and buying 3 records for a quid each. That way I spending the the money I would usually spend on fags on something I love

passing
19-01-2011, 10:05 AM
You're not supposed to wear them through the night :D

Sorry if I misunderstood...

ben10
19-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I am 29 and I have the lungs of a 70 year old, I was diagnosed with Asthma about 6 months ago and I want to be able to breathe properly.

Rolling tobacco is good, cigarettes are bad. Have you been putting dope or grass your fags? that could be the reason for your lung problems. See grass burns at a higher temperature that tobacco and therefore hurts your lungs more.

doubledrop
19-01-2011, 10:14 AM
You're not supposed to wear them through the night :D

Sorry if I misunderstood...

It says on the packet to wear them for 24 hours.

ben10 - yes but only at weekends now.

passing
19-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Wow, well they're different from the ones I used.

Personally, I'd just take it off before bed.

Although I still smoke, after about five attempts to give up, I'd recommend the nicotine pills over the patches. But people differ... good luck! (good willpower!)

admajic
19-01-2011, 10:30 AM

ben10 - yes but only at weekends now.

You can take them off during the nite. They obviously want you so addicted to nicotine you either go back on the smokes or have to continue using patches for the rest of your under the nicotine thumb life.

Best thing. Stp cold turkey. Be cranky. Be sad. Pull out your hair. But after a few days it gets easier. If you really really really want to stop you can do anything!! But stop taking nicotine! Ive been struggleing for years now to stop and have even managed 3 to 6 months with only smoking a few here and there.
I read Allan Carrs book it really helped. Sadly he recently died from lung cancer.

So set the date and do it.... I know I will. You do to...

blue2
19-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I've never understood the logic of giving silly nicotine patches containing smilar nasty chemical as in cigarettes except this is likely synthetic toxic rubbish anything that comes off the backs of Dr's and Chemists is.

Go get some Colonic Irrigations to clear the poisons out of your body and do some very serious raw juicing, seriously is only way to rid body of toxins quickly but don't stop at one as it takes a few to get sorted with the black tarry stuff that must come away, like about 4 litres daily of juicing too, and no meats or breads or any processed junk foods or sugar, to get some decent stuff into your tissues and brain...ionic minerals is what your body needs..also to aid in detoxing processes and drink lots Evian.

Coffee and Tea are toxins too, i wonder also if the nightmares maybe associated with thyroid being attacked by these patches and your cells ageing and being blocked up with nasty stuff.

allure
19-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Yea you keep telling yourself that mate. There's not as much chemicals in hand rolled cigarettes, but they are still BAD for you. I rolled my own when I smoked, for 14 years, they fucked my lungs up. I quit almost a year ago now, cold turkey, which is how I would recommend quitting.

newworldengineer
19-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Rolling tobacco is good, cigarettes are bad. Have you been putting dope or grass your fags? that could be the reason for your lung problems. See grass burns at a higher temperature that tobacco and therefore hurts your lungs more.

grass or THC is actually good at reducing Lung cancer as a matter of fact, so I'd say if you wanna smoke anything (which is where my addiction lies, I just love the act of smoking it's great!) You should probably just smoke marijuana, or better yet, use it in a vapourizer :cool:

alison
19-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I gave up smoking 3 years ago, I am now addicted to nicoteen micro tabs, I take way above the recommended dose and its getting worse, please dont give me a list of all the bad things that are happening to me, it will scare me. I know they are seriously affecting my health. I dont know how to stop.:(

passing
19-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I gave up smoking 3 years ago, I am now addicted to nicoteen micro tabs, I take way above the recommended dose and its getting worse, please dont give me a list of all the bad things that are happening to me, it will scare me. I know they are seriously affecting my health. I dont know how to stop.:(

Have you been on the micro-tabs for three years? :eek:

I gave up once with patches and was off nicotine completely after that for about three months... then I found myself in a pub garden on a sunny day...

alison
19-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Have you been on the micro-tabs for three years? :eek:

I gave up once with patches and was off nicotine completely after that for about three months... then I found myself in a pub garden on a sunny day...

yes :(

passing
19-01-2011, 03:16 PM
yes :(

Wow. I don't know what to say, except I know I'd have gone back to the baccy by now. (Which is probably not helpful).

I guess you've lowered your dosage?

alison
19-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow. I don't know what to say, except I know I'd have gone back to the baccy by now. (Which is probably not helpful).

I guess you've lowered your dosage?

No, its getting higher!! LOL???

sweeping_meteor
19-01-2011, 03:21 PM

u shud really download allan carrs easy way to stop smoking.. its informative without bing preachy.

weather its gum, cigarettes, tabs or watever they are just a nicotine delivery system.

it couldnt hurt to watch it

alison
19-01-2011, 03:23 PM
u shud really download allan carrs easy way to stop smoking.. its informative without bing preachy.

weather its gum, cigarettes, tabs or watever they are just a nicotine delivery system.

it couldnt hurt to watch it

ok :)

Ps LOVE your signiture!!!

dalem
19-01-2011, 03:23 PM
but hand rolling tobacco is good for you, full of essential vitamins.
You are obviously out of your mind on something other than tobacco.

sweeping_meteor
19-01-2011, 03:33 PM
ok :)

ps love your signiture!!!
:D

allure
19-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Stop acquiring and consuming the tabs. The only way to stop doing something, quite simply, is to stop doing it. It IS as easy as that.

That's why I stopped smoking cold turkey, I felt that using any devices to help me stop would have been subconsciously giving the addiction more power, it's like telling myself that I can't do it without help. I could, I did, you can.

Smoking looks cool and has a social element, popping silly nicotine tablets is the opposite. Just stop.

passing
19-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Smoking looks cool and has a social element, popping silly nicotine tablets is the opposite. Just stop.

Perhaps anyone can 'just stop'. But the question is: for how long?

alison
19-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Stop acquiring and consuming the tabs. The only way to stop doing something, quite simply, is to stop doing it. It IS as easy as that.

That's why I stopped smoking cold turkey, I felt that using any devices to help me stop would have been subconsciously giving the addiction more power, it's like telling myself that I can't do it without help. I could, I did, you can.

Good for you

Funny I never thought of stopping taking the tablets , thanx I will try that!

allure
19-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Perhaps anyone can 'just stop'. But the question is: for how long?

10 months so far for me, and I am absolutely done with smoking for the rest of my life. It was easy to stop. I smoked about 30 a day for 14 years, then one morning decided to stop and did so that very second, I still have tobacco, skins and everything left over, about half a pouch of tobacco sitting in a drawer in my bedroom, I live alone, I could smoke and nobody would ever know. haven't done.

I'm not saying this as a 'oh aren't I really brilliant', I'm saying this to encourage those who are falsely convincing themselves that it is difficult and they can't do it. It's easy to stop, well, once you actually really want to that is.

Good for you

Funny I never thought of stopping taking the tablets , thanx I will try that!

Congratulations on your sarcasm, I hope it made you feel good.

passing
19-01-2011, 04:24 PM
10 months so far for me, and I am absolutely done with smoking for the rest of my life. It was easy to stop. I smoked about 30 a day for 14 years, then one morning decided to stop and did so that very second, I still have tobacco, skins and everything left over, about half a pouch of tobacco sitting in a drawer in my bedroom, I live alone, I could smoke and nobody would ever know. haven't done.

I'm not saying this as a 'oh aren't I really brilliant', I'm saying this to encourage those who are falsely convincing themselves that it is difficult and they can't do it. It's easy to stop, well, once you actually really want to that is.

I can only suppose that you are more single-minded than me. Which seems borne out by our posts on this forum, I think.

I agree it's about really wanting to stop.

godgoo
20-01-2011, 12:14 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5500/73667191.png

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/QuickGO/GTerm?id=GO:0071340#info=2&term=anctable

Acetylcholine

Snake venom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:)

Acetylcholine is one of many neurotransmitters in the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and the only neurotransmitter used in the motor division of the somatic nervous system. (Sensory neurons use glutamate and various peptides at their synapses.) Acetylcholine is also the principal neurotransmitter in all autonomic ganglia.

Pathways
There are three ACh pathways in the CNS.[citation needed]
Pons to thalamus and cortex
Magnocellular forebrain nucleus to cortex
Septohippocampal

alison
20-01-2011, 12:21 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5500/73667191.png

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/QuickGO/GTerm?id=GO:0071340#info=2&term=anctable

Acetylcholine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_venom
:)

Godgoo.... should i look at this? is it good or bad for an adictee???
please remember I have to try to sleep soon. If its bad just tell me to stop taking them immediately and I wont look :eek:

godgoo
20-01-2011, 12:32 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Structure/mmdb/mmdbsrv.cgi?uid=32169

godgoo
20-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Godgoo.... should i look at this? is it good or bad for an adictee???
please remember I have to try to sleep soon. If its bad just tell me to stop taking them immediately and I wont look :eek:

Those patches are feeding the R complex full of sympathetic residues :) Maybe you should quit?? Or cut down :) hehuh

godgoo
20-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Those patches are feeding the R complex full of sympathetic residues :) Maybe you should quit?? Or cut down :) hehuh

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Acethylcholine_receptor_blocked_by_cobra_venom.png

Acetylcholine receptor blocked by cobra venom (PDB code: 1yi5). A similar effect can be achieved by high doses of curare or nicotine [7]

Should have posted this in the Reppie's Section :)

newworldengineer
20-01-2011, 05:58 AM
awww man, since coming on this thread I am getting shitloads of nicorette and anti-smoking google ads appear above the thread! lol :p