PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE - Himilayan Pink Salt SCAM !

dalem
09-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Beware your Himilayan Pink Salt probably came from a mine in Pakistan and contains large ammounts of Flouride and Bromide. In the table at the bottom you can clearly see that it contains over 4 Grams of Bromide per Kilogram

My advice is to get your own analysis done on your pink salt before you take any more.

FROM PFPC, the premiere fluoride information site.

Over the last few years a new scam has emerged in Europe which is rapidly spreading across the world.

It involves ordinary rock salt from the “salt range” in Pakistan being marketed as luxurious and healing “Himalaya Salt”.

It is also sold as “Himalayan Crystal Salt”, “Hunza-Kristallsalz” or natural “Kristallsalz”, “VitaSal”, “AromaLife”, etc..

The scam is currently being introduced in India and the United States.

It will result in very high overall fluoride intake in anyone who follows the various “therapy recommendations”.

What happened?

During the late 1990s recordings started to appear in Germany, featuring a monologue by a self-proclaimed “biophysicist” named Peter Ferreira.

The monologue centered around the “marvelous healing energies” of “Himalaya Salt” (Himalaya Salz) and “living waters” (Lebendiges Wasser) -> mineral or springwaters (“Quellwasser”).

This special salt was allegedly coming from the high mountain regions of the Himalayas, “untouched by human contamination”, containing “84 elements essential to human health”. The tape was copied and passed on by thousands.

The salt was sold at a price much higher than ordinary salt, up to 200 times as much. It was common to see it being sold for 24 Euros per kilogram.

Lectures were organized and a video called “Water & Salt” (“Wasser & Salz”) was shown to packed houses (Zeit & Geist, 2002). A book with the title “Water & Salt - Essence of Life” by Peter Ferreira and Dr. med. Barbara Hendel became a runaway bestseller in 2002 - simply by word of mouth, even spawning a glossy magazine with the same title. [The book is currently being translated into English and slated for release in the US.]

Within months “Himalaya Salt” became all the rage in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, quickly spreading to Denmark, Holland and other European countries.

The European alternative health industry was quick to jump on the bandwagon and an article on “Himalaya Salt” praising its superior qualities to conventional salt became the most-read article on the German site of “Alternative Health” (“Alternative Gesundheit).

“Himalaya Salt” sales are consistently in the Top 10 of “alternative health products”.

Originally marketed on the Internet, there are now countless varieties of products containing “Himalaya Salt” available, including herbal salts, bath salts, facial masks, cosmetic lines, as well as salt lamps and tealights.

Many international websites can now be found praising and selling this “Elixir of Live”, “Fountain of Youth”, or “salt of life”.

The salt comes as fine salt to be used for cooking, or as salt crystals or blocks of salt, to be used for daily “sole” drinks and baths, oral rinses, eye baths, and inhalation therapy.

In addition, the salt is marketed extensively for other uses, and there are now tealights or “salt lamps” (used as natural “ionizers”), a complete cosmetic line including soaps, facial sprays, body lotions, “peeling” lotions, hand creams, steam bath aids, sauna aids, bath salts with rose petals, and shower gels.

Fluoride & Iodine

Ironically, “Water & Salt” proclaimed that iodine and fluoride are “highly toxic” and should never be added to cooking salt (August 4, 2002). This statement immediately seemed odd to a sceptic, as both “toxins”, fluoride and iodine, were also listed among the salt’s “84 natural elements essential for the body”. LINK

The fluoride/iodine issue nevertheless became a cornerstone in the promotional campaign. Valuable books on the un-wanted effects of fluoride (Ziegelbecker) and iodine supplementation (Braunschweig-Pauli) were found in the on-line bookstore of “Wasser & Salz”.

However, W&S failed to inform the public that this very same “Himalaya Salt” may easily possess more fluoride than conventional, artificially fluoridated salt.

Numerous analyses which had been posted on the web by AromaLife AG itself (Switzerland’s biggest distributor of “Himalaya Salt”) - to show that it complied with CODEX regulations - showed this clearly. (TABLE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE).

Fluoride in Mineral Water

In addition, the “Water & Salt” people also started to recommend mineral waters which qualified as “living waters”, and handed out “Seals of Quality”.

One such water, Artesia received this recommendation, although containing 1.02 ppm of fluoride - a fact which is aggressively marketed by the company which firmly believes in the proclaimed “fluoride benefits”.

Origin of “Himalaya Salt”

It is claimed that the “magic salt” is coming from the Karakorum (Ferreira, 2002). However, as pointed out by the group TourismWatch (No.28 and No.30) there is no salt mine to be found anywhere in this Himalayan region. Most of the salt was coming from the second largest salt mine in the world, in Pakistan.

After the boom began, it was found that even ordinary road salt was being sold as “Himalaya Salt” by ruthless opportunists.

Public Health Response

The responses by the Public Health Departments in Switzerland and Germany have been on the verge of the comical.

The Swiss “Fluor-und Jodkommission” warned the public against the scam and issued statements of concern about the influx of imported specialty salts such as “Himalaya Salt”.

In 2001, the SEV warned that under no circumstances could this salt “without fluoride and iodine” ever substitute for the Swiss salt.

At no point did it apparently occur to the health agencies to conduct their own analyses on the product!

Applications:

Cooking/Baking

Not only is “Himalaya Salt” marketed as the best alternative to conventional cooking salt - and to be used in all cooking and baking as well as table use - it is also to be sprinkled onto already prepared foods.

New varieties of herbal salts are also now available.

Every morning a teaspoon - sometimes more - of a 26% “sole” solution is added to a glass of mineral water and routinely drunk by millions.

Topical Applications

Salt - Baths

As one of the “best applications” people are advised to bath with this salt once a week, or with “moon baths” during new and full moons. 1 to 1.5 kg is added to 80 - 100 liters of water. Temperature is to be between 35 and 37 degrees celsius for a length of a minumum of 15 to 20 minutes (up to 2 - 3 hours!). At 1 kg in 100 liters, and at a fluoride content of 300 ppm, this is the same as bathing in water fluoridated at 3 ppm.

Not much different than the fluoridated baths which were used with great success by Gorlitzer von Mundy in the treatment of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism (Jod Basedow) for over 30 years!

In addition, people are advised to bath their feet in a 10% salt/water solution, which results bathing the feet in water with a fluoride content of 30 ppm.

Personal Care Products

Daily topical fluoride intake is assured by use of the cosmetic line which includes soaps, facial sprays, body lotions, hand creams, shampoos, steam bath aids, sauna aids, bath salts with rose petals, and shower gels. Complete cosmetic lines are now offered by Aromalife, as well as “Wasser und Salz”.

Inhalation

People with asthma and like-conditions are advised by “health trainers” to add a little “Himalaya Salt” (10%!) to hot water and to inhale this concoction for 10 to 15 minutes with a covered head, three times a day.

Oral Health

People are advised to use this salt for toothbrushing.

One will get “white teeth” and the “dental enamel gets dissolved”, it is claimed...!

Of course it is also advised to rinse the mouth with the same sole which is drunk in the morning.

One is reminded of the incredible feat by Mr. “Dead Doctors Don’t Lie” Dr. Wallach and associated independent distributors who have managed to con people into believing that the “All Natural Tooth Gel” is a “safe natural alternative to fluoride toothpaste”, although the actual label on the toothpaste specifies sodium fluoride as ingredient!

Rainer Neuhaus
PFPC Germany

The table below is from a German site but you can clearly see the ammount of Flouride and Bromine. It also contains Cadmium, Lead,

in mg or g per Kg:

Natrium 460.10 g

Chlorid 520.50 g

Kalium 1510.00 mg

Calcium 1750.00 mg

Magnesium 18200.00 mg

Ammonium 430.00 mg

Eisen 65.39 mg

Mangan 102.04 mg

Strontium 17.10 mg

Barium 1.79 mg

Arsen 0.41 mg

Blei (lead) 1.09 mg

Cadmium 0.03 mg

Chrom 0.91 mg

Selen 2.17 mg

Zink 14.18 mg

Kupfer 5.18 mg

Fluoride 231.00 mg

Bromid 4010.00 mg

Jodid 0.80 mg

Sulfat 610.00 mg

Sulfide 9.10 mg

Hydrogenphosphat 8.90 mg

Hydrogencarbonat 15100.00 mg

Kieselsäure 140.00 mg

eternal_spirit
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
:(

xeon
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Glad I didn't buy this.

dalem
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Glad I didn't buy this.
I bought mine a couple of days ago and started drinking 'Sole' every morning.
I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and returning it.
I am just glad that I found out about this sooner rather than later.

xeon
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I bought mine a couple of days ago and started drinking 'Sole' every morning.
I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and returning it.
I am just glad that I found out about this sooner rather than later.

I was intrigued by Himalayan Salt a couple of years ago, but I felt a little suspicious when the label did not give much info on the "trace minerals" and other "elements." After that I forgot about it. I remember there was a buzz about it during the 1990s as well.

Thanks for posting about it.

ps: Hope you get a refund.

blackster
09-05-2010, 06:02 PM
FFS something else that is supposed to be good for you found to be a scam and tampered with by the looks of it :mad::(

I was going to get some because i read somewhere you could re-mineralise distilled water with it :( fookin hell now i'll have to look for an alternative. Anyone got any ideas of how you would go about re-mineralising distilled water, as i have read it leeches minerals from your body, or better question can you actually re-mineralise distilled water ?? lol :confused:

Also i have heard distilled water is more acidic, can it be made more alakline, i think i have seen somewhere on this forum, that by adding fresh lemon to it makes it more alkaline ?? Sorry for all the questions OP, i'm new to all this health stuff.

FUCKIN NWO WANKERS :mad:

I would love them twats to be forced to eat/drink all the toxic shite, they expect us to eat/drink :D

I'm getting sick of having to check what is good and what is bad for us lately, the wankers are tampering with everything arn't they :mad:

dalem
09-05-2010, 06:28 PM
FFS something else that is supposed to be good for you found to be a scam and tampered with by the looks of it :mad::(

I was going to get some because i read somewhere you could re-mineralise distilled water with it :( fookin hell now i'll have to look for an alternative. Anyone got any ideas of how you would go about re-mineralising distilled water, as i have read it leeches minerals from your body, or better question can you actually re-mineralise distilled water ?? lol :confused:

Also i have heard distilled water is more acidic, can it be made more alakline, i think i have seen somewhere on this forum, that by adding fresh lemon to it makes it more alkaline ?? Sorry for all the questions OP, i'm new to all this health stuff.

FUCKIN NWO WANKERS :mad:

I would love them twats to be forced to eat/drink all the toxic shite, they expect us to eat/drink :D

I'm getting sick of having to check what is good and what is bad for us lately, the wankers are tampering with everything arn't they :mad:

Yeah sorry to bring it to the forum.
I bought mine a couple of days ago and got a bit disturbed when I looked at the label.
Absolutely no contents listed, I have contacted the supplier who supplied my local health shop but as you can guess No Answer from them.
It is a complete scam and a farce, people have been taking this salt for years thinking it is doing them good when in fact is is detrimental to their health.
I'll check out your questions on distilled water and get back to you.

thirty3
09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
so does anyone know of a reliable source for himalayan salt (genuine )

freedom1st
09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
so does anyone know of a reliable source for himalayan salt (genuine )

Well I get mine from the Apricot Shop (advertised on this forum). I do hope they haven't been selling me some fake shit!

thirty3
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I just re-read the OP am I right in thinking what you are saying is there is not such thing as himalyan salt if it has no salt mines....lol. So is there any decent salt to be had.

relax
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I bought a shitload of it a while back, kind of been using it as a salt lick, works great for me, tingling chakras, this info doesnt resonate with me.

dalem
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I just re-read the OP am I right in thinking what you are saying is there is not such thing as himalyan salt if it has no salt mines....lol. So is there any decent salt to be had.

The only true test of this salt is to get it analyzed privately. I am going to ask my local university to take a look at the chemical/mineral content of it.
I really don't think there is a genuine Himilayan salt well, not that is good for you like they claim.
This is a quote fro Wikipedia but there is a lot of other info on the web.

Himalayan salt is a marketing term for rock salt from Pakistan, which began being sold by various companies in Europe, North America, and Australia in the early 21st century. It is mined in the Khewra Salt Mines, the second largest salt mine in the world, located in Khewra, Jhelum District, Punjab, Pakistan, about 300 km from the Himalayas, about 160 kilometres from Islamabad, and 260 kilometres from Lahore, and in the foothills of the Salt Range.

In 2003 the Bavarian consumer protection agency Bayerisches Landesamt für Gesundheit und Lebensmittelsicherheit analyzed 15 specimens of Himalaya salt sold in Germany and could detect a total of 10 different minerals: sodium and chloride (98%) and other minerals. This agency states that these salts come from Pakistan and can, like all salts, cause hypertension (high blood pressure). German public television broadcaster ZDF presented the analyzed chemical composition of Himalaya-salt who states that the specimen contained 95-96% sodium chloride that was contaminated with 2-3% polyhalite (gypsum) and small amounts of 10 other different minerals.

blackster
10-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah sorry to bring it to the forum.
I bought mine a couple of days ago and got a bit disturbed when I looked at the label.
Absolutely no contents listed, I have contacted the supplier who supplied my local health shop but as you can guess No Answer from them.
It is a complete scam and a farce, people have been taking this salt for years thinking it is doing them good when in fact is is detrimental to their health.
I'll check out your questions on distilled water and get back to you.

Thank you dalem for bringing it to our attention :)
and i'm sorry about the dodgy fuckers supplying your health shop with shite, it makes you wonder if there really is any such thing as genuine Himilayen salt doesn't it :(

any advice on distilled water will be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

indigowarrior
10-05-2010, 02:07 AM
OP your original article you posted had a lot of responses; for example;

from
http://naturalhealthnews.blogspot.com/2008/01/salt-may-be-health-scam.html

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? That article is so POORLY referenced as to be considered a FRAUD or even a "hit piece" by the medical establishment, if I didn't know better. I think it's really just plain ignorance, actually.

Where does the article make reference to the different kinds of fluoride? It DOESN'T. So, it's very poorly referenced.

Where does it discriminate between the many fake "Himalayan Salts" from the original HCS which was the only one tested to have over 84 ionic minerals and trace elements versus the one with 25 minerals that is referenced?

That is clearly CRAP SALT they analyzed. It doesn't get clearer than that.

And, it's good to discriminate to make sure one isn't eating crap salt, as the article is correct in observing there are a lot of salts claiming to be Himalayan that are inferior. But, to say that ALL are inferior, is simply incorrect. The one that started it all and that was researched by Peter Ferreira is safe and healthy and has no add *sodium* fluoride, which is harmful. Only naturally occurring *calcium* fluoride which, if you read Wikipedia, is "considered relatively harmless due to its extreme insolubility."

To lump the original Himalayan Crystal Salt (which everyone is trying to claim is "theirs") into the same category as other "Himalayan Salt" (aka CRAP rock salt), is like comparing a Ferrari to a Volkswagen. There's no comparison.

This article is so POORLY referenced, with a lot of inaccurate information. Referring to it as a legitimate piece of research, to me, really draws into question the intelligence of those referring to it as a balanced, accurate and well-reasoned piece of research. It's not. It is ignorant at best, slanderous at worst. This is how legitimately GOOD health products get banned or controlled by the FDA. Unless you like throwing your health choices out the window, I suggest you DISCRIMINATE a little better and stop jumping on bandwagons as they pass you by.

I'm very health-conscious and I don't use fluoride toothpaste, but I will definitely continue to use my *Original* Himalayan Crystal Salt from the one company that started it all and whose product has yet to be matched by anyone, including "Celtic" sea salt: www.himalayancrystalsalt.com

It would appear that whoever said this, "and I love how the other comments are all from folks worried about their massive profit margins disappearing :)" would love to think I'm somehow profiting off HCS for posting this information, but I'm just a very satisfied user of their products and I've done my homework. You have not. Learn the difference in the fluorides. Learn the difference between the types of so-called "Himalayan Salt", and discriminate to separate the fact from the fiction, which that article clearly represents.

I can excuse ignorance, but not stupidity, which is what it becomes when one is exposed to the facts, yet then chooses to ignore them. "

gnosis_dub
10-05-2010, 04:03 AM
I would still believe Himilayan Pakistan salt is still good for you.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm :)

debate on H. Salt @ above top secret :cool:: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread565596/pg1

I would suggest the Bolivian salt as a top alternative. It is rich in minerals and flavor and similar to Himilayan salt. :D

Bolivin Rose salt
http://www.therosesalt.com/

Other Alternatives:

Kala_Namak - The original Himalayan salt from India, although I would warn you, it is said to have a strong ordor and possible flavor of rotten eggs (probably from the sulfur content).
Kala Namak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kala Namak Salt- Organic Salt 6 oz Jar: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t4Al%2B7L9L.@@AMEPARAM@@51t4Al%2B7L9L

INCA sun salt
http://www.weissenbruch-salz-collection.com/index.php?GUID=27&PHPSESSID=1a680b6ebdea8d1280234176ea7bdc1b

Hawiian salt
Alaea
http://www.saltworks.us/alaea.html

Celtic Sea salt
http://www.healthfree.com/celtic_sea_salt.html

dalem
10-05-2010, 10:49 AM

from

That's not where my article came from, but anyway you forgot to include these two articles. From, guess what anonymous.......
How convenient.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! This post must really hit the mark, because it looks like someone (posting as lots of different "anonymous" posts) is really trying to make it look bad... real people just don't have this strong reactions to some voicing misgivings about a new product... most of these comments are obviously fabricated by the Himalayan Crystal Salt marketing people... very sad!
3:22 PM
Anonymous said...

There's no need to look for scientific analysis of this salt to be skeptical of it's virtues. Here are some claims from the description of this salt I have open right now (not in English): salt's energetic vibrations correspond to the energetic vibrations in human cells; each of the particles of the salt includes solar energy in the form of biophotons, salt includes 84 chemical elements that correspond to 84 elements in our blood. And so on… Find me a physicist or chemist who would sign under these claims…. And other descriptions I have found look very similar. People, who believe crap like this simply behave irrationally. It is astounding how we, being so unaware and skeptical of science in general, are so easily persuaded by a couple of scientifically sounding claims. It‘s just sad, simple as that.

dalem
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't mind anyone who doubts my post or has other concerns about it but, show me a packet of Himilayan Salt that clearly shows the ingredients. !!! It is required by EU law to show the ingredients.

EU laws states that:

Ingredients - All ingredients of the food must be stated under the heading 'Ingredients' and must be stated in descending order of weight. Moreover, certain ingredients such as preservatives must be identified as such by the label ‘Preservatives’, a specific name, e.g. "sodium nitrite", and the corresponding European registration number colloquially known as an "E number", e.g. "E250".

Place of Origin - The food is required to specify its place of origin, especially if the name or trademark is misleading - such as if the product is called ‘English Brie Cheese’ when it is produced in France.

blue2
10-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Are we talking Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt? I've used it for years with no ill effects whatsoever and taste is mile superior to any other salt. Always bought mine from www.detoxyourworld.com

There are always people out there trying to destroy peoples alternative natural choices. Because it is a challenge to the monster poisoned food industry that is provided in Supermarket Giants.

Supposing i have my salt then i eat some Walkers salted crisps within minutes my oesophagus is burning but not so with my Himalayan Pink salt. My blood pressure is perfect for my age too. After using pink salt for years i find the taste of other processed salts awful.

There is a world of difference between the artificial Fluoride coming through your tap water and in food and cosmetics chains, and naturally ocurring. Artifical fluoride is a By Product of the Petro Chemical Industry. You have it in your Tea Bags with bleaches also-so if you make a mug of ordinary tea with unfiltered 'normal' tap water you are consuming high quantities of Fluoride,it's the cumulative effects. Look on Thyroid UK see if they have Fluoride on there certainly it is on Thyroid Tears site. Maybe on Thyroid Patient Advocacy too. Artificial fluoride is causing fluorosis to bones.It is thyroid receptor antagonist.

We absolutely need Salt but the right type not the shite bought in shops.....heavily processed. If you have ever gotten sodium deficient you would know about it i can assure you because you would be very sleepy...it happened to me when it was the 'fashion' to not have salt in the 80's-yes we have fashions come about just as with medical establishment have fashions in different decades just like the fashion industry comes and goes in circles until it come full circle again and it is contradicted. I cooked with lemon juice to offset no taste of salt in cooking saying boiling veges..soon became ill and drowsy so had a blood test and yes it was sodium deficient so i had to begin again....but knew nothing back then of Pink Himalayan salt. Always gonna be scare mongerings about everything in life.

I shall contact Detoxyourworld about this and see what they say.

blue2
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Gnosis - the salt having the rotten egg smell is BLACK SALT.:)

dalem
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Are we talking Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt? I've used it for years with no ill effects whatsoever and taste is mile superior to any other salt. Always bought mine from www.detoxyourworld.com

I am certainly not trying to "destroy peoples alternative natural choices" or as you so eloquently put it "scare mongerings". :)

Like you and most other people on forum I want good health from good sources of nutrients.

Does your salt labeling have a list of ingredients and ammounts ? I imagine not, it is only described as Himilayan Salt......it makes me very suspect why ingredients are not included in packaging. If it does could you post it here please?

I have contacted many suppliers, health food shops and even importers and not one can tell me the ingredients of their salts.
Really, should we be consuming products that are only claimed to "contain all these nutrients" as health concious individuals we need proof.

Would you buy any product from your local supermarket that had no contents on the label, I think not.

My only choice now is to pay and have the salt I purchased analyzed by a professional laboratory. The results of which I will post here in due course.

As for the comments about Thyroid you are absolutely right and it is one of my main concerns as is pointed out on the threads about Iodine.

dalem
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Gnosis - the salt having the rotten egg smell is BLACK SALT.:)

Holy S###
are we talking black magic here :):)

Source: Wiki

Black ritual salt, a colored salt used in certain occult practices

blue2
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Well i've got some and it states-also known as Kala Namak. Unrefined black salt is made from himalayan crystal rock using an ancient method. It does smell like sulphur-but then sulphur is good for you! I shall have to get my old Spell book out then!!

blue2
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Gnosis i did not mean you specifically was scare mongering but i meant where you got your info from. Wiki can also get info wrong too although some is correct.

The reason behind having to list ingredients you can liken to precription medicines to need licence to prescribe the poisons or to sell the poisoned meats and processed foods cos of allergies- as human body's shouldn't have these substances-it covers legal bills i guess and anyone trying to challenge.

I have multiple chem sensitivities and know what suits me and what makes me ill this is why i sourced to best of my knowledge for me what doesn't make me feel ill. I've signed many a petition for protecting the herbal and natural medicines cos that is what i find is good for me but not what you buy on shelves of shops. Funny i've never felt ill-er from any natural as next to nature as you can get foods and supplements. But eat any supermarket foods and prescription medicines and i would be very ill indeed.

pacoquerak
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
the fluoride in the salt is natural, not artificially produced and there is far more calcium in the salt, so it is not dangerous nor bad for you.

It's important as always not to use too much salt though!

dalem
10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
the fluoride in the salt is natural, not artificially produced and there is far more calcium in the salt, so it is not dangerous nor bad for you.

Do you have a list of ingredients on your salt packet, if yes could you post them on here.

kiwimaj
10-05-2010, 06:59 PM
If you eat a mainly raw, vegan diet, you do not actually need to add any salt...you will find that it's only with cooked food that salt is added, (because when you cook food you are 'cooking' all of the salt and natural enzymes out of the food, so you need to add salt back in..) by the tv chefs and in recipes...you will find that if you eat, say a salad, you don't need to add salt...enuf in the leaves, toms, cucs, etc...

Another reason to go raw...:)

alexc
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Who the hell buys PINK salt??

coco
12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Dalem,

Thank you for the information. It was some months back I was investigating salt lamps. The Himalayan salt lamps seemed especially touted as beneficial. Never bought though, just put it on the back burner as something to think about.

ladygoogoo
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
OP wow thanks for headsup. I see this for sale at high prices in shops
in east coast US all the time.
It's so "pretty"
pretty with a skull and crossbones more like.
Wow the NWO must be loling all the way to the bank with this one.
Let's give 'em pink salt loaded with toxins and tell 'em it's
precious and good for them. (loud evil laughter).
I think the USDA tests this stuff but after hearing that 1% of
all china foodstuffs coming into US is rejected as "filthy"
and that is only the stuff they CATCH I think I'll take my table salt
thank you very much.

ladygoogoo
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Well i've got some and it states-also known as Kala Namak. Unrefined black salt is made from himalayan crystal rock using an ancient method. It does smell like sulphur-but then sulphur is good for you! I shall have to get my old Spell book out then!!

Just make sure you don't give any to cats. Sulphur is poisonous to
cats.

blue2
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
www.Detoxyourworld.com has kindly emailed me the paperwork they hold on analysis breakdown on Himalayan Pink Salt. They do try to source good quality products. Hope it helps a bit.

Pakistan Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
Laboratories Complex,Ferozepur Road, Lahore-54600

TEST REPORT NO: ACRC/IC/2008/417/1239

Name & Address of Customer: Mr Hikmen (Pvt.) Ltd,RB-3,2nd Floor,Awami Complex, New Garden Town,Lahore.
Request Ref #& Date: Nil dated 11.07.2008 Sheet No: 1/1
Description of Sample: Rock Salt No of Sample(s) One
ILO Log#&Date 217 dated 11.07.2008 Ref Code#: IC/417
Method used /Specs:
1. Vogel's Text Book of Quantitative Chemical Analysis 6th Ed (2003)
2. Colorimetric Determination of Elements by G.R. Charlet (1964)

Statement of Non-compliance: - Testing Date: 14.07.2008

RESULTS
The provided sample of Rock Salt was analyzed as follows:

Chloride Contents as NaCI (%) 98.80
Magnesium as Mg2+ (mg/Kg) 450
Sulphate as SO 4/2- (small 4 is low down and 2 is up above) 6000
Iron as Fe2+ " 1.9
Copper as Cu2+ " < 0.5
Chromium as Cr3+ " <0.05
Hydrogen Carbonate as HCO 3/1+ " 300
Carbonate as CO 3/2- " <100
Bromide as Br1- " 25
Potassium as K1+ " 3200
Manganese as Mn2+ " 0.15

---------------------------------- END ---------------------------

Dr Muhammed Zia-ur-Rehman
Senior Scientific Officer
Section incharge/TMR

Shahid Muhammed
Head
Applied Chemistry Research Centre

Signed by Director General but can't tell what name is!
Tel: ++92 42 5877429 PABX No. ++92 42 9230688-95 Fax. ++92 42 9230705
Email: [email protected] - Website http://www.brain.net.pk/-pcsir/hr.htm

The second page basically states
Results: Analysis of Salt

Parameters - Unit - Values Found
Cadmium as Cd++ mg/Kg Not detected
Arsenic as As +++ " Not detected
Mercury as Hg++ " Not detected
Lead as Pb++ " Not detected

I did ask about Celtic sea salt but it seems they do not sell it-now.
If anyone can get hold of an Analysis from online source of Celtic sea salt it would be good.

By the way as an aside The Seer Centre in Scotland sell Rock Dust to re mineralise soil they i think give a breakdown on their site of this.

gaias child
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
This is what David Favor says, his step by step guide is really worth a read if serious about health and immune system. I have no idea whether it is true but worth considering

http://radicalhealth.com/raw-food-diet/guides/product-sources.html

Himalayan Salt is another quiet offender. We source our own Himalayan Salt now because most Himalayan Salt is ground with low grade, soft Nickel grinders. This outcome of this is most Himalayan Salt is full of atomized Nickel dust, which is far more toxic than Mercury

David Favor sells a nickel free sunfire salt which has himalyan salt in it

http://www.lovingsuperfoods.com/rawfood/sunfiresalt.html

I use fleur de sel on the recommedation of Dr David Jubb, he had some info on himalayan salt too but his website has been down the last few days.

gnosis_dub
13-05-2010, 01:39 AM
For those who would like to try Himalayan Salt, this place sales it for 2,59 per lb and FREE shipping :D for 10lbs or more.

http://www.sfbsc.com/himalayan-salts?gclid=CM670bvuzaECFRwtswoduU6GJw

blue2
13-05-2010, 12:16 PM
For those who would like to try Himalayan Salt, this place sales it for 2,59 per lb and FREE shipping :D for 10lbs or more.

http://www.sfbsc.com/himalayan-salts?gclid=CM670bvuzaECFRwtswoduU6GJw

Is the cheapness not a warning sign of bad things? I'd like to see the analysis on it.

blue2
13-05-2010, 12:23 PM
However i have taken a look on the site and it is nice goodies but in San Franciso so wouldn't be free shipping at all for UK.

blue2
13-05-2010, 12:28 PM
This is what David Favor says, his step by step guide is really worth a read if serious about health and immune system. I have no idea whether it is true but worth considering

I use fleur de sel on the recommedation of Dr David Jubb, he had some info on himalayan salt too but his website has been down the last few days.

Mmm i have a nickel allergy like in jewellry but haven't found any untoward issues with the Himalayan pink salt it doesn't seem to do harm,not that noticed anwyay. I've not heard of Dr Jubb !! But shall look into it. It is always good to get other informations and sites for folks to make informed decisions.

blue2
13-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Just make sure you don't give any to cats. Sulphur is poisonous to
cats.

Oh my i wouldn't have known that one! well what a good idea sprinkle in my garden for neighbours pesky cats huh!!! n get my old spell book on the go-joking:) so longas they don't die on my patch!! How or why is it considered poison to cats? Where did you find it out?

xpleet
13-05-2010, 03:58 PM
There is no fluoride in the crystal rock salt of Pakistan or anywhere else.

But there is fluorite which is calcium+fluorine and it is said to be relatively insoluble hence not very harmful. Sodium fluoride on the other hand dissolves quickly and forms fluorite in the body by stealing the calcium from brain and bones.

The original article didn't even state that, so it's bull.

kind regards,

Paul

coco
13-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh my i wouldn't have known that one! well what a good idea sprinkle in my garden for neighbours pesky cats huh!!! n get my old spell book on the go-joking:) so longas they don't die on my patch!! How or why is it considered poison to cats? Where did you find it out?

I've also heard that you should not give an aspirin to cats as well.

pacoquerak
13-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Do you have a list of ingredients on your salt packet, if yes could you post them on here.

there was a list of minerals in parts per million already listed, i believe by the OP, this is the information i was referencing

neville fan
22-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I get my pink salt from Trader Joe's. Anybody know if it's good or not?

disorder2k8
22-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Lol, the whole of the New Age movement is a scam, nothing new here. :p

indigowarrior
23-06-2010, 01:57 AM
How is salt a new age movement?

disorder2k8
25-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Its all about the 'cleansing' and 'detoxification' which is tried in with a lot of supposedly 'natural' cures and products for general wellbeing, like this salt. There are many different natural remedies but most of the time it will claim to do many things which it does not, or at the very least only effects a minority or works because the user only believes it does. (which is a grey area.. geddit!? lol)

A lot of the new age movement uses a lot of energy/spirit/cleansing type stuff and these products IMHO are an extension of it.

Detoxification happens by the body automatically as long as you dont bombard it with crap all the time it will recover and is very resilient.

You don't need anything special to make your body do what it does naturally, its already pretty special as it is. Just take care of it in a normal way and if you happen to like a lot of cake remember that your body will put it somewhere! :rolleyes:

As for New Age beliefs (and by extension, mystical curios, elixirs and whatnot) being a scam, well that is up to the individual and everyone is entitled to believe what they wish but they should be wary of people trying to make money from them. Products that make claims such as this should always be scrutinised thoroughly.

astrochicken
25-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Another thing i read a couple of years ago was in regards to "basmati" rice
indigenous to the Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh regions of India.

GM *basmati* rice, patented by Rice-Tec, was introduced to India in the late 90's and has led to the suicide of hundreds of thousands of farmers due to their having to pay royalties to monsanto. The effects on ones health are of course under-reported and largely ignored. I mean which company is going to print on their packaging "12 out of 15 mice died eating this".

More stuff to read (http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=13820)

waterbenefits
10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to find this article on Barbara Hendel's book and Himalayan Salt. Thank you such Dalem!

I had my own doubts about her after reading the "Water and Salt" book, and seeing that actually she's using the information given by the (defunct now) Dr. Batmanghelidj's in the publication called Health Miracles in Water & Salt.

I made a link to this article on my own salt related page.

Please don't associate this scam with the real Health Benefits of Salt.
Salt is very important for our health and we shouldn't disregard this:

http://www.health-benefit-of-water.com/sea-salt.html

sicknote
14-10-2011, 07:16 PM
This $hit made my skin worse. :mad:

princessofwands
15-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Well I have an unopened packet of "Himalayan Rose Pink Crystal Salt - Coarse" from Profusion Organic. I don't know whether to use it or not when my current sea salt runs out. I decided not to buy sea salt any more since the Fukushima disaster (which is probably still pouring radioactive particles into the sea).

deetox
15-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Well I have an unopened packet of "Himalayan Rose Pink Crystal Salt - Coarse" from Profusion Organic. I don't know whether to use it or not when my current sea salt runs out. I decided not to buy sea salt any more since the Fukushima disaster (which is probably still pouring radioactive particles into the sea).

Himalayan sea salt isn't extracted from sea water, its mined from salt caves that were formed 250 million years ago.

shiyoken
15-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Thats the one I got. Profusion brought from Amazon? I recently just placed a order for the fine version but I have the rocks and coarse in my wardrobe still.

Its one of those really, I'll read the article again a couple of time to see if it resonates with me but is there any way of finding out you got a good batch of salt? Does the negative effects way out the positives?

Shit is pissing me off, why can't we have anything for our health that hasn't been tampered with. The NWO needs to go.

al209
15-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Sel de guerande aka Celtic sea salt. Unprocessed sea salt from France. That's what u want. The pink shit is no good.

domathy
16-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I brought back 1/3 ton of pink salt in a landrover direct from a mine in morocco (in about 5 big lumps) so i know thats good stuff.

I also use this as it is the best comercially available salt from an excellent source:
http://www.realsalt.com/

Good thread - thanks for the heads-up :eek:

domathy
16-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Are the minerals in the pink salt trace minerals?

Lead, Arsenic, Aluminum and Mercury…
Vital Trace Elements or Toxic Poisons?
by Dr. William J. Saccoman
Did you know that an apple contains 3-5 mg of aluminum and trace amounts of lead, arsenic and mercury? Micro or trace minerals are essential for good health if they come from an organic or plant source. In contrast, if they come from an inorganic or metallic source, such as heavy metals, they are toxic. For example, iodine in an organic form is necessary for health. Non-organic or metallic iodine in the same amount can kill you.Why are people frightened of these trace minerals? The reason is well understood.
There have been numerous deaths and birth defects caused by heavy metal poisoning from metals such as lead. People have used arsenic as a poison and pesticide for centuries. The news is filled with grim reports about these substances. However, little is said about the all-critical source. Is it organic or inorganic?

Organic trace minerals are not deposited in the body like inorganic forms of these elements.
Research shows that organic plant-derived trace minerals will actually replace the heavy metals deposited in the body. The heavy metals are then flushed from the body.

There is a huge difference between an organic and an inorganic mineral.
Once a plant source utilizes minerals from the ground, they are digested, making them ionic or electrical in nature. This makes it easier for the body to assimilate and use the minerals at a cellular level. Subsequently, they are not stored or deposited somewhere else in the body. Trace minerals in their inorganic form are not easy for the body to use. They are stored in the tissues and eventually large amounts build up and become extremely toxic.

In the late 1980s an interesting experiment was conducted by Gary Price Todd, MD, author of the book Nutrition, Health and Disease. The study involved individuals with heavy metal poisoning, specifically lead, mercury, cadmium and aluminum. Patients were placed on a program of full spectrum bio-available organic, micro trace minerals.

After 16 months the study demonstrated reduced levels of toxic metals in the patients. They concluded that organic, ionic minerals naturally chelate or remove the inorganic minerals from the body. Furthermore, ionic minerals cannot be stored in the body for longer than a few hours, they are much like the water soluble vitamins; therefore they cannot build up to toxic levels in the soft tissues. (Todd, Gary P. Unpublished Observations, The Institute of Nutritional Science Journal, June 1996, 1:1).

Another study on trace minerals and detoxification was conducted by Dr. Michael Zimmerman, Chief of Staff of the Specialized Clinic for Chronic Illnesses and Therapy Resistant Patients and Biophysicist, Dr. Fritz Albert Popp in Uberlingen, Germany. They concluded that trace minerals were not toxic, but rather assisted the cells' vital functions and enhanced detoxification as well as accelerated the healing process of chronic illness. (Popp, Fritz Albert. Bio-electronic Response of Cellular Stimulation).

Like lead, mercury and other metals, arsenic is toxic when it comes from an inorganic source. However, from an organic source it is an essential micro-mineral needed by the body in minute quantities (The Nutrition Bible, Joan Anderson and Barbara Deskins, 1995). In a recent study where organic arsenic was given to 12 patients with leukemia, 11 went into remission. The treatment apparently stops cancer cells from reproducing and then they self-destruct (New England Journal of Medicine, November 1998).

alexc
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
It's salt. If it's not white, it's contaminated. You'd get a healthier dose of "trace minerals" from some blueberries or sardines.

gnosis_dub
21-12-2011, 03:59 AM
To OP, I think you found a fear mongering article:(

Here is some more good info on Himalayan Salt:
http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/

I wouldn't pay more than 7.00/lb. for it. Buy it from a reputable source like Whole Foods.

thirty3
22-12-2011, 12:00 AM
So if you were to drink a celtic sea salt drink what kind of amount are we talking.

1 teaspoon in a gallon ?? or more or less.

harvy
27-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I bought a shitload of it a while back, kind of been using it as a salt lick, works great for me, tingling chakras, this info doesnt resonate with me.

;) same here, dancing chakras, how it works is first for the detoxification of mind and body through herbs, fruits and veggies, then use it moderately, as in, take a week off

harvy
27-12-2011, 07:00 PM

:) +1

harvy
27-12-2011, 07:07 PM

from

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? That article is so POORLY referenced as to be considered a FRAUD or even a "hit piece" by the medical establishment, if I didn't know better. I think it's really just plain ignorance, actually.

Where does the article make reference to the different kinds of fluoride? It DOESN'T. So, it's very poorly referenced.

Where does it discriminate between the many fake "Himalayan Salts" from the original HCS which was the only one tested to have over 84 ionic minerals and trace elements versus the one with 25 minerals that is referenced?

That is clearly CRAP SALT they analyzed. It doesn't get clearer than that.

And, it's good to discriminate to make sure one isn't eating crap salt, as the article is correct in observing there are a lot of salts claiming to be Himalayan that are inferior. But, to say that ALL are inferior, is simply incorrect. The one that started it all and that was researched by Peter Ferreira is safe and healthy and has no add *sodium* fluoride, which is harmful. Only naturally occurring *calcium* fluoride which, if you read Wikipedia, is "considered relatively harmless due to its extreme insolubility."

To lump the original Himalayan Crystal Salt (which everyone is trying to claim is "theirs") into the same category as other "Himalayan Salt" (aka CRAP rock salt), is like comparing a Ferrari to a Volkswagen. There's no comparison.

This article is so POORLY referenced, with a lot of inaccurate information. Referring to it as a legitimate piece of research, to me, really draws into question the intelligence of those referring to it as a balanced, accurate and well-reasoned piece of research. It's not. It is ignorant at best, slanderous at worst. This is how legitimately GOOD health products get banned or controlled by the FDA. Unless you like throwing your health choices out the window, I suggest you DISCRIMINATE a little better and stop jumping on bandwagons as they pass you by.

I'm very health-conscious and I don't use fluoride toothpaste, but I will definitely continue to use my *Original* Himalayan Crystal Salt from the one company that started it all and whose product has yet to be matched by anyone, including "Celtic" sea salt: www.himalayancrystalsalt.com

It would appear that whoever said this, "and I love how the other comments are all from folks worried about their massive profit margins disappearing :)" would love to think I'm somehow profiting off HCS for posting this information, but I'm just a very satisfied user of their products and I've done my homework. You have not. Learn the difference in the fluorides. Learn the difference between the types of so-called "Himalayan Salt", and discriminate to separate the fact from the fiction, which that article clearly represents.

I can excuse ignorance, but not stupidity, which is what it becomes when one is exposed to the facts, yet then chooses to ignore them. "

nailed it +1 ;) peace

elshaper
27-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't mind anyone who doubts my post or has other concerns about it but, show me a packet of Himilayan Salt that clearly shows the ingredients. !!! It is required by EU law to show the ingredients.

EU laws states that:
It appears that the new regulation (http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/labellingnutrition/foodlabelling/proposed_legislation_en.htm) will not be applied till at least 2014, may be that's why it isn't quite there yet. Thanks for bring it up as I didn't know about the labelling regulation.

Sea salt is NO NO for me too since the radiation continues to be damped into the sea in Japan everyday. I also won't buy Celtic & Cornish sea salt because of radioactive stuff from Sellarfield. French is neck and neck too :eek: Hawaiian black sea salt is also iffy since radiation plume went over to Hawaii and to the west coast of Canada & USA.

So this leaves me with mined Himalayan sea salt which isn't supposed to be exposed to the environmental pollution providing that you obtain the salt analysis report. Salt is very important to us in the right amount to maintain the electolytes balance.

Himalayan Salt is another quiet offender. We source our own Himalayan Salt now because most Himalayan Salt is ground with low grade, soft Nickel grinders. This outcome of this is most Himalayan Salt is full of atomized Nickel dust, which is far more toxic than Mercury

David Favor may be selling nickel free salt but Hawaiian material and most polluted Chinese sea salt. I wouldn't touch it though it sounds good --> "original Ming Dynasty Saltworks".

Interesting you mention about the Nickel dust from the grinder :eek: I've been buying Profusion salt. Recently I've done a heavy metal test on myself and got a nickel poisoning result. OK, I can't say for sure that it is from the salt though. It is worth knowing about the grinder because even though the salt analysis might be ok, what's done afterwards is also important.

I wonder if it's better to buy chunks and crash it myself. :rolleyes:

giantmango
31-03-2012, 11:30 PM
and i'm sorry about the dodgy fuckers supplying your health shop with shite, it makes you wonder if there really is any such thing as genuine Himilayen salt doesn't it :(

ADVICE ON DISTILLED WATER! Not from me though, from Dr Gabriel Cousens.

He's the absolute guy you wanna be listening to if you want scientifically backed and constatly updated research from people that love you as themselves because we're all one haha.

Gabriel Cousens, Brian Clement and Viktoras Clovinski. Search on youtube and you will find videos talking about distilled water AND if you want (in my opinion) the fucking best and complete information in the world on diet and lifestyle with regards to spiritual life and the awakening of Kundalini READ SPIRITUAL NUTRITION by Gabriel Cousens. (talk about how to remineralize and put prana into your water and has the things you need on his shop website)
Or any of Brian Clements books for scientific research on everything you could imagine, he's intensely thorough and has really funny and perfect hair for a 70 year old.

Gabriels site and shop with a lot of info
www.treeoflife.nu
http://www.cultureoflifestore.com/

Hippocrates Health institute site
http://www.hippocratesinst.org/

Distilled water video by Gabriel and Brian
Gabriel Cousens on Distilled Water, Episode #251 - YouTube
Health Benefits of Drinking Pure Water - YouTube

giantmango
31-03-2012, 11:39 PM

Also this... for everyone

Brian Clemenet on Sodium
Brian Clement: Raw Food Diet and Best Salt - YouTube

Just to be clear..
Brian says the body only needs organic sodium and eating any kind of salt will cause the arteries to shrink or cease up a bit (not certian whether he said arteries but he compared it to when you put salt on a wound and it ceases up)

Gabriel seems to recommend it to remineralize your body and also remineralize water and to connect you with the earth energies.

But I doubt prolonged or daily use of some things is a bad idea.

And also this, because 2012 is exciting and I love Gabriel Cousens haha
Dr. Gabriel Cousens M.D. speaks on 2012 - YouTube

elshaper
01-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Giantmango, your first two posts are promoting salt is not good? mnn
I think salt is salt whether you sprinkle it or be it already in food.
We need right amount of salt to function properly that is to keep the balance of electrolyte which is very important. This stuff about 'Don't take salt' is rubbish.

northerner
11-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I came across this article when I was looking information on iodine and how iodized salt compares to sea salt and Himalayan salt. The problem here is that things just don’t add up. . . really. If you tally up the amounts of the elements in the article the total comes out to just over 1022 g/kg (1000 g) and that is just for the 25 elements listed, of the 84 in Himalayan salt. The problem with other charts I have come across is that they bounce around between g, mg, mcg and even ppm. So, by the time the figures get into another article there has sometimes been some confusion on the weights.

The amount of bromide per kilogram in most of the charts is 4010 mcg not mg. This would make the actual amount a thousand times less than indicated in this article, at 0.00401 grams/kg not 4 grams/kg. And fluoride should read 231 mcg, not mg (or 0.000231g/kg).

I do agree that Himalayan salt is a scam as for the price you pay for the benefits you may possibly get from the meager amount of good elements in the salt (I also think ‘Sea Salt’ is the same type of scam).

electric_kicks
10-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know the 'Pink Mountain Crystal Salt' by 'the Salt Seller' is the real deal? [www.thesaltseller.co.uk] Their website looks legitimate, right?

elshaper
10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I came across this article when I was looking information on iodine and how iodized salt compares to sea salt and Himalayan salt. The problem here is that things just don’t add up. . . really. If you tally up the amounts of the elements in the article the total comes out to just over 1022 g/kg (1000 g) and that is just for the 25 elements listed, of the 84 in Himalayan salt. The problem with other charts I have come across is that they bounce around between g, mg, mcg and even ppm. So, by the time the figures get into another article there has sometimes been some confusion on the weights.

The amount of bromide per kilogram in most of the charts is 4010 mcg not mg. This would make the actual amount a thousand times less than indicated in this article, at 0.00401 grams/kg not 4 grams/kg. And fluoride should read 231 mcg, not mg (or 0.000231g/kg).

I do agree that Himalayan salt is a scam as for the price you pay for the benefits you may possibly get from the meager amount of good elements in the salt (I also think ‘Sea Salt’ is the same type of scam).
So where is 'This article' ? :rolleyes:
One post wonder..... :p

master x
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
You need salt. Synthetic salt is baaaaad. Himalayan/sea salt has proper structure, plus some trace amounts of dozens of minerals and tastes nicer. Buying sea/Himalayan over synthetic table salt seems the obvious choice. I hardly see the scam in that. I can certainly tell the difference when I've had table salt of Himalayan. Do some sellers sell fake lower quality versions of products? Of course, but that can be said for essentially every human foodstuff...right?

princessofwands
12-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I had a bag of the pink stuff. After reading this thread, I decided not to put it in food but to dissolve it in my bath.

It didn't all dissolve. There were 'bits' that just sat there and I had to wipe them off the bath afterwards.

If it was all genuine salt, it should have all dissolved in hot water, shouldn't it? I was glad I hadn't added it to my food! I don't know what those bits were.

I'm sticking to the sea salt.

amber_dawn
13-04-2014, 04:48 AM
Yikes! I've been using the brand Harvest Sun which is from Pakistan.

http://www.organichorizons.ca/images/products/HarvestSun_Himalayan_Salt.jpg

It says 100 percent naturally pure, not refined and no chemicals added so wouldn't any fluoride or bromine be naturally occuring? If it's naturally occuring then using a bit in my food couldn't be too bad could it?

thermion
13-04-2014, 09:56 AM
You need salt. Synthetic salt is baaaaad. Himalayan/sea salt has proper structure, plus some trace amounts of dozens of minerals and tastes nicer. Buying sea/Himalayan over synthetic table salt seems the obvious choice. I hardly see the scam in that. I can certainly tell the difference when I've had table salt of Himalayan. Do some sellers sell fake lower quality versions of products? Of course, but that can be said for essentially every human foodstuff...right?

"Synthetic salt"? Where did you get that from? I don't think so.

The majority of British table salt come from Cheshire salt mines. If you're assuming "synthetic" salt comes as a side product from some industrial process, or is artificially made out of sodium and chlorine, no, it doesn't. That would be ridiculously expensive when it's already in the ground.

Salt from the ground is so cheap, why would any company make it? At least British salt is likely to have had some food safety tests, and I'm not aware of Cheshire salt being particularly contaminated with anything.

Nevertheless too much salt from mines, the sea or the Himalayas is not good for you!

Thermion.

noncooperation
13-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Mountain salt from underground in the european alps etc. but contains no iodine as far as i know.

noncooperation
13-04-2014, 11:56 AM
The only true test of this salt is to get it analyzed privately. I am going to ask my local university to take a look at the chemical/mineral content of it.
I really don't think there is a genuine Himilayan salt well, not that is good for you like they claim.
This is a quote fro Wikipedia but there is a lot of other info on the web.
getting it tested is a waste of money because unless you have a large amount, the next batch you buy might be labelled the same and from the same supply but could be different salt; so you would have to test it again!

amber_dawn
13-04-2014, 07:12 PM

me neither, after reading the post through I don't see a problem.

master x
13-04-2014, 08:09 PM
"Synthetic salt"? Where did you get that from? I don't think so.

The majority of British table salt come from Cheshire salt mines. If you're assuming "synthetic" salt comes as a side product from some industrial process, or is artificially made out of sodium and chlorine, no, it doesn't. That would be ridiculously expensive when it's already in the ground.

Salt from the ground is so cheap, why would any company make it? At least British salt is likely to have had some food safety tests, and I'm not aware of Cheshire salt being particularly contaminated with anything.

Nevertheless too much salt from mines, the sea or the Himalayas is not good for you!

Thermion.

Don't freak out, but I meant "refined" not synthetic. Not sure why I put that. But like most foodstuffs, processing damages it, depletes essential elements from it. Salt is no exception.

noncooperation
13-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Don't freak out, but I meant "refined" not synthetic. Not sure why I put that. But like most foodstuffs, processing damages it, depletes essential elements from it. Salt is no exception.
Pure industry produce sodium chloride could be classed as synthetic compare to 'natural' sea or rock salt.