PDA

View Full Version : Why does cigarettes smoke smell so bad?

shadowmoon
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I was at this friends house & he smokes heavily, when I get home later I realize how much tobacco smoke actually stinks.

:mad::(

That sour smell was in my hair and all over my clothes, MY coat had to go in the wash to get rid of the smell.

I don't remember that it was so stinky years ago?
My parents used to smoke and I must have stunk of it when I was a little kid too, but I can't remember it smelling so bad then..:confused:

So, why does cigarette smoke smell so bad?

hadabusa
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
maybe because its pretty toxic?

illuminumnuts
07-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Even when I used to smoke I always did it out my window. Never liked the smoke smell on my clothes.

sofa king
07-02-2010, 03:44 PM
burning anything smells.

burn some plastic or cotton

shadowmoon
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Maybe?

Its a BAD smell, you know some bad smells can be tolerable, but tobacco smoke to me is just a capitalised BAD smell.

I used to smoke rollies & they didn't have that stink you get from packet cigs.:confused:

ronisron
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM

+1. There's a lot of crap added to commercial tobacco "products".

shadowmoon
07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
burning anything smells.

burn some plastic or cotton

Marijuana has a nice burning smell, I can smell that and like it, baccy ugh..

newworldengineer
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
+1. There's a lot of crap added to commercial tobacco "products".

yes yes! I know that horrible dirty smell the OP's on about, I smoke quite a bit a day, but the tobacco I buy the smoke smells nice... infact that was one of the motivating factors to me smoking, the smell of it when my dad used to smoke whilst driving when I was younger was always a pleasant experience, even though I was against it then.

the apprentice
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
My friend smokes a pipe and some of the tobacco he buys smells really nice, stuff like cherry twist or black bogie, but when he lights it boy you could cure a side of bacon with it and when he is streesed at work and smiles at the end of the day Hewwie.

When we did our medical training back in the 80's we went to see an autopsy being done on a guy who had died from lung cancer due to smoking, boy I tell you, if every smoker had to see that they would want to give up smoking immediately, black tar running out of the alveoli and endo when cut open,

Wherargh.

sofa king
07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Marijuana has a nice burning smell, I can smell that and like it, baccy ugh..

I find marijuana smoke putrid as well. And I smoke both.

I don't know of too many things that smell okay when lit on fire.

mrindigo
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
There's a reason they're called "butts" and it isn't because they smell like roses. :D

eternal_spirit
07-02-2010, 06:02 PM
There's a reason they're called "butts" and it isn't because they smell like roses. :D
:D

Funny that which drops out of butts is good for the roses.

hadabusa
07-02-2010, 06:15 PM

hey, thats a state law breach and could get you expelled from your fraternity:D

ekim
07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
When we did our medical training back in the 80's we went to see an autopsy being done on a guy who had died from lung cancer due to smoking, boy I tell you, if every smoker had to see that they would want to give up smoking immediately, black tar running out of the alveoli and endo when cut open,

Wherargh.

Can you be sure this person wasn't a coal mine worker?

mrindigo
07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
:D

Funny that which drops out of butts is good for the roses.

Haha, true. It's funny how things work out like that. :D

the apprentice
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Can you be sure this person wasn't a coal mine worker?

He was a chain smoker 65 a day since a your boy, the smell was horrific and it ouzed out of the sections when they were squeezed OOOOOeeeeeeeeeeah :( you could run a refinery on what is in those lungs.

My friend the pipe smoker, when he coughs it sounds like a stuck clack valve in a set of fire bellows, bloody awfull.

Smoking is said to effect 1-16 people mortally.

fidokrab
07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. It smells so fake and artificial. Nothing like what real tobacco smells like. I know people like the smell of a tobacco pipe outdoors, it smells really pleasant, like coffee in the morning.

My friend the pipe smoker, when he coughs it sounds like a stuck clack valve in a set of fire bellows, bloody awfull.

He's probably inhaling pipe smoke, which is a big no-no. I don't think anybody is supposed to inhale any smoke, even cigarettes. Biggest cause of lung cancer is the inhaling. It's supposed to be puffed.

sofa king
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM
hey, thats a state law breach and could get you expelled from your fraternity:D

Depends on where and what your medical situation is.

Many jurisdictions have decriminalized minor amounts :D

But I do pay taxes and drive the speed limit...

hadabusa
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Depends on where and what your medical situation is.

Many jurisdictions have decriminalized minor amounts :D

But I do pay taxes and drive the speed limit...

youre really a sympatic fellow:cool:

thedefender
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Cigarettes smell bad because they are garbage.

http://trcs.wikispaces.com/file/view/Marlboro.jpg/43385955/Marlboro.jpg

Look at the box. When you lift it open to grab a smoke your are lifting the capstone off the pyramid. Agenda if I ever saw one. Enough said!

branjo
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Its the shit people try and pass off as perfume and aftershave that smells like cats piss, I find those more nasally offensive.

I smoke organic 100% additive free tobacco, and I loves it.

the apprentice
07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
He's probably inhaling pipe smoke, which is a big no-no. I don't think anybody is supposed to inhale any smoke, even cigarettes. Biggest cause of lung cancer is the inhaling. It's supposed to be puffed.

He sure does toke on that pipe and it gurgles as he goes/tarry sound bubbling and straight into his lungs and out the nose, nasal hairs tarry too, Baghhhhh.

11kushna11
07-02-2010, 10:46 PM
The question: How can we keep the populace unfit, unhealthy, broke, lower their life expectancy AND force them to pay extra tax on low-cost produce through addiction and dependency?

red_ram
07-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, the smell's pretty nasty.

This is my beef with smokers. I don't care about the health implications of their habit, it's the smell. None of them seem to get it through their heads that this is why we non-smokers complain about them so much.

I have considered standing next to one and breaking wind constantly for five minutes straight in order to get my point across.

ellis_deatrip
08-02-2010, 12:12 AM
maybe because you're programmed to think it smells bad , the strong scent of feces in the middle of sex doesn't ruin the mood of a fecalphiliac.:eek:
It's all preception.;)
Interesting article here (http://snardfarker.ning.com/profiles/blogs/attn-cigarette-smokers-lung) for those that think tobacco smoke kills you.

red_ram
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Interesting article here (http://snardfarker.ning.com/profiles/blogs/attn-cigarette-smokers-lung) for those that think tobacco smoke kills you.

I've wondered about this issue for a while. Just how much did lung cancer from smoking go up when the link was made?

batou
08-02-2010, 12:24 AM
maybe because you're programmed to think it smells bad , the strong scent of feces in the middle of sex doesn't ruin the mood of a fecalphiliac.:eek:
It's all preception.;)

2 girls 1 cup?? :(

11kushna11
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I don't mind the scent of tobacco personally but let's not fall into the trap of thinking we've been lied to and that cigarettes aren't bad for you etc... the studies linking smoking to lung cancer are correlative and so not definitive but there is plently of medical evidence to suggest that smoking affects fertility, circulation, pulminary disease and increases the risk of many others. It makes your skin look older and your teeth yellow. It will cost you upwards of a fiver for a packet now, money that you're pissing up the drain to take stupid risks with your health.

Oh and I smoked up until a few months ago, and I even went through the whole 'It's not as bad as we're told' stage for many years. But honestly, giving up is one of the wisest choices I've made in life.

ennui
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2876/partsofcigarette.gif

Here’s the who’s who of the most toxic ingredients used to make cigarettes tastier, and more quickly, effectively addictive:

Ammonia: Household cleaner.
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons.
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber.
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid.
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas.
Cadmium: Used in batteries.
Cyanide: Lethal poison.
DDT: A banned insecticide.
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals.
Lead: Poisonous in high doses.
Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead specimens.
Methoprene: Insecticide.
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics.
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs.
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India, in 1984.
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element.

For the whole list of 599 additives used in cigarettes, see the BBC Worldservice page What’s in a Cigarette (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/features/health/tobaccotrial/inacigarette599.htm).

ellis_deatrip
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM
2 girls 1 cup?? :(
Why do some dogs, especially puppies, like to eat poop? 2 dogs ,1 cup?
"The word "science," meaning knowledge, and the word "shit," from the Old English scitan, both apparently derive from the same ancient Indo-European root, as does the Greek word from which scatology is derived."
- Excursions in Scientific, Cultural, and Socio-Historical Coprology
Written by Ralph A. Lewin

batou
08-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Probably because they're dogs and they eat roadkill too given the chance.
There's no fucking way you can justify eating shit to me dude.

branjo
08-02-2010, 02:07 AM
I stopped smoking ciggs for basically the damn price of them, and when I was smoking the organic American spirit rolling tobacco which is "just" tobacco and nothing else, I was going through withdrawals of cigarettes. All I was getting was nicotine from the tobacco and nothing else, which proved to me that its never really been about the actual tobacco. Its always been about the additives. Now I can smoke every other hour and I feel less addicted. With Ciggs it would only be like 20 minutes and then I would catch site of the cigg box and it would eat at me until I got up and had one. Not because of the tobacco but because of the drugs and chemicals in them.

Its basically the same as street heroin, its the additives that make it deadly not what its proclaimed to be. All these cancer test are done with cigarettes in mind. It dawned on me also that why is anyone targeting people that smoke, its not the people its the companies. Non smokers who constantly whine (not all of you), actually mentally stop people quitting with your holier than thou attitude. Your just being manipulated too to regard smokers as non people, just more a hindrance to your quite life, yet another divide given to you.

They could have forced all restaurants and places where you could smoke, to upgrade their air conditioning that will remove all cigarette smoke, instead they say you just can't smoke there. There is a chain of restaurants called The Olive Garden here in the US that I used to take the wife to, really nice places. They had a steady bottom to top air movement around the non smoking section, all the smoke went straight upwards. The air was actually cleaner with them than the non smoking section, as in the non smoking section you could smell other peoples food because of the still air. Again a better air system, is ten times more hygienic as still air.

So if anyone wanted to say "promote" something like the spread of a "flu virus", a clean still air environment would actually be far more effective than a actively cleaned one. I would hazard a guess that smoke in the air isn't the best environment for a pathogen to spread in, I may be wrong about that but common sense would lead me in the other direction.

They could have mandated that bars do the same. Now in bars, half the people have to get up and leave to have a smoke. Instead of the owners being forced to provide an all round protection from many things like airborne pathogens and any smell whatsoever, they just blamed the loyal customers habit. Yet they didn't say anyone who feels like sneezing has to go outside to do it or you get fined, and the common flu kills 40,000 people a year here.

Its pitiful that the people excuse their powerlessness on the people who smoke, rather than direct it at the cigarette companies. They are the ones that cause the cancer, not the smokers. They are the ones who make ciggs as toxic as they can, to prep up the Phrama industry. I love how doctors always advise you stop smoking, if everyone stopped smoking they would be looking for another goddamn career in a year or two....lol.

With regards to "indoors smoking" I have always asked people do they mind, and if they do, then I don't light up. But for someone to have the nerve to tell me outside like on a park bench could I put that out, I would tell them to take their complaints to another bench. You can't smell carbon Monoxide on city streets, but its there like an invisible fog singeing your lungs and affecting your brain, yet non smokers aren't running up to traffic lights when they turn red and asking people to please switch off their cars while its not moving anywhere as its bothering them.

graflok
08-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Cigarette smoke smells a lot worse today than it did back in the 1950s-60s.
I'm old enough to remember. I figure they must be putting a lot more
crap in them now.

Same with politicians.

freedomnonfighter
08-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Cigarette smoke smells a lot worse today than it did back in the 1950s-60s.
I'm old enough to remember. I fugure they must be putting a lot more
crap in them now.

Same with politicians.
Lol :D

Reading that now - it is interesting food for thought
The numbers and statistics for anti-smoking have never made sense...

truth finder
08-02-2010, 05:27 AM

i agree, i smoke and i hate the smell it leaves, so i can only imagine what a none smoker feels.....i try and not smoke inside, but the odd rainy day brings me to light up inside....and choff smoke is teriable..:D

the apprentice
08-02-2010, 11:00 AM
The question: How can we keep the populace unfit, unhealthy, broke, lower their life expectancy AND force them to pay extra tax on low-cost produce through addiction and dependency?

Hi 11K11

There is in legal terms a form called indirect violence, in that the govenment knows that any substance that has scienitic backing towards the host being under threat or harm throught its host is liable for damages.

For instance when someone with a infectious chest infection, spits on the sidewalk and you then step in this sputum and subsequently get infected by the hosts disease shoe to hand etc, indirectly they could be prosecuted, AIDS is another and so on.

This is why the government have put the advert on the box saying, Smoking Kills and also bans the adverts on TV, the noose is closing on this passtime and eventually when the word gets out we might see something on foot being brought.

The government is saying its your free choice to buy and light that cigarette but they also have an incentive for you to do so, where money is involved the people have a case.

kanz
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I was at this friends house & he smokes heavily, when I get home later I realize how much tobacco smoke actually stinks.

:mad::(

That sour smell was in my hair and all over my clothes, MY coat had to go in the wash to get rid of the smell.

I don't remember that it was so stinky years ago?
My parents used to smoke and I must have stunk of it when I was a little kid too, but I can't remember it smelling so bad then..:confused:

Fags have a horrible smell , where as i find roll ups hardly smell at all. Ive heard its to do with the chemicals they use to treat the tobaco.

kanz
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah, the smell's pretty nasty.

This is my beef with smokers. I don't care about the health implications of their habit, it's the smell. None of them seem to get it through their heads that this is why we non-smokers complain about them so much.

I have considered standing next to one and breaking wind constantly for five minutes straight in order to get my point across.

Fire away , cause you know what id just walk away.

kanz
08-02-2010, 11:08 AM

I find it to be a good putrid if that makes any sence lol .

farros
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Its the shit people try and pass off as perfume and aftershave that smells like cats piss, I find those more nasally offensive.

I smoke organic 100% additive free tobacco, and I loves it.

No matter how you butter it up.

Your still putting shit into your lungs.

newworldengineer
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
No matter how you butter it up.

Your still putting shit into your lungs.

aww but they go great with a buttered pasterie..... *drools*

gremlin
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Disgusting habit, put smokers in a room and shut the door never let them out.;)

drhemp
08-02-2010, 01:13 PM
It is the ammonia in the cigarettes they add to make it burn and because they act on a part of the brain that puts both hemispheres in communication. Aspartame and preservatives do the same thing.

People are searching for an antidote, one will be found, so we we will see more people trusting themselves instead of their bestial preservation instinct, which is what aspartame, ammonia and stuff like that stimulates.

Codex Alimentarius was created for this precise purpose, to prepare the population and make them inoffensive and transform each individual into a money making machine for the govt.

synergy777
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
american spirit ciggies have no additives.

i smoke dunhill, they also have no additives.

drhemp
08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes if you must smoke, then buy the additive free ones, which are far less harmful as they don't have the poisons they deliberately add to shut you down.

griffinman
08-02-2010, 01:54 PM

I don't know, it's one of life's mysteries..
why do cigarettes smell so bad but taste so good? especially with a beer?

Mind you sometimes cigs smell soo good too... sweet.... and oh sOo..succulent
http://phasezero.ca/img/random/smoking.jpg

Am I right?
I'm not wrong.

karen3
08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
american spirit ciggies have no additives.

i smoke dunhill, they also have no additives.

I smoke Spirits too ... No additives, but the trade-off is they have quite a bit more tar than most brands.

the apprentice
08-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I remember a story a few years back when GMO's were just taking off and a tabacco company, can't remember which one now were caught GM-ing the plants to produce more nicotine and were fined, typical money making miserable shill trick, Heh.

the apprentice
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes if you must smoke, then buy the additive free ones, which are far less harmful as they don't have the poisons they deliberately add to shut you down.

They really know how to keep the home fires burning to make more money as you are not toking on one its burning away in, colour blue.

http://www.snakemannn.com/0nosmoke/11257767.JPG

margaretr
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I smoke home made cigs using tobacco grown in UK.
When I switched from manufactured cigs I noticed that I still craved them for a long time. Manufacturers additives are toxic and very addictive.

I am well aware that natural leaf nicotine is toxic and addictive too, but I consider it is less so. I smoke one third of the quantity I used to, without trying to cut down.

I only smoke in my own home, but am aware of the smell that guests may find distasteful. I found the cure for the smell by using those air purifying machines that use water to filter out airborne pollution.
They have various brandnames - Goodsphere, Rainbow Breezer, Perfect Aire - the same basic principle is used, where a fan extracts air from the room and passes it through spinning naturally scented water before releasing it back into the room.

I always make a point of asking non smoking guests whether they can smell cigarettes and they are invariably surprised that they cannot.

seercirra
08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
i quit smoking and now use a vaporizer for everything.

on the occassion when ive been out and unable to use the vape, ive found the taste of smoke to be really repulsive, much more so than before i quit.

if you get a vape its very easy to stop smoking, absolutely seamless. ofcourse your not cutting out ALL of the shit, but the vast majority, and you can still get a chronic nicotine rush, and ofcourse chuff your favourite herbs.

the apprentice
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I smoke home made cigs using tobacco grown in UK.
When I switched from manufactured cigs I noticed that I still craved them for a long time. Manufacturers additives are toxic and very addictive.

I am well aware that natural leaf nicotine is toxic and addictive too, but I consider it is less so. I smoke one third of the quantity I used to, without trying to cut down.

I only smoke in my own home, but am aware of the smell that guests may find distasteful. I found the cure for the smell by using those air purifying machines that use water to filter out airborne pollution.
They have various brandnames - Goodsphere, Rainbow Breezer, Perfect Aire - the same basic principle is used, where a fan extracts air from the room and passes it through spinning naturally scented water before releasing it back into the room.

I always make a point of asking non smoking guests whether they can smell cigarettes and they are invariably surprised that they cannot.

The very second that the industry realises that people are growing more of their own and their revenue drops dramatically they will do something to control its demise, either by legislation in the form of even higher taxes or control the seeds.

passing
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
...it depends who's smoking too... the more you dislike them the worse it smells!

I remember travelling by train in the smoking carriage (so I could smoke) - it was the most off-putting experience ever (apart from drinking the end of a beer with ash and butts in it)

...but some 'pipe' tobacco smells lovely...