PDA

View Full Version : Police support officers watched drowining boy

shodan
21-09-2007, 07:27 PM
because they were'nt trained in water rescue.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2505301.ece

A police leader called today for the scrapping of community support officers as outrage grew after two of them stood by a pond while a 10-year-old boy drowned.

Greater Manchester Police defended the pair’s decision that it would be dangerous to jump in because they lacked training in “water rescue”.

The family of Jordon Lyon demanded to know why the pair failed to help the child’s stepfather, a friend and a uniformed sergeant who all dived in to try and save the boy.

The stepdad Anthony Ganderton interrupted a police witness at the inquest to say: “You don't have to be trained to jump in after drowning child."

paolo
21-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Typical numbskulls, now drained into inertia by their lack of formula, issue and training.Can't do anything that's not on the schedule. Wishing they had a taser they could do something with. No empathy, no care. Scared cowardly uniformed uninformed rats. Couldn't wade out to find a drowning kid. Not their job. Shameful indictment of the police gophers.

whitenight639
22-09-2007, 02:16 AM
f*ck me it was a pond, i imagined it as a fast flowing river and i can understand them standing there if the kids half way down in strong currents it but its a 6ft deep pond! I cant understand from that story if the CSO's were there first or if there was an adult already in the water after the kid?
less computer games/ desensitizing violence and more swimming lessons!!

21_12_2012
22-09-2007, 02:16 AM
wankers

peachped
22-09-2007, 02:42 AM
They watched a drowning boy? I don't think so! Give over! FFS!:mad:

reptilianshapeshifter
22-09-2007, 08:06 AM
it said in the news yesterday that they couldn't actually see the person that was drowning. Also, from the picture it didn't look like a tiny pond either.

freedomnonfighter
22-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, well then it's okay that they did absolutely nothing, right? I mean.. that's just a child in there.... :rolleyes:

fransetter
22-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh, well then it's okay that they did absolutely nothing, right? I mean.. that's just a child in there.... :rolleyes:

Actually, by the time they got there, they couldn't see anyone. They had also been given the wrong location initially. The child was likely to have been dead by the time they arrived. There was a body underwater and it wasn't a small pond either, more of a small lake. Where would you start looking? would you dive in and keep on swimming underwater until you found the body? or would you have called the police and let them know there was likely to be a body under water so they could send out the right people, with the right equipment?

There are police who are trained for underwater recovery, and this would have been the appropriate course of action.

Nobody stood by and watched a child flaying around and then sinking. Only in the imagination of the press who were out for a good story. Even after the truth came out, the press continued on with their sensationalist ranting - with elements of the truth. What have they to gain?

graflok
22-09-2007, 08:42 AM

I guess they were only trained in beating people up. ;)

norton
22-09-2007, 09:18 AM
according to the mother of the unfortunate child they were there! I think it's pathetic. it just shows that some people want the badge and the power without doing the work! regardless of having training or not, wouldn't YOUR instinct be 'jump in and help the child' i know mine would have been, and i'm not exactly the best swimmer in the world.

Also, on a slightly different note, does anyone else agree that the police should be a minimum height and WEIGHT? the amount of scrawny little turds i see 'patrolling' the streets - on their own- is stupid. Not exactly a deterent, more a challenge for the 'scum' out there. Saying that, anyone who prevents the police state, even by a day or whatever gets the thumbs up in my book!

shodan
22-09-2007, 11:54 AM
It seems the only ones with any doubts about helping, were you know who. I hope they use the same discretion about using their tasers, shields, helmets, truncheons, and machine guns.

Boy dies in rescue bid
Amanda Crook
5/ 5/2007

A SCHOOLBOY who died after he jumped into a pond gave his life to save his younger stepsister.

Jordon Lyon, 10, from Wigan, died after he was rescued from a beauty spot, known as John Pitt Pond, in Standish Lower Ground in Wigan

Jordon had been playing with his two brothers, step-sister and step-brother at the edge of the water when nine-year-old Bethany got into difficulties.

Jordon tried to help her but then began to struggle himself. Two men who were fishing nearby heard the cries for help and one of them dived in to help, pulling Bethany on to the bank.

But, while they were helping her, Jordon disappeared under the water and despite repeated attempts they could not find him.

They rang for help and Jordon's family, from Bluebell Avenue, Beech Hill, rushed to the scene.

His stepfather Anthony and a friend Jerry Bowern joined the frantic search and managed to pull him out of the water but he had stopped breathing and was unconscious.

Police officers arrived at the scene and gave Jordon the kiss of life. He was then rushed to Preston Royal Infirmary by air ambulance.

Jordon, from Bluebell Avenue, Beech Hill, was moved to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital in Pendlebury but his condition deteriorated and he died.

Devastated

His friends and teachers at Beech Hill Primary School were devastated by the news and gathered to pay tribute to him.

Janet Seddon, headteacher, said: "The whole school has been devastated by the news of the tragic death of one of our pupils. Children, parents and staff are naturally very upset and struggling to come to terms with the situation.

"The news was broken to the children during a very sad and subdued assembly.

"Our thoughts and sympathy go out to the family at this very difficult and heart breaking time."

Last night Greater Manchester Police urged others to stay safe in the water this summer.

Det Chief Insp Phil Owen said: "The water in this case was more than two metres deep, which demonstrates how deceptive the depth of water can be.

"Water is also always deceptively cold, even on a hot summer day, and the strongest swimmer can be quickly overcome, developing cramp and getting into difficulty."

reptilianshapeshifter
22-09-2007, 11:55 AM
People should just stick to the facts rather than making emotional judgements. It's all very screaming about this and that but until you know exactly what happened ranting and raving it just stupid.

If they really stood by and did nothing when the could have done something then shame on them.

shodan
22-09-2007, 12:10 PM
People should just stick to the facts rather than making emotional judgements. It's all very screaming about this and that but until you know exactly what happened ranting and raving it just stupid.

I'm emotional about this, and ranting, so what, is that not perfectly normal after reading the article?. I'm sick to the back teeth of people in positions of power worming their way out of responsibility. 60,000 cops let off with speeding fines whilst others scrape the money together to pay. John Mendez shot in the head several times, then no restrictions on carrying a GUN. Tasers killing people. People dying in custody. Getting stopped in your car because your obeying the speed limit and thats suspicious, automated fines.

reptilianshapeshifter
22-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes but the point is there are conflicting reports!

You're not the only one pissed off in life with these people. I've just been guilty of accidental book keeping fraud and will be fined or sent to jail in the future. While in the last 4 months a friend has been raped, another one had her stuff stolen and the company I work for was broken into and ransacked. In all instances the police failed to visit the crime scenes and only took reports. Yet there's me who has never stolen or hurt anyone in his life and I am being fucked in the ass.

In the first case she knew the guy who raped her and and the 2nd one the thief accidentally texted pictures from her camera phone to my ex partner so they knew exactly who had stolen the stuff too.

All I am saying is don't be sucked into the media hype (the very people you point the finger at for manipulation). Some reports make it sound like they stood there watching a person drown in front of their eyes and other reports say the couldn't even see the person in the water.

After the Madeleine situation has been shown in the media like a soap opera it's obvious they are always looking for people to be outraged and sensationalise everything.

shodan
22-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I hear you man, I agree.

notaslave
22-09-2007, 03:51 PM
You're not the only one pissed off in life with these people. I've just been guilty of accidental book keeping fraud and will be fined or sent to jail in the future.

Don't go to jail, do this (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=387957).

shodan
22-09-2007, 10:25 PM
The Daily Mirrors take on this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/09/22/fury-after-cop-support-duo-left-boy-to-drown-89520-19829255/

Fury after cop support duo left boy to drown
Officers not 'trained' to pull Jordon, 10, from pond
By Paul Byrne 22/09/2007
Related Articles
Heskey to miss Euro games
Wigan 1-1 Fulham
Wigan 20-12 St Helens
Grant wants Fitz
More Top Stories
Have your say: Top Stories forum
A family yesterday slammed two police community support officers who stood by as a boy of 10 drowned in a pond.

The officers were not "trained" to enter the 6ft water to save struggling Jordon Lyon, a police spokesman said.

But Jordon's furious mum Tracy declared: "If you see a child drowning you automatically try to save him. I want these officers named."

Jordon's stepdad Anthony Ganderton, who went to the youngster's rescue, said earlier: "When I got there, the PCSOs were just standing there watching.

Advertisement
"You don't have to be trained to jump in the water after a drowning child."

The Police Federation said: "PCSOs are a failed experiment. They should be done away with. The public are being fooled - these people are only dressed as police."

shodan
23-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Speechless.

The emergency services are being told not to attempt to save drowning people because of health and safety restrictions, it has emerged.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2512401.ece

Amid a growing row over the failure of two police support officers to try to save a boy from drowning, both the police and the fire service disclosed this weekend that their frontline staff are instructed not to enter the water in case they put themselves in danger.

Officers are no longer required to be trained in swimming or lifesaving. One police force closed its training pool five years ago for health and safety reasons after an accident and it has not reopened.

An inquest last week heard how two police community support officers (PCSOs) had stood by while a 10-year-old boy drowned in a pond in Wigan. Senior officers with the Greater Manchester force, which employed them, said they acted “correctly”.

freedomnonfighter
23-09-2007, 02:29 AM
"Amid a growing row over the failure of two police support officers to try to save a boy from drowning*, both the police and the fire service disclosed this weekend that their frontline staff are instructed not to enter the water in case they put themselves in danger."

Isn't that there freaking job? Jesus...

Joining the Police or the Fire-Fighters is NOT a safe job in the first place.

* "over the failure of two police support officers to try to save a boy from drowning" - I love how this is phrased, as if they even made an attempt.

limelady
23-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Typical numbskulls, now drained into inertia by their lack of formula, issue and training.Can't do anything that's not on the schedule. Wishing they had a taser they could do something with. No empathy, no care. Scared cowardly uniformed uninformed rats. Couldn't wade out to find a drowning kid. Not their job. Shameful indictment of the police gophers.

Indeed!

Once again they didn't use the natural adrenaline burst you get at times like this to do the right thing!

Unbelievable! The people were either so programmed down or so frightened of drowing themselves (fear), they stood like vegetables and let a child die! :eek:

MFG....I'm not trained at "water rescue" either, but the hell I would have stood there and done nothing......I'd have been in that water immediately with no fear for my own survival. Maybe its just a mother's natural instinct to do this?

I think the de-humanising programming has been SO effective, its actually now over-ridden all else. Even elephants will use their joint efforts to rescue one of their young.

What does that say about those 'wet-blankets' that just stood there? :rolleyes:

Yep...totally unbelievable!

lottie
23-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I'd say the Justice System/Police Force in this country is failing....ive got a great idea.....

A One World Police Force.....That'll solve all our problems!!!:eek:

ilponn
23-09-2007, 12:51 PM
the police don't stop crime in one bit all they do is control the sheep.

the police don't protect anyone ,because they get there after the crime has been committed.

they police us to control us that is all

but the police are losing faith with there own masters because they have been lied to as well.

which police man will give his life for the pay he gets not one only the ones that are sucked in.

maxuk
23-09-2007, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=ilponn;134471]the police don't stop crime in one bit all they do is control the sheep.

the police don't protect anyone ,because they get there after the crime has been committed.

they police us to control us that is all

QUOTE]

Thats a rather blinkered view that is incredibily insulting to those who have died in the line of duty to protect others and risk their lives daily, don't you think?

Max

peachped
23-09-2007, 10:36 PM
The police are there to protect the interests of the elite.

http://www.filmlondon.org.uk/image_library/20/33/695.JPG
http://portales.educared.net/convivenciaescolar/contenidos/police_headwear_1.jpg

trumansho
24-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Sad,Sad,SAd. This shit is ridiculous how these nazi police acts.

king
24-09-2007, 01:03 AM

OMG!

this cannot be real!

"not trained in water rescue"???

faaak me!

argh

my father saved couple of the people that were drowning in 2 separate events from a large river.

all that he had to do is jump in and pull the person(s) out on shore by floating him on his back while pulling him by his hair.

he told me that he used common sense and did not allow the person who was drowning to hold on to his (my father's) wrists, which is a typical of those who are drowning.

this goes well with statements of globalists that "soon public will be unable to think"

argh .. (again)

notaslave
24-09-2007, 07:45 AM
It runs in my mind that there was a case years ago where someone was charged for not helping to save someone's life. I will go see if I can find out exactly what the charge was but it was many years ago so may not be online.

notaslave
24-09-2007, 07:55 AM
There are a limited number of relationships where courts in the United Kingdom have found that a positive duty to protect another person exists. For example, a case in 1978 held liable a student ice-cream seller who failed to warn a 4 year old child of the danger of an oncoming car. Other relationships which would be likely to fall within the same bracket would be that of a parent or teacher for the safety of a child, of a doctor or nurse responsible for the health and well-being of a patient under their professional care, or of a police officer under a duty to render help to the public as part of his job description.

http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/legal.htm

memory for law doesnt usually let me down lol. In UK law we are based mainly on "what the reasonable man in the street would do". I would say the reasonable man in the street, if he could swim, would have attempted to save the childs life.

notaslave
24-09-2007, 09:12 AM
In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece

[note to Pedsi - read the link and be very careful in York]

freedomnonfighter
24-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Here in Florida, all our cop cars say on the side:
"To Protect and Serve"

WHOM they are Protecting and Serving, is quite obvious.

synak
24-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Here in Florida, all our cop cars say on the side:
"To Protect and Serve"

WHOM they are Protecting and Serving, is quite obvious.

Indeed I've always known those words to mean exactly what is written. Truly a shame some people think its us they are protecting & serving. Love the avatar btw.

http://i11.tinypic.com/628htu8.jpg

peachped
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Give Jordon George Cross (online petition)

The Wigan Observer and wigantoday.net have called for heroic schoolboy Jordon Lyon to receive the George Cross.

Brave Jordon, of Bluebell Avenue, Beech Hill, showed extraordinary courage when he jumped into the John Pit pond in Standish Lower Ground to save his young sister from drowning - costing him his own young life.
Recent discussion of the case has focussed in the controversial actions of the Police Community Support Officers who failed to attempt to rescue Jordon.

http://www.wigantoday.net/wigan-news/Give-Jordon-George-Cross-40online.3253432.jp